• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

If you go through official channels:

$100 if you have Applecare+ (this has to be purchased within 30 days of your purchase)
$299 non-warranty covered repair

With that being said, some people have posted stories online of walking into an Apple Store and getting a one time replacement even though it was clearly their own fault for the drop. If you are near any Apple stores it may be worth a shot. YMMV obviously.

There are also third parties who do repairs or sell parts for DIYers. I know a few who've DIY repaired iPhones, I don't know if iPad is as easy. You can try Googling.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to ask around and see i guess. Hopefully i get a decent fix from apple.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I almost think that holding the home button for orientation lock would be pretty great.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm maybe a double tap then? The point was that's a button ripe for other uses.
Nothing would please me more than to be entering morse code like commands into my iOS devices for super random things. Someone should make a Cydia app with fully programmable controls for the buttons.

Nothing would please me more than to be entering morse code like commands into my iOS devices for super random things. Someone should make a Cydia app with fully programmable controls for the buttons.
Activator is what you're looking for.

Cheebo

Banned

You double tap to open up your minimized programs. Pressing it, holding it, and double tapping it are all used for pretty essential things.

noah111

Still Alive
I hate how this thread is in OT! Been a while since I peeped in here, but i'll be getting my new iPad this week, 64GB 4G(!).

dream

I would love to lock Jtwo and Charred in a room and have them design a product as wild and esoteric as they'd like it to be.

I would love to lock Jtwo and Charred in a room and have them design a product as wild and esoteric as they'd like it to be.

TheHomer.jpg

Rocket786

So does anyone use the Mercury browser? I find it to be the best of the browsers I've tried. After the recent update, all the gesture controls work pretty smoothly. Do any other browsers allow gesture controls?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think he's talking about the sleep/wake button. You need to hold it down to function as an on/off button. Not sure if any mobile device these days has a dedicated power button
Come on.

I'd design the fabled monolith phone. No doubt.
I want a Brass phone painted black like those Leica cameras so the phone starts to look really badass when it gets scratched and s tarts to wear and tear.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
So, I know this is mostly subjective, but did anyone choose a white or black iPad based on things outside of preference of color? I'm thinking about which I should get. I have a white iPhone...but yeah.

DarkMehm

If you want to watch movies or any kind of video then black is the color to go, because it isn't distracting. It's better for reading books too. White is just for style. For all other things it is impractical. There is a reason why Monitors or TVs have black bezels 99% of the time.

Oppo

I was very close to buying a 3rd gen iPad just 30 minutes ago, but somehow couldn't quite bring myself to do it. Still using an original ipad. I think I might try and hold out for the 4th gen, for a nice big leap forward. the retina screen is super nice but... I do have an iPad, it's crashier and not as fast but ... just hard to justify, even to my nerd brain.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I was very close to buying a 3rd gen iPad just 30 minutes ago, but somehow couldn't quite bring myself to do it. Still using an original ipad. I think I might try and hold out for the 4th gen, for a nice big leap forward. the retina screen is super nice but... I do have an iPad, it's crashier and not as fast but ... just hard to justify, even to my nerd brain.

Naw. I couldn't wait to get rid of my POS iPad 1. Safari was unusable on that thing. Crashed all the time. I kind of feel bad for handing it down to my wife but she mostly just uses it for Netflix so the low RAM doesn't affect her as much as it did me.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I feel this inexplicable guilt when I bring my iPad over to my friends house and we sit on the couch together browsing and he only has an iPad 1.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
If you want to watch movies or any kind of video then black is the color to go, because it isn't distracting. It's better for reading books too. White is just for style. For all other things it is impractical. There is a reason why Monitors or TVs have black bezels 99% of the time.
Good point, I definitely plan to use my iPad as my full time e-reader. I think I'll go with black.

So does anyone use the Mercury browser? I find it to be the best of the browsers I've tried. After the recent update, all the gesture controls work pretty smoothly. Do any other browsers allow gesture controls?

Yep I use mercury for over a month now, I do prefer it over Safari, once you get used to (adapt) to the gestures, it's not bad, and it recently got the crisp retina (high res) update.

Really happy with it, Synced my Firefox bookmarks etc. I just wish it supported "Read it later" along with "Readability', simply put, I've grown accustomed to"Read it later" in the past year, and wish not to switch to "Readability" just for this app.

Other than that, it's chalk full of features, I am very happy with it, well worth the $0.99 price tag. I am giving Grazing a try at the moment, just got it today (due to most of GAF here hyping it up) I do find its (Safari like) layout more "minimal" and cleaner than Mercury off the bat, but too early for me to decide which one is better in the long run.

If you are going to use it as an e-reader, then white is fine. The screen you are looking at will also be white, and it will blend in. White is fine for a web-browsing too.

The only time white looks wrong is when the iPad is off, and there is a big black void in the middle.

I also have a white iPad and I think it's fine, I watch Podcast/Youtube (videos) all the time on it, when you are watching video in dim lit rooms or in the dark, you will not notice the white frame much, not even if the room is well lit.

This may sound silly but the white frame actually does seem (subconsciously) more like I'm holding a "book" when I am reading books on it in daylight, or browsing the web.

I guess the die hard videophiles who like to watch their latest, digital hi def film in all its 9 inch glory from eight feet away are bothered by the white frame. *shrugs.

Why would white be distracting for reading? Most text isn't presented white on black?

The only time that argument has any weight is for video, especially stuff that has to be letterboxed. But other than that, I don't see the issue. I have a white iPad and I've never thought "wow I'm totally noticing this thing is white".

Just picked up my 32gb Wifi iPad yesterday, and loving it so far.

Here's a question though. I have my Camera connection kit from my old iPad which will work fine.

Does anyone use any non-iphone devices such as an Galaxy S2/S3 to import photo's and videos to their ipad - and will the video be compatible with imovie editing?

I read somewhere that it should be fine as long as the recording device used 44100 sampling for sound recording (and h264 for video stream).

I haven't got access to a galaxy yet - otherwise I would just try it myself.

Any experiences would be welcome :)

When I select a folder to sync photos from, it only ever adds the first picture to my iPad. I've tried disabling syncing, resetting the computer & iPad to no avail.

Has anybody else had this problem?

Is this a bug? When i press on a photo it comes up with 2 options. Ssave image and copy. But when i press copy and then paste in a browser window it doesnt work. I haveto paste it im the address bar then copy it again and then it pastes

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is this a bug? When i press on a photo it comes up with 2 options. Ssave image and copy. But when i press copy and then paste in a browser window it doesnt work. I haveto paste it im the address bar then copy it again and then it pastes

I bet it pastes in an email.

Man, I really want to get another new iPad. My OG iPad is still working quite well, but I miss the speed and fluidity of the new model. And now that the new jailbreak is out, I could even install nolockscreen and f.lux, which is all I wanted. But my budget plan says no. The 70 bucks coupon I got from Apple, when they screwed up my pre-order, isn't helping.

Life's hard, yo.

Man, I really want to get another new iPad. My OG iPad is still working quite well, but I miss the speed and fluidity of the new model. And now that the new jailbreak is out, I could even install nolockscreen and f.lux, which is all I wanted. But my budget plan says no. The 70 bucks coupon I got from Apple, when they screwed up my pre-order, isn't helping.

Life's hard, yo.

Are there any good reasons to jailbreaking the new iPad? I took my iPhone 4 back to OFW because the performance sucked on the CFW.

Are there any good reasons to jailbreaking the new iPad? I took my iPhone 4 back to OFW because the performance sucked on the CFW.

I don't have an iPhone, so I can't tell you about useful tweaks, but I'm sure there are plenty of them.

One of the most annoying things for me on the iPad is the absolutely useless lock screen, so removing it with the jailbreak was definitely worth it for me on the OG iPad and it really annoyed me, when I had the 3rd gen model and couldn't remove it. f.lux is another "nice to have", because I browse mostly at night and the big bright screen definitely strained my eyes more.

Other than that, there should be that tweak which let's you move the curser by swiping across the keyboard. I should install it. E: it's called SwipeSelection and works really well. Just installed it and it's awesome.

I recommend you to check out the jailbreak thread and ask there. I saw that tweak that could turn Sparrow into the native mail app and knowing how bad the client is on the iPad, I know I would've appreciated something similar for my iPad.

I try to keep my tweaks on the less intrusive side, to change a few things that i don't like without compromising performance...

Right now i have:

AnyAttach (allows you ti send anything from the mail app, even documents from other apps)
BrowserChanger
FolderEhancer and Multiicon mover (folderehancer lets you put infinity apps inside folders, and folders inside of folders, multiicon mover allows you to move up to a whole screen of apps at once)
iFile
ManualCorrect (makes the correction opt-in instead of opt out. That you you can still have spell checking, but will not automatically mess up your writing)
Ncsettings (à la SBsettings, but more elegantly attached to the notification center)
Password Pilot (Keeps your app store password so you don't have to type it anymore, you have to be careful with your ipad though)
RetinaPad
SprintBoard (to quickly change pages using the bottons balls)
StayOpened (don't leave the store app after purchasing)
XBMC

Together they greatly improve my ipad usage ^^

Edit: And, i haven't noticed any performance drain compared to when it was unjailbroken.

JaseMath

Here's my brief review of the new iPad.

The new(!) iPad is my first tablet. It's everything I thought it'd be: a beautifully designed, giant iPhone. I bought a 16GB version knowing full well it was going to be a NeoGAF browsing and comic book reading device...and that's exactly what it's been. I love it, but substituting a tablet (at least as they stand today) in place of a proper desktop or laptop seems naive. All in all, it's a great companion device.

If it matters to anyone reading, I am nowhere near filling my iPad storage. At first I was adamant about a 32GB for piece of mind reasons, but Netflix/Spotify/the cloud pretty much nix any need for additional storage. I don't game too heavily, but I do have several games installed as well.

I just downloaded Manga Rock 2 and after TuneIn Radio, this is the second app I got which relies on the standard ICS design guidelines. I don't want that on my iPad! come up with original UIs, ffs!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Its weird. I still feel more capable browsing with a keyboard and mouse. For just reading a thread or article the iPad is preferable but for intense multitabbed ADD nerdstyle browsing browsing the iPad isn't really all that optimal.

I still like the iPad and am glad to have it, but the more I use it the more I realize its just not really optimal for, well, anything.

Its weird. I still feel more capable browsing with a keyboard and mouse. For just reading a thread or article the iPad is preferable but for intense multitabbed ADD nerdstyle browsing browsing the iPad isn't really all that optimal.

I still like the iPad and am glad to have it, but the more I use it the more I realize its just not really optimal for, well, anything.

It's a toy and you're sane enough to realize that. Congrats.

Top Bottom