• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

This is the new new iPad with retina display thread, according to apple the third gen iPad doesn't exist

It does exist, according to Apple.

8JvgP.png

Cheebo

Banned
Is this going to be the OT for iPad in general? I don't think it'd make sense to split Mini and the big iPad into their own OT's, All Mac's share a OT for example.

Fox Mulder

I'm going to upgrade from the ipad 2, but how much do they still fetch on ebay or wherever.

I imagine the market is getting flooded with people dumping the 3 as well.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I feel like anyone thinking of upgrading from another iPad to the 4 should try to wait until next April. As of now we have no idea if they announced this one just to change the iPad refresh season or if this 4th gen is just paving the way for a soon-to-come model with less weight, better battery, etc. Unless you don't mind this, obviously, but it may be a good idea to know what are their plans regarding the next upgrade. For all we know the 4 might as well be an "unfinished" model like the 3 is being perceived now by some just to get more people paying attention during the holidays.

Cheebo

Banned
I feel like anyone thinking of upgrading from another iPad to the 4 should try to wait until next April. As of now we have no idea if they announced this one just to change the iPad refresh season or if this 4th gen is just paving the way for a soon-to-come model with less weight, better battery, etc. Unless you don't mind this, obviously, but it may be a good idea to know what are their plans regarding the next upgrade. For all we know the 4 might as well be an "unfinished" model like the 3 is being perceived now by some just to get more people paying attention during the holidays.
Really don't think they will do this again. No way a7 will be ready that fast. This was just done to get iPad's refresh on a fall schedule.

KingKong

Does anyone know if it's even feasible to have IGZO screens by next year or if it's still a few years away?

It seems like that + a redesign would drastically change the iPad (especially if they could get the weight down)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Really don't think they will do this again. No way a7 will be ready that fast. This was just done to get iPad's refresh on a fall schedule.
I'm thinking this too, but maybe they have a model that's at least lighter with better battery around the corner, while keeping the same chip as the 4. No way to know for now but it's something to consider imo. I'm mostly rambling but If they just did this to change the refresh schedule it can also be evidence that they weren't finished working on the "true" next model.

I'm not convinced of that. It really doesn't make much sense to have the iPad and iPhone on very similar schedules.

Apple has always enjoyed spreading their big releases throughout the year, to keep the good news flowing each quarter.

Is anyone else excited for the new one?

I, for one, can't wait to pre-order it tomorrow. I'd just pick it up in a store next week, but I still got some store credit from the last pre-order they screwed up.

Quick

Banned
I have an idea: why don't we either make a new OT or make this the OT for general iPad discussion? Just a thought.

I'm keeping my 3rd gen iPad. It's not broken, nor do I really care for the new processor. As far as my use for it goes, it would be the exact same experience.

Quick

Banned
I figured we've had enough iPads to keep discussions going for a while. Then just continue on to OT2 when this hits 20,000.

There's a thread on the iPad mini, but I'm sure we could include it here, as well.

I figured we've had enough iPads to keep discussions going for a while. Then just continue on to OT2 when this hits 20,000.

There's a thread on the iPad mini, but I'm sure we could include it here, as well.

The mini is technically a different product but no reason why this isn't the official full sized iPad thread

plc268

I have an idea: why don't we either make a new OT or make this the OT for general iPad discussion? Just a thought.

I'm keeping my 3rd gen iPad. It's not broken, nor do I really care for the new processor. As far as my use for it goes, it would be the exact same experience.

So call me stupid, what does the new new ipad offer? I see it has a faster processor and now the lightning cable. Is that pretty much it?

I can't say that the ipad 3 ever felt slow, so a "2x fast" processor feels wasted on me.

I'm thinking this too, but maybe they have a model that's at least lighter with better battery around the corner, while keeping the same chip as the 4. No way to know for now but it's something to consider imo. I'm mostly rambling but If they just did this to change the refresh schedule it can also be evidence that they weren't finished working on the "true" next model.

In order to get a lighter iPad, Apple needs to use smaller (lighter) batteries. But they can't do that unless power consumption drops. So there are 2 things on the table to make that happen:

1. A die-shrink.
Currently the A6/A6X are 32/34nm parts. They're expected to bring that down to 28nm next year, which points to a holiday 2013 product. Of course, if the new rev is faster (as you might expect on the inevitable iPhone 5S in that timeframe), some of the power consumption benefit is lost anyway. But A7 seems completely off the table until 2014.

2. Better display-light efficiency
IGZO (Sharp's new exotic chemical solution to cut LCD backlight power consumption) is shipping but either they don't have enough capacity to do a major deal yet or they're ramping up, which again points to a holiday 2013 product. If IGZO works as Sharp claims than yeah, Apple could probably cut down battery capacity by a third, significantly reducing the iPad's weight. But it's a really big question as to how ready Sharp is to ship IGZO displays in the volume Apple wants; keep in mind Apple already uses multiple screen manufacturers as it is just to reach their current goals.

Quick

Banned
So call me stupid, what does the new new ipad offer? I see it has a faster processor and now the lightning cable. Is that pretty much it?

I can't say that the ipad 3 ever felt slow, so a "2x fast" processor feels wasted on me.

This is my mindset on it.

It also has an HD camera on the front, expanded LTE support, and improved Wi-Fi.

I've seen a lot of people complain the third iPad never quite lived up to the battery life claims. The new chip in my iPhone 5 seems very efficient, with improved performance, so that is likely to return the iPad to having true 10 hour battery life again.

Some people also complained of certain intensive apps running worse on the third iPad. Again, that will all be fixed with this new chip. I'm also hoping it will be less warm, as that was another complaint I never liked about the third gen device.

Cheebo

Banned

Better camera's as well, better GPU in addition to the better CPU.

Some people also complained of certain intensive apps running worse on the third iPad. Again, that will all be fixed with this new chip. I'm also hoping it will be less warm, as that was another complaint I never liked about the third gen device.

Now that I think about it, the iPad 3 does get pretty hot very quickly.

I also noticed it eating through battery life when playing games. 10-15 minutes of Bastion seemed to drain 10% of the battery.

VoxPop

Nah it's the 16. I'm doing it mainly because our kid uses the iPad 2 at school and I want her to use the same apps at home.

Is it your first iOS device? I love my N7 and all due to its form factor but I'll probably be shying away since I just ordered a Mini. The iPad 2 is still a fantastic device minus the retina display of the 3/4. The child friendly apps and such are far superior on iOS as well. Also there's no fear of them getting malware on your N7.

DarkFlow

Banned
Is it your first iOS device? I love my N7 and all due to its form factor but I'll probably be shying away since I just ordered a Mini. The iPad 2 is still a fantastic device minus the retina display of the 3/4. The child friendly apps and such are far superior on iOS as well. Also there's no fear of them getting malware on your N7.
I had a 2nd gen touch, and I've used my share of macs. I really enjoy my N7 and have a galaxy nexus, but I just get tired of the lack of app parity between Android and iOS. One example is the DirecTV app, on iOS you can watch live TV with it, android I can barley look at a guide.

VoxPop

I had a 2nd gen touch, and I've used my share of macs. I really enjoy my N7 and have a galaxy nexus, but I just get tired of the lack of app parity between Android and iOS. One example is the DirecTV app, on iOS you can watch live TV with it, android I can barley look at a guide.

Yeah I used to use both of those devices as well. It's way too similar to be using both. I'd say get the iPad 2 along with your GNex and get the best of both worlds. The app selection and quality on iOS is far superior (especially gaming) compared to Android. Also the tablet optimized apps will be a whole lot better than any of the scaled up phone apps you can get on the Nexus 7. You wanting it for your kids benefit is another reason too.

I walked into a best buy the day the iPad 3 came out and got it without an issue, I can only assume it will be even easier for the iPad 4

I did the same thing, when Apple pushed my iPad 3 32GB pre-order back and I'd do it again for the new one. But because it took them 3 weeks to transfer my money from the pre-order back, they gave me 70 bucks store credit, so I pre-ordered this one online again. iPad 4 16 GB for 429. Yay!

I'm certainly tempted to replace my iPad 2 with the 4th gen, but I'm also worried there could still be a revision next spring, as usual.

It's a tough call right now. We just have no idea if this fall release is going to set the new schedule for the iPad, or if this was just an anomaly and next Spring will resume their schedule as usual.

Cheebo

Banned
I'm certainly tempted to replace my iPad 2 with the 4th gen, but I'm also worried there could still be a revision next spring, as usual.

It's a tough call right now. We just have no idea if this fall release is going to set the new schedule for the iPad, or if this was just an anomaly and next Spring will resume their schedule as usual.

They JUST released the A6. There is no way they will have the A7 ready by spring, it seems highly impossible.

kinggroin

Banned
Buddy at BB just let me know that as soon as stock is done with the 3, I can bring my dented "new" iPad in for the 4 when its out.

Kinda glad I got that total protection plan waaay back when I bought the Xoom. Even more glad that it carried over to the iPad.

Top Bottom