• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

zychi

Banned
Any light cases that have a smart cover included that is under $25 that you guys have bought? Got my ipad today instead of tomorrow, and am looking to do it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone else really into emoji? Its really really fun.
JLXjt.jpg

SmokyDave

Good afternoon chaps!

Is there a definitive app for showing off an iPad 3 display? I'm getting mine tomorrow and I want some hot shit ready to go. I have games well covered as it is but I was wondering if there was any non-game software that stands out.

Blackhead

Redarse

Blackhead

Redarse
Just listened to it via Twitter. He's taking the high road, for sure. We still don't know any details, but whatevs.

The Gruber backlash on Twitter is certainly entertaining.
The right road. It's one thing to keep mum about the details but Gruber's snide allusions have been embarrassing and hypocritical. Frankly if we were to take his link regarding 'why wasn't I consulted' seriously then he shouldn't even have a job being a blogger on the Internet.

The right road. It's one thing to keep mum about the details but Gruber's snide allusions have been embarrassing and hypocritical. Frankly if we were to take his link regarding 'why wasn't I consulted' seriously then he shouldn't even have a job being a blogger on the Internet.

Agreed. Compare Dan's response to Gruber/Mike Monteiro's. World of a difference.

:D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good afternoon chaps!

Is there a definitive app for showing off an iPad 3 display? I'm getting mine tomorrow and I want some hot shit ready to go. I have games well covered as it is but I was wondering if there was any non-game software that stands out.

Barefoot world atlas was the first app that made me go 'ooh'. Fairly simple (and not cheap) globe where you can spin/zoom and there are little items that you can touch to learn about them. Just the way you had all these tiny items but they were all clearly visible.

TBH most of the time I don't think 'ooh this retina'. But I recently got an iPad 2 for the kids, and that looks really pixelly in comparison. But when I had an iPad 1 it looked fine. So it's a bit like moving up to HD or CD, you get used to it very quickly and don't fully appreciate it until you see what you came from

have been for like five years! i'm not even asking for free like vanity fair and new yorker do it necessarily, just at least throw me a bone. same for retrogamer unfortunately :/

I feel your pain, retina enabled magazines are just gorgeous on the iPad, and when you include convenience factor with the amazing image I actually prefer digital to print. I just wish the newsstand selection came even close to an actual newsstand

SickBoy

Edge updated to 2.0, so now pages don't take 5secs+ each to fully render, now almost instant. Now I can read it

Is there any value to the app versus Zinio, which is how I'm currently subscribed?

I love the digital newsstand world. Even better when you get print/digital together (thanks Wired!). Just wish I had more time to actually give these mags the time they deserve.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is there any value to the app versus Zinio, which is how I'm currently subscribed?

I love the digital newsstand world. Even better when you get print/digital together (thanks Wired!). Just wish I had more time to actually give these mags the time they deserve.

Having New Yorker & Vanity Fair on my iPad has actually increased my reading of them a lot. Usually they'd just get thrown onto the pile and then tossed with nary a glance but having them handy at all times is nice. Helps that Conde Nast has done some great work with the apps themselves in terms of presentation and resolution (still could do with a bit more snazziness like videos and the like though), and also that the print mags are hardly that impressive aesthetically (unlike Edge, which has fantastic paper quality, and Retro Gamer, which is really big).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Argh...wiped up my iPad screen this morning with a soft cloth and noticed a 1inch scratch right in the middle of the screen. Only thing I can think of is that the smart cover caught up some debris that rubbed up against the screen. Bummed.

Is this a common issue with the smart covers? :(

I don't know if the apple newsstand has any particular advantage besides being more convenient

Detox

Recently got my iPad 3 does the YouTube app automatically pick the highest quality video available? Some videos look bad although I haven't gone on my pc to check if there are HD versions of them available.

Oh and can you run two apps simultaneously like side by side? I was thinking of safari and a small puzzle game specifically.

Acosta

Planning to buy an iPad, but I have a doubt. I want the dock+keyboard combo from Apple, I prefer it over a bluetooth one, and I like the idea of getting out of the Apple Store with the complete pack.

Do anyone here can provide feedback about it? does it work well?

Blackhead

Redarse
How do you upload videos from your iPad to YouTube higher than 360p? I have "high definition" checked but no dice.

Recently got my iPad 3 does the YouTube app automatically pick the highest quality video available? Some videos look bad although I haven't gone on my pc to check if there are HD versions of them available.
Apple added support for 720p uploads in iOS 4.2. Are you trying to upload over 3G/4G? That might be restricted... there used to be third-party apps that support youtube uploads but I haven't bothered with those in ages. Check the appstore.

Oh and can you run two apps simultaneously like side by side? I was thinking of safari and a small puzzle game specifically.
No.

Planning to buy an iPad, but I have a doubt. I want the dock+keyboard combo from Apple, I prefer it over a bluetooth one, and I like the idea of getting out of the Apple Store with the complete pack.

Do anyone here can provide feedback about it? does it work well?
Apple doesn't sell it anymore. You can still find it on ebay/craigslist though and it should work. I can't say how well the new iPad fits on that dock from experience—it's a different shape and weight distribution. I'd advise you try to test it or buy with an option to return. The biggest advantage of the bluetooth over the dock keyboard is the ability to flip between portrait and landscape (there were rumors that the next iPad would get two ports in both orientations but that obviously never panned out). It can get tedious reaching up to touch the screen, and it gets especially rough in portrait where the UI elements at the top are further away. Often you just want a change in orientation. I'd caution that the dock keyboard isn't worth the price, it doesn't even work with the iPhone. Perhaps if the iPad were intended for a computer novice then the simplicity and reliability of setup would override all the cons. As a compromise you could connect a regular keyboard via cable with Apple's USB adapter in the Camera kit

NYR

Not sure, but I can tell you the YouTube app is terrible and hasn't been updated since day 1.

go to YouTube via Safari. It's better. You can add a bookmark icon to your home screen.

Nope. But there is multi-tasking. You can have both open at the same time and switch back and forth by pushing the home button twice or four finger swipe up...

LCfiner

Not sure, but I can tell you the YouTube app is terrible and hasn't been updated since day 1.

go to YouTube via Safari. It's better. You can add a bookmark icon to your home screen.

Nope. But there is multi-tasking. You can have both open at the same time and switch back and forth by pushing the home button twice or four finger swipe up...

or the left/ right four finger swipes, which is a bit faster for frequent back and forth switching between the same two apps. (although my muscle memory still has me double tapping the home button even though I don't need to anymore)

Blackhead

Redarse
Weird, in the Spanish Apple page they say they have keyboards with docks in stock...

http://store.apple.com/es/product/MC533Y/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4OTY

I guess they have stock left. Will ask in the shop.

I've owned the dock previously and use it with the iPad 1 and iPad 2.

I can't say how well the new iPad fits on that dock from experience—it's a different shape and weight distribution. I'd advise you try to test it or buy with an option to return. The biggest advantage of the bluetooth over the dock keyboard is the ability to flip between portrait and landscape (there were rumors that the next iPad would get two ports in both orientations but that obviously never panned out). It can get tedious reaching up to touch the screen, and it gets especially rough in portrait where the UI elements at the top are further away. Often you just want a change in orientation. I'd caution that the dock keyboard isn't worth the price, it doesn't even work with the iPhone. Perhaps if the iPad were intended for a computer novice then the simplicity and reliability of setup would override all the cons. As a compromise you could connect a regular keyboard via cable with Apple's USB adapter in the Camera kit

Acosta

I've owned the dock previously and use it with the iPad 1 and iPad 2.

I can't say how well the new iPad fits on that dock from experience—it's a different shape and weight distribution. I'd advise you try to test it or buy with an option to return. The biggest advantage of the bluetooth over the dock keyboard is the ability to flip between portrait and landscape (there were rumors that the next iPad would get two ports in both orientations but that obviously never panned out). It can get tedious reaching up to touch the screen, and it gets especially rough in portrait where the UI elements at the top are further away. Often you just want a change in orientation. I'd caution that the dock keyboard isn't worth the price, it doesn't even work with the iPhone. Perhaps if the iPad were intended for a computer novice then the simplicity and reliability of setup would override all the cons. As a compromise you could connect a regular keyboard via cable with Apple's USB adapter in the Camera kit

Really appreciated. I have a weird mania about preferring things connecting physically in some way, so I thought about the dock... but if there is some hassle managing it on portrait that changes things. Thanks a lot for the input.

kruskev

Really appreciated. I have a weird mania about preferring things connecting physically in some way, so I thought about the dock... but if there is some hassle managing it on portrait that changes things. Thanks a lot for the input.

I have the keyboard dock and it works fine with the new iPad. The fit to the connector is obviously a bit loose, no complaints otherwise.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Argh...wiped up my iPad screen this morning with a soft cloth and noticed a 1inch scratch right in the middle of the screen. Only thing I can think of is that the smart cover caught up some debris that rubbed up against the screen. Bummed.

Is this a common issue with the smart covers? :(

I'd say it's more likely your soft cloth had some debris on it and you created the scratch wiping the screen.

The app store page for the new Google Search app shows a bunch of apps that doesn't appear for me... Like Maps, Places, they even have 2 pages of apps while here not even the first one is filled...

How can i add apps to it?

Detox

Damn, why don't they update it? Is it something to do with android? Just tried to share a video to get a link for gaf and all I get is a add to favourites, tweet and email... the YouTube app on android has no problems copying URL.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Damn, why don't they update it? Is it something to do with android? Just tried to share a video to get a link for gaf and all I get is a add to favourites, tweet and email... the YouTube app on android has no problems copying URL.

The Youtube app on Android isn't much better the last time I checked. Granted it was on a Gingerbread device.

KtSlime

You can select email, copy the link, and then cancel out of the email. It's not ideal, but it does provide a clunky way to do it. They really should update the app. Hopefully iOS6.

numble

You can select email, copy the link, and then cancel out of the email. It's not ideal, but it does provide a clunky way to do it. They really should update the app. Hopefully iOS6.
They seem to just want to let it die. To demonstrate streaming video over LTE, they demoed Vimeo at the new iPad event, instead of YouTube. They've already removed YouTube from their iOS devices in their 2nd largest market.

Stantron

The youtube app also doesn't list all of the subscriptions you have, nor does it order them in any meaningful way.
On a related note, anyone know of a way to show more than the last 100 "new videos" from your subscription page? Sometimes certain channels spam videos drowning out the rest.

Top Bottom