• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chorazin

AstroLad said:
Monsterpocalypse has no line of sight too! Yeah it may be unrealistic but it can be a nice break. Even in something as simple as M44 some of the LOS rules are totally unintuitive.

Tannhauser has LoS, but it handles it pretty well. Basically, minis move on a track that has a specific color, and when it hits another color or colors the space shows all the different colors. If two minis are on spaces that share at least one color, they can attack each other (provided they are within range and such.)

Pretty elegant solution, I think! Even more elegant than Heroscape, because sometimes you gotta break out the laser pointer to prove that your mini can see a targetable point on another mini.

BattleMonkey said:
Want LOS nightmares, play Battletech

Oh god no.

Zalasta

Brashnir said:
Amazon is going to have a lightning deal on Smallworld in 5hours, 23 minutes (11am Eastern/ 8am Pacific) if anyone is interested.

LOL, the deal was over with in like 3 minutes. I thought about it but decided to pass on it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Technosteve said:
Any of you guys played Agricola?
Arguably the most popular game in this thread. Maybe tied with Dominion. It's #1 on my current list and also briefly discussed in the OP.

So to answer your question -- yes!

Zalasta

Technosteve said:
Any of you guys played Agricola?

Of course. I think it's still the best out of the three in the series, since Le Havre and Gates of Loyang can be viewed as derivatives of Agricola.

Mashing

Zalasta said:
LOL, the deal was over with in like 3 minutes. I thought about it but decided to pass on it.

I had the page open, but it was in the background (I was ordering a gift for someone else) and I missed it. 42 on the waitlist.

StoOgE said:
I thought we had decided on Warhammer 4K.

Too easy. Rules for LOS in 40k is basically go eye level with the model. If you can see ANY part of the opponents model, you have LOS. They really simplified LOS in that game. Even if you had a squad of 30 troopers behind a wall, if you can see part of one of them, you can shoot at all of them (they just get a cover bonus)

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So Thought Hammer finally got in their stock for 7 Wonders and Isla Dorada. Just waiting on Merchants & Marauders to come in and then they can finally ship my order, and supposedly M&M was shipped to retailers yesterday. Woo!

Can someone link me part of the thread you guys were discussing it? I just bought the game at the local shop today for a wedding gift tomorrow =D. I'm going to have to put a little note with it to force them to invite me when they play it! They had the game on their wedding register which was the only thing that wasn't kitchen stuff so i got it retail =(. Retail prices stinks!

But so yeah, i need details on how to play and strategy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Technosteve said:
Can someone link me part of the thread you guys were discussing it? I just bought the game at the local shop today for a wedding gift tomorrow =D. I'm going to have to put a little note with it to force them to invite me when they play it! They had the game on their wedding register which was the only thing that wasn't kitchen stuff so i got it retail =(. Retail prices stinks!

The OP is the one major source. I don't think we've ever really discussed strategy before other than in passing. Thing is there are a lot of different ways to play the game (different decks in each game, Family Game vs. Normal, # of players changes everything) so there is no single strategy that will just dominate afaik. I'd be happy to discuss anything about it really. I guess if you are looking for hardcore My Life Depends on Winning This Game strategy advice you could hit up the BGG strategy forum though.

Very basic strategy is to grow your family quickly, never starve (there is a huge penalty for not having enough food), and diversify your farm b/c of the scoring system that penalizes narrow specialization.

Also read this to make sure you're playing right: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/586630

Technosteve said:

Check out the strategy threads for the game on BGG. They will go into more depth than any discussion we had here. As for videos, check out Scott Nicholson's video on YouTube. The show is Board Games with Scott and it does a great job of going through the basics of the game. It's a great supplement to the rulebook.

BGG Strategy Forums
http://geekdo.com/forum/941/agricola/strategy

Board Games with Scott Agricola Episode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwPgWjzx-Cc

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fwiw I do make it a point to never visit BGG strategy forums. I much prefer to just learn the strategy by myself even if it takes a dozen plays. imo going into a game against newbs having read that would be pretty unfair and IMO it's not particularly fun to just go out and implement someone else's strategy like an automaton, especially in a game like gric where it's SO fun to explore your many different options and frankly a lot of the time winning is barely the focus (though it provides focus to your decisions) -- making a cool farm is

/total digression

ianp622

XiaNaphryz said:
Want LOS nightmares, play ASL w/ someone who insists on checking LOS for everyone of his units during his turn.
Fixed.

But that's against the rules. If you want to check line of sight, then you have to fire with that unit at that hex, even if the LOS is blocked. The only exception is checking for OBA to see if a unit is visible to the leader I think.

Staccat0 said:
I noticed my local game store is carrying fisherman of catan for like $6. Any fun?

It's included in the one expansion bundle for Catan (forget what it's called), and I've played it. It does a good job of making coastal spaces less shitty, and adds a couple neat mechanics. If Catan is actually something your group plays a bunch, it's definitely worth the six bucks.

AstroLad said:
fwiw I do make it a point to never visit BGG strategy forums. I much prefer to just learn the strategy by myself even if it takes a dozen plays. imo going into a game against newbs having read that would be pretty unfair and IMO it's not particularly fun to just go out and implement someone else's strategy like an automaton, especially in a game like gric where it's SO fun to explore your many different options and frankly a lot of the time winning is barely the focus (though it provides focus to your decisions) -- making a cool farm is

/total digression

Same. Rules forums are my friends, and general forums for things like shipping dates and such, but after one small venture into the strategy section, I swore off them forever.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ianp622 said:
But that's against the rules. If you want to check line of sight, then you have to fire with that unit at that hex, even if the LOS is blocked. The only exception is checking for OBA to see if a unit is visible to the leader I think.
Have you every played with a crazy person who likes cover fire whenever possible? :/

Flynn

Played Domaine (very underrated), Galaxy Trucker, and Revolution (of the better Steve Jackson games which isn't saying much).

My friend sent me the Farmers of the Moor expansion for my birthday, so I'll probably get in a Agricola solo game over the weekend to learn the rules.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
It looks like Fury of Dracula is finally back in print. I ordered a copy off of CSI earlier today. I have been wanting to play it for over a year now, so I am really looking forward to getting my copy. As an excuse to get free shipping, I also ordered a few other games. I got the Traders and Builders expansion for Carcassonne for my friend. And because I am insane, I also decided to get Runewars. Between Twilight Imperium, A&A, Starcraft, and a lesser extent Imperial 2030, I am not sure when I will actually have time to play the games, but I am a sucker for Ameritrash.

My group also played Agricola for the first time Wednesday. I think I am going to have to play the game a few more times to really get down a strategy. I was pretty much stumbling around the first game. The good thing was so was everyone else in my group. I really enjoyed the mechanics although and look forward to playing it again.

choodi

Banned
Going to play Alhambra tonight with the usual catan group...looking forward to the change of pace and less combatative style.

I have played once before and none of the other guys have played at all.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
speaking of, I finally saw Alhambra and Carcassonne Big Boxes..

HOLY FUCK. Where do you store that shit? It is huge.

Also, I really need to play Alhambra. It is one of my favorite places in the world.. I should play the game themed around it.

choodi

Banned
Played three players in Alhambra and really enjoyed the change of pace. A lot more of a thinking game and almost like putting a puzzle together.

I really want to play with a larger group 5-6 as I think that would spread the scoring around a little more, but BGG seems to suggest 3 is the optimal number of players.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how many players is better?

choodi said:
Played three players in Alhambra and really enjoyed the change of pace. A lot more of a thinking game and almost like putting a puzzle together.

I really want to play with a larger group 5-6 as I think that would spread the scoring around a little more, but BGG seems to suggest 3 is the optimal number of players.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how many players is better?

I've only played with 4 but the thing is, with more players you have way less probabilities to get that tile you NEED. Most people recommend that if you are playing with 4 or more, include the Vizier's Favour module which allows you to take your turn out of order.

I've both big boxes and yes they are huge, but for alhambra it's necessary and very well done, it has tons of different pieces. The carcassonne BB is a huge waste of space with an awful insert.

Alhambra BB
pic517269_md.jpg

Carcassonne BB, tons of vertical space wasted
515MiLJLWWL._SL500_.jpg

Qaz Kwaz

Banned
We tried out Invasion from Outer Space last night. If you like Last Night on Earth and want something extremely similar, but subtly different, then check it out. It did seem a little plain after LNOE, but that is only because we have EVERY LNOE expansion. The base game is really solid, and the scenarios we played were very fun. While LNOE's zombies' strategy is based a lot around chugging through cards, we found that martians had a lot more depth. I do prefer the zombie theme, but IFOS's 50's carnival theme worked really well. One of the reasons I bought it is that you can bring the martians into LNOE, or even do a massive "heroes vs zombies vs martians" game. It's not exact, but the rules in the book do a great job of bringing everything together.

All in all, it's a fun, welcome addition to the line-up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Played a few games of Small World the other night. I enjoyed it, but I don't really get it. I thought my declines in each game were pretty well timed, I had wide swaths of territory, I got good race draws, I had decent luck with combat where needed, and I felt like I got more points per turn than the others players... but I didn't win in the end. The players who did win, I can't point to anything strategic they did to do better than the players who got last. Anyone who's played a few dozen games want to give some input here?

Merino

Just got back from a dutch boardgame convention where I was hoping to pickup some nice Essen games since I missed out on Spiel!

It was actually much smaller there than I expected and since about half of the space went to miniature wargaming tables. The rest where mostly demo tables from dutch game companies. We took a look around but unfortunately there's not many games from dutch companies that I was interested in at all.

So in the end we mostly looked around a bit and bought a shit ton of games. It was good that we took a limited amount of money with us as all would have end up being spent.

By far the most interesting store there was Fantasy Encounter from Germany that had a truckload of GMT wargames for sale amongst which the new Dominant Species. It was going for 70 euro's though and after making our round past all the other sellers we only had 40 left to spend. Will just have to wait for the next print and possibly order them straight from the states.

Anyway our collection is the following games richer;
- Troyes
- London (actually our first Martin Wallace game)
- 7 Wonders (+ Essen promo)
- Civilization
- Battlestar Gallactica (our first co-op purchase, looked around for Pandemic aswell but didn't see it for a soft enough price)
- Puerto Rico
- The Princes of Florence (RGG/Alea version for only 25 euro's)
- Funkenslag + Neue Kraftwerkskarten
- Jaipur

oh and I heavily overpaid for the last leaders of the small world copy available at any shop here in Holland but at least this fully completes my Small World set O+

StoOgE

Stumpokapow said:
Played a few games of Small World the other night. I enjoyed it, but I don't really get it. I thought my declines in each game were pretty well timed, I had wide swaths of territory, I got good race draws, I had decent luck with combat where needed, and I felt like I got more points per turn than the others players... but I didn't win in the end. The players who did win, I can't point to anything strategic they did to do better than the players who got last. Anyone who's played a few dozen games want to give some input here?

The real trick to small world is to figure out who the leader is and attack them. Of course, you never really *know* who the leader is at any given point so there is some guesswork involved.

But attacking the leader (and winning) is a 2 point swing on their in decline race. They lose a territory, you gain one.

The more "advanced" advice I can give you.

1) Don't go in decline based on what your active race is doing. Make the decision based on what your current in decline race looks like. If they are still holding strong then don't go into decline again since they go off the board completely. I've seen a lot of people whose active race might only have 1-2 regions go into decline, but then they give up an in decline race that was holding 6-7 areas.

2) Protect your in decline race. Create walls between your in decline race and your opponents. Stack your active races chits 2-3 high to create walls between them and your in decline race. If you make it very expensive to burst through you can keep a race in decline for most of the game.

3) A common mistake is to go into decline too early. Once you find your current race is getting feeble a lot of players go into decline right away. But that throws away a turn.. and with only a few turns in the game it is a big risk.

4) Make deals. It's the best part of the game. Gang up on the perceived leader. Keep your head down if you are doing well. etc.

Merino

bonus of living in holland:
- early access to new Eurogames

bonus of living in the States:
- ridiculously cheap prices on all games
- bgg-con
- access to gmt-games without paying outrageous prices

believe me I get jealous too :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah that's an awesome thread. pretty rare to see a geeklist with only four entries get 1000 thumbs

And yeah Merino that is an awesome set of games, should keep you busy til forever

Merino said:
Anyway our collection is the following games richer;
- Troyes
- London (actually our first Martin Wallace game)
- 7 Wonders (+ Essen promo)
- Civilization
- Battlestar Gallactica (our first co-op purchase, looked around for Pandemic aswell but didn't see it for a soft enough price)
- Puerto Rico
- The Princes of Florence (RGG/Alea version for only 25 euro's)
- Funkenslag + Neue Kraftwerkskarten
- Jaipur

Crikey that's a solid list of pick ups. I don't know much about Troyes, and never heard of Funkenslag, but the rest of them I either already own, or I'm keeping me eyes on.

XiaNaphryz said:

Holy hell those are the best things I've ever seen.

Suairyu

Banned
Pandemic arrived today. Just finished a solo (well, simulating two players by myself) game. Almost lost on the easiest setting - awesome. Cannot wait to have a proper game sometime soon.

StoOgE

platypotamus said:
I don't know much about Troyes, and never heard of Funkenslag,

Funkenschlag = Power Grid auf Deutsch
Troyes is getting a ton of buzz, it's the new game from Carson City dude.

Suairyu said:
Pandemic arrived today. Just finished a solo (well, simulating two players by myself) game. Almost lost on the easiest setting - awesome. Cannot wait to have a proper game sometime soon.

I've played... 3 times? And never won. :(

StoOgE said:
Funkenschlag = Power Grid auf Deutsch
Troyes is getting a ton of buzz, it's the new game from Carson City dude.

Oh damn, all really solid pick ups then.

Flynn said:
I need six of you to fly to California so we can play my copy of 7 Wonders.

Where in CA? I'll be in LA just before new years...

Suairyu

Banned
platypotamus said:
I've played... 3 times? And never won. :(
So long as they were close-calls, I'd be 100% fine with that outcome. I love games that force you right to the edge, whichever way you fall it's always fun.

Flynn said:
I'm about an hour from LA. If the timing is right we should get together.

Nice. I will stay in touch with you as it gets closer. I'm only there for a couple of days and will be visiting family a bunch, but can probably figure out something. Which direction are you in? The OC direction? I'll probably be in Tustin/Irvine at some point, if it helps.

Suairyu said:
So long as they were close-calls, I'd be 100% fine with that outcome. I love games that force you right to the edge, whichever way you fall it's always fun.

Two of them were. One of them we got so screwed by crappy card order that we got destroyed in about 10 minutes, but that was pretty enjoyable anyway.

StoOgE

so, played a game of Shadows over Camelot 8 player (!) last night. Took 2 hours which is pretty good given the number of players (and all but me were newbs).

Had a complete blast. 2 traitors, but the good guys won the day anyway. Though, much harrier than normal. The good guys were down to two players, but Merlin helped end the game for the good guys by giving the hero an extra grail draw while he was still on the quest.

The game is much better with the expansion. The number of players made it fun as well, but the new "travel deck" is very interesting. It punishes you for moving around the board too much, but gives you the ability to get Merlin on a quest with you (Merlin on a quest with you gets you +1 white card for free at the start of your turn).

There are some new black and white cards to add to the deck, but it's a pretty minimal change to the game. The new black cards are pretty brutal, but the existing ones were already pretty brutal.

The 7 new knights are largely 'meh'. I mean, they have different powers, but the special powers aren't nearly as critical as they are in say Pandemic. So it's nice you have an option of powers after you select your character and aren't stuck with a special power you don't want.

I see no reason to every play the "base" game of Shadows again. This is a complete improvement to the game, no downsides at all.

Overall, I think BSG is clearly the stronger of the two games, but I really do enjoy Shadows for it's simplicity compared to BSG.

Flynn

platypotamus said:
Nice. I will stay in touch with you as it gets closer. I'm only there for a couple of days and will be visiting family a bunch, but can probably figure out something. Which direction are you in? The OC direction? I'll probably be in Tustin/Irvine at some point, if it helps.

I'm towards Vegas. I can get to Irvine fairly easily.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Suairyu said:
You should check out Ghost Stories, even more intense than Pandemic which itself is pretty tough.

MichaelBD

Played game two of Civ the other night with 4. Three of us played once before and the fourth was new. With setup and breakdown we were a little over 4 1/2 hours. Hope increases that players who know the game can finish in under 4 hours. Great game. Exhausting but great.

And my CSI shipment came in. This morning I set up Power Struggle to learn the rules. The rule book is pretty confusing but with some help from the Geek (and some slow rereads) I was able to piece it together. On the Geek I had heard the game compared to Tribune and now I can see why. Instead of vying for factions you are competing for departments. I'm thinking it will go over well with the group as it is definitely euro fare.

Haven't goofed around much with Cyclades yet, but the rule book is small enough.

Mashing

StoOgE said:
so, played a game of Shadows over Camelot 8 player (!) last night. Took 2 hours which is pretty good given the number of players (and all but me were newbs).

Had a complete blast. 2 traitors, but the good guys won the day anyway. Though, much harrier than normal. The good guys were down to two players, but Merlin helped end the game for the good guys by giving the hero an extra grail draw while he was still on the quest.

The game is much better with the expansion. The number of players made it fun as well, but the new "travel deck" is very interesting. It punishes you for moving around the board too much, but gives you the ability to get Merlin on a quest with you (Merlin on a quest with you gets you +1 white card for free at the start of your turn).

There are some new black and white cards to add to the deck, but it's a pretty minimal change to the game. The new black cards are pretty brutal, but the existing ones were already pretty brutal.

The 7 new knights are largely 'meh'. I mean, they have different powers, but the special powers aren't nearly as critical as they are in say Pandemic. So it's nice you have an option of powers after you select your character and aren't stuck with a special power you don't want.

I see no reason to every play the "base" game of Shadows again. This is a complete improvement to the game, no downsides at all.

Overall, I think BSG is clearly the stronger of the two games, but I really do enjoy Shadows for it's simplicity compared to BSG.

I played a base game of Shadows over Camelot, but I didn't quite like it. I like the art and the theme, but, I don't know i can't put my finger on it. I didn't like it much. Maybe it was because we only had 4 players (or because it was the first time I've played it), but it didn't click with me. The simplicity actually turned me off I think and I didn't see much strategy being employed. We had 1 traitor, who was discovered. I'll probably give it another shot though.

Edit: I also played:
Brass (great game)
Some old Rio Grande railroad game (I can't remember the name of it, it has a lot to do with stocks)--another fun game
Thebes (German Queen version)--my favorite game of the night actually
The Bottle Imp (boring)
And one LCG that I can't remember the name of either
and the aforementioned SoC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom