• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Count me in among the Ontario crew

M7QHT.jpg

I don't even like iPads but I'm excited for my mom to get this. Hopefully she likes it!

What a bunch of black white drama. I own a black ipad1 and a white iPad 2 and I sort of prefer the white now. But either comes down to personal preference. There's nothing wrong with the frame because at the end of the day, the lit screen is what you'll be looking at.

People code on tablets? Using wireless keyboards, I hope?

Kind of interesting...

Oh yes they do. Two of my friends do it and say it works perfectly. I already have a decent dropxbox and/or I would be able to connect to my groups local drive to work on our website. I don't think I want a keyboard on my iPad fulltime, so I am now going to look for a foldable/wireless keyboard. Looking at the logitec one closely.

http://www.textasticapp.com/

Oh yes they do. Two of my friends do it and say it works perfectly. I already have a decent dropxbox and/or I would be able to connect to my groups local drive to work on our website. I don't think I want a keyboard on my iPad fulltime, so I am now going to look for a foldable/wireless keyboard. Looking at the logitec one closely.

Could you show a link? Curious how much they are. Thanks.

edit: I guess where it falters is that you can't execute your code, right? Do any tablets out there run plain linux?

Could you show a link? Curious how much they are. Thanks.

edit: I guess where it falters is that you can't execute your code, right? Do any tablets out there run plain linux?

The reason they can't is because apple explicitly forbids it in the TOS. A lot of apps get around this by compiling remotely and returning the results. It should work perfectly for me though as I am looking to delve into SQL, PHP, and javascript right now.

edit: logitech copy http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054L8MR8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Note, that any bluetooth keyboard should work fine.

I just want to take this opportunity to pimp Waterfield products, really fantastic stuff. Great build quality and the best customer service I've ever seen.

sfbags.com

I own these products from them and they are fantastic:

muzetto_laptop_green_lg.jpg
i considered that at some point, but $200 for a dedicated iPad/tablet bag just isn't something that makes sense to me just yet. idk.

PaulLFC

Shipped! UK, no tracking yet, hopefully will be when I wake up in the morning.

Edit: Shipping with Syncreon, never heard of them before, but according to their tracker it's in Leicestershire already!

Avixph

Has any one purchased an ipad/ ipad 2 from the Union Square Best Buy in downtown Manhattan? If so how bad do the lines get?

Blackhead

Redarse
Just ordered this bag after a tireless search. Looks amazing :)

Do you think a bluetooth keyboard could fit in there? That looks good though. I have this Cocoon Harlem:

8Pi9O.jpg

and was considering getting this HEX bag:

T7yu9.jpg

First-world problems :/

I just want to take this opportunity to pimp Waterfield products, really fantastic stuff. Great build quality and the best customer service I've ever seen.

sfbags.com

I own these products from them and they are fantastic:

muzetto_laptop_green_lg.jpg
Goddam leather kept leaving brown stains on my clothes despite rubbing it down several times. It got so annoying that I sold it.

Okay I am looking for a good programming app for the iPad. Friend recommended textastoc. Any other recommendations?
Koder?

Cheebo

Banned

It's New York and the new iPad has far more hype than 1 or 2 did. It will likely be a madhouse. If you don't preorder online expect to wait in a extremely long line overnight outside of an Apple store if you want one of these day one.

No. No. No. In daylight or well-lit rooms at night, black absolutely looks like those photos. In darkness, yes, the black levels are not brilliant, as it's IPS. But that doesn't mean that suddenly a white frame helps. The blacks levels are the same. The white frame doesn't 'fool the eye' into making blacks looks blacker, if anything it's slightly distracting.

At night the black levels will not be aboslutely black, yet the bezel will be. The darker the content, the more "gray" the screen will look with a black border. The white border will give it better perceived contrast in those situations. Perceived contrast is absolutely about fooling the eyes.

Avixph

My experience with Best Buys in NYC on iPad launch day were not good. Both iPad 1 and 2 launches had very limited quantities, selling out within an hour, at the Houston Street location.
What time do you suggest I get to the Union Square Best Buy (it's open 24hrs)?

It's New York and the new iPad has far more hype than 1 or 2 did. It will likely be a madhouse. If you don't preorder online expect to wait in a extremely long line overnight outside of an Apple store if you want one of these day one.
I didn't pre-order yet, and don't think I'm going to because right now the expected delivery date is march 19th. I can't wait at the Apple store for that long on the 16th, I have class on fridays.

ElyrionX

Any updates on RAM?

If the reasoning is that the new higher resolution display requires 1GB RAM, does that mean maybe even 1GB will not be enough? I got burned really bad on the iPad 1's 256MB RAM (tech reviewers are just as worthless as videogame reviewers since 95% of the reviews didn't talk about this) and fucking Safari is crashing every 15 mins of surfing. Considering the fact that 90% of the time I am using the iPad, it's for web surfing, it got really annoying very quickly. It's so bad that I'm thinking of ditching the iPad entirely for the ASUS TF Prime tablet.

numble

What time do you suggest I get to the Union Square Best Buy (it's open 24hrs)?

I didn't pre-order yet, and don't think I'm going to because right now the expected delivery date is march 19th. I can't wait at the Apple store for that long on the 16th, I have class on fridays.
I really don't suggest NYC Best Buys at all. There are 5 Apple Stores throughout NYC, and they will be full of stock.

MercuryLS

Banned
Any updates on RAM?

If the reasoning is that the new higher resolution display requires 1GB RAM, does that mean maybe even 1GB will not be enough? I got burned really bad on the iPad 1's 256MB RAM (tech reviewers are just as worthless as videogame reviewers since 95% of the reviews didn't talk about this) and fucking Safari is crashing every 15 mins of surfing. Considering the fact that 90% of the time I am using the iPad, it's for web surfing, it got really annoying very quickly. It's so bad that I'm thinking of ditching the iPad entirely for the ASUS TF Prime tablet.

This worries me too. I get the feeling that the new iPad is like the iPad 1, where the SOC just isn't going to cut it over time and will get much worse with each iOS update. I already read one hands-on where the person mentioned that he noticed some stutters already, that's not a good sign. The best thing about iPad 2 was that the SOC was overkill, which was great because it meant that the experience was always smooth. I'm betting that iPad 4 with A6 will really be able to drive the retina display the way it's mean to be (just like how the A5 smoothed out the iPad experience in relation to A4 in iPad 1).

By the way, the new iPad supposedly has 1gb of ram.

SolidPain

Neo Member
Shipped! UK, no tracking yet, hopefully will be when I wake up in the morning.

Edit: Shipping with Syncreon, never heard of them before, but according to their tracker it's in Leicestershire already!

Yes mine is Shipped too!! Still no tracking though.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Starting to have second thoughts about getting the 16gig model. I was at my friends house today playing with Garageband and was reeling all day about how much fucking fun it was. Then I started to feel like 16gigs might be kinda small if I actually start using lots of music making apps... not really sure what to do. If I get the 32gig model I won't really have enough money to get it this week so I'll have to wait a week. Which in the grand scheme of things isn't a big deal.. but damn I don't want to wait.

Still interested in hearing from people with an iPad, iPhone, and laptop.

Is the iPad really additive?

I want to believe, but my wallet is hurting...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thats the only thing holding me back from getting the new one....i enjoyed using my ipad 1 but after the update to iOS5, it has just become a dog. its slow and Safari just crashes randomly. Its not even 2 years old yet! I am still deciding if i want to take a chance with another apple product......

it'll be fine. Ipad 1 was a bit limited in grunt and suffered quite quickly with the update to ios 5. From recent reports, 5.1 helps a lot with ipad 1.

ipad 3/new ipad will be fine with ios 5/6, and I'll just be a little more careful about mindlessly updating the software after the hardware is a couple of years old

if you have an ipad 1 right now, the jump to ipad 3 will be fantastic (at least I'm expecting that). The speed of the ipad 2 nearly got me to jump, so to have that *and* retina... yum.

edit: Got a shipped notice for the UK, so not everyone is getting delayed - phew. Mine is coming via UPS, so time to check out where their local distribution hub is, just in case

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any updates on RAM?

4x res will need a bit more ram, but not 4x the system ram. someone else can do the math but if its 1GB, it should provide a decent increase in working space as well as enough for the increased resolution.

Was also considering a transformer but android on tablets still feels not quite there. I'll give it another year - the amount I'll lose selling the ipad 3 will be tiny compared to the use I'll get out of it.

Nitsuj23

Yeah. The 3.5" iPhone screen makes it incomparable to an iPad/laptop. As a student, it's nice not to have to move my expensive MacBook from my desk. I use my iPad in class (sometimes more than I should) and especially at home. It's much more comfortable to have an iPad on the couch than a laptop. Apps are evolving too. I like using some apps more than websites now. Plus this screen will be amazing. And best of all, once you buy one iPad you can upgrade every year for around $200 by reselling. It's an investment, you'll never have to pay this much for one again.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

there were a couple of posts, including one from me about this. I don't have an iphone, but I have an ipod touch which sits idle now, and a windows phone, so I have access to the internet whenever I want etc.

ipad really is additive, but its difficult to quantify without just buying one and trying it - I'd really recommend jumping in - you'll be able to resell within the first few weeks without losing hardly any money I'd expect, so its almost risk free.

Mix the screen size of a laptop in terms of comfort of reading complex web pages without zooming etc, with the immediacy and easy of browsing on an iphone - touching the screen to scroll is very natural, instantly available, huge range of apps etc. It honestly is so much more than just a large iphone

I will say that for me, the amount that its additive can vary based on your laptop. I've had three since my ipad 1

- MBP. After getting the ipad, I stopped using the MBP for anythign other than very heavy browsing with multiple tabs open simulatneously, or dedicated tasks. The ipad was just so easy to reach out and grab from the coffee table, so quick to get on the internet (like a smartphone).

- MBA. things changed slightly when I got my MBA. the battery lasted longer, it was lighter and thinner, so it started being left more in reach of the sofa for longer. Combined with the faster start up time, and the updated touchpad scrolling with Lion, I did start to use the laptop more for day to day stuff.

- Acer laptop. However, I sold the MBA as I couldn't really justify it as a glorified web browsing device (I have a mac mini for proper tasks) so now I have a generic windows 7 laptop. and now I'm really looking forward to the ipad 3 as the laptop is big, takes a while to wake up from sleep and doesn't last that long on battery.

So I'd say if you have anything other than a recent MBA, the ipad will definitely be additive.

4x res will need a bit more ram, but not 4x the system ram. someone else can do the math but if its 1GB, it should provide a decent increase in working space as well as enough for the increased resolution.

I'm not very knowledgeable on this type of stuff but am I right in thinking a 2X jump in resolution does not need a 2X bump in graphical processing power or RAM?

And does the resolution increase affect how powerful the CPU needs to be?
Seems like the actual software itself is exactly the same as on iPad 2

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not very knowledgeable on this type of stuff but am I right in thinking a 2X jump in resolution does not need a 2X bump in graphical processing power or RAM?

And does the resolution increase affect how powerful the CPU needs to be?
Seems like the actual software itself is exactly the same as on iPad 2

its a 4x jump in resolution - from 1024x768 to 2048x1536.

Power needed depends on what you do. You'll need 4x the fillrate from your GPU just to draw the pixels, but that shouldn't be a problem, the ipad 2 GPU was overkill, and the ipad 3 is 2x that.

CPU needs will vary. In theory, if you're not trying to draw more polygons etc, then you're just calculating the same stuff, so the main burden is on the GPU - apple definitely did the right thing in bumping that

mrklaw

MrArseFace
At night the black levels will not be aboslutely black, yet the bezel will be. The darker the content, the more "gray" the screen will look with a black border. The white border will give it better perceived contrast in those situations. Perceived contrast is absolutely about fooling the eyes.

seems to me that we need an e-bezel which can change colour based on what you are doing

I owned a white iPad for a couple of months. Perceived contrast can go to hell.

I ordered two accidentally, decided to keep both preorders. They are both shipped, but under tracking, one of them is being sent by TNT, and the other by 'Syncreon Parcel Delivery'. (UK)

Hmmm. An unfortunate waste of energy (but so is the iPad itself, so let's not get into that)... will be interesting to see who's faster though.

Nevasleep

I ordered two accidentally, decided to keep both preorders. They are both shipped, but under tracking, one of them is being sent by TNT, and the other by 'Syncreon Parcel Delivery'. (UK)

Hmmm. An unfortunate waste of energy (but so is the iPad itself, so let's not get into that)... will be interesting to see who's faster though.

Syncreon is a middleman, it'll be delivered by TNT, UKMail, or UPS.
Here is their tracking site...it would seem.

SeanR1221

Convo I had yesterday.

"Have you seen the new iPad?"

"Meh!"

"...ok. You know the screen has 4x the pixels, that's pretty impressive."

"Oh I know but...meh! The only thing it will benefit is gaming."

"..."

I ordered on Thursday but not until the evening. When I checked in the morning it told me that it would be shipped/delivered by 16-18 March. But an hour later, when I actually went to purchase one, it changed to 2-3 weeks: 3rd April. FML.

Still, my first iPad. I'm looking forward to it. I bought the 16GB one. Still have the option to cancel. Not sure whether to drop an extra £80 and go for 32GB. I have a 32GB iPhone 4 which has all my music and I'm not keen on having music on the iPad so I'm trying to think whether anything else would take up more than 16GBs worth of space.

Top Bottom