• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I just can't believe how fast it is. My only experience is with my friends ipad1. And while it's fine... this one is just so much more responsive. Even more than the screen that's what impresses me the most. I'm sorta dreading iOS6 and the inevitable slowdown that it will bring.

The OS upgrades for my iPad 2 have never slowed it down. I think at this point we've crossed the power threshold where they could really make these things chug. They'd have to do something stupid for that to happen.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well. Hopefully. idk. I mean all hardware gets dated it's not really an iOS specific problem. I'm just enjoying the speed of this thing. It adds so much to the experience.

Sorta want to play a game but there are none that look interesting. Considering replaying sworcery. Since I only played that on the phone.

The OS upgrades for my iPad 2 have never slowed it down. I think at this point we've crossed the power threshold where they could really make these things chug. They'd have to do something stupid for that to happen.

It wouldn't surprise me if the iPad 2 would start to get laggy with iOS 6. Never updated my OG iPad to iOS 5, because it's already terrible enough.

Yeah I am liking it... I think I might go with the saddleback though as it seems a bit more 'rugged' style that fits me better.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Satchel.html?sc=8&category=1288

mighty fine as well. what color are you looking at.

oh, and I'm probably going to jump on the other one. I was a the paypal screen and decided to cool my jets for a few minutes. I'll probably look at the pictures again in a couple of hours. If I get "that feeling" again, I'll jump and i'll just have to make a decision on the brown Muzetto bag I ordered from Waterfield.

All very nice bags.

Well. Hopefully. idk. I mean all hardware gets dated it's not really an iOS specific problem. I'm just enjoying the speed of this thing. It adds so much to the experience.

Sorta want to play a game but there are none that look interesting. Considering replaying sworcery. Since I only played that on the phone.
Try out Angry Birds: Space.

I know what you're thinking, but this one is actually good.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Not that I really have a problem paying 3bucks but is there a free version I'm just not seeing to try it out first.
Also, using the mobile app now. lol. I still prefer the full site but that autozoom thing was bugging me so much.

Oh what the hell. Hey it's only 20megs what happened to all this hubbub of apps being TOOOOOOOO big now?

tmdorsey

Not that I really have a problem paying 3bucks but is there a free version I'm just not seeing to try it out first.
Also, using the mobile app now. lol. I still prefer the full site but that autozoom thing was bugging me so much.

I don't see how you can't prefer the mobile app to the full site for portrait viewing on the iPad. The full site requires too much zooming and panning around for me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well. Personally I think that the full site looks best zoomed all the way out. It's beautiful. And no panning or zooming would be required. It's just that for some reason the site defaults to zoomed halfway in. Everytime you refresh the page. It's infuriating.

Lol angry birds is so funny. I can see why this game is such a phenom.

Flo_Evans

Oh what the hell. Hey it's only 20megs what happened to all this hubbub of apps being TOOOOOOOO big now?

Pretty sure angry birds uses vector art so it will not be that big.

Lately I've been addicted to Bike Baron.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Birds space is really fun oh wow. This is great.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
this is what i roll with for my ipad bag.

David-King-North-South-Laptop-Messenger-in-Distressed-Leather.jpg

Whew i'm definitely regretting my smart cover purchases. I share with my gf the $70 red one and the $40 dark gray one and while both look great and are nice and minimalist they really aren't worth the money. After just 3 days the red leather one is showing visible signs of wear. I also think that I have too high expectations of these smart covers because I've dropped or had my ipad slip off my desk more than 10 times because of the magnetic attachment failing whenever I accidentally hold the cover and pad in an awkward way. I'm ordering 2 monoprice cases now just to try something else at low risk.

i said way back when that our realtor had a red one and it was nassssttyyy.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Broke down and bought a black wifi 16gb one with the navy blue smart cover. It's so great, haven't used an iPad since the 1st one

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well I've never played angry birds before. It's really fun! What's so bad about it?

japtor

Thanks for the tip, but the interface looks terrible. It's really just a blown up iPhone app. I wish there was something better out there.
I use StreamToMe for audio streaming, but there's a bunch out there including some free ones I think.
Incipio Smart Feather

Does exactly what you want. It secures the magnet mechanism to the case itself.
If you don't mind a thicker shell you can get a ~$5 TPU one and cut it to work similarly...albeit not as smoothly (the thickness makes it so you have to push the cover over the edge when flipping around). I have the Monoprice one on my iPad 2, but no clue how it fits on the new iPad.
am I crazy, or is this case:

http://www.hardgraft.com/pages/2pointturn-ipadcase

rather fucking brilliant?
Charging 69 euro for a few cents worth of material costs? Yes that is brilliant.

Charging 69 euro for a few cents worth of material costs? Yes that is brilliant.

so you don't think it looks good? or are you just generally against spending a little more for higher grade material that will last longer and was made and assembled with a bit more care?

After all, half the thread just dropped $30-$70 for a polyurethane/cheap leather smart cover. How much do you think those were, going purely by materials used?

After paying $400-$850 for an iPad with a bill of goods around $250?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Quality wool felt is usually pricey, actually. That case is adorable. And nearly the same price as a smart cover. Good tip.

Blackhead

Redarse
I have a wallet from hard graft and it's pretty nice. I can't speak to spending hundreds for one of their dedicated ipad cases/bags though. If you're looking for leather in that price range I can recommend the padster.

The current state of styli and the iPad: does the stylus still blow it?
ArsTechnica said:
RAlci.jpg

Analog Bic, Studio Pen, Bamboo Stylus, Fisher Space Pen

CHn3E.jpg

Pixel density comparison of a finger, a capacitive stylus, and smartpen
5000 Years Later
Charles Jade said:
I wrote an article for Ars Technica on the stylus and the new iPad, whether there is hope for freeform note taking in the digital age. I was shocked by how much I enjoyed the experience of stream of consciousness by hand. My first effort was an impassioned plea to the editor for the article that was written in the excited script of a child or serial killer.

The second was this.

r2btY.jpg

My handwriting was so unprofessional that I couldn’t bear using it in the article, so I made a video demonstrating the tablet. However, I think it was, if not unprofessional, definitely more about me than is appropriate for an article not about me. It would be a shame to waste it though.

http://youtu.be/tg35ZB_5sHM

I have an iPen and it's very similar to the Studio Pen I except cheaper, better designed (for example, it has a cylindrical body and the cap fits on the end) and is currently supported by more apps including the surprisingly decent GoodNotes. It's well worth the $50 (+ $$ for apps) that I paid for it:

3GPaVl.jpg

HuVsr.png

I'm looking forward to the next generation of pen support in tablets.

.hacked

Bought a smart cover today. Have to admire how well designed it is. Way over priced but the iPad feels so sleek and sexy now.

Switcheasy has come through with my replacement case and sleep/wake now works. Again, awesome customer service.

52c43584.jpg

abe16b60.jpg

fbed1cac.jpg

I love the textured interior due to the fact that you can angle it much more than some other cases I've seen (usually three positions max).

Tilt case might be better:

aeq1ql.jpg

Hard Graft always has some of the best product shots.

I ruled this one out because (1) it doesn't fold back for reading and (2) you have to unhook it to use the pad for reading.

#1 isn't a problem (the other case doesn't fold back either), but the unhooking seems to be an unnecessary inconvenience for me. With the rolling case, it's pretty much just a naked iPad, so you just pick it up if you want to hold it, no problem. Makes more sense to me. BUT...the roll up case's obvious flaw is that it can slide off the quasi-stand and fall, where with the case you linked, it's secured to the case itself.

pros and cons, I suppose.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Man tweetbot for iPad takes forever to load up. What gives?

Chris R

Switcheasy has come through with my replacement case and sleep/wake now works. Again, awesome customer service.

52c43584.jpg

abe16b60.jpg

fbed1cac.jpg

I love the textured interior due to the fact that you can angle it much more than some other cases I've seen (usually three positions max).

Did you get a "Pure" screen protector from them as well? Or does anyone else have experience with the "Pure" screen protector? Thinking of picking one up along with that same canvas case.

Did you get a "Pure" screen protector from them as well? Or does anyone else have experience with the "Pure" screen protector? Thinking of picking one up along with that same canvas case.

It already comes with a screen protector, microfiber cloth and dust plugs for the headphone jack and 30-pin connector, but I only use the dust plugs and microfiber cloth. No reason to use the screen protector at all.

X-Frame

3rd times a charm. Grand Central apple store had a 64 gb Verizon.

I ended up going with the AppleCare+ because the shit is so expensive and I plan on actually taking it out of the house now so I figure it's worth it.

Now to scrutinize it and see the backlight bleeding, any dead pixels, etc before deciding to keep it ..

I have an iPen and it's very similar to the Studio Pen I except cheaper, better designed (for example, it has a cylindrical body and the cap fits on the end) and is currently supported by more apps including the surprisingly decent GoodNotes. It's well worth the $50 (+ $$ for apps) that I paid for it:

3GPaVl.jpg

HuVsr.png

I'm looking forward to the next generation of pen support in tablets.

Definitely worth $50.

But is it worth the $90 it retails for?

http://store.cregle.com/products/ipen

I was mildly excited until I saw that.

Chris R

for the love of god, don't put a screen protector on your iPad.

Used an iPad 2 yesterday with one and it was great. I have oily fingers or something because mine is smudged to hell, even after just a minute or two of use. When using this other person's iPad I COULDN'T smudge it. Didn't notice any difference in brightness or color or viewing angle.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Used an iPad 2 yesterday with one and it was great. I have oily fingers or something because mine is smudged to hell, even after just a minute or two of use. When using this other person's iPad I COULDN'T smudge it. Didn't notice any difference in brightness or color or viewing angle.

But you can surely feel it, can't you? I like the smooth feel of the glass, so I'll always iPad raw.

Top Bottom