• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Chanser

I bought the new Ipad yesterday and i am amazed at the beautiful screen that this thing has.
I have a question though, i bought fruit ninja on my iphone, can i download it for free on my ipad or do i have to re-buy it off the Appstore?

You have to re-buy it if you want HD version, you can play the iPhone version on iPad if you want.

fse

Anybody have what looks like a grid on their iPads screen when off or low brightness? It's visible to me if I tilt my screen back, is it normal to see this?

pxleyes

Banned
Gave Paper a try last night. Since others are posting their sketches. I didn't bother with the artist packs, but I might if the add portrait mode and a couple other simple features.

rBi0U.jpg

dkeane

Gave Paper a try last night. Since others are posting their sketches. I didn't bother with the artist packs, but I might if the add portrait mode and a couple other simple features.

If you export your image and you made it in portrait mode there's no crease. App still needs some work though.

kr2t0s

The short answer is that wrist protection has nothing to do with the stylus and everything to do with the app. It seems like note taking apps have really pioneered wrist protection - to the 'invisble' attempt by stuff like penultimate or bamboo's paper app.

2nd generation wrist protection allowed for a visible layer on top that the end user could raise/lower to suit their needs. Upad uses this and I find I like it for the most part. I like being able to see where I can lay my wrist and where I can write/draw.

3rd generation - the only one I've seen using it is noteshelf is rather ingenious. You tell it where you want to start then every time you write a line, it automatically lowers by half an inch or so. So that way it gets out of the way without the end user needing to babysit it.

I honestly haven't seen a lot of wrist protection in drawing apps. There probably are but I'm guessing it falls under the penultimate style which I still find myself leaving stray marks.

Long answer - there are now some styli in development / recently released that either talk directly to a dongle or talk via blue tooth. The downfall is that all of these have an SDK that apps have to support. So they aren't universal to be used in any app like how a normal stylus is. Although the upside is that your wrist should not set off any stray lines.

Normal stylus: recommend jot/jot pro, bamboo and faraday.
Bluetooth stylus: waiting to see how jot touch is along with the pogo blue tiger

Ipen was recently released and I've heard nothing but mixed feelings depending on the app being used as to whether it's any good or not.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
iPad noob QQ -- I bought a bunch of apps for my Touch back in the day including universal ones. I don't need to like redownload them or do anything word to get them working properly on my iPad right? I ask only because Ascension looks a little fuzzier than I expected (though Carcassonne looks fantastic).

japtor

when you use a stylus on the ipad, can you rest your hand on the screen without it making marks too?
I've mentioned it a few times before: wear a glove, cut out some fingers as needed for convenience. Ghetto as hell but it works (as long as the glove blocks out the capacitance).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Awesome.

Really enjoying the device so far. I guess there's not really a guided tutorial or even quickstart guide really, just the user's manual? Noticed randomly that if you use four fingers and swipe you go to the next app. Would like to find out what else I'm missing but I suppose I can just plow through the manual if need be.

railGUN

Banned
Awesome.

Really enjoying the device so far. I guess there's not really a guided tutorial or even quickstart guide really, just the user's manual? Noticed randomly that if you use four fingers and swipe you go to the next app. Would like to find out what else I'm missing but I suppose I can just plow through the manual if need be.

4 finger swipe upwards will reveal the multitask bar (same as double tapping home button). 4 finger pinch will kick you to the home screen (same as pushing home button). Pull down from just below the camera (starting offscreen) with 1 finger to show the notification menu. Also, if you are on the home screen, and you reveal the multitasking bar, hold on an icon in the bar until it jiggles, then click the red minus button to basically "force quit" applications (they won't be accessible from the 4 finger swipe) but only if you jiggle close them from the home screen - doing that in an app won't have the same effect.

MasLegio

Banned
First time proper long use test without charging it at the same time. On a three hour train journey and a bit past halfway through. Using iPad for RSS-reading (feeddler pro) and have watched around 25 minutes of video as well. Began at 96% battery charge on both my iphone and ipad and i am connected through iphone wifi-sharing (3g). Brightness at around 30%.
Battterylevel on the ipad is now 85% and the ipad has stayed cool while my iphone 4S is warm and at 58%. iphone has been used for sharing 3g and listening to the latest Brodeo podcast.

I might be imagining things but sometimes it feels like the backlightis uneven. Doesnt really affect me and might just be the angle.

Also VLC has serious chopping on 720p titles, any better viewers?

Nearing two hours use now and have used around 12%. White gps-symbol has been on as well.

Edit: Apple really really need to add arrow text navigation to the keyboard. Trying to move the marker in a moving vehicle is not a pleasant experience.

E2:also, Apple really needs to reduce the weight of the iPad. Needs to be at least, if not less, half its current weight to be comfortable to use for a longer period if it is in hands.

Awesome.

You can download a user guide / manual through iBooks.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
4 finger swipe upwards will reveal the multitask bar (same as double tapping home button). 4 finger pinch will kick you to the home screen (same as pushing home button). Pull down from just below the camera (starting offscreen) with 1 finger to show the notification menu. Also, if you are on the home screen, and you reveal the multitasking bar, hold on an icon in the bar until it jiggles, then click the red minus button to basically "force quit" applications (they won't be accessible from the 4 finger swipe) but only if you jiggle close them from the home screen - doing that in an app won't have the same effect.

Nice, thanks. One thing I might be missing -- is there any way to see network connectivity without exiting back to the home screen? I was hoping the pull-down would do it but it seems to be just notifications.

Wish Newsstand had more magazines but I guess The Economist and NYT will do for now.

What are some good Comixology comics? I see they have a ton of DC stuff but a lot of the time it's not in collections. Really looking for either a quality classic I missed back in the day or something splashy to show off the display.

MasLegio

Banned
Awesome.

Nice, thanks. One thing I might be missing -- is there any way to see network connectivity without exiting back to the home screen? I was hoping the pull-down would do it but it seems to be just notifications.

Wish Newsstand had more magazines but I guess The Economist and NYT will do for now.

What are some good Comixology comics? I see they have a ton of DC stuff but a lot of the time it's not in collections. Really looking for either a quality classic I missed back in the day or something splashy to show off the display.
You shoul look at zinio and amazon kindle subscriptions for more magazines & newspapers

attractivetb

Neo Member
Awesome.

Well, this was a revelation. I have owned an iPad since launch and had no idea about the four finger swipe. Not sure I'll ever use this feature, but that was fun!

noah111

Still Alive
^Wow! I use it all the time now with my iPad 1. I rarely ever press the physical home button anymore, tbh. I just do the five finger pinch for the app to shrink in to nothingness.

japtor

Well, this was a revelation. I have owned an iPad since launch and had no idea about the four finger swipe. Not sure I'll ever use this feature, but that was fun!
Well they only added it relatively recently, I think iOS 5? (and the gestures were restricted to iPad 2 until a later point update).

Just wish apps were allowed to disable it, like you can accidentally trigger it while playing jubeat, or having your palm on screen in note apps.

Top Bottom