• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Anyone know how to make it so when I get a new app on my iPad it doesnt automatically put it on my iPhone also?

Also wondering why iMessages only seem to be going to my iPad even though I have the same email entered on both devices, a friend of mine said he gets them on both of his devices

Anyone know how to make it so when I get a new app on my iPad it doesnt automatically put it on my iPhone also?

Also wondering why iMessages only seem to be going to my iPad even though I have the same email entered on both devices, a friend of mine said he gets them on both of his devices

Just turn off automatic download on your phone from the store settings.

Heel

If I buy the new iPad online from someone other than Apple, can I still purchase AppleCare and exchange it in-store if I have any problems with it (dead pixels, yellow screen, etc.)?

Wanted to take advantage of no sales tax from an online store, but don't want to be stuck with a dud iPad and have to pay a restocking fee.

Heel

This doesn't count as one of my questions, my helpful friend dream.

Do the AppleCare+ plans on eBay work with the new iPad? If so, you can basically get the new iPad covered under AppleCare+ for the same price as one without if you play your cards right.

I assume your other device is an iPhone? If it is go to settings>messages>receive at>caller id and make sure you select the same email address you have setup on your ipad to receive them instead of your phone number.

Toki767

I hate that there aren't any cases yet that are 100% guaranteed to have auto lock/unlock except for the smart cover. I wonder why Apple changed how the magnets worked. I also wonder why they didn't tell anyone.

dream

This doesn't count as one of my questions, my helpful friend dream.

Do the AppleCare+ plans on eBay work with the new iPad? If so, you can basically get the new iPad covered under AppleCare+ for the same price as one without if you play your cards right.

I don't think so. You'd have to bring your iPad in to an Apple Store for a genius to look at before buying AppleCare+.

X-Frame

I assume your other device is an iPhone? If it is go to settings>messages>receive at>caller id and make sure you select the same email address you have setup on your ipad to receive them instead of your phone number.

I made sure to change this but for me, I am only getting messages on my iPhone -- not my iPad.

vaelic

Banned
hey all, could someone recommend a dock charger for the iPad 3? Something decent but not over priced.

this is my first iPad. thanks!

X-Frame

You are using the same Apple ID on both?

Yup. Same e-mail address. I'm stumped. I can send out messages via the iPad but when I am having a conversation on my iPhone, shouldn't that conversation also be pushed to the iPad? Or is that not how it works?

After changing your caller ID, create a new conversation thread. If you had originally sent the message with your phone number as the caller ID, then it will only ever send the message to that ID. That should solve the problem.

Ohhh, good idea. I will try that.

KtSlime

I made sure to change this but for me, I am only getting messages on my iPhone -- not my iPad.

After changing your caller ID, create a new conversation thread. If you had originally sent the message with your phone number as the caller ID, then it will only ever send the message to that ID. That should solve the problem.

Vyer

I think that's happening because people are still sending messages to his phone number, right? Once he starts sending as his email and people respond to that they will show up?

Heel

Just talked to Apple. You can purchase a new iPad from outside of Apple and still go to an Apple retail store to exchange for a new unit if you have any defects (dead pixels, yellowing, etc.) under their one year hardware warranty.

The 14 day refund and color/storage exchange policy is only for purchases directly from Apple. That would have to be done through who your purchased it from and be subject to their restocking fees.

So, online tax free iPad purchase and no worries about being stuck with a dud unit. iPad here I come!

pulga

Banned
iPads are sold completely unlocked. He should be able to stick in a sim and just have it work.

Thanks man, got it to work. Sold!

Hey guys, what's this I've been hearing about the new iPads generating too much heat and losing its WiFi connection? Any truth to it?

MercuryLS

Banned
Thanks man, got it to work. Sold!

Hey guys, what's this I've been hearing about the new iPads generating too much heat and losing its WiFi connection? Any truth to it?

It can get a bit warm depending on what you're doing with it. Playing games seems to get it going in particular. The wifi thing is a non-issue, I have had nothing but rock solid wifi regardless of how the iPad is held/oriented.

moowear

General question about charging the ipad in a different country;

Will I need a converter or can I just get away with the adapter plugs using the original usb charger? I'm in the US and going to South America.

sfedai0

Banned
Ok, I have to login with my email and password for Netflix after I stop using it for an extend period of time. What is up with that??

sfedai0

Banned
Ok, thank god Im not alone on this. They better fix this issue and add the HD candy asap. The video quality looks like SD and it makes me ill.

JDeluis

Sketchbook Pro for IPad is on sale for $1.99 (Regular $4.99)

Is it worth picking it up over the free version Sketchbook Express if I only plan on using it for casual use?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Do they re-stock every night or something?

The 16GB and 32GB Wifi models were all sold out this afternoon (according to Apple store pick-up option). I just checked again and it looks like all of the stores around me in West LA show in stock now.

japtor

Sketchbook Pro for IPad is on sale for $1.99 (Regular $4.99)

Is it worth picking it up over the free version Sketchbook Express if I only plan on using it for casual use?
Looks pretty nicely featured, although it looks like it has the same limitation of the free iPhone one if I'm reading this right:
✓Gallery:
• Store and view work in progress
• Export to Photo Library
• Browse images in full-screen mode

✓ iCloud Support
∙ Option to set iCloud as default location to save canvases
∙ Controls in Gallery to upload or download from iCloud
As in you can only work on one thing at a time (other than just saving to the camera roll and flattening images). If you plan on drawing different things with it progressively like sketching ideas out for different stuff and finishing each up later it's worth it, cause that's kind of hard to do with the free one if you're using layers at all.

The 16GB and 32GB Wifi models were all sold out this afternoon (according to Apple store pick-up option). I just checked again and it looks like all of the stores around me in West LA show in stock now.
I don't know if it's every night but I remember last year they got shipments pretty regularly following the launch.

Toki767

Reading the Apple Store site, I think you can only schedule an in-store pick up online between 10PM and 4AM or something like that.

Kevin

So what are some of the better non-hard cases for the ipad 3's? What does GAF recommend? Currently considering the CaseCrown Bold Standby unless somebody here has a better recommendation.

Toki767

So what are some of the better non-hard cases for the ipad 3's? What does GAF recommend? Currently considering the CaseCrown Bold Standby unless somebody here has a better recommendation.

If the smart cover unlocking is important to you I'd wait a bit on the CaseCrown one since people are getting mixed results. I did buy that case for my brother's iPad 2 though and it was really solid.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Reading the Apple Store site, I think you can only schedule an in-store pick up online between 10PM and 4AM or something like that.

Placed my order around 8ish. But that would make sense that they wouldn't hold stock for pickups during the busiest hours of the day.

despire

Fuck yeah, got myself 32Gb wifi model which I wanted. It was just released this morning here in Finland.

Funny story though, when I went to pick it up from the store, there were bunch of old ladies waiting outside for the store to open. When the doors were opened, the elderly ladies ran inside and the first one to get to the iPad desk yelled victoriously how she was first :p

RedAssedApe

Banned
Funny story though, when I went to pick it up from the store, there were bunch of old ladies waiting outside for the store to open. When the doors were opened, the elderly ladies ran inside and the first one to get to the iPad desk yelled victoriously how she was first :p

LOL just like when people are the FIRST to comment in a thread.

Ambitious

So I went to the most popular Apple reseller here quite early in the morning. 1.5hr before the store opened. About 50 persons waiting in line, not that much. Especially compared to the about 200 who were waiting when I got out.

And of course the model I wanted (32GB black Wifi) was the only one that has already been sold out.

Next store, only 4G models.
Next store, Wifi models but not the 32GB one.

Will take weeks for the next delivery at all three of them.

I am pissed. :mad:

jts

...hate me...
Launch day today and I gots mine!!!!!!1 Black 64GB wifi just like I wanted :D

Restoring from iCloud backup.

oh happy daaaay

amrihua

Oh Apple how I love you. It went from 4/4 to 3/27 to 3/24 which is tomorrow! I'm so happy. I already played with one and was delighted to know that whatever weight and thickness gains there are I couldn't notice them.

despire

gonna talk with my wife tonight to see if she'll let me buy one this weekend lol

My friend once said to me that it's much easier to be forgiven than it is to get a permission.

In other words it easier if you just buy it and apologize later than try to get her permission to buy one :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Woot, iPad get! Got one as they released in Ireland today, no light leakage nor issues with color on the display. /phew!

kagete

Whew i'm definitely regretting my smart cover purchases. I share with my gf the $70 red one and the $40 dark gray one and while both look great and are nice and minimalist they really aren't worth the money. After just 3 days the red leather one is showing visible signs of wear. I also think that I have too high expectations of these smart covers because I've dropped or had my ipad slip off my desk more than 10 times because of the magnetic attachment failing whenever I accidentally hold the cover and pad in an awkward way. I'm ordering 2 monoprice cases now just to try something else at low risk.

Are there any good alternatives to the smart cover? I want one, but.... 40 bucks seems like a rip.
I've seen some knock-off ones on eBay for much less, no idea what kind of quality they are though.

Going by the TPU rear case I just got the post, I wouldn't bother. Avoid shit like this everyone. The mould is sooo poor, really uneven, really inaccurate fit.

I just tried my AV Adapter I bought for the iPad 2, and it says 'this accessory is not supported' when I plug it into the new one. But it still works, it just doesn't go completely fullscreen.... apart from the YouTube app. Which is weird. I was still able to use the AVPlayerHD app to watch a film in fullscreen, after I'd played around with the settings - set the tv to 'zoom', and then use AVPlayerHD's zoom controls to manually adjust the screensize smaller... but it's not ideal.

icespide

Banned
Whew i'm definitely regretting my smart cover purchases. I share with my gf the $70 red one and the $40 dark gray one and while both look great and are nice and minimalist they really aren't worth the money. After just 3 days the red leather one is showing visible signs of wear. I also think that I have too high expectations of these smart covers because I've dropped or had my ipad slip off my desk more than 10 times because of the magnetic attachment failing whenever I accidentally hold the cover and pad in an awkward way. I'm ordering 2 monoprice cases now just to try something else at low risk.

I had the navy leather one on my iPad 2 for awhile and was really not impressed with it's durability. it really looked like crap after a few months. i switched the th dark gray polyurethane one and it holds up way better

Top Bottom