• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Wolffen

Stupid question. Im looking at getting my dad one of the refurb 3rd gen ipads from Apple. Has anyone here had any issues with purchasing a refurb ipad directly from Apple? The new ones are a good bit out of the price range I have to work with and as far as I have seen theres very little difference between the 4th an 3rd gen ipads.

Fox Mulder

Stupid question. Im looking at getting my dad one of the refurb 3rd gen ipads from Apple. Has anyone here had any issues with purchasing a refurb ipad directly from Apple? The new ones are a good bit out of the price range I have to work with and as far as I have seen theres very little difference between the 4th an 3rd gen ipads.

I bought my ipad 2 refurb from Apple and it was in mint condition. I think all their returns go through the refurb process regardless, and they fix them up nice.

I'll get my iPad 4 next week, which isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Way better than having to wait 3-4 weeks like the last time and they honored the credit (I doubted it for a second, because I only got it per e-mail). iPad 4 for 429. Yay!

Dem iPad 4 benchmarks...

dat missing link to whatever you're talking about.

2jA0C.jpg

The iPad 4 with its A6X SoC managed to score 1757 points on Geekbench, which is a 111% increase in raw computations performance over the A5X running inside the third-gen iPad. In comparison, the iPhone 5, sporting an A6 chip scored 1571 points, while the iPad 2 with its A5 SoC got 780 points.

The new A6X chip that Apple introduced with the fourth-gen iPad is of the dual-core kind and is clocked at 1.4GHz, as tests show. It also features quad-core graphics in order to handle the Retina display's high resolution. That dual-core A6 chip we mentioned above is clocked slightly lower at 1.3GHz, hence the small difference in benchmark scores between it and the A6X. Apple has outfitted it with "only" three graphics cores. As far as memory is concerned, the tests confirm that the iPad 4 has 1GB of RAM, just as much as the iPad 3 and the iPhone 5 have.
http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPad...chip-runs-at-1.4GHz-1GB-of-RAM-inside_id36097

I hope this will be enough to survive 2 iOS updates.

Cheebo

Banned
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/30...s-show-1-4ghz-dual-core-processor-1gb-of-ram/

The jump from the 3rd gen is pretty damn impressive. That should rectify any issues with performance that the previous model had. I wonder if it will also run cooler now.

My interest in replacing my 2 has grown significantly.

I would be shocked if it didn't run cooler. It got hot because of how over-worked the A5 chip was running the retina display. Even with the "X" for increased GPU the A5 was pushed to it's limits. A6 should be able to handle it a lot better.

I would be shocked if it didn't run cooler. It got hot because of how over-worked the A5 chip was running the retina display. Even with the "X" for increased GPU the A5 was pushed to it's limits. A6 should be able to handle it a lot better.

The new 32 nm process should help in that regard. The A5X is still the biggest manufactured ARM SoC to date, so it's really not surprising that Apple wanted to phase out the 3rd gen ASAP.

siZnS.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6330/the-iphone-5-review/4

Izick

So, I think I'm going to buy an iPad but I'm not sure; I'm considering either getting that, a Nexus 10, or a Chromebook. If I do go the iPad route I'm obviously not going to get a Mini, so the newest (4th gen) is the clear one to get, right? No reason to like buy a used 3 and save like a hundred bucks, right?

I think I'm going to go with an iPad over the Nexus simply for one reason. It's not that the iPad looks better or is more powerful, but I want to buy for the thing I know is going to come first. What does that mean? Well let me explain. What do you always see in commercials for (console) games? Or in entertainment? You see the Xbox 360. You used to see the PS2 like that. What's the first logo you see? The 360 logo. Anyway, the point is that for Apps, it's always ios that's listed first, or gets the first release. I know that if I get an iPad, I'm going to get 95% of the apps that are going to come out, where as if I get an android tablet, I might not get that same attention, or I might be treated as a second-class citizen, so to speak.

I know that probably doesn't even make sense, but I hope some of you get what I mean. I really like the Nexus 10, and I think it's a better device, but I'd rather have the inferior thing that gets all the developer support, or gets the better versions, or gets the stuff first. That's why I got a 360 instead of a PS3 back in the day (I have both now though since the PS3 has a great exclusive library). Anyway, I think I'm going to get the newest iPad, so yeah, that's that. And it's kind of funny because I got banned for a week because I said fanboys, Apple fanboys in particular, are terrible. I mean, I get the decision and don't hold it against anybody, just thought it was funny.

th3dude

So, I think I'm going to buy an iPad but I'm not sure; I'm considering either getting that, a Nexus 10, or a Chromebook. If I do go the iPad route I'm obviously not going to get a Mini, so the newest (4th gen) is the clear one to get, right? No reason to like buy a used 3 and save like a hundred bucks, right?

I think I'm going to go with an iPad over the Nexus simply for one reason. It's not that the iPad looks better or is more powerful, but I want to buy for the thing I know is going to come first. What does that mean? Well let me explain. What do you always see in commercials for (console) games? Or in entertainment? You see the Xbox 360. You used to see the PS2 like that. What's the first logo you see? The 360 logo. Anyway, the point is that for Apps, it's always ios that's listed first, or gets the first release. I know that if I get an iPad, I'm going to get 95% of the apps that are going to come out, where as if I get an android tablet, I might not get that same attention, or I might be treated as a second-class citizen, so to speak.

I know that probably doesn't even make sense, but I hope some of you get what I mean. I really like the Nexus 10, and I think it's a better device, but I'd rather have the inferior thing that gets all the developer support, or gets the better versions, or gets the stuff first. That's why I got a 360 instead of a PS3 back in the day (I have both now though since the PS3 has a great exclusive library). Anyway, I think I'm going to get the newest iPad, so yeah, that's that. And it's kind of funny because I got banned for a week because I said fanboys, Apple fanboys in particular, are terrible. I mean, I get the decision and don't hold it against anybody, just thought it was funny.

I know exactly what you mean.

I've been both an Android and Apple user for some time now. I just went through the same decision process as you regarding Nexus 10 vs iPad 4.

As soon as the Nexus 10 leaked last Friday, I pre-ordered my iPad 4. The Nexus just didn't wow me enough to make me want it over the iPad, even with the cost difference.

As for iPad 3 vs iPad 4, depends on your situation. If you are on more of a budget, the 3rd gen is a great deal right now. If you aren't, the 4th gen is the way to go as it has greatly improved internals.

Izick

I know exactly what you mean.

I've been both an Android and Apple user for some time now. I just went through the same decision process as you regarding Nexus 10 vs iPad 4.

As soon as the Nexus 10 leaked last Friday, I pre-ordered my iPad 4. The Nexus just didn't wow me enough to make me want it over the iPad, even with the cost difference.

As for iPad 3 vs iPad 4, depends on your situation. If you are on more of a budget, the 3rd gen is a great deal right now. If you aren't, the 4th gen is the way to go as it has greatly improved internals.

I mean, how much would you save if you bought a 3, like in general? Is it really even worth it, especially if you plan to sell the iPad at a later date to pay for the next iPad? I figure the price on the 4 with a cover is worth it.

th3dude

I mean, how much would you save if you bought a 3, like in general? Is it really even worth it, especially if you plan to sell the iPad at a later date to pay for the next iPad? I figure the price on the 4 with a cover is worth it.

Well, I think they are selling the re-certified 3 for $379 right now, so that's $120.

As for resale value, the 4 will obviously bring in more money as it is the newer, beefier device.

I went with the 4, but I'm the type that needs the latest and greatest. If you aren't that type and will be browsing and e-mailing with it mostly, you might be better off saving $120. Really hard to say.

Izick

Well, I think they are selling the re-certified 3 for $379 right now, so that's $120.

As for resale value, the 4 will obviously bring in more money as it is the newer, beefier device.

I went with the 4, but I'm the type that needs the latest and greatest. If you aren't that type and will be browsing and e-mailing with it mostly, you might be better off saving $120. Really hard to say.

I had a Nexus 7 for a while, and only dabbled in the tablet ecosystem for a short while this past summer, so this will likely be the first tablet I use for an extended period of time. I have no idea how many apps I'm going to end up using or need, it's really all up in the air right now.

Only games I'm excited for is that Borderlands RTS and the new Shadowrun game.

My goal is to basically for the most part replace my laptop with the iPad. The only things that concern me is the iPad's size (my laptop is 15") and the lack of Flash, as those both hinder video watching, which is one of the main things I love to do. (And I watch on sites that use Flash like Blip.tv or sites that use Springboard, not just Youtube.)

From the Verge review:

In practice, the most noticeable difference between third and fourth generation of iPad is how quickly apps launch. It's not so much that the older iPad is slow to launch apps, but the A6X-powered model is consistently and noticeably faster to do so. Light apps (like Notes or Mail) launch only a beat faster, but games and movies were often several seconds faster to open on the new model. It makes for a much smoother experience — Instapaper used to show an empty shelf for a second or two before populating, and now pops to fully stocked life almost instantly.

The browser's also a little faster, both to launch and to load pages. Apple has touted improved Wi-Fi performance on the new iPad, which could also be contributing — either way, the browser performance is better than ever, though it's not an earth-shattering improvement. The upgraded FaceTime camera is definitely better as well. The picture's noticeably sharper, especially in small details like eyes and teeth, but it's only "good" on the spectrum of integrated webcams — it's a better video chat experience, but still useless for pretty much everything else.

Apple iPad (4th generation, Wi-Fi)

GOOD STUFF
Display is still best-in-class
Apps launch faster and smoother than ever
App ecosystem is unrivaled

BAD STUFF
iOS is lacking some features
Lightning ecosystem is relatively small
Still pricey with LTE

The fourth-generation iPad is the very definition of an iterative change: Apple made important things better, but neither overhauled nor revolutionized anything. If the iPad's history is any indication, the fourth-generation iPad's advantages over the third-gen model will be most apparent two years from now, when apps are designed for the better processor and the Lightning connector has spawned a much larger universe of accessories. Then you'll want the extra power and the adapter-free lifestyle.

For now, if you're within your return window you should probably swap for the newest iPad, but if not? Rest assured you're not really missing that much. Not yet, at least.
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/30/3572974/apple-ipad-review-4th-generation

As expected, if you're a 3rd gen user, there's no reason to be mad about the release of this one.

Of course Apple doesn't care but then I didn't say they did. brotkasten was talking about the users caring and I responded to that.

The users that care about resale value probably already put their 3rd gen devices online, minutes after the announcement. So how does it matter if they did it last week, instead of March next year?

Blackhead

Redarse
The users that care about resale value probably already put their 3rd gen devices online, minutes after the announcement. So how does it matter if they did it last week, instead of March next year?
Well Apple put their own iPad3s online at the same time for $379. And the people that are actually care the most about the money don't put their devices online immediately after the announcement, they usually keep their devices past one generation. The people most savvy about resale value and iPad events are also Apple's most loyal supports and, let's be honest, would pay the premium either way. Just from the posts on GAF the people most mad about this aren't the usual Apple folks who waited in line for the iPad 3 at launch, it's the people who are casual users are weren't paying attention to tech sites with rumors of the iPad4

yeah, the resale value option is just for the minority of iPad owners. most people don't buy an ipad just to sell it off every year for the latest

So is there going to be another iPad announced next summer or we going to see iPad revisions in fall from now on?

I'm in interested in the 10inch iPad but I feel a redesign, similar to the iPad Mini/iPhone 5 is coming soon, as early as next summer?

What do you guys think?

So is there going to be another iPad announced next summer or we going to see iPad revisions in fall from now on?

I'm in interested in the 10inch iPad but I feel a redesign, similar to the iPad Mini/iPhone 5 is coming soon, as early as next summer?

What do you guys think?

I don't think we see anything till next fall, then again, no thought the 4th gen was going to be announced last week and we were all wrong

I don't think we see anything till next fall, then again, no thought the 4th gen was going to be announced last week and we were all wrong

Yeah, I just thought they would do a slight redesign with the lightening connector and iPhone 5 design for the 10inch iPad come next March. I was wrong.

I'm still not missing my 3rd gen since selling it. Debating if I really am going to get a 4th gen now.

Question: Does the iPad Mini have the new chip? Is there a downside to getting that model as opposed to the full sized 4th gen?

I'm still not missing my 3rd gen since selling it. Debating if I really am going to get a 4th gen now.

Question: Does the iPad Mini have the new chip? Is there a downside to getting that model as opposed to the full sized 4th gen?

The iPad mini has the same old A5 chip that's in the iPad 2.

If you are used to a higher resolution screen, say with a phone, tablet or a laptop, I guess that would be quite bothering.

If you are not, go right in and pull the trigger. I still suggest the Nexus 7 unless you need iOS and its apps.

The iPad mini has the same old A5 chip that's in the iPad 2.

If you are used to a higher resolution screen, say with a phone, tablet or a laptop, I guess that would be quite bothering.

If you are not, go right in and pull the trigger. I still suggest the Nexus 7 unless you need iOS and its apps.

Thank you both. I'm pretty locked into the iOS ecosystem so if I get a new tablet it'll be an iPad variant.

I didn't realize that the iPad Mini featured the non-retina display. After spending six months with the iPad 3 I think that would be a deal-breaker for me.

I guess I'll give it another couple of weeks to see if I really miss having one before jumping back in.

Well Apple put their own iPad3s online at the same time for $379. And the people that are actually care the most about the money don't put their devices online immediately after the announcement, they usually keep their devices past one generation. The people most savvy about resale value and iPad events are also Apple's most loyal supports and, let's be honest, would pay the premium either way. Just from the posts on GAF the people most mad about this aren't the usual Apple folks who waited in line for the iPad 3 at launch, it's the people who are casual users are weren't paying attention to tech sites with rumors of the iPad4

They can still keep it past one generation and instead of selling the 3rd gen 24 months later, they get to sell it 18 months later.

Blackhead

Redarse
Thank you both. I'm pretty locked into the iOS ecosystem so if I get a new tablet it'll be an iPad variant.

I didn't realize that the iPad Mini featured the non-retina display. After spending six months with the iPad 3 I think that would be a deal-breaker for me.

I guess I'll give it another couple of weeks to see if I really miss having one before jumping back in.
Give it three weeks. Bookmark November 23, Black Friday, the one day of the year Apple has sales on its products. It's usually not much, $41 to $61 i.e 8%—9%, but I'll keep an eye on the iPad Mini for a potential doorbusting sub $300 price (although the iPad didn't get a discount on its first black friday iirc). Or you could pick up a refurbished iPad 3 likely for less than you sold it for muahaha.

Give it three weeks. Bookmark November 23, Black Friday, the one day of the year Apple has sales on their products. It's usually not much, $41 to $61 i.e 8%—9%, but I'll keeping an eye on the iPad Mini for a potential doorbusting sub $300 price (although the iPad didn't get a discount on its first black friday iirc). Or you could pick up a refurbished iPad 3 likely for less than you sold it for muahaha.

Good suggestion. Unfortunately Canada doesn't get the benefit of those deals!

Blackhead

Redarse
Canada doesn't get the Black Friday deals but it does have the Refurbished Store. Works just like the American one, ships from the same place too except that the prices are jacked up by few extra $$.

Good suggestion. Unfortunately Canada doesn't get the benefit of those deals!

Yes, it does, every country with an official Apple retail presence gets it, including Canada

Reposting for the new page incase anyone misses it. The International Black Friday deals are definitely real (and are different from the Education store prices which typically don't include discounts on the iPads for individual purchases). I wouldn't suggest that a Gary Whitta forgo waiting in line for an iPad mini this Friday but for anyone else deadset on an Apple purchase it's probably best to wait 'til Nov 23 just to see if your device is included.

Yeah, I just thought they would do a slight redesign with the lightening connector and iPhone 5 design for the 10inch iPad come next March. I was wrong.

At the conference when they were talking about A6X, FaceTime HD, improved wifi, I thought they were talking about the iPad mini lol

Reposting for the new page incase anyone misses it. The International Black Friday deals are definitely real (and are different from the Education store prices which typically don't include discounts on the iPads for individual purchases). I wouldn't suggest that a Gary Whitta forgo waiting in line for an iPad mini this Friday but for anyone else deadset on an Apple purchase it's probably best to wait 'til Nov 23 just to see if your device is included.

This. Bought my Macbook Air on Black Friday last year in Quebec. Wasn't exactly a huge discount or anything but this is basically your only chance to get a discount on Apple products.

Izick

Will I be able to get an iPad 4 after it's "launched" or whatever? It doesn't seem like it's going to be a stupid-hot item like the Mini or a new iPhone, so I'm hoping I won't have to wait for weeks if I don't pre-order.

Will I be able to get an iPad 4 after it's "launched" or whatever? It doesn't seem like it's going to be a stupid-hot item like the Mini or a new iPhone, so I'm hoping I won't have to wait for weeks if I don't pre-order.

You should be able to get it on Friday without problems. I pre-ordered few hours after it was available and while my order was pushed back, it was only a week.

Izick

Good.

Well, I'm definitely excited but a bit worried. This is the last chance I give Apple, so I really hope I don't get a fluke defective unit. I had a Macbook Air earlier this year, but it had an issue, and I had to return it, but then the next one I got was even worse (broken speaker and trackpad) and I was completely pissed. I figured I'd wait for a while, and I decided I'd just get a tablet, as all I did on my Macbook was use Chrome 99% of the time anyway to browse Gaf and watch Youtube videos.

just show up to Best Buy at opening and you will get one easily

I'm 250 pages into a thread in which this question has probably been covered, so sorry if it has and I just can't find it! I'm looking for a document typing/editing app for iPad. My only real requirement is that it displays a word-count as I'm typing. Can Pages do that, or is there anything better?

Cheers!

th3dude

I had a Nexus 7 for a while, and only dabbled in the tablet ecosystem for a short while this past summer, so this will likely be the first tablet I use for an extended period of time. I have no idea how many apps I'm going to end up using or need, it's really all up in the air right now.

Only games I'm excited for is that Borderlands RTS and the new Shadowrun game.

My goal is to basically for the most part replace my laptop with the iPad. The only things that concern me is the iPad's size (my laptop is 15") and the lack of Flash, as those both hinder video watching, which is one of the main things I love to do. (And I watch on sites that use Flash like Blip.tv or sites that use Springboard, not just Youtube.)

Wow, you almost described my situation exactly.

I was rocking a smartphone, laptop, and Nexus 7 along with my gaming desktop and obviously I didn't have a need for all of it.

Already sold the Nexus 7 (before the price drop :)) and just sold my laptop. Now I'll have a 64gb iPad 4 and my gaming desktop. Really looking forward to the consolidation.

Now Friday needs to get here!

I'm 250 pages into a thread in which this question has probably been covered, so sorry if it has and I just can't find it! I'm looking for a document typing/editing app for iPad. My only real requirement is that it displays a word-count as I'm typing. Can Pages do that, or is there anything better?

Cheers!

I have Pages and it does have word count

Top Bottom