• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I received my shipped email yesterday morning, but when I go to track my package, FedEx claims not to have a record of that tracking number. Is this the same with everyone else?

I received my shipped email yesterday morning, but when I go to track my package FedEx claims not to have a record of that tracking number. Is this the same with everyone else?

Same here.

Did you order a smart cover, too? Mine is in Memphis, TN right now. I'm just wondering if the iPad is sitting somewhere here in the US while the smart cover gets shipped to where it is before final delivery. I don't know.

123rl

What are the chances of receiving it early? I'm in the UK and my Syncreon tracker shows my iPad is already in the UK

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Shipped but do I care? No. It's going to get here on Friday regardless.

Same here.

Did you order a smart cover, too? Mine is in Memphis, TN right now. I'm just wondering if the iPad is sitting somewhere here in the US while the smart cover gets shipped to where it is before final delivery. I don't know.

No. I still have my old smart cover from the iPad 2. Anyways, my guess, is that they're probably sitting somewhere in the US currently, like you said, and they don't want people to get upset that they can't get them earlier.

I have no idea if that's actually true, though.

PaulLFC

What are the chances of receiving it early? I'm in the UK and my Syncreon tracker shows my iPad is already in the UK
Mine does too, it's in the midlands somewhere at the moment. Does your Syncreon page show your postcode though? Mine doesn't, even though my order page on the Apple Store does. Don't know if that's something to be concerned about or just the way they display the page.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: Keyboards, I don't really recommend them.

Can it help you type much faster when writing documents? Yes, absolutely.

Here's the problem; the OS has very few hooks for keyboards, so virtually everything other than typing text that you do with a keyboard won't work here. You're in the browser and want to use the keyboard to navigate? Not gonna happen, brother. I can't think of a ton of examples right now, but when I used a Zaggmate with my iPad 1 I was shocked at how poor the keyboard experience was.

There's also the problem of having to type and then raise your hands to the screen to touch and then put them back down to type. It's very distracting and breaks up your flow. Apple themselves have said something to that effect when they talked about their reservations for touch-screen monitors when they were introducing the extended touchpad gestures for Lion--you don't want to constantly be switching your mechanical focus from the "bottom" of the computing device (keyboard) to the "top" (monitor or iPad).

So unless you're buying a keyboard to use with multiple different things and the iPad is just one of them, or unless your company is paying for it, I don't recommend using your own money to buy an iPad keyboard.

vehn

Apple site says it will ship by March 19th... Should I even try to pre-order now to try and get one by next Friday?

And a few more clicks in it says it will deliver by March 23rd...

Avixph

I really don't suggest NYC Best Buys at all. There are 5 Apple Stores throughout NYC, and they will be full of stock.
The thing is my school is just a couple of blocks away from the Best Buy location, and I wanted to go before my class begins on Friday.
How far away is an Apple store from Baruch College?

Zeth

Fuck it, I think I'm going to queue for this. Silly as it is, I kind of enjoy the occasional ridiculous late night / early morning Apple experience.

I'm seriously considering this as well, even though I have one on the way now. As my hype builds going into next week, I'm going to want to just get to the store super early and be home with it by noon. I've done it for the last two (3 including 3G first gen) and it's been relatively painless. First world problems yay.

numble

The thing is my school is just a couple of blocks away from the Best Buy location, and I wanted to go before my class begins on Friday.

There is one on Prince St and Greene, near Broadway and Houston. Also one by Chelsea Market I think.

Best Buy will have shorter lines but also greater chance of waiting and getting nothing. I waited in line for an hour at the Houston St. Best Buy and came up empty last year. I also was there for the first iPad but their shipment didn't make it on time and they handed out IOUs to the first 20 or so in line.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Come on, don't you know how to search for these simple things yourself?

Blackhead

Redarse
RE: Keyboards, I don't really recommend them.

Can it help you type much faster when writing documents? Yes, absolutely.

Here's the problem; the OS has very few hooks for keyboards, so virtually everything other than typing text that you do with a keyboard won't work here. You're in the browser and want to use the keyboard to navigate? Not gonna happen, brother. I can't think of a ton of examples right now, but when I used a Zaggmate with my iPad 1 I was shocked at how poor the keyboard experience was.

There's also the problem of having to type and then raise your hands to the screen to touch and then put them back down to type. It's very distracting and breaks up your flow. Apple themselves have said something to that effect when they talked about their reservations for touch-screen monitors when they were introducing the extended touchpad gestures for Lion--you don't want to constantly be switching your mechanical focus from the "bottom" of the computing device (keyboard) to the "top" (monitor or iPad).

So unless you're buying a keyboard to use with multiple different things and the iPad is just one of them, or unless your company is paying for it, I don't recommend using your own money to buy an iPad keyboard.

Don't you think a keyboard, particularly a versatile bluetooth keyboard, is worth it just for typing on the iPad? I'm sure a lot more people will want to type on the iPad given it's the best display by a huge margin available on any mobile device right now—at least until Apple releases the retina display macbooks in the summer...

I agree with you about using the keyboard with multiple different things; I wouldn't recommend anybody get one of the dedicated iPad keyboard cases. Get an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and a WINGStand ($15) instead:

tyf6e.jpg

Slightly offtopic:
What do you think about the TouchFire?

peetfeet

Total noob here, to any apple product, with a couple of questions.

My daughter (who lives with her mum) has an iPod, she reckons she can't connect it to my laptop and that only her one at home can? Something to do with iTunes.

If i make a sub to iMatch can I link her iPod to my iMatch for her to also have access to my songs when she's here and at home without any fallout of some kind?

Cheers guys

Zeth

Ordering that Wingstand now, thanks for posting. I have an Apple BT keyboard and don't mind using it with just a smart cover but this thing looks great and is super portable.

PaulLFC

For anyone who ordered an iPad 2 or iPhone and had it delivered by Syncreon, how were they? Usually stuff here gets delivered by DPD or HDNL - DPD are awesome, HDNL were awful.

SeanR1221

Don't you think a keyboard, particularly a versatile bluetooth keyboard, is worth it just for typing on the iPad? I'm sure a lot more people will want to type on the iPad given it's the best display by a huge margin available on any mobile device right now—at least until Apple releases the retina display macbooks in the summer...

I agree with you about using the keyboard with multiple different things; I wouldn't recommend anybody get one of the dedicated iPad keyboard cases. Get an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and a WINGStand ($15) instead:

tyf6e.jpg

Slightly offtopic:

Definitely getting this. Thanks!

Tobor

I've never had a need for a Bluetooth keyboard, but I'm apparently one of the few who has no trouble typing long documents with the onscreen keyboard.

Propping the iPad up with the smart cover is all I need.

EDIT: I will say, that Wingstand looks great. I might pick one up as a spare stand since it works with the iPhone as well.

Getting my smart cover today but my iPad still hasn't shipped. The status has been preparing for shipment since yesterday morning. I am not too worried about it since I am sure it will get to me by Friday.

Total noob here, to any apple product, with a couple of questions.

My daughter (who lives with her mum) has an iPod, she reckons she can't connect it to my laptop and that only her one at home can? Something to do with iTunes.

If i make a sub to iMatch can I link her iPod to my iMatch for her to also have access to my songs when she's here and at home without any fallout of some kind?

Cheers guys

Dunno why you'd post it in this thread, but she's right. You can only link your iDevice to one iTunes machine. If you link it to a second it has to blow away all of the data it got from the first machine. So linking to both computers is out of the question.

kaskade

tyf6e.jpg

Slightly offtopic:

That is awesome. I was thinking about using the iPad as a second screen when writing papers. Either my macbook for typing and the iPad for websites/documents or the other way around (already have the bluetooth keyboard). Too bad the iPad screen is probably going to make my macbooks look not so nice.

Spacebar

Same here, but I live in PA.

I just checked the tracking and it says my ipad is actually in Middletown PA right now! I guess they're having Fed Ex hold it until release. If somehow they could just screw up and ship it out early. That would be awesome, but probably not gonna happen though.

Zeth

I don't think the status really matters at this point. I wouldn't think about it too much until later in the week if it hasn't changed. I'd say 99% of people with march 16th delivery will be happy on Friday.

HoTHiTTeR

Those of you ordering smart covers and needing other accessories should check out best buys open box items. Picked up a green smart cover for $19 practically brand new last might. They had a cream leather one half off too. I got the camera connection kit half off during the post Xmas return season as well. It's ymmv on the stores markdown policy, but look in the 'computers and Tablets' section Online before you go to the store. Usually they will hold merchandise if u call in as well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global/Deals-Near-Me/pcmcat254400050000.c?id=pcmcat254400050000

So the hold came off my debit card, but the devices is still "preparing for shipment". I assume the hold coming off means shipping is imminent and I'll be charged for real shortly?

x-Lundz-x

So,

Did anyone in here buy this to upgrade from a Kindle Fire like myself? Don't get my wrong, I love my Kindle, but the lack of apps and being tied to only Amazon just was not enough for me. Plus the video streaming on the Kindle is just horrid, even after all the software updates. I thought it would be enough of a tablet for me, but it's just not doing the job. I realize I can root my Fire, but I am not a fan of doing that, because I usually break it. Can't wait to get this in my hands on Friday, and sell my Fire to a co-worker who just wants a reading device.

Mine finally went to a shipped status but doesn't matter, no one here is getting it before Friday anyway :).

So the hold came off my debit card, but the devices is still "preparing for shipment". I assume the hold coming off means shipping is imminent and I'll be charged for real shortly?
When I purchased mine, I had two charges on my card. One for full price, and one for a 1.00 dollar hold I guess. The 1.00 dollar hold went away after mine shipped yesterday.

Cromat

I have a question: It seems that the netbook category of small, relatively weak 10" Windows notebooks is essentially dead and the attention of both consumers and tech companies has drastically moved to tablets.

But why?

As much as I love the iPad (I don't own one but I know many people that do and it is a very enjoyable product), it doesn't have nearly as much functionality as even a relatively old netbook.

The cheapest iPad costs $500, and that's for a really subpar 16GB of storage without the option of expanding.
On the other hand, Windows netbook that cost $300 come with 250GB of storage. You can download stuff like music and movies directly to them without relying on a PC. You can create and edit Office documents and use it as an actual work tool. You can use millions of PC programs. You can use USB devices and peripherals. You can connect them to a TV or monitor without additional accessories. I would say it has a keyboard, but netbook keyboards are so terrible that typing on the screen isn't necessarily worse.

Sure it isn't as enjoyable user experience as the iPad, but it's fully featured. So how did this category suddenly go extinct?

reKon

Banned
I have a question: It seems that the netbook category of small, relatively weak 10" Windows notebooks is essentially dead and the attention of both consumers and tech companies has drastically moved to tablets.

But why?

As much as I love the iPad (I don't own one but I know many people that do and it is a very enjoyable product), it doesn't have nearly as much functionality as even a relatively old netbook.

The cheapest iPad costs $500, and that's for a really subpar 16GB of storage without the option of expanding.
On the other hand, Windows netbook that cost $300 come with 250GB of storage. You can download stuff like music and movies directly to them without relying on a PC. You can create and edit Office documents and use it as an actual work tool. You can use millions of PC programs. You can use USB devices and peripherals. You can connect them to a TV or monitor without additional accessories. I would say it has a keyboard, but netbook keyboards are so terrible that typing on the screen isn't necessarily worse.

Sure it isn't as enjoyable user experience as the iPad, but it's fully featured. So how did this category suddenly go extinct?

Because it's an Apple product and people want something even more portable than a laptop that has an OS people are familiar with and love. They are paying for additional screen real estate for better media consumption so screw productivity in terms of word processing and other related things.

giga

But why?

You nailed it right there. Windows Mobile was far more full featured too.

Gowans

Is the keynote available for download now? I need to stream this to my tv to watch and give the Mrs the last sales pitch before I get to order.

Talon

Steve Jobs nailed it. The only thing netbooks did better was that they were cheap.

The screens sucked and were tiny. The trackpads were tiny. They were slow. They had trouble streaming HD video until the later ones.

Top Bottom