• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Heh, yeah Space Hulk is full of chrome. The game is a lot of fun as well one of my favorites. I was one of the lucky ones who picked it up when it was released.
WORD!

(Still hasn't punched his figures.)

LProtag

Woah, new Twilight Imperium expansion announced. Going to have to get that.

Also my friend just got two CSI orders at once, because of a preorder coming out right when he placed a new order. Alas, he is at school in Illinois currently and I will have to wait until the summer to play of the games.

Cathcart

Flynn said:
Can't wait to see you paint it!
Man, you might have to wait a while. I haven't pained anything since I was a kid and did model airplanes with my dad and we didn't do very much detail work. When I was looking into Space Hulk I kept seeing all of these pictures of the painted minis and they looked so great that I started looking around for painting tutorials and what not. I figured I wouldn't paint them right away but maybe I could just try to do one at a time and see what happened.

Then I saw the actual minis yesterday. The detail on those guys is insane and even though they're a nice big size for board game pieces they are still pretty damn small to have all of that detail. It's pretty intimidating. I never played Warhammer but I've always thought the painted minis looked great and now I've got even more respect for the guys who do that stuff well.

Cathcart said:
Man, you might have to wait a while. I haven't pained anything since I was a kid and did model airplanes with my dad and we didn't do very much detail work. When I was looking into Space Hulk I kept seeing all of these pictures of the painted minis and they looked so great that I started looking around for painting tutorials and what not. I figured I wouldn't paint them right away but maybe I could just try to do one at a time and see what happened.

Then I saw the actual minis yesterday. The detail on those guys is insane and even though they're a nice big size for board game pieces they are still pretty damn small to have all of that detail. It's pretty intimidating. I never played Warhammer but I've always thought the painted minis looked great and now I've got even more respect for the guys who do that stuff well.

Yeah, the minis look awesome, IMHO a plain color looks better than a bad paint job so I'd leve them unpainted. Since it's next to impossible to find the game for me, I just bought some GW space marines to satisfy my plastic-minis needs.

What's good about Claustrophobia? I've seen it mentioned a few times over the past few pages... 2 players is appealing for weeknights with my fiance. Watched a video review and it looks like a big appeal is the 45-60 min playtime, anything else?

fenners

Gryphter said:
What's good about Claustrophobia? I've seen it mentioned a few times over the past few pages... 2 players is appealing for weeknights with my fiance. Watched a video review and it looks like a big appeal is the 45-60 min playtime, anything else?

It's just been me raving about it, I suspect. I've played it once, loved it enough to order it the next day, and here's why:

- Dungeon crawler crammed into 45-60 minutes game time.
- Asymmetrical sides.
- Well made prepainted minatures & generally high quality of production.
- Nice dice-based combat mechanic that's really easy to grasp.
- Really simple movement rules
- Love the damage system for the 'heroes' where each character can take 6 hits, but each hit effectively 'blocks' that row from future selection, limiting options for that character.
- Nice variety of scenarios in the gamebook & official ones available on the web.

Now, the plot line is /not/ going to be everyone's cup of tea - 1600s alternative timeline England with the 'heroes' being a bunch of convicted criminals going up against Demons from Hell.

Claustrophobia is the Hell Dorado universe. It's pretty unique setting for a universe and nice change of pace from traditional fantasy settings.

fenners

BattleMonkey said:
Claustrophobia is the Hell Dorado universe. It's pretty unique setting for a universe and nice change of pace from traditional fantasy settings.

Yeah, the lack of dorky orcs was appealing :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah that setting sounds awesome. too bad i already have more dungeon crawls than people to play them with though

Ri'Orius

sneaky77

AstroLad said:
yeah that setting sounds awesome. too bad i already have more dungeon crawls than people to play them with though

You know if you convince your firm to hire me as a paralegal you can add a clause to my contract to play them with you lol

LProtag

I just realized that I won't be in school next year and thus I have free time for BGG con. I just don't have anyone to go with.

Edit: Also I have a lack of funds.

fenners

StoOgE said:
Time to butter up the girlfriend.. her brother will be living in Dallas by then.. so cheap times could be had at BGG Con.

I guess they didn't change hotels?

Same place, yep. Next year is the venue change I believe. Apparently they've sold 10% of the tickets already, which isn't a shock; regulars getting their tickets nice & early. I've got mine ;)

Mashing

AstroLad said:

God I love dungeon crawls. I played WHQ a few weeks ago and it just scratches that itch perfectly. Now it's got me back into RPGing.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's no excuse platy! I've now met almost all of the long-time BGG GAFFERS and they were delightful! /andybernard.

I might get tix and room anyway just in case I can make it.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
platypotamus said:
I asked the wife and she said no. Considering all the other travel this year and whatnot, I can't really argue with her.

Kill her. Use insurance money for epic CSI order and BGG tickets.

Artadius

Woot, totally hoping to go to BGG Con this year. Hopefully a couple of my local game group with me as well.

I haven't posted in here in a while...but since I last did, I've played a ton of new games thanks to one of our group's friends bringing his massive collection down recently. Stuff I've played this month:

Labyrinth: War on Terror
Twilight Struggle
Lost Cities: The Board Game
Magical Athlete
Middle-Earth Quest
Puerto Rico
Ra
Survive!
To Court the King
Winner's Circle
Vegas Showdown
Nuns on the Run

Phew. All were good in their own way... but especially liked Ra, Middle Earth Quest, and Lost Cities: The Board Game.

I just got in Fury of Dracula today and hope to at least introduce it this weekend to the group...though we'll have too many players in attendance to actually play it. Some other time I'm sure. I hope the wife will give it a try since it looks to play just fine with 2.

Oh, and make sure you go to http://boardgamegeek.com ... they've redesigned their homepage ;) Make sure you do a search for your favorite game there.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Added you nf and I'll add you tonight choodi.

Just picked up two tickets for bgg.con. I shall will this trip into existence.

fenners

AstroLad said:
Added you nf and I'll add you tonight choodi.

Just picked up two tickets for bgg.con. I shall will this trip into existence.

They've sold 400 out 1000 tickets so far in one day.

BattleMonkey said:
So anyone in the Seattle area or know of good gaming events in the area. I might be moving there later in the year or sometime next.

I hear PAX Prime is in Seattle...

<-------- Jealous

BattleMonkey said:
So anyone in the Seattle area or know of good gaming events in the area. I might be moving there later in the year or sometime next.

Pax Prime, and I hear there's some gaming at Emerald City Comicon, but I've never been. Apparently there's also something down in Portland, which is a very manageable drive.

We have tons of FLGSs too.

fenners

Neverfade said:
There's only 1000 tickets?! Wow...

Yep. Space is limited by the current hotel - there's literally no more conference space they could take over, so it's reached its size limit, though it's really only Friday night/Saturday that it's /bulging/ to capacity as the locals arrive.

Next year, they move to a far bigger venue with far more space and I expect it to change feel slightly as it grows. Get in while it's still small, guys! ;)

After losing (but thoroughly enjoying!) a Vikings game with MrMan, I've sent out some invites on yucata for it.

Anyone missing Stone Age/Arkadia/CampaignManager/Finca? I don't have any games of them going at the moment haha

platypotamus said:
After losing (but thoroughly enjoying!) a Vikings game with MrMan, I've sent out some invites on yucata for it.

Anyone missing Stone Age/Arkadia/CampaignManager/Finca? I don't have any games of them going at the moment haha

I'm up for any of those.

Last night I played Egizia and Small World. Egizia is a pretty neat worker placement game set in ancient Egypt. The "twist" to the game is you can only place a work down river from your previous worker. It caused some interesting descisions that needed to be made. Overall I liked the game but it doesn't do anything too different from your typical Worker Placement game.

Small World was Small World. I still enjoy it and I'm thankful my game group likes the game because everybody else in my house doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom