• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
choodi said:
Christmas cant come soon enough! I'm dying to play all my new games...ahhhhhhhhh!

In my case it's more like I'm dying to see what I get for Xmas so I can put together an order for 7 wonders. :lol

I still have no idea what I'm getting, but it looks like Power Grid expansions are the most likely candidate along with a few smaller games.

StoOgE

platypotamus said:
I may try to figure out how to do that tomorrow. I tried once and it made no sense to me.

It's easy. You go into the geeklist and add the games you want to trade to it. (Click on Add Item, then search for your game). Be sure and put the condition, edition and where you will ship to.

Then go on this website (you'll have to wait a bit for someone to refresh the website): http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/ and select which games you want and check off which games you are willing to trade for it.

It will then try and match as many trades as possible once it closes. So be careful.. if you tell the system you will trade a copy of Dune for LCR it will do just that.

I'm going to try some cash money (in the form of gift certs) to try and get big items. Those things go like nuts.

Sweet, I'll watch the video in the morning and start setting it up. Bug you guys with questions as necessary.

I kinda wish it was AFTER the holiday though...

Vinci

Danish
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I always feel like an asshole when I return gifts. Unless it's completely terribad I usually hang on to it then toss it years later after the guilt wears off. The only exception to the rule is when there is an obvious lack of effort with the gift.

Well, it wasn't exactly a well thought-out process either. They asked me for a game title that I'd like to get. They gave me a week to research. I get back to them three days later, and they're like, "Oh, we already got you something."

Not well played. So yeah, they have assured me it's a really 'great gift,' so I'm hoping they're just playing dumb with me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sounds like a setup for a gag gift

edit: oh yeah btw stooge, someone posted on bgg that it took them like a month to get their Indian . . . so yeah . . .

Mashing

Hey Astro, would you consider adding a solitary game category (yeah, I know boardgaming is a social hobby and is probably not what you're looking to accomplish with this thread--so it's up to you)? I'd like to know what is still fun to play solo (I've ordered AH as I've read that is still pretty damn good with 1 player). If it's too mu ch trouble or you don't have a lot of experience when that type of game, then that's fine. It seems to me most solitary games are war games. I'm not ready for the complexity or math required to play those yet.

Most solitaire games are just optional play modes to other games, not really that many pure solitaire games. Maybe a list of games with a solitair component would be nice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mashing said:
Hey Astro, would you consider adding a solitary game category (yeah, I know boardgaming is a social hobby and is probably not what you're looking to accomplish with this thread--so it's up to you)? I'd like to know what is still fun to play solo (I've ordered AH as I've read that is still pretty damn good with 1 player). If it's too mu ch trouble or you don't have a lot of experience when that type of game, then that's fine. It seems to me most solitary games are war games. I'm not ready for the complexity or math required to play those yet.
Someone asked about this a couple of months ago but frankly my experience and even knowledge about solo boardgaming is almost nothing. I've solo'd Arkham Horror a couple of times (while I was learning the game) and it's fun but that's about it. Race for the Galaxy expansions also have solo play, but I don't know why anyone would really bother with that when the Keldon AI does a pretty good job of simulating playing with real players and is free.

Check out geeklists on boardgamegeek, just search for solo or solitaire in the the geeklist title and I'm sure you'll find dozens of great recommendations.

So many tracks and shit to keep track of in Labyrinth, was Twilight Struggle like this? The rulebook doesn't really help with the lack of images to go with all the rules. Guess the solo mode will be needed to try and learn this game before I present it to others.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
So many tracks and shit to keep track of in Labyrinth, was Twilight Struggle like this? The rulebook doesn't really help with the lack of images to go with all the rules. Guess the solo mode will be needed to try and learn this game before I present it to others.
Labyrinth has a couple of extra layers of complexity for sure. Did you run through the solo game in the play guide though? It helps to sort of crystallize the information from the rulebook. That said, I was going to learn this and play it with my brother over the holidays, but I think I'm just going to teach TS (deluxe now!) instead. Labyrinth is just going to be too tough to teach fresh.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
edit: oh yeah btw stooge, someone posted on bgg that it took them like a month to get their Indian . . . so yeah . . .

Hmm.. so another 2 weeks or so?

Oh well. Not a huge deal, but I'd like to have it soonish.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Mashing said:
Thanks... I know it was a really weird request, so thanks for responding.
Oh no not weird at all, just one area of boardgaming where I have very little knowledge at all but that's still pretty big as you'll see on BGG (another similar area would be print n play games).

AstroLad said:
Labyrinth has a couple of extra layers of complexity for sure. Did you run through the solo game in the play guide though? It helps to sort of crystallize the information from the rulebook. That said, I was going to learn this and play it with my brother over the holidays, but I think I'm just going to teach TS (deluxe now!) instead. Labyrinth is just going to be too tough to teach fresh.

I was going to try the solo game from scratch, I usually hate running walkthroughs that hold your hand like the playbook, and tend to learn more on my own easier. I will probably just read the playbook to confirm I'm doing things right afterwards.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I needed the playbook to just understand the rules, not really as a walkthrough. (Although I'm not sure "hand holding" is pejorative in the context of a manual for a game like this.) Plus it's only a couple turns but it hits all the key points from the rulebook and has pics. It's basically like a compiled set of examples.

Also the solo game has a whole nother layer of rules as you probably noticed. Didn't bother to read it because I'm never going to play solo.

Oh Mashing, Labyrinth is another example of a solo game:

xoWcg.jpg

Easy peasy!

Sweet, got my games listed in the math trade, now the laborious task of choosing what I want from the trade, but avoiding things that I might get as Christmas presents.

Those videos are waaaaaay helpful btw.

AstroLad said:
I needed the playbook to just understand the rules, not really as a walkthrough. (Although I'm not sure "hand holding" is pejorative in the context of a manual for a game like this.) Plus it's only a couple turns but it hits all the key points from the rulebook and has pics. It's basically like a compiled set of examples.

Also the solo game has a whole nother layer of rules as you probably noticed. Didn't bother to read it because I'm never going to play solo.

Oh Mashing, Labyrinth is another example of a solo game:

xoWcg.jpg

Easy peasy!

Yea I will try the single or possibly just read through the playbook with everything out to make sense. Have an old buddy who works for Homeland and is a huge military guy who is drooling to play this.

StoOgE

Man,

I really want to play that Settlers of America game. It's getting some really positive buzz on the geek. It's basically Age of Steam mixed with Catan. Takes the Catan building and resource gathering mechanics and then has you using them to build rail networks and to power trains to deliver goods to opponents cities.

Should have played it at BGG.con.

:(

Flynn

StoOgE said:
Man,

I really want to play that Settlers of America game. It's getting some really positive buzz on the geek. It's basically Age of Steam mixed with Catan. Takes the Catan building and resource gathering mechanics and then has you using them to build rail networks and to power trains to deliver goods to opponents cities.

I've passed up two opportunities to play and have been a little sorry both times.

Mashing said:
For the most part you can play Co-Op games solitaire. You just need to play as two characters. Here is a list of Co-Op games I played using a couple characters:
Pandemic
Lord of the Rings (Kiniza version)
Red November
Arkham Horror

Here are a couple of games that include a solo variant out of the box that I have played:
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Agricola

Just a quick note about playing solo games, they are a really great way to familiarize yourself with the rules. Arkham Horror really benefits from solo play as it is a rather complex or "fiddly" game. When you introduce this game to new players it helps to have someone familiar with the rules to run the game. Hope this helps.

StoOgE said:
Man,

Here I thought it was just a re-theme on Settlers.

One can easily play Castle Ravenloft solo as well. It's purely coop with nothing unique about having multiple players, so one person can just sit down and go to town with any size adventure party.

StoOgE

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Here I thought it was just a re-theme on Settlers.

No, the map is a map of the US done in hexes. I looked at it at BGG Con and it looked pretty nice. It was pretty much always full though since it was in the Essen games room.

Settlers-of-America_Produktfoto.jpg

It's pretty interesting.. every time you build a city you produce a goods cube that can be shipped.

You use normal Catan resource mechanics to get cards (die roll, robber baron, etc) and then use them to create items you need. One nice thing is if you don't get any goods that round you get a gold piece. It costs 2 gold to buy any resource card you want, or one gold to use an opponents rails per turn.

You can build wagons.. once a wagon is built you use a resource (I think it's cattle, but I could be wrong) to move that wagon up to 3 spaces. Once it reaches a predetermined "city" space, it turns into a city and you take the wagon off the board.

You build railways like roads.. with the exception that you can build your railways through opponent cities (though your rail line still needs to be connected directly either to one of your rails or one of your cities).

Rails are the same. You use certain resource combo to make a train and then move it up to 3 hexes using coal. Once it reaches an opponent city, you get to deliver one of your produced goods cubes.

Once you have built all of your cities and shipped all of your goods, you win.

There is an interesting mechanic where some of the chits with numbers wind up moving from the East coast to the West coast to simulate depletion of raw material on the East coast during the move Westward.

Seems like a real fun game that you could teach in about 5 minutes to anyone who has played Catan before.

Oh god now I'm obsessed with this math trade. There's like almost 900 games in there.

I can pretty much instantly place some of them into one of these categories:

1. Don't want
2. Want, safe from christmas present
3. Want, not safe, don't add

But then there's a whole bunch of games that I feel the need to look up on BGG to find out if I'm interested. Normally that would just mean "eh, skip it, there's too many", but the more possibilities I have of getting rid of some of my stinkers, the happier I (and my wife!) will be.

StoOgE

platypotamus said:
But then there's a whole bunch of games that I feel the need to look up on BGG to find out if I'm interested. Normally that would just mean "eh, skip it, there's too many", but the more possibilities I have of getting rid of some of my stinkers, the happier I (and my wife!) will be.

Here is my strategy.

1) Add all of the games I super for sure know that I want. I then offer up all of my games on the block for trade. This is where stuff like Endeavor fit in. I won't trade Endeavor for anything unless I really want it since it is worth money.

2) Add games that I am willing to trade a stinker for. Then I offer up only games I will never play again for those.

Then I keep up with the new games as they are added.

Your strategy is correct.. the more games you are willing to give up a stinker for, the better your chances of getting rid of a stinker.

Once it is time to submit your want list don't forget to actually click "submit want list". Some people mess that part up.

StoOgE

platypotamus said:
Totally would have, the video didn't cover that! Thanks!

yeah, it only becomes available after the deadline to add games has passed. It's on the "edit your wants" page at the very top.

StoOgE

Quick win.

Looks like I am trading Endeavor for Dominion:Seaside

I'm about 5 dollar light on the "value".. though I love Dominion and pretty much think Endeavor is a horribly over-rated game with pretty pieces.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
stooge i got my bonus cards from the le havre charity thing. are they all supposed to be integrated into the base set? what about the two orange ones? not sure what the difference is between cleary sky & orange

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
stooge i got my bonus cards from the le havre charity thing. are they all supposed to be integrated into the base set? what about the two orange ones? not sure what the difference is between cleary sky & orange

oh complete rage.

Did you get the Rattletrap car and Wholesale Bakery with orange backgrounds by any chance?

If so, I'm flying to New Jersey to kill you. The Hudson is rife with bodies and they will never find yours.

Yes, the Special cards are all supposed to be integrated with the base special buildings cards. They are all a bit on the silly side, but not like the X deck where they are fundamentally game changing. On average you will get 1 or 2 of these new cards to show up in any given game, and they all work well with it.

The orange sunset background are from Le Grande Hameau expansion and can be kept with the rest of that expansion.. you can either mix that expansion with the base sets special buildings or keep the expansion separate in it's own tuckbox. Some people like to play games with just cards from the expansion, but Uwe has said they were all made to be mixed together. The Special Building cards are what make each game unique.. so the more the merrier in my mind. I plan on mixing all of the special buildings together.

If the two orange cards are the ones I think they are (Rattletrap car and Wholesale bakery) they are this years Essen Promo cards. They got booted from the Grande Hameau to make room for two Errata cards for the base set. To this point no one has found a way to get them outside of Essen. I guess I ordered my set just a few days too early to get them :(

Looks like the Sub-saharan is getting 8 more of my Euros.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah those are the ones i have no idea how i got them. either it was timing or b/c i gave 20 bucks and just asked for the le havre promo

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
yeah those are the ones i have no idea how i got them. either it was timing or b/c i gave 20 bucks and just asked for the le havre promo

I'm guessing timing. They probably started handing out the leftover Essen promos with it and I happened to pull the trigger slightly too early.

I'll shoot them a second request and see if I can get the two cards for a 10er. If not, the money goes to a good cause.

You could send BGG into a rage if you let them know you got them. Just give it a few days for my request to go through first :lol

request away. We'll see what happens.

Mashing

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
For the most part you can play Co-Op games solitaire. You just need to play as two characters. Here is a list of Co-Op games I played using a couple characters:
Pandemic
Lord of the Rings (Kiniza version)
Red November
Arkham Horror

Here are a couple of games that include a solo variant out of the box that I have played:
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Agricola

Just a quick note about playing solo games, they are a really great way to familiarize yourself with the rules. Arkham Horror really benefits from solo play as it is a rather complex or "fiddly" game. When you introduce this game to new players it helps to have someone familiar with the rules to run the game. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I knew that about Arkham Horror which is why it's the first non gateway game I've bought. I intend to teach myself the rules playing solo and then try to get some other people involved. The theme is going to be a tough sell to my friends and family though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Staccat0 said:
I noticed my local game store is carrying fisherman of catan for like $6. Any fun?
Looks like a mini-expansion for Catan. Seems to go for just a couple bucks at least on the BGG marketplace. Rating is decent though.

Brashnir

Amazon is going to have a lightning deal on Smallworld in 5hours, 23 minutes (11am Eastern/ 8am Pacific) if anyone is interested.

Chorazin

My GF got me Tannhauser for my birthday! I can't wait to break this out at next week's game night, it looks like a blast. Love the theme, and the mechanics don't seem too fiddly. It was also kinda nice to get an FFG game that didn't come with a thousand cards and bits, only a ton of tokens and really nice minis.

Maybe I'll get lucky and get the boxed expansion for Xmas! :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Mashing said:
Hey now, with the right newbie-friendly wargames, you could be fine. ;)

Command & Colors: Ancients
Hold The Line
Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! Kursk 1943
Target Arnhem: Across 6 Bridges (scenario may be boring to some)
Freidrich
Combat Commander: Europe

If you can handle those, give this one a try: A Victory Lost

If you're still okay with wargaming after a couple AVL games, you're likely set to move on from the low complexity stuff.

Mashing

Brashnir said:
Amazon is going to have a lightning deal on Smallworld in 5hours, 23 minutes (11am Eastern/ 8am Pacific) if anyone is interested.

Thanks for this. I'm definitely going to pick it up. I love games with fantastic artwork and that game board is gorgeous.

Chorazin said:
My GF got me Tannhauser for my birthday! I can't wait to break this out at next week's game night, it looks like a blast. Love the theme, and the mechanics don't seem too fiddly. It was also kinda nice to get an FFG game that didn't come with a thousand cards and bits, only a ton of tokens and really nice minis.

Maybe I'll get lucky and get the boxed expansion for Xmas! :D

Make sure to get the updated new rulebook for it. Think you have to buy it separately, but it improved that game big time.

Chorazin

BattleMonkey said:
Make sure to get the updated new rulebook for it. Think you have to buy it separately, but it improved that game big time.

It's actually included in the new editions, there is a big red sticker on the box saying it's included, if anyone else is interested in it.

Of course, I didn't know that so she also got me a seperate copy of the Revised rules. it was only $10, and shipping it back to Amazon would deduct $4 from the product refund, so I just kept it so both players can consult the rules whenever they like. :D

Chorazin

BattleMonkey said:
Cool, I haven't seen any of those like that on shelves yet, most stores still seem to have old stock.

I think you're right, both my FLGS' have the versions without the sticker. I can't wait to play a combat game where there isn't any arguement about line of sight.

Not only is only of my players a huge sufferer of AP, he also likes to argue incessantly about LoS. Grrrr!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chorazin said:
I think you're right, both my FLGS' have the versions without the sticker. I can't wait to play a combat game where there isn't any arguement about line of sight.

Not only is only of my players a huge sufferer of AP, he also likes to argue incessantly about LoS. Grrrr!
Monsterpocalypse has no line of sight too! Yeah it may be unrealistic but it can be a nice break. Even in something as simple as M44 some of the LOS rules are totally unintuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom