• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Artadius said:
Yeah, forget that notion now. We've had Munchkin as a lead in for our group on about four different occasions. Each time it took twice as long as we were anticipating... even when we knew it would be long and we purposely shortened the winning level. Always ended up making our featured game for the night run too late which is not fun.

Munchkin is just OK, its not great. The length is my biggest gripe though. I honestly start holding back towards the end and actually do my best to help the clear leader make to the end to win the game ASAP just because I'd rather get to something more rewarding for the time invested.

Well that sucks to hear. Do you have any recommendations on what would be a good lead in?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Played Tammany Hall last night and I wasn't disappointed. The game takes place in late 1800s New York during the reign of the Tammany party; think Gangs of New York and you pretty much have the theme for the game in mind.

Glad you liked it.

I should be getting my copy to the table tommorow night and am looking forward to it.

I like that it is a deep game with very simple rules and a quick playtime. Sort of fills a Carson City type niche of "deep but plays in an hour"

Artadius

Gryphter said:
Well that sucks to hear. Do you have any recommendations on what would be a good lead in?

We don't have access to a large variety right now... but Pandemic and Forbidden Island typically are very popular as quick lead ins.

Mashing

Merino said:
- two 3-player games of 7 Wonders which is hands down my favorite card game right now. It seems best with 3 and 4 players aswell since the draft will come back to you so there's even more need to hide cards from fellow players.

7 Wonders is also my favorite card game. It scales incredibly well and the full 7 player game is fantastic.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gryphter said:
Good quick filler games?

Just from my own collection:
-Forbidden Island
-Carcassonne
-Dominion
-For Sale

All can be played in under 30 sans expansions and play very well 3-4. I'll probably add Puzzle Strike to that list once I get some more playtime with it.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Good quick filler games?

Just from my own collection:
-Forbidden Island
-Carcassonne
-Dominion
-For Sale

All can be played in under 30 sans expansions and play very well 3-4. I'll probably add Puzzle Strike to that list once I get some more playtime with it.

Perudo/Liar's Dice.

Plays in about 20 minutes with 10 people.. down to 10 minutes with 5 or less.

Gryphter said:
Here are a couple of my favorites:

Forbidden Island is a good filler. Easy to setup, quick to play, and cheap as sin; you can pick up a copy for about $10-15. It's basically Pandemic light. You are going around a sinking island collecting cards in order to turn them in for the four treasures you need before you can leave the island. The rub is that the island is sinking an will continue to sink faster and faster as the game goes on.

I also am a fan of Guillotine (even though I haven't played it in forever). It is a super light card game where you are manipulating a line of nobles waiting to get their heads chopped off. Each noble is worth a number of points and their are cards that can be played that give bonuses for sets of the same type of noble. Even though the theme is grim it actually has a dark sense of humor about it.

Totally Renamed Spy Game (formally Before I kill You Mr. Bond) is a card game we like to take with us on trips. It's a small box roughly the size of a pack of playing cards. In this game you play as an evil genius building up a lair to attract high value spies. Once captured (played) you can taunt the spy effectively doubling the spy's point value. However if you become too greedy other players can kill your combo and you don't get any points. There is a mechanic where you can play spies from your hand to destroy your opponents lair as well. Spy Game is a goofy push your luck game that doesn't last more than 10 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Out of the lot, I think I might buy Forbidden Island. I own Pandemic but it's still in the wrapper; worried it'll turn out to be a redundant purchase but if FI can be done in 30 min, that is exactly what I am looking for.

edit: aaaaand Forbidden Island is bought. :)

Unison

StoOgE said:
Perudo/Liar's Dice.

Plays in about 20 minutes with 10 people.. down to 10 minutes with 5 or less.

I love that you are pimping Liar's Dice now. It's one of my family's absolute favorite games... We rarely will play games without playing it.

StoOgE

Unison said:
I love that you are pimping Liar's Dice now. It's one of my family's absolute favorite games... We rarely will play games without playing it.

It's such a good game. It fits into an "ultralight" category for sure, but it's just a great game for almost any situation. Gaming nights or just at the bar with buddies who would never ever play even something like TTR.

Agyar

Zalasta said:
Anyway, you could probably check out Cutthroat Cavern or Shadow Hunters. They aren't really straight-forward coop like BSG or Pandemic, but players do have to work together towards their individual goal, allowing for some backstabbing fun. Plays pretty fast as well, usually under an hour.

Cutthroat Caverns looks interesting, will weigh it up against other potential purchases. Can't see Shadow Hunters stocked anywhere locally and it doesn't look as interesting as CC.

The only issue I can see with Cutthroat Caverns is the it appears as though the expansions add some necessary features to the base game. Any suggestions in this area, particular ones that I should grab if I were to get it? The base game itself isn't expensive and the Deeper and Darker expansion is really cheap, so I would probably lean towards that pair to begin with unless someone says otherwise.

Any other suggestions in this vein would be appreciated as well (that is, cooperative games with a competitive/traitorous mechanic that can be played in a reasonable amount of time).

Gryphter said:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Out of the lot, I think I might buy Forbidden Island. I own Pandemic but it's still in the wrapper; worried it'll turn out to be a redundant purchase but if FI can be done in 30 min, that is exactly what I am looking for.

edit: aaaaand Forbidden Island is bought. :)
Excellent. Be sure to check out the boards for the game. Some people were putting together a print and play expansion of sorts. Basically it is just a bunch of different board layouts.

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Excellent. Be sure to check out the boards for the game. Some people were putting together a print and play expansion of sorts. Basically it is just a bunch of different board layouts.

aye, I saw them when I looked the game up before buying, it says translated from German rules so I take it this is included for German copies but not US? Whatever, I'll just print it

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/569926/official-variant-tile-layouts/page/1

kiryogi

Banned
So it's a bit late now, but I've really joined the eurogamer craze. Graduating from the overrated classics like Monopoly or Life. Since post xmas... I've picked up:

TtR + TtR 1910
Pandemic + On the Brink
Battlestar Galactica
Civilization (FFG)
Carcassonne
Twilight Struggle (Comes in tomorrow...yay!)

Recently learned to play Dominion online thanks to a friend too...

And it's not stopping yet. Eying Labyrinth now... I sat down and read thru this entire thread the other day for ideas and suggestions.

My sisters BF also started following suit after enjoying TtR tremendously and picked up Small World and Last Night on Earth + Growing Hunger. It's madness!

Neverfade

Played Tammany Hall tonight. I'll add another positive experience with the game. Very brutal, very back and forth, and came down to the wire.

I won by a single point thanks to picking up mayor by a single ward (I had talked a guy into just giving it to me and he obliged :lol ). Great Success!

kiryogi said:
And it's not stopping yet. Eying Labyrinth now... I sat down and read thru this entire thread the other day for ideas and suggestions.

You need to go back and look for posts where I talk about how good Through the Ages is, and then you need to order it.

Actually, you can just skip ahead to the ordering part.

Agyar said:
Cutthroat Caverns looks interesting, will weigh it up against other potential purchases. Can't see Shadow Hunters stocked anywhere locally and it doesn't look as interesting as CC.

The only issue I can see with Cutthroat Caverns is the it appears as though the expansions add some necessary features to the base game. Any suggestions in this area, particular ones that I should grab if I were to get it? The base game itself isn't expensive and the Deeper and Darker expansion is really cheap, so I would probably lean towards that pair to begin with unless someone says otherwise.

Any other suggestions in this vein would be appreciated as well (that is, cooperative games with a competitive/traitorous mechanic that can be played in a reasonable amount of time).

Cutthroat Caverns is great if you have the right people. Just the base game is fine though the expansions add a lot more fun to the game. It's one of my group's favorites because it's so fun stabbing your teammates in the back. If you do opt for an expansion get Relics and Ruin. It adds relics and event cards into the game which make it 100% more fun and interesting.

mandiller

I'm a newbie to these sorts of board games but I got Carcassonne recently and have been having a great time playing it with friends. I'd like to know your personal opinions on the expansions though. Are there any that are really worthwhile? At the store there were tons of different expansions and I didn't really know where to start.

kiryogi

Banned
mandiller said:
I'm a newbie to these sorts of board games but I got Carcassonne recently and have been having a great time playing it with friends. I'd like to know your personal opinions on the expansions though. Are there any that are really worthwhile? At the store there were tons of different expansions and I didn't really know where to start.

Seems like the mass opinion here is to get traders/builders and inns/cathedrals, Which I plan to do myself when my local board game store gets the inns/cathedrals in stock.

Agyar

mandiller said:

Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders slip nicely in with the base set, most of the other expansions are a little more exotic. Also The River II is worth grabbing and I think it's sold as a mini-expansion so it should be pretty cheap too.

You're in Brisbane aren't you? There's a games night on in King George square this Thursday, might be going along if you want to play a few different things. I haven't been along to one of the KG nights before but a bunch of guys I play with have.

mandiller

Agyar said:
Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders slip nicely in with the base set, most of the other expansions are a little more exotic. Also The River II is worth grabbing and I think it's sold as a mini-expansion so it should be pretty cheap too.

You're in Brisbane aren't you? There's a games night on in King George square this Thursday, might be going along if you want to play a few different things. I haven't been along to one of the KG nights before but a bunch of guys I play with have.

Oh really? I didn't know about that. I'll be busy this week but count me down for another week. Is it weekly/monthly? What's the dealio?

Agyar

mandiller said:
Oh really? I didn't know about that. I'll be busy this week but count me down for another week. Is it weekly/monthly? What's the dealio?

Last Thursday each month I believe. If you're really keen though, I'm sure we could get a local event happening sometime soon.

So me and a buddy want to buy Arkham Horror because of this thread! Also because I'm a Lovecraft fan. We are no boardgame profis but I we never really had problems with new games/concepts and a game with story and atmosphere sounds like just the right thing! At least we have a little experience with PC strategy/RPG games so hopefully one or two of us will be able to learn the rules fast enough to teach our friends how to play it. :D

One simple game we enjoyed because of the atmosphere was The Name of The Rose!
What do you think of this one? :)
sgspl5.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DieNgamers said:
So me and a buddy want to buy Arkham Horror because of this thread! Also because I'm a Lovecraft fan. We are no boardgame profis but I we never really had problems with new games/concepts and a game with story and atmosphere sounds like just the right thing! At least we have a little experience with PC strategy/RPG games so hopefully one or two of us will be able to learn the rules fast enough to teach our friends how to play it. :D
Awesome -- yep like I've said here before, it's a game that's modestly tough to learn, but very easy to teach and get people into (especially if they are open to deeper boardgaming).

TwiztidElf

Agyar said:

Wait! What? King George Square? Brisbane? Every month? Is there a website about this?
Hmmmm. Sounds good.

DieNgamers said:

I have the game but haven't played it yet, waiting until I'm ready for it really. I've read that it's like diving into the deep end and games can easily take 3 hours. I've opened mine up just to look at it so know that you're going to want some type of organizer, there are a crazy amount of chits. I use one of these for every big game I want an organizer for:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PCVUAM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Chorazin

Gryphter said:
I have the game but haven't played it yet, waiting until I'm ready for it really. I've read that it's like diving into the deep end and games can easily take 3 hours. I've opened mine up just to look at it so know that you're going to want some type of organizer, there are a crazy amount of chits. I use one of these for every big game I want an organizer for:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PCVUAM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That is such a rip off! You could get two or three Plano boxes at Walmart that do the same job for the price of one of those you linked. Don't throw your money away!

Mashing

narcosis219 said:
Cutthroat Caverns is great if you have the right people. Just the base game is fine though the expansions add a lot more fun to the game. It's one of my group's favorites because it's so fun stabbing your teammates in the back. If you do opt for an expansion get Relics and Ruin. It adds relics and event cards into the game which make it 100% more fun and interesting.

I'll second this. CC is great (I also like SH, but it's more a party game). It's got a ton of variety depending on which monster you're fighting and indeed, the backstabbing is the best part. Especially when yous tart laying down combo's of cards to screw the other person. They did a fantastic jobs designing the cards to interact with one another.

I don't mind the price of the Artbin, I looked at a few fishing tackle boxes but what I like about the Artbin is that the dividers are removable; you can customize how wide the compartments are

fenners

StoOgE said:
I get to play Tikal tonight, I'm really looking forward to it.

One of my favourites. Doesn't get to the table often enough, but I enjoy it when it does. It's another of those games that just looks beautiful once the game is finished, telling a story of sorts of the various expeditions.

Sucks with AP people.

StoOgE

fenners said:
One of my favourites. Doesn't get to the table often enough, but I enjoy it when it does. It's another of those games that just looks beautiful once the game is finished, telling a story of sorts of the various expeditions.

Sucks with AP people.

It's been on my list of games to get to the table for a while now. The nice thing about board game night is I can play these things before buying them.

Seth C

So I wanted to share the final hand of Dominion I just played online...

--- Your turn ---
You play a Mining Village.
... You draw a Copper and get +2 actions.
You play an Alchemist.
... You draw a Mining Village and an Envoy and get +1 action.
... You draw a Mining Village and get +2 actions.
... You draw a Copper and get +2 actions.
You play an Alchemist.
... You draw a Province and a Colony and get +1 action.
You play an Alchemist.
... You draw a Copper and a Mining Village and get +1 action.
... You draw a University and get +2 actions.
You play a University.
... You get +2 actions.
... You gain an Envoy.
You play an Alchemist.
... You draw a Copper and a Gold and get +1 action.
You play an Envoy.
... (You reshuffle.)
... You draw and reveal a Copper, 2 Mining Villages, a Gold, and a Vault.
... You discard a Mining Village and put the rest in your hand.
... You draw an Envoy and get +2 actions.
You play an Envoy.
... You draw and reveal a Mining Village, 3 Estates, and an Envoy.
You play an Envoy.
... You draw and reveal 2 Envoys, 2 Golds, and a Potion.
... You discard an Envoy and put the rest in your hand.
You play an Envoy.
... You draw and reveal an Envoy, a Smugglers, a Gold, a Colony, and a Trade Route.
... You discard a Smugglers and put the rest in your hand.
You play an Envoy.
... You draw and reveal 2 Mining Villages, 2 Colonies, and a Trade Route.
You play an Envoy.
... (You reshuffle.)
... You draw and reveal a Copper, a University, and 3 Mining Villages.
... You draw a Smugglers and get +2 actions.
You play a University.
... You get +2 actions.
... You gain an Envoy.
You play an Envoy.
... (You reshuffle.)
... You draw and reveal a Mining Village and an Envoy.
You play an Envoy.
... (You reshuffle.)
... You draw and reveal a Mining Village.
You play a Trade Route.
... You trash a Copper.
... You get +1 buy and +$2.
You play a Trade Route.
... You trash a Copper.
... You get +1 buy and +$2.
You play a Vault.
... (You reshuffle.)
... You draw a Mining Village.
... You discard a Province, a Mining Village, a Smugglers, 3 Estates, and 4 Colonies and get +$10.
... disko discards nothing.
You play 4 Coppers, 5 Golds, and a Potion.
You buy a Colony.
You buy a Colony.
You buy a Province.
You return an Alchemist to the top of your deck.
(You reshuffle.)

The game is over! (All Colonies are gone.)
Seth C has 75 points (6 Colonies, 2 Provinces, and 3 Estates) and took 21 turns.
disko has 23 points (2 Colonies and 3 Estates) and took 20 turns.

StoOgE

Played Tikal and Steel Driver tonight.

Really enjoyed my first game of Tikal and can see why it is so highly rated. It's pretty simple area control game with some really nice mechanics to keep it fresh. Played in 90 minutes with two new players.

I also won my first game, so pretty happy about that.

Steel Driver is another Wallace game. This copy was signed and numbered, which is pretty damn cool.

Liked it. It's a strange auction game with a stock mechanic that is really complicated despite having simple mechanics (Martin Wallace was involved after all).. you get money (VP) for completing various connections and stock in the company as well. Then the companies ship goods at the end and you value the stock and then sell it for cash.

I need to play this one again as I really really screwed up the last round and took myself completely out of contention/handed the easy win to another player.

Mashing

Played an epic 7 hour game (with all included expansions) of AH last night. First time I've played with all the expansions. 1st things first: gate bursts are incredibly frustrating and probably prolonged the game by 2+ hours. 2nd thing, I really liked the expansion boards. They throw some new interesting wrinkles into the game. 3rd, Cthugha is a bitch.

TwiztidElf

Agyar said:
http://www.facebook.com/games.at

I haven't been but planning to this Thursday. Not sure what to bring along though, depends which people I know are going. Maybe Citadels, it's tiny and I haven't played it yet.
Thanks for the link.

Only played Citadels three times so far, twice 3 player and once 6 player, and out of all of my new games, this is the most disappointing. It just seems too clunky, the roles don't have an obvious impact on proceedings, and the play itself is messy. Takes too long to play also.
Sorry to sound so down and negative about it. I do like it. The card stock and artwork is excellent, but the mechanics just don't seem to compare to other awesome games I have.
Maybe it'll get better?

My fave's right now are Puerto Rico and Pandemic. And Carcassone with non-gamers - a huge hit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
citadels is an awesome party game. not much more i can really say about it. it ain't no chit-munching snoozer like puerto rico

(just kidding guys!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom