• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinci

Danish
Once I have a gaming group with spines, I'm so going to buy Carson City and Citadels. I'm really getting tired of playing the nice guy.

It's unnatural.

Neverfade

StoOgE said:
But from my readings the Pegasus is too overpowered for the humans, the new characters are over powered for the humans and you basically throw certain characters out the airlock no matter what just in case they are cylon.

Seems like a better rule would be a character out the airlock doesn't return if human. Makes it harder for the humans to win, though I know there is a hesitation to eliminate players from the game.
I don't think Pegasus is overpowered. Two of it's locations are die rolls which will balance out over the long run. One of those shoots at basestars which you will see more of with Pegasus due to treachery cards that put them on the board.

As for the executions, as I mentioned before exodus will fix the willy-nilly airlocking.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
platy,

you would be proud.

I've decided to go with Through the Ages instead of Civlization on a whim for my post Xmas self-present order.

Civ is starting to get some backlash (i.e. seems military will win 90% of the time) and I've decided to let the smoke clear a bit since I've had problems with my last "hot item" game not being what I thought it was (Endeavor).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just found out there's a simple Dominion app for Android phones called Androminion. 3p w/ 2 CPUs and a mix of base, intrigue, seaside. AI seems pretty decent.

Neverfade

StoOgE said:
platy,

you would be proud.

I've decided to go with Through the Ages instead of Civlization on a whim for my post Xmas self-present order.

Civ is starting to get some backlash (i.e. seems military will win 90% of the time) and I've decided to let the smoke clear a bit since I've had problems with my last "hot item" game not being what I thought it was (Endeavor).
Son, I'm disappoint.

StoOgE

Neverfade said:
Son, I'm disappoint.

well, that and 3 people in my gaming group bought Civilization.

Who knows, the order isn't set. I may go a completely different direction with the buy.

Suairyu said:
Arkham Horror received.
"Happy Birthday!"
"Aw, thank you!"
"Hope you enjoy it. Given it takes 4 hours, you'll be enjoying it without me."
" : ( "

I've been told, and maybe someone ITT can confirm, that the length of the game depends dramatically on which Elder God you're up against, and some can be in the 60-90 minute range.

Vinci said:
Once I have a gaming group with spines, I'm so going to buy Carson City and Citadels. I'm really getting tired of playing the nice guy.

It's unnatural.

I don't think you have to wait. Citadels will turn your nice friendly group into a group of backstabbers faster than you'd guess.
StoOgE said:
platy,

you would be proud.

I've decided to go with Through the Ages instead of Civlization on a whim for my post Xmas self-present order

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

===================

Did you guys see that Twilight Struggle has taken the #1 spot on BGG? Pretty shocking. I may have to cruise over to the thread about it and check for meltdowns.

StoOgE

platypotamus said:
Did you guys see that Twilight Struggle has taken the #1 spot on BGG? Pretty shocking. I may have to cruise over to the thread about it and check for meltdowns.

It took the top spot briefly the other day as well. There have been a *ton* of 1 scores come out for TS to knock it down. I wonder if the admins removed them?

Yay fanboy in me is happy to hear, but apparently someone has been finalized as the new owner of the Star Wars gaming license. They have not announced it yet, but apparently a bunch of companies were bidding on it. Lot of people think that theres a good chance that FFG might be the one who could be getting it, few gaming companies are big enough to take the risk on such an expensive property.

fenners

StoOgE said:
It took the top spot briefly the other day as well. There have been a *ton* of 1 scores come out for TS to knock it down. I wonder if the admins removed them?

The algorithm does all sorts of stuff to try & weigh out "angry" scores like that. People really do surprise me with their pettiness; TS is a fantastic game.

Neverfade said:
Queens Gambit reprint! Brace for impact!

Reprinted by FFG with even bigger production values! You will need a bigger table.

I do hope FFG gets it, as it hopefully means some real gamer games for the franchise instead of so many "family" friendly casual games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BattleMonkey said:
Reprinted by FFG with even bigger production values! You will need a bigger table.
I don't think the game needs to be any bigger in terms of surface space used, but making the palace taller so there's more vertical room in-between floors will make it easier to move figures on the first and second floors.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Really couldn't think of a better company for the franchise; almost makes too much sense so I'm surprised it happened.

FFG: Ameritrash Done Right.

BattleMonkey said:
Yay fanboy in me is happy to hear, but apparently someone has been finalized as the new owner of the Star Wars gaming license. They have not announced it yet, but apparently a bunch of companies were bidding on it. Lot of people think that theres a good chance that FFG might be the one who could be getting it, few gaming companies are big enough to take the risk on such an expensive property.
It's about damn time. The franchise is too big to be left unattended. FFG is probablly who I would want to see produce Star Wars games.
Neverfade said:
Queens Gambit reprint! Brace for impact!
Oh God, please let this happen.

For the Euro crowd, Uwe Rosenberg could do a moisture farming worker placement game. They could name it Blue Harvest. Eh?...eh?...I got nothing.

StoOgE

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
It's about damn time. The franchise is too big to be left unattended. FFG is probablly who I would want to see produce Star Wars games.
Oh God, please let this happen.

For the Euro crowd, Uwe Rosenberg could do a moisture farming worker placement game. They could name it Blue Harvest. Eh?...eh?...I got nothing.

Knizia could make a Jawa market based bidding game where you bid for different kind of droids.. and then at the end of the game whoever has the most droids for the 4th least available kind on the 2nd tuesday of the month wins!

AstroLad said:
Really couldn't think of a better company for the franchise; almost makes too much sense so I'm surprised it happened.

FFG: Ameritrash Done Right.

Well it's just the hopeful destination at this point, it's hard to tell who it could be but I just don't see many other candidates who could potentially afford to pay for the license. The company that let the news out was one of the bidders for the license who lost and they are not really big time at all. I do hope it ends up being FFG

StoOgE

BattleMonkey said:
Well it's just the hopeful destination at this point, it's hard to tell who it could be but I just don't see many other candidates who could potentially afford to pay for the license. The company that let the news out was one of the bidders for the license who lost and they are not really big time at all. I do hope it ends up being FFG

MB or Parker Could buy it and put out star wars risk and starwars life games.

StoOgE said:
MB or Parker Could buy it and put out star wars risk and starwars life games.

Well I don't think (and hope) that it would be. Supposedly the license is for Card games, RPG books, and miniature games as well. So it sounds like a more gamer centric company would have picked it up...

fenners

BattleMonkey said:
Well I don't think (and hope) that it would be. Supposedly the license is for Card games, RPG books, and miniature games as well. So it sounds like a more gamer centric company would have picked it up...

I don't think that's necessarily the case - the company may have bought the licences for each format to ensure they had the "exclusive" rights & didn't see their game licence diluted by miniatures etc on the market from someone else.

I'd love for it to be FFG too, mind you.

Suairyu

Banned
AstroLad said:
If you learn it well by playing a solo game (and thus not having to reference the rules), you can knock out a 2p game in 2.5, even with inexperienced players. It's one of those games people usually play with 5+ and that's where it's starts to take 4+ hours. When you play 2-3 it's really not generally that long.
Ooooh okay that might be workable. Was planning to do a solo run as per normal this weekend anyway. First game that actually supports it, too. Checked out the contents... that game board is huge. Luckily I have a massive table, but still!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Steve Youngblood said:
What do people have against Twilight Struggle?
People on the Internet are weird. Think the same thing happened when Gric took the top spot, now it's the other way around apparently. But as fenners said it really doesn't have much of a net impact at all due to BGG's system. More just bitchiness.

ps Dominion on the Droid is addictive as hell, even though it's ugly, only has two expansions, and no multiplayer. Pray to God they don't release a proper full portable OS version.

AstroLad said:
People on the Internet are weird. Think the same thing happened when Gric took the top spot, now it's the other way around apparently. But as fenners said it really doesn't have much of a net impact at all due to BGG's system. More just bitchiness.
So it's just the other contenders' (Puerto Rico, Agricola) fanboys trying to get their game back on top, or is there just a small but vocal contingency of people who hate Twilight Struggle for whatever reason?

Evlar

Banned
Steve Youngblood said:
So it's just the other contenders' (Puerto Rico, Agricola) fanboys trying to get their game back on top, or is there just a small but vocal contingency of people who hate Twilight Struggle for whatever reason?
Considering the pattern of votes, almost certainly it's the first. As AstroLad said the same sort of thing happened to Agricola as it approached Puerto Rico's ranking. That's my view, anway.

Steve Youngblood said:
It's more or less that. TS is not seen as a Euro game so it drives the Euro game fanboys up a wall when something that has a modicum of luck gets the top spot. It's a lot like console fanboys raging over NPD sales. What's funny is the ratings for the top three games are only separated by a tiny tiny margin. Really nothing to get upset over yet some people do.

fenners

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
It's more or less that. TS is not seen as a Euro game so it drives the Euro game fanboys up a wall when something that has a modicum of luck gets the top spot. It's a lot like console fanboys raging over NPD sales. What's funny is the ratings for the top three games are only separated by a tiny tiny margin. Really nothing to get upset over yet some people do.

It's funny - I've seen hardcore wargamers dismiss it as a euro & vice versa. Such a fantastic game that utterly deserves its place up there.

XiaNaphryz

Someone should really try and get an online GAF league setup for TS or something. Someone with more spare time than I, naturally.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's both on Vassal and Gametableonline. GTO is a rules implementation that I'm pretty sure costs a couple bucks though (not that I would mind). Vassal is Vassal.

Actually looks like GTO only has 1960. I think wargameroom has it but I hate that place even more than BSW.

StoOgE

wee Perikles tonight!

When I get home, I get to see my math trade results!

Double win!

The math trade is always disappointing

MichaelBD

StoOgE said:
Civ is starting to get some backlash (i.e. seems military will win 90% of the time).
What backlash?

I've played twice and each time the outcome has been pretty close. Military won both times but one win was contested (and as it turns out should have been reversed) because of a rules debate on the Russian special ability (I should have been able to double-tech to the win).

I think military is a straightforward and easy path to try and win but if each of the other players (especially going non-military) protect themselves than they should be able to hold off most attacks. Build walls, make sure you tech up at least some of your units, and don't let military minded players build up too much plastic in a single space and you can go about your business. In both games one player was always caught sleeping as far as keeping up with military and it was taken advantage of (and yes one of those times it was me).

StoOgE

Yeah, I don't know. Part of me prefers Civilization simply because it has a map.

I really really like the mechanics.. but I like the population/resource management of TTA.

I wish Civ would have gone more that route instead of just the "count hammers" method.

I don't know what I'll do.. but I think it's "safer" to get TTA and wait and see what happens with Civilization over the next few months.

The Board Game Geek drama surrounding Twilight Struggle is interesting to me simply because I had no idea that such a thing existed. I've never even played Twilight Struggle, despite owning it. For that matter, I still need to play Through the Ages, which I've owned for about a year and a half now. Despite being interested in the hobby, I'm really terrible at getting on the ball on this stuff.

StoOgE said:
Yeah, I don't know. Part of me prefers Civilization simply because it has a map.

I really really like the mechanics.. but I like the population/resource management of TTA.

I wish Civ would have gone more that route instead of just the "count hammers" method.

I don't know what I'll do.. but I think it's "safer" to get TTA and wait and see what happens with Civilization over the next few months.
Civ might be an easier sell; TTA looks like Spreadsheets:The Board Game.
Platy trolling!

Chorazin

XiaNaphryz said:
If you think that's bad, you clearly haven't dived into the hardcore wargame scene yet. ;P
Those games are so scary. They make me want to run and hide from all their weird chits and giant crazy-ass maps! ::shudder::

XiaNaphryz

Chorazin said:
Those games are so scary. They make me want to run and hide from all their weird chits and giant crazy-ass maps! ::shudder::
It's not so bad. Of course, having an active interest in the military and strategy/tactics relating to it helps greatly.

fenners said:
I don't think that's necessarily the case - the company may have bought the licences for each format to ensure they had the "exclusive" rights & didn't see their game licence diluted by miniatures etc on the market from someone else.

I'd love for it to be FFG too, mind you.

Thing is the license is supposed to be expensive, a company is likely not going to pick it up if they have no intention of exploiting the license to the fullest. Same has happened with popular franchises and other game companies before, where the cost of the license was not worth it because it was being sold in package deals, and they only had intentions of producing a single product, such as RPG books. For something like the SW license covering all those game types, it would likely have to be a company that was planning on doing as many games as possible to recoup their investment and turn a profit.

And I doubt anyone sees much competition between different game types, like CCG sales cutting into RPG, or miniatures hurting board game sales, etc, etc.

MichaelBD

StoOgE said:

I haven't had the chance to play TtA. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I snag it myself someday, because I love long, epic games like Civ and Twilight Imperium.

XiaNaphryz

StoOgE said:

Thinking about it more, I'm sure some mad genius over at BGG will find a way to merge the two games together in some awesomely epic manner.

StoOgE said:
The math trade is always disappointing

Hopefully less for you than for me, none of my trades happened :(

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Civ might be an easier sell; TTA looks like Spreadsheets:The Board Game.
Platy trolling!

Ineffective Platy trolling, considering I've actually made spreadsheets from board games. I actually want to build a full DB, but I just don't have the time...

StoOgE

Yeah,

Platy sounds like you were a bit too conservative on your want list. You have to put a lot of stuff down. A lot of the games will submit blank want lists. People will throw crazy shit on there hoping that something awesome will show up.. when it doesn't, it gets yanked from the list.

Mine went.. okish.

I got Masons and Puerto Rico expansion for Terra Prime and some Blue Moon decks I can't use.

None of my 20 dollar gift cards traded. shame :( A lot of shit no one would want put them on their want list.

Hera and Zeus was wanted by 2 people.. Monopoly: Star Wars Ep 1 edition and Golfmania :lol

I like Masons ok as a somewhat abstract placement game. I guess the Puerto Rico expansion is for a game actually own, which is better than the Blue Moon decks :lol

StoOgE

So, Perikles tonight. AMAZING game. Not perfect, certainly fiddly (fucking Martin Wallace) but amazing all the same.

There are two very distinct phases of the game. A very Euro area control/influence mechanic to determine who leads the various cities. Then those city leaders get armies and it turns into a Ameritrash dice roll-athon. The die rolls are balanced based on a blind bidding mechanic of sorts for the armies.

It all works really well together. I came in second by 12 points.. lost on a 14 point swing at the start of the last turn. I nearly pulled it off but the die failed me :(

jason10mm

Gold Member
Played a couple of games of Metropolys last night. Really fun lighter board game, yet has surprising depth of strategy. Essentially it is a numbers trump game. Everyone has a series of buildings from 1 to 13. First person places a building with a number on a territory and subsequent players can player a higher numbered building in adjacent territories to "steal" the right to claim a space. Eventually there could be a long snake of increasingly higher numbers until someone either places the 13 (which can't be trumped), claims a territory in a corner with no adjacent unoccupied spaces, or no one chooses to keep bidding. Game has replay because scoring is randomly assigned color spaces and build strategies like 3 in a row, across bridges, around fountains, etc, as well as randomly assigned positive and negative chits on territories.

Anyway, very easy to teach, visually appealing, but the strategy trying to secure territories you want while outwitting the other players is immense. our color and build goals are secret, so trying to figure out other players goals to thwart them is also a huge part. I'd put it in the same category as Carcassonne, Taluva, infinite city, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom