• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

They JUST released the A6. There is no way they will have the A7 ready by spring, it seems highly impossible.

Well, what if the Spring model was the same spec, but with a redesigned exterior that included weight reductions, was slightly thinner, and more closely resembled the new iPad mini/iPhone 5?

That's kind of what I'm thinking right now.

Cheebo

Banned
Well, what if the Spring model was the same spec, but with a redesigned exterior that included weight reductions, was slightly thinner, and more closely resembled the new iPad mini/iPhone 5?

That would be really odd. Apple doesn't like updating iOS devices more than once a year, the only time they do is when they are changing the yearly schedule for a device to a new time period (like moving iPhone from June to Fall) and now iPad from Spring to Fall. I think all this was was to line up the entire iOS lineup on the same yearly refresh cycle. And to do a refresh without a spec upgrade? Makes no sense.

I don't think you'll find anyone predicting 5th gen iPad in spring.

Then iPad 4 owners would be pissed off beyond belief. But th idea that apple would upgrade only the appearance of the iPad without touching the internals seems very hard to believe

Because they can't pull off weight reductions without cutting the battery capacity, and they can't do that without an A6X die-shrink or a new screen tech (IGZO?) to cut down on backlight power draw. The die-shrink is coming but only in time for the 5S, which pretty much points to another holiday update.

The frame and other tech components make such a minor contribution to system weight and power use at this time; the vast majority of any improvements to be had will come from those two parts.

NYR

Time for a 4th gen thread.

Preordered this morning. Was planning to order at 6 AM when I woke up, didn't care about getting it right away or staying up to pre order, but I ended up waking up at 1:30 AM last night for no reason....just ordered then and there on my phone.

There is no spring model.

Apple released the 4th gen now to capitalize on holiday sales and to reset the cycle to fall.

Look at iPad sales - they slowed during the last quarter. They need to sell them in the winter so their FY starts off with a bang.

There is no spring model.

Apple released the 4th gen now to capitalize on holiday sales and to reset the cycle to fall.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were a spring model, as this could easily be an attempt to ensure all their top end iOS products all have Lightning connectors for the holiday season.

At the same time I wouldn't really be surprised if there were no spring model and the cycle has indeed been reset to fall.

NYR

iPad 4 - Preparing For Shipment.

Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

GuessWho

why would anyone sell ipad 3 for ipad 4 is totally ludicrous to me. It's THE SAME THING. You won't even notice a difference. I don't get it.
My cousin has a Ipad 1 and besides the screen, it feels, exactly the same - minus some minor features.
To be honest, all I use my ipad for is browsing and emails. oh well

why would anyone sell ipad 3 for ipad 4 is totally ludicrous to me. It's THE SAME THING. You won't even notice a difference. I don't get it.
My cousin has a Ipad 1 and besides the screen, it feels, exactly the same - minus some minor features.

$100 to upgrade to the latest model isn't a bad deal.

beast786

I disagree, even for browsing there is a big difference between 1 and 2. Just the amount of memory and speed, and crashes.

The battery drained very quickly on my 3, and it got warm FAST. If what I'm hearing about the 3's inability to run MS Office is true then a 4 is in my future (sold my 3 earlier this week).

I strangely...don't miss my iPad that much though. Haven't really thought about it much...surprised.

The battery drained very quickly on my 3, and it got warm FAST. If what I'm hearing about the 3's inability to run MS Office is true then a 4 is in my future (sold my 3 earlier this week).

I strangely...don't miss my iPad that much though. Haven't really thought about it much...surprised.

Why would the 4 be able to run office but not the 3? Also, battery life on the 4th gen is supposed to be the same.

T.O.P

Banned
Just bought an Ipad3 32Gb + 4g per 490€ (new)

Donnow shit about Apple devices...hope i got it for a good price at least :/

mostly as a gift for my mom btw

Blackhead

Redarse
Craigslist as soon as the announcement happened

No way you will get that deal now, but if you sell your iPad a week before the announcement you only lose $100
At least $100. You're forgetting about paying tax and, for some people, having to replace their accessories to fit the new port or buying an adapter.

At least $100. You're forgetting about paying tax and, for some people, having to replace their accessories to fit the new port or buying an adapter.

I agree with your points, I forget about the tax but I'm ok with that

I personally have never once bought any iPhone or iPad accessories because I thought they were going to change the dock a couple years ago

Fox Mulder

yeah. I've got an ipad 2 and while the jump to the 4 would be huge, I'm probably just going to get a cheaper Apple refurbished ipad 3 instead. I use it for internet, videos, and some gaming. I'm not even into gaming on it as I used to be, and even then it's puzzle type games while I'm in bed. I'll probably read more comics on a retina screen.

NYR

Say that in a year when you want a iPad 5 and can't sell your 3rd gen for anything substantial.

Link for this deal?
www.kijiji.com

www.ebay.com

It's called work. Work to sell your 3rd gen for -$100 retail. List it on multiple sites. Wade through the low ballers - find a buyer who will commit. Sell. Move on. That's what I did. And have done since 2009 on my iDevices. Biggest "loss" I've taken is $150 selling my 4S a week before the 5, and that is only because the guy I sold it too initially at -$100 kept bailing on meets for a week, then balked all together. I had taken the ad down too quick to have a back up. Lesson learned.

DarkFlow

Banned
Anyone else have problem with FaceTime, I just tried using it with my sister on her iPhone and it won't connect. It rings then just sits on connecting. Ended up just using Skype and it worked fine.

Vyer

So I just traded my Nexus 7 today for a iPad 2. Been awhile since I've had a iDevice, so what apps should I get?

What do you like? Podcasts? Newsfeed apps?

Some apps I usually download first:

Downcast (podcast app)
Flipboard
Netflix
Amazon Video
Facebook (rebuilt for iOS, works better than the old shitty app)
Tweetbot (twitter)
Songza
Tunein Radio
Apple Trailers App

Badgerst3

Apple- I am soooo confused.

I have an iPad 2.

I want the iPad 4. I know the 3 is out....

Is the "ipad 4" now out and called the "new iPad"? The 3 came out like 6 months ago....

A little help here. I thought the new iPads usually came out in march.

Sucks not having one, but I just use the website bookmarked to the home screen.

But videos don't play properly full screen, can still see the URL bar etc.

Jasmine is really good

Will give it a go, cheers.

Apple- I am soooo confused.

I have an iPad 2.

I want the iPad 4. I know the 3 is out....

Is the "ipad 4" now out and called the "new iPad"? The 3 came out like 6 months ago....

A little help here. I thought the new iPads usually came out in march.

Quicker then normal refresh, new one is faster and has the new connector. Other then that no difference to the 3.

Badgerst3

Up to speed now. Literally.

So I know its a pure guess- but why would apple really do a spring refresh if the "4th gen" ipad is out in a few weeks.

I was prepared to wait till spring, but now i am vexed.

Again- upgrading from an ipad2 so looking forward to retina, 4g and new processor.

would suck if there is an ipad totally new specs in spring....

NYR

Up to speed now. Literally.

So I know its a pure guess- but why would apple really do a spring refresh if the "4th gen" ipad is out in a few weeks.

I was prepared to wait till spring, but now i am vexed.

Again- upgrading from an ipad2 so looking forward to retina, 4g and new processor.

would suck if there is an ipad totally new specs in spring....
This is the refresh. There won't be another one in the spring, Apple did this to reset the cycle.

iPhones used to come out in July. Now they are October.

Addnan

I finally decided I need one of these in my life, ordered the new new 32GB + one of those case. Any apps that I must have on it? Anyone have tweetbot for iPad? Is it like the iphone version.

Also how does Netflix videos looks at that res. I am assuming netflix only goes to 720p?

Is there any good software to use that will convert video files to work on this thing? (preferably free, but will buy if needed)

Thanks in advance!

solarus

I finally decided I need one of these in my life, ordered the new new 32GB + one of those case. Any apps that I must have on it? Anyone have tweetbot for iPad? Is it like the iphone version.

Also how does Netflix videos looks at that res. I am assuming netflix only goes to 720p?

Is there any good software to use that will convert video files to work on this thing? (preferably free, but will buy if needed)

Thanks in advance!

Handbrake is great for converting video files and its free.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Finally I'm getting an iPad!

Soo excited!

Been waiting for a decent cpu/gpu combo and looks like it finally got there.

I want one with a cellular radio tho and the website lists them as late november.

By the way, I was wondering... do both wifi and cellular have the gps chip? Thanks.

Finally I'm getting an iPad!

Soo excited!

Been waiting for a decent cpu/gpu combo and looks like it finally got there.

I want one with a cellular radio tho and the website lists them as late november.

By the way, I was wondering... do both wifi and cellular have the gps chip? Thanks.

Only the cellular version comes with GPS.

DarkFlow

Banned
Anyone good with jailbreaks, I have a question. So I have a ipad 2 that has jailbroken 4.3.3 but he never upgraded past that. I want to upgrade it to 5.1.1 jailbreak, but I don't have a SHSH blob of that since he never went past 4.3.3. Is there anyway to get to 5.1.1 without it or am I up shit creek?

LTE iPad owners, regrets spending the extra $$$ over the wifi version? I went with a 32GB wifi last time but now I'm debating going with a 16GB LTE. I am around wifi so I'm thinking it I may end of regretting spending the extra $100+ but it's not I like would be on a contract with the LTE version though.

LTE iPad owners, regrets spending the extra $$$ over the wifi version? I went with a 32GB wifi last time but now I'm debating going with a 16GB LTE. I am around wifi so I'm thinking it I may end of regretting spending the extra $100+ but it's not I like would be on a contract with the LTE version though.

Generally here's how it works:

- You'll appreciate the hell out of it whenever you just want internet access and are not at home. No crappy wifi portals and passwords to deal with; you get to (a) stop wasting time and (b) just drink your coffee and browse the web as if you were at home. Or maybe you're out travelling and want to use a map app or something - 3G/LTE solves a lot of problems quickly.

- If you have a phone with tethering, it's less helpful (you could just connect to your phone and get the same thing for free) but you may appreciate it more at times simply because you don't have to kill your phone battery to do it.

- You'll hate spending the extra money if you find yourself only using the internet (or your iPad in general) at home. In that situation, it does nothing for you and you'll probably drop your LTE sub in a month at most.

All in all, I found cellular support useful, but I stopped buying it on my iPad's after second gen. YMMV

CaLe

My iPad just shipped from China apprently, just got my tracking number.

Last Location:
Jiangsu, China, Monday, 10/29/2012
UPS EXPRESS

Edit: Well, fuck me sideways... They only shipped the case.

Addnan

Handbrake is great for converting video files and its free.
Thank you :)

Anyone know how accurate the estimated deliveries are. I know I ordered late so won't be getting it this Friday, but would have been nice to get it before 13th. In the UK if that makes a difference.
Dispatched: 2 weeks Delivers 13 Nov, 2012

edit; changed to 6/11. Woo.

Generally here's how it works:

- You'll appreciate the hell out of it whenever you just want internet access and are not at home. No crappy wifi portals and passwords to deal with; you get to (a) stop wasting time and (b) just drink your coffee and browse the web as if you were at home. Or maybe you're out travelling and want to use a map app or something - 3G/LTE solves a lot of problems quickly.

- If you have a phone with tethering, it's less helpful (you could just connect to your phone and get the same thing for free) but you may appreciate it more at times simply because you don't have to kill your phone battery to do it.

- You'll hate spending the extra money if you find yourself only using the internet (or your iPad in general) at home. In that situation, it does nothing for you and you'll probably drop your LTE sub in a month at most.

All in all, I found cellular support useful, but I stopped buying it on my iPad's after second gen. YMMV

Thanks

hope32

Got a free leather smart cover by calling and getting apple to price match the target deal of a $40 gift card for buying any ipad :)

hope32

you called apple 1-800 # or an apple store?

I called the 1-800 number but you might have to try a few times until someone does it for you. The guy I had looked up the deal on target.com (3rd page of their weekly ad) then said "there was nothing he could do since it was already preparing for shipping" but after i asked him if i could just return it to the apple store and buy it from target he offered a free case instead (to my surprise the leather ones too).

Fox Mulder

So official Apple refurbs come with a 1 year warranty, but is it transferable? I'm selling my ipad 2 that I bought from them in December, so it's still in warranty and the buyer wants to know. I'd assume yes, but wondered if anyone here knew for sure.

Top Bottom