• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

3N16MA

Banned
I'm not sure I understand the way these data plans work. There's 1GB, 3GB, and 5GB plans... but aren't these extremely low? Wouldn't the average user who watches shows on netflix and games go through this in a couple days? Surely I'm missing something here... perhaps they calculate the data differently?

I have 6GB on my iPhone 4 and it's way more than enough. I'm on wifi most of the time (home/on campus). Think about the times you will be without wifi access and using your iPad for data heavy usage.

Talon

It just seems so low, though. And so pricey for it. That said, I have a feeling that I don't go through as much data as I think I do.
Yes, wireless data is pricey in the states, but it's priced similarly to your phone's data plans.

That said, at least you can get data on a single month basis with these plans instead of being stuck on a contract.

It just seems so low, though. And so pricey for it. That said, I have a feeling that I don't go through as much data as I think I do.

My company provides free wifi. Considering I am at work most of the day or at home, I would not need an egregious data plan. I'm considering tethered plan and using my iPhone 5 as a hotspot later this year.

therapist

If i have a 4g plan on my phone , and i can tether for free , does that also mean i can just buy another sim ,slap it in the ipad and use the same plan or MUST i use the tether?

Anyone aware ? im with telus.

I suppose i could always just tether but id rather not have to waste my phone batt all the time doing that.

Thanks!

Right, because you'll just be able to walk in? You'd most likely need to wait in line, which isn't fun at all. But to each his own. I think this thread is testament enough that there are plenty of people who enjoy refreshing the tracking status, hoping to see a change of location as to where their iPad is. Either way, you're coming in here trying to spoil the enjoyment some of us are getting out of that, and it isn't going to work. Nope.

Who's enjoyment am I spoiling? You seem to be completely confused. I have no problem with people spending the whole day refreshing shipment status every 5 seconds. It's their prerogative. But what doesn't make sense is when they do that then constantly post and bitch about it, in a seemingly very upset manner, the status not being what they like. That doesn't sound like 'enjoyment' to me. It sounds like sadism. I'm saying people shoudl chill the fuck out if the status isn't updating as fast they'd like, cause there's absolutely nothing that can be done about it.

TUSR

Banned
If i have a 4g plan on my phone , and i can tether for free , does that also mean i can just buy another sim ,slap it in the ipad and use the same plan or MUST i use the tether?

I suppose i could always just tether but id rather not have to waste my phone batt all the time doing that.

Thanks!

Telus want you to add the device to your account and charge you money to share the data between the two.

NYR

When will I be able to just buy one from the store?
March 16th.

Unless you are talking about just walking in and getting one easy...then maybe Late April, May?

Apple seems to have their shit together this go around. A full day of pre orders look like will be filled, so it's possible supply will be there.

Cheebo

Banned
March 16th.

Unless you are talking about just walking in and getting one easy...then maybe Late April, May?

Apple seems to have their shit together this go around. A full day of pre orders look like will be filled, so it's possible supply will be there.

Based on iPad 2 it won't be well into summer till you can walk in and get one.

Rengoku

Thanks!

You can only use 1 sim per plan. If u want a sim in the ipad, you need another data plan. If your phone plan lets you tether, you can tether thru wifi or bluetooth. I prefer tethering via bluetooth myself, less power hungry.

Flo_Evans

aX1In.jpg

dang it!

Give it to me monday fedexx guy!!!!!!

What if everyone else gets theirs and I don't get mine?! I'm going to have to read about everyone opening up their shiny new toys and I'm going to be home all alone with tears streaming down my cheeks and slash marks up and down my arms (high enough so they're covered by a t-shirt, however).

iPad release day isn't just some other day. It's the best day. It's the day of all days. I'm going to open up that gorgeous white box and just snuggle with it for awhile before I turn it on.

I may even require a little personal time to "relieve some stress" before I can gather myself to actually use it. If you know what I mean.

Please don't tell me how to live my life. For every Apple fan out there, this is like receiving a little piece of Steve Jobs in the mail, and for us it's special. I'm speaking for ALL Apple fans. Don't let them downplay my comments. In our special #AppleIsTheShiz IRC room we hold cyber-hands and sit around the cyber-fire and sing cyber-songs of joy and play sweet games like telephone.

I don't know why I'm telling you all of this...

Look, I'm the biggest Apple fan I know and there's no company in the world I love more, ignoring your tongue-in-cheek tone. I'm not criticizing the excitement, nor am I telling you how to live your life. I'm giving helpful advice to people and reassuring them they will get their iPad, and it will ship. No point in stressing over something you have no control over. If people are pretending to be stressed but are actually sincerely enjoying it, then I apologize. As for me, I find something special about getting one physically from an Apple Store, so that's what I'm going to do. I'm always looking for an excuse to go there yet rarely have one.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm sure this has been asked and I apologize, but my order shipped. Can I anticipate a 16th delivery like it says? I need to schedule a day off work for when it arrives.

Shipped. Should be here Friday. Sucks because I'm leaving for Spring Break the day after and don't want to bring it along just in case something happens :(

I'll never understand why Apple chooses to advertise only the white iPad and used it exclusively in their keynote and website. I think most (key word most) people agree that the black looks much better and sleeker.

mrkgoo

Yes, wireless data is pricey in the states, but it's priced similarly to your phone's data plans.

That said, at least you can get data on a single month basis with these plans instead of being stuck on a contract.
I always get a little irked when people talk about low amounts and pricey in the US.

Check out my iPhone data, 100MB per month and $1 per MB casual rate!

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
IDK chicks seem to dig the white. I told my wife I was getting the new iPad and she goes "oh yeah! I want the white one." I said to bad it is not for you!

What did I say, man?! WHITE!!!

Presco

Im surprised the number of people that own smart phones who are getting the 3G/LTE iPads. I've always only ever gotten the wifi versions because my iPhone is ALWAYS on me. On trips I just tether my iPad to it. Is there a reason you guys don't do the same?

I'm in Canada and I have an iPhone locked to Rogers. I'm buying a 3G iPad solely for the ability to use 3G when I travel to the US or Europe, as I do several times a year for conferences / work.

For reference, the Rogers international data travel packs are as follows:

$50 for 10MB (yes, MB)
$100 for 25MB
$225 for 75MB

I'll never use the 3G on the iPad in Canada, I'll tether to my iPhone and affordable 6GB plan. But I'd be crazy not to get the unlocked 3G iPad at those international prices.

e_i

Two questions:

I just got the HDMI adapter. What exactly is that other slot for?

What is the file size limit for putting videos on the iPad? Can I put a 7 GB 1080p movie on it?

Hoo-doo

Banned
IDK chicks seem to dig the white. I told my wife I was getting the new iPad and she goes "oh yeah! I want the white one." I said to bad it is not for you!

Almost my entire class uses iPads, and honestly, the women all have white units.
You might be on to something here.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I just got the HDMI adapter. What exactly is that other slot

Power, so you can charge at the same time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They would have iPad 2 cases that would help me narrow down my choices while waiting for "New" iPad cases to come out.

I'm planning to do this. Maybe buy the smart cover, and scope out some silicon rear covers, then wait for my preferred one to release a 'new ipad' compatible one.

Top Bottom