• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Whew i'm definitely regretting my smart cover purchases. I share with my gf the $70 red one and the $40 dark gray one and while both look great and are nice and minimalist they really aren't worth the money. After just 3 days the red leather one is showing visible signs of wear. I also think that I have too high expectations of these smart covers because I've dropped or had my ipad slip off my desk more than 10 times because of the magnetic attachment failing whenever I accidentally hold the cover and pad in an awkward way. I'm ordering 2 monoprice cases now just to try something else at low risk.

I don't know what to say about the magnets not sticking. The smart cover I have feels like the magnets need to be pried off to remove it. It seems that the recent production of smart covers weren't QA tested properly though.

Yaska

/rant
Damned Apple decided to forget to bring any 32gb wifi's to my country and only couple of 64 wi-fis, mainly focusing on the 4g models, so no ipad for me /endrant

Guess I gotta wait and hope they can deliver one to me :/. Apple store's own estimates are 2-4 weeks >.<

As someone who typically buys every new console/handheld/new device on launch or shortly afterward, I’ve somehow waited out on an iPad for 2 years. Been waiting for a retina display upgrade, and I’m really glad I held out. I picked up a black 32GB WiFi model at Target last night and I’m in luv. Screen is gorgeous, my Draw Something drawings don’t look like complete dog shit (well, not as bad…), and I’m glued to the thing.

kagete

I think my smart cover's magnets are fine, it's just that I'm probably too carefree about picking my ipad up that is causing my problems. When I have it down with the cover folded in a prism and the device in landscape mode, I'd sometimes switch to a game like Tiny Tower that's in portrait which would make me grab the folded cover and hold it sideways. The magnets can hold up the ipad if you're just suspending it horizontally but if you hold just the smartcover upright the ipad just shears off. I wish there was a smart cover that clipped more permanently (magnets for on/off, slim cover only, latches on securely, but doesn't have a bulky rear).

TimeKillr

Reading the Apple Store site, I think you can only schedule an in-store pick up online between 10PM and 4AM or something like that.

Yeah that's the thing.

I kept looking this week and every day it said it was not available, until I noticed I had to get on the site between 9pm and 11:59pm. At 9 I got on the site, and I was able to reserve one.

No clue what's going on but hey.

Phreaker

Whew i'm definitely regretting my smart cover purchases. I share with my gf the $70 red one and the $40 dark gray one and while both look great and are nice and minimalist they really aren't worth the money. After just 3 days the red leather one is showing visible signs of wear. I also think that I have too high expectations of these smart covers because I've dropped or had my ipad slip off my desk more than 10 times because of the magnetic attachment failing whenever I accidentally hold the cover and pad in an awkward way.

I got the black leather one and I really like it. I also like to go bareback. Like you though, I've had to quickly learn that I to have a hold of the iPad no matter what when fiddling with the cover. I had it slip out out my hands, but luckily it was in my bedroom and only fell from my nightstand to the carpeted floor. It did hit my wood bed on the way down and made a few marks on the back, but they just rubbed right off. I read in previous posts that the red one really doesn't hold up well.

I think my smart cover's magnets are fine, it's just that I'm probably too carefree about picking my ipad up that is causing my problems. When I have it down with the cover folded in a prism and the device in landscape mode, I'd sometimes switch to a game like Tiny Tower that's in portrait which would make me grab the folded cover and hold it sideways. The magnets can hold up the ipad if you're just suspending it horizontally but if you hold just the smartcover upright the ipad just shears off. I wish there was a smart cover that clipped more permanently (magnets for on/off, slim cover only, latches on securely, but doesn't have a bulky rear).

For the price, they're a joke. They sell knockoffs on Amazon but apparently the quality of those are even worse.

kagete

The red leather one really is the best looking one and also feels the most premium. Too bad it's not going to last long with the amount of abuse it gets since I don't like babying my electronics. I wish they made red polyurethane smart cover that latched on, maybe something like how the kindle has built in latches for the amazon branded cover. I know they have this whole consistent industrial design with smooth edges but I honestly wouldn't mind an iphone4-ish flat edge with some small indents or latches carved in. These sharp edges already bite in after playing certain games for a bit but I don't want to add a protective case that will add anymore weight to this.

Emily Chu

Banned
Thanks man, got it to work. Sold!

Hey guys, what's this I've been hearing about the new iPads generating too much heat and losing its WiFi connection? Any truth to it?

wait a minute now are you telling me I can just use the same sim from my Galaxy Nexus 4G verizon put it in and just get 4G unlimited on this 4G iPad ?

cause if true... brb IPADS

I bought a generic leatherette case at Best Buy and it works perfectly. Sadly it lacks the magnet so I ordered one from Deal Extreme. Let's see if I can uglify my case with some sticky felt + a hidden magnet.

AndTAR

I wonder why Safari still tends to kill all tabs randomly. I have not yet seen System Status report less than 150MB free RAM. If the trigger is not a RAM bottleneck, what on earth could it then be?

Rengoku

Anything Slim that protect the front and back and has Smart cover features??? I wish they had the iPad 1 case with Smart Cover.

Something like this?

20123239423190864.jpg
2012323952631249.jpg

LCfiner

If I get an AppleTV, can I output video & audio being played via the withdrawn VLC app to my TV?

VLC might have been withdrawn before it could be updated to use Airplay. But if it is too old to work, you are not totally out of luck

you can stream video of any file type using AirVideo or Streamtome and having your PC on, serving the files and converting them in realtime.

they both work well but Air Video works a bit better for this particular case as you can get better IQ with higher bandwidth connections.

Reclaimer

If I get an AppleTV, can I output video & audio being played via the withdrawn VLC app to my TV?

My vlc app has AirPlay output, but as stated by others, AirVideo app works a bit better.

I usually just have Handbrake convert files for me, load me up on the iPad, then AirPlay from the native apple video app. Looks wonderful.

plc268

Incipio Smart Feather

Does exactly what you want. It secures the magnet mechanism to the case itself.

Hmm, quick doubt here, will any bluetooth keboard work with the pad or does it have to be apple's? I'd like to avoid apple's bluetooth keyboard, as it's expensive.

kagete

Incipio Smart Feather

Have you personally tried it? I hope it's good because I just ordered it :|

Hmm, quick doubt here, will any bluetooth keboard work with the pad or does it have to be apple's? I'd like to avoid apple's bluetooth keyboard, as it's expensive.

I'm at work and I'm currently using a 5 year old Dell bluetooth keyboard. There have been reported thefts at work, especially with apple accessories such as chargers and docks so this one fits in perfectly since it is the standard black with silver trim that's ubiquitous in all offices.

pic from google:
45577676_1.jpg

Any bluetooth keyboard should work.. I know Auron_Kale had a bluetooth keyboard from amazon earlier in this thread and posted that it works fine..

Flo_Evans

Well dammit. I used to always just leave my ipad at home but that screen calls out to me whenever I am away for too long.

I guess I need some sort of bag/purse for it.

wd_aberfeldie_brn_exp-01.jpg

flatpack-driftwood-feat_2.jpg

kagete

Well dammit. I used to always just leave my ipad at home but that screen calls out to me whenever I am away for too long.

I guess I need some sort of bag/purse for it.

If you're like me and prefer ballistic nylon to leather, grab a tumi t-tech! I use a leigh cross body that's PERFECT and looks great.

57434-gp.jpg

Good. Now for the painful task of actually looking for one... in the real world. Online is unfortunately not an option since my language constantly requires a few keys that are absent from english keyboards...

I hate that there aren't any cases yet that are 100% guaranteed to have auto lock/unlock except for the smart cover. I wonder why Apple changed how the magnets worked. I also wonder why they didn't tell anyone.

Ipad 2 doesn't look at what polar the magnets are so anything magnetic will work, but with the new ipad they changed it because sometimes wrapping a smart cover around the back of the ipad would make it think it's closed, and switch off.

It's a needed change and I guess they thought it wasn't something which should be talked about. Some 3rd party cases out there were using the wrong magnetic polar for the new models.

Some very early official smart covers are also wrong but apple will change it for you for free I believe.

Sketchbook Pro for IPad is on sale for $1.99 (Regular $4.99)

Is it worth picking it up over the free version Sketchbook Express if I only plan on using it for casual use?

I bought this last night and had no idea it was on sale, but from messing with it I love it, really good.

Just need to buy a good stylus so I can draw better then with my finger.

undecided

Regarding Smart Covers, I'm more concerned about the marks they make on my iPad screen than the magnets.

That was debunked long ago in the thread as the smart cover having a microfiber lining that cleans the screen but the raised gaps between the panels not cleaning it from just closing it. (you can do some fold and wipe method or use another microfiber cloth)

I noticed them on my mom's iPad 2 when visiting her, but have not seen it on my 3 yet.

How many of you went for AppleCare+? After looking at the replacement prices on iFixit I am considering going back and adding it.

JDeluis

Looks pretty nicely featured, although it looks like it has the same limitation of the free iPhone one if I'm reading this right:

As in you can only work on one thing at a time (other than just saving to the camera roll and flattening images). If you plan on drawing different things with it progressively like sketching ideas out for different stuff and finishing each up later it's worth it, cause that's kind of hard to do with the free one if you're using layers at all.

Thanks. I'll go ahead and pick it up now that it's on sale.

Incipio Smart Feather

I love how people shriek that the $45 smartcover is 'insanely overpriced' (precision built in magnets, foldable, high quality, multiple positions, etc), yet are completely cool with a $35 hard plastic back by some random company. I've seen this back lauded a bunch of times before, and can't seem to comprehend it.

dream

I love how people shriek that the $45 smartcover is 'insanely overpriced' (precision built in magnets, foldable, high quality, multiple positions, etc), yet are completely cool with a $35 hard plastic back by some random company. I've seen this back lauded a bunch of times before, and can't seem to comprehend it.

That Smart Feather thing covers the front and the back of the iPad, though.

edit: oh, no, it doesn't. I totally agree with you now.

Flo_Evans

If you're like me and prefer ballistic nylon to leather, grab a tumi t-tech! I use a leigh cross body that's PERFECT and looks great.

http://hi.atgimg.com/img/p400/7143/57434-gp.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I prefer leather :P

I like this one

[URL=http://imgur.com/vHmb8][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vHmb8l.jpg[/URL]

Coincidentally it is my 3rd anniversary coming up and the traditional gift is leather! Wife said she already got me something though. :(

ParityBit

Well....

I got the http://www.marware.com/c-e-o-hybrid-case-for-the-new-ipad

Now although I like it, it is really WAY too bulky for me. For my iPad 2 I had this.

http://www.marware.com/microshell-folio-case-for-the-new-ipad

I really liked this case and am considering it again. But my question is for those of you with the smart cover. How is it? Do you have leather or Poly? The review (such as the red leather) are not that good. I was debating getting one of those and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XIT4NO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks!

Tobor

Bag talk! Reposting from earlier:

Anyway, enough about cases. It's time to discuss bags, because you're going to want to carry your new iPad around with you.

Here's mine, it's the best iPad bag you can buy, IMO:

8b644b7b.jpg

The Cadet by Tom Bihn.

Why is it so awesome? It comes with an iPad sleeve attached via rails so it can slide in and out without ever being detached from the bag. Perfect for running your bag through the Airport scanners.

cadet27.jpg

The sleeve fits the iPad with smart cover, no problem, and is very well protected inside the bag. It's a super high quality man purse...I mean briefcase.

The Cadet receives our highest rating, 5 Tobors!

plc268

Have you personally tried it? I hope it's good because I just ordered it :|

I own it for the ipad 2, works as advertised. It's thin enough, that you barely notice it. I like it, but I'm still unsure if I'm going to get another smart cover for my new ipad.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
if u guys play Draw Something, add me on FB

facebook.com/dama1

best game ever lol

XenoId

I bought myself and the GF a Ipad each last night here in Sweden,
I got myself a black 32 GB Wifi and the white 16 GB for her.

First time tablet owners
Cant wait to get home to try it out

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think I really really like this thing. Fell asleep with it on my chest watching shin chan. lol.

Now just lounging in bed drinking some coffee.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I just can't believe how fast it is. My only experience is with my friends ipad1. And while it's fine... this one is just so much more responsive. Even more than the screen that's what impresses me the most. I'm sorta dreading iOS6 and the inevitable slowdown that it will bring.

Whew i'm definitely regretting my smart cover purchases. I share with my gf the $70 red one and the $40 dark gray one and while both look great and are nice and minimalist they really aren't worth the money. After just 3 days the red leather one is showing visible signs of wear. I also think that I have too high expectations of these smart covers because I've dropped or had my ipad slip off my desk more than 10 times because of the magnetic attachment failing whenever I accidentally hold the cover and pad in an awkward way. I'm ordering 2 monoprice cases now just to try something else at low risk.

We've made it to the point where you people are about to start talking about cases for your cases.

I just can't believe how fast it is. My only experience is with my friends ipad1. And while it's fine... this one is just so much more responsive. Even more than the screen that's what impresses me the most. I'm sorta dreading iOS6 and the inevitable slowdown that it will bring.
Nah, the slowdown won't be until iOS 7.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The iPad has had the curious side effect of making my iPhone feel super cramped. That feeling alone almost almost makes me believe those bigger screen rumors.

Nah, the slowdown won't be until iOS 7.
Ha! Well, the point remains.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I wish Safari on the iPad had a minimizing menu bar like on iPhone, at least down to the tabs, there's no reason not to.

Top Bottom