• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Husker86

The Youtube app on Android isn't much better the last time I checked. Granted it was on a Gingerbread device.

The YouTube app on Android is freakin awesome. The same one is available on Gingerbread too and has been for a while I think.

Mobile YouTube on the iPad is great, just too bad you can't change what opens YouTube links in iOS.

edit:
It won't if you disable YouTube in Settings>General>Restrictions.

Thank you!

The Youtube app on Android isn't much better the last time I checked. Granted it was on a Gingerbread device.

The Youtube app on Android is great, basically the same as Youtube via a mobile browser. For example, in the iOS app if search for a video you can't sort the results (like newest first), but in the browser and on the Android app you can. Plus the UI is much nicer.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Youtube app on Android is great, basically the same as Youtube via a mobile browser. For example, in the iOS app if search for a video you can't sort the results (like newest first), but in the browser and on the Android app you can. Plus the UI is much nicer.

yeah of course it's better. it's apple that develops the shitty iOS app in case that wasn't made clear before

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/google-makes-the-iphone-youtube-app-obsolete/

Detox

I guess restricting the app is good but it feels like a compromise as you have to click the link to see what the video is with the weird crossed out box if someone hasn't put a descriptive title on it. Didn't realise apple developed the app and used Vimeo in their latest showcase not sure why they are neglecting the YouTube app considering how popular it is.

I guess restricting the app is good but it feels like a compromise as you have to click the link to see what the video is with the weird crossed out box if someone hasn't put a descriptive title on it. Didn't realise apple developed the app and used Vimeo in their latest showcase not sure why they are neglecting the YouTube app considering how popular it is.
Because they've burned all bridges with Google.

LCfiner

yeah, similar to the maps app,the youtube app is something that was nice in 2007 (especially since every video on the main site was embedded in a flash player at the time) but has languished without notable updates for too long.

I assume Apple wants to ditch the app completely. I wonder if they're ready to do that and weather the backlash. I would be for it, really. I don't like being booted from safari when clicking a youtube link. I'd rather just watch it within the browser.

Husker86

It won't if you disable YouTube in Settings>General>Restrictions.

yeah, similar to the maps app,the youtube app is something that was nice in 2007 (especially since every video on the main site was embedded in a flash player at the time) but has languished without notable updates for too long.

I assume Apple wants to ditch the app completely. I wonder if they're ready to do that and weather the backlash. I would be for it, really. I don't like being booted from safari when clicking a youtube link. I'd rather just watch it within the browser.
This works!

Aiii

So not worth it
I find myself going to youtube mobile on my iPad more and more nowadays really. But I doubt they will ditch the app, it's still a vital selling point to new customers I'd reckon.

But agreed, it's very limited and needs an upgrade.

A bloggers perspective on Diet Coda

http://www.macstories.net/stories/diet-coda-from-an-ipad-bloggers-perspective/

I must admit to macstories becoming one of my favorite sites to read.

I can’t review Diet Coda — as I said, I wouldn’t be able to fully understand its functionalities and judge its (possible) shortcomings when compared to the (also coming today) Coda 2. But I can recognize software crafted with care and attention to detail. Diet Coda immediately stands out as one of those apps where pixels aren’t just there to fill the screen — they’re the epitome of design enhanced for function.

This reads more like a poorly written sponsored post.

ckohler

I've spent about 20 minutes using Diet Coda and it's pretty great. The custom keyboards for editing are very helpful (almost essential) and it's very snappy at both file navigation and editing. Finally a tool that lets me make quick edits/corrections anywhere.

The only issues I've run into so far are that previewing a page seems to only render a local copy (which is stupid because that means no server-side processing). It's big brother (Coda 2) requests the actual live page, so hopefully they can easily change this behavior. Also, I it set to use iCloud but it didn't import my Coda 2 sites which were also set to use iCloud. That might have been an iCloud problem, though.

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple Has Removed Airfoil Speakers Touch From The iOS App Store

Rogue Amoeba said:
Since 2009, Airfoil Speakers Touch has made it possible to send audio from your Mac or Windows machine to your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, using Airfoil and its audio streaming capability. Last month, we introduced Airfoil Speakers Touch 3, which added the ability to receive audio directly from other iOS devices, as well as iTunes. Users and reviewers alike have loved Airfoil Speakers Touch, particularly the new version. For our part, we’ve been thrilled to be able to provide this much-desired functionality.

Today, we’ve been informed that Apple has removed Airfoil Speakers Touch from the iOS App Store.1 We first heard from Apple about this decision two days ago, and we’ve been discussing the pending removal with them since then. However, we still do not yet have a clear answer on why Apple has chosen to remove Airfoil Speakers Touch. Needless to say, we’re quite disappointed with their decision, and we’re working hard to once again make the application available for you, our users.

As far as we can tell, Airfoil Speakers Touch is in full compliance with Apple’s posted rules and developer agreements. We’ve already filed an appeal with Apple’s App Review Board, and we’re awaiting further information. Unfortunately, Apple has full control of application distribution on iOS, leaving us with no other recourse here.

As some users may recall, we have been through this before, with Airfoil Speakers Touch no less. We hope to be able to resolve things in similar fashion, and once again provide you with this top-notch tool.

Footnotes:

1. We have not recently submitted a new version for approval, sp this removal was not connected to any pending review caused by an update. Indeed, the removed version (3.0.0) already went through the review process, and was approved back in April. Further, Airfoil Speakers Touch has been repeatedly approved by Apple’s review process since its introduction way back in 2009.

:/

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So guys, is reading on the 9.7" Retina screen a treat? I might replace my Kindle with a new iPad...and it being a full time e-reader is one of the things I'm looking forward to considering DAT RESOLUTION.

So guys, is reading on the 9.7" Retina screen a treat? I might replace my Kindle with a new iPad...and it being a full time e-reader is one of the things I'm looking forward to considering DAT RESOLUTION.

I loving reading on it, I've read 100+ page scripts via Pages in one sitting and had no problems

Husker86

It is nice and I've been using it quite a bit though I own a Kindle Touch. However I will not sell my Kindle, I still use it and considering it was only a $99 investment so I would get even less in return, I think it's worth keeping. The iPad is still very heavy for prolonged reading; I usually use it in bed and support it against a pillow on my legs though.

Before I had a Kindle I read on the OG iPad and the new one really is much nicer for reading.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

It's amazing. I do all my reading on it now.

It's gorgeous. My iPad is now where I read all books, magazines, newspapers, RSS feeds (filter through readability and it just jaw dropping), and graphic novels. I can never go back to eink-though I kept my kindle around since it's dirt cheap-and HATE having to resort to dead trees when something isn't available digitally.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Thanks for all the responses guys, I should be getting my iPad soon...just confirmed a sale of my Kindle Fire to my friend.

I want to use the Smart Cover, any consensus on what's the best back casing to compliment a smart cover?
Before I had a Kindle I read on the OG iPad and the new one really is much nicer for reading.
Yeah, I had an OG iPad a while back. It wasn't too bad itself. Really looking forward to reading my books on this new retina screen. I also recently learned that you can read mobi books on the Kindle app on the iPad, which will make the transition a lot better.

Quick

Banned
Thanks for all the responses guys, I should be getting my iPad soon...just confirmed a sale of my Kindle Fire to my friend.

I want to use the Smart Cover, any consensus on what's the best back casing to compliment a smart cover?

Yeah, I had an OG iPad a while back. It wasn't too bad itself. Really looking forward to reading my books on this new retina screen. I also recently learned that you can read mobi books on the Kindle app on the iPad, which will make the transition a lot better.

I keep pimping it in this thread, but I personally really like the Griffin Intellicase.

It's $60 on their website, but it's $50 in Canada (at Best Buy here, at least), and it works just like a Smart Cover, with a back case already included.

I'm listening to hypercritical right now and Dan just brought up the tshirts for sale. I guess this is over too :'-(

Yeah, I actually bailed on Hypercritical to check this out (I prefer to listen to Siracusa with show notes available haha).

I'm thinking it was a mixture of the revenue coming in from the shirts and the app. The rumor I read was that John was looking for some sort of equity stake in 5by5 and that's what Mule offered him.

numble

I love you numble, but that review is ridiculous. After one week you write that?

EDIT: This second episode is very much improved, so far. 45 minutes in.
Marco Arment and John Siracusa taught me how you can make early reviews nice and effective. And most iTunes listeners seem to agree that it's helpful.

btkadams

just got my first ipad!! really excited :) i got the 64gb white wifi version.

i've never had an ipad, so i'm new to everything ipad-specific. the parallels with ios on the 4s are familiar though, as i've had that since launch in october. i understand the ipad gestures and they're great.

any quick ipad recommendations? i've got some iphone apps that will translate over, but i'd like to try some ipad-exclusive stuff that i've ignored if they're better. this is my only portable computer now that i've converted my laptop into an always-plugged-in desktop, so anything useful woulod be great to hear about. i'm scouring the internet for lists, but i'm getting a lot of old results.

thoughts so far:
+ i'm loving pulp.
+ it really pisses me off that some games are universal, and some run in that shitty in-screen iphone window.
+ what's with the lack of pizza delivery apps in canada? so weak haha.
+ smart cover is awesome
+ the ppi on this thing is incredible

oh, if i am running an iphone app in that compatibility mode window, am i only able to run it in portrait mode? it didn't seem to switch orientations when i held it in landscape.

SuperPac

Sounds like the reasons line up with the speculation. Gruber wanted some sort of financial compensation from Dan and Dan was not willing to cut him in.

Really seems strange. I mean, how much actual prep or editing or what have you was gruber doing? He rolled out of bed and reiterated a lot of what he'd already put up on daring fireball. Dan appeared to bring a lot of the actual topics to the table. It wasn't like Gruber was running a podcast network with a bunch of other shows, doing an app, chasing down sponsors, etc. I guess I could sort of understand if, say, gruber wanted to move DF to a 5by5 URL and really put a stake into it. Otherwise seems like he's just being an ass.

That said I really hope no one else leaves 5by5. I like Dan as co-host/voice of the listener on the other shows.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Really seems strange. I mean, how much actual prep or editing or what have you was gruber doing? He rolled out of bed and reiterated a lot of what he'd already put up on daring fireball. Dan appeared to bring a lot of the actual topics to the table. It wasn't like Gruber was running a podcast network with a bunch of other shows, doing an app, chasing down sponsors, etc. I guess I could sort of understand if, say, gruber wanted to move DF to a 5by5 URL and really put a stake into it. Otherwise seems like he's just being an ass.

That said I really hope no one else leaves 5by5. I like Dan as co-host/voice of the listener on the other shows.

wait are you saying he was dormering it

Ettie

Wife is thinking about getting a Khomo dual case for her new Ipad. Questions:

1. Are they of a decent quality?
2. Is the back cover rubber-y or plastic-y?

Brahs my pops got one of the 2's, but he is having trouble with the wifi. In some places it gets a really low signal but from the farthest place from the source it is pretty high. Is there something that could be causing interference or such? Thanks brahs.

japtor

any quick ipad recommendations? i've got some iphone apps that will translate over, but i'd like to try some ipad-exclusive stuff that i've ignored if they're better. this is my only portable computer now that i've converted my laptop into an always-plugged-in desktop, so anything useful woulod be great to hear about. i'm scouring the internet for lists, but i'm getting a lot of old results.
Looking for any types of things in particular? For me the biggest thing is just that there's more useful productivity stuff I think. Granted some of them are on the iPhone too, but the bigger screen makes a huge difference. One example would be remote desktop stuff, particularly with the new screen, like you don't even have to zoom in to see stuff (depending on your eyesight). Another is drawing cause you have so much more room to work with.
oh, if i am running an iphone app in that compatibility mode window, am i only able to run it in portrait mode? it didn't seem to switch orientations when i held it in landscape.
Assuming you don't have the rotation locked turned on, the iPhone app itself would have to support it. Maybe you're just running into a bunch of stuff that doesn't rotate in the first place.

Ettie

I have their black plate and love it. It has a matte-rubbery feel to it.

Awesome TYVM.

Ok, so we just bought this thing. Like, it's still in the packaging. When I got it the Bestbuy dude asked me if I wanted the 4g Verizon or 4g At&t. I picked Verizon, does it matter? I thought the 4g models were carrier independent? Wife really wants to be able to try both carriers if she wants. I'm making her wait to open it until I find an answer on this just in case, but that will only last so long... :)

Wife is thinking about getting a Khomo dual case for her new Ipad. Questions:

1. Are they of a decent quality?
2. Is the back cover rubber-y or plastic-y?

The quality is amazing frankly, especially when the price comes into play. (~$10)

I have no reason to get another case for the life of this iPad.

VPhys

Is anyone not getting a sound "chime" when the plug in their ipad to charge? This has been bothering me for months now.

Is this due to a recent software update?

Is the Retina display holding back iPad graphics?

Wrap-up
It's rare to see a demanding game run at Retina resolution without compromise

In conclusion, it looks like N.O.V.A. 3 is somewhat of an outlier for having such dramatically different graphics on both iPads, and the newer tablet does manage to distinguish itself with some visually excellent titles. 2D games often look amazing on the new iPad, for instance, of which the likes of Waking Mars, Aquaria and Superbrothers: Sword and Sworcery EP are good examples. However, it's rare to see a technically demanding game run at Retina resolution without some compromises, and rarer still to see one equal or exceed the iPad 2's graphics performance at 2048 x 1536. The A5X and Retina display are both very impressive components, then, but it's clear that in gaming much of the former's capability is limited to supporting the demands of the latter.

Gameloft told CNET that a future update to N.O.V.A. 3 will give users the choice between running the game at full resolution or enabling the extra particle effects seen on the iPad 2, but going forward we'd like to see the A5X outshine its predecessor instead of simply matching it. What could it be capable of if developers used the quad-core graphics to push higher quality effects rather than churning out millions of extra pixels for the Retina display? After all, DVDs manage to look realistic enough at 480p.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/26/3019105/retina-display-new-ipad-graphics

btkadams

Looking for any types of things in particular? For me the biggest thing is just that there's more useful productivity stuff I think. Granted some of them are on the iPhone too, but the bigger screen makes a huge difference. One example would be remote desktop stuff, particularly with the new screen, like you don't even have to zoom in to see stuff (depending on your eyesight). Another is drawing cause you have so much more room to work with.

Assuming you don't have the rotation locked turned on, the iPhone app itself would have to support it. Maybe you're just running into a bunch of stuff that doesn't rotate in the first place.
nothing in particular! productivity, utilities, games, music apps, etc. really anything! i totally forgot about remote desktop stuff... is there one in particular that works really well?

yeah, you were right about the screen rotation. i guess the apps i had checked out weren't supporting it because i found some that did.

Is anyone not getting a sound "chime" when the plug in their ipad to charge? This has been bothering me for months now.

hmm.. i just got one and have the most recent software update, and mine chimes..

Husker86

nothing in particular! productivity, utilities, games, music apps, etc. really anything! i totally forgot about remote desktop stuff... is there one in particular that works really well?

yeah, you were right about the screen rotation. i guess the apps i had checked out weren't supporting it because i found some that did.

hmm.. i just got one and have the most recent software update, and mine chimes..
I used to only use TeamViewer but I love Splashtop for remote desktop so much more.

Is your mute switch on?

RedAssedApe

Banned
My iPad 3 dropped and the glass is cracked :-( what can i do?
I'm in the UK. Does anyone know what it will cost to repair/replace it?

please help!

If you go through official channels:

$100 if you have Applecare+ (this has to be purchased within 30 days of your purchase)
$299 non-warranty covered repair

With that being said, some people have posted stories online of walking into an Apple Store and getting a one time replacement even though it was clearly their own fault for the drop. If you are near any Apple stores it may be worth a shot. YMMV obviously.

There are also third parties who do repairs or sell parts for DIYers. I know a few who've DIY repaired iPhones, I don't know if iPad is as easy. You can try Googling.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dude they should move the volume and orientation lock to the top of the iPad.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Dude they should move the volume and orientation lock to the top of the iPad.

I'm wondering if its just a matter of aesthetics. Having all those buttons (power, volume, lock) at the top would look funny to me. But I agree that adjusting volume and lock while in landscape is annoying. They should just put both mute/lock rotation under the home button menu regardless of whether you have the physical button set to lock or mute.

Top Bottom