• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Temptation got the better of me and I ordered one the other night. Never had an iPad before, but I own a Fire. I honestly have no clue what I'll even use my Fire for now.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Temptation got the better of me and I ordered one the other night. Never had an iPad before, but I own a Fire. I honestly have no clue what I'll even use my Fire for now.

Give it to a family member. You won't use it for anything unless you have invested heavily in Amazon media.

I am seriously going to miss the whole experience of standing in line and talking to other Apple fans, but I think I'd rather know that I'm getting one for sure by pre-ordering it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I am seriously going to miss the whole experience of standing in line and talking to other Apple fans, but I think I'd rather know that I'm getting one for sure by pre-ordering it.

If you really want to do that, go stand in line and get yours then return or sell the one you get in the mail.

MercuryLS

Banned
It's funny to read all the posts of people with Fire's buying the new iPad. the Fire was too good to be true, I wonder how many people that bought it last holiday are still using it regularly.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's funny to read all the posts of people with Fire's buying the new iPad. the Fire was too good to be true, I wonder how many people that bought it last holiday are still using it regularly.

Hopefully they become more competitive with further revisions.

I have one - never use it. I was more curious than anything. I'll probably just CL it soon.

PPI was better on Fire than iPad, but no more.

Zeth

Yeah the Fire just gathers dust now. I thought it might be good for better portability at first, but I'll take the massive app catalog over the smaller device any day. Turns out there's not much room for redundancy in the tablet world for me.

This is the first big Apple retail release in a long time that I'll be missing out on. That's always one of the best parts, as lame as it sounds. At least I'm pretty sure I'll get it on time, considering it's supposedly already in my state at a FedEx facility.

Sean

Banned
It's interesting to see how many people seem to be ditching their Kindle Fire's already, the product is only like four months old. Perhaps these 'cheap tablets' will end up being a sort of gateway drug to the iPad.

Enco

It's interesting to see how many people seem to be ditching their Kindle Fire's already, the product is only like four months old. Perhaps these 'cheap tablets' will end up being a sort of gateway drug to the iPad.

Considering how disappointing it was, it's not surprising.

RE: Keyboards, I don't really recommend them.

So unless you're buying a keyboard to use with multiple different things and the iPad is just one of them, or unless your company is paying for it, I don't recommend using your own money to buy an iPad keyboard.

I've tried keyboards with the iPad and I agree. Buy typing on the thing is still one of the hardest things to do on it and I hate it. It stops it from being a monstrous productivity device or me.

Just got my shipping notice too! Oddly I got two tracking numbers - each iPad shipping separately?

bought a Fire for my wife last november. she loved it. but asked "where are all the games and stuff?". while reading a book one day in december i surprised her with an ipad 2. she put the fire down, downloaded the kindle app and didnt look back. the next day she already had a buyer for her Fire. seems like it is a gateway device. those who have it and say they dont want an ipad are either in denial of the ipads greatness(appstore and performance), hate apple, or they cant afford one.

Doubt it. Amazon's tablet will continue to sell incredible numbers as long as Prime-content is still exclusive to them and as long as their price is still undercutting Apple by so much. Contrary to what Jobs desperately wanted to believe, there is a hunger for tablets at the 7 inch size range.

But on topic, my 32 gig iPad is being readied for shipment. Thank god for online pre-ordering because there's no way in hell I'll ever wait in a line for another piece of hardware ever again.

The Lamp

I'm really considering getting an iPad as a student. Right now I have a little netbook to take notes with but I see people using iPads and capacitive pens to take notes in class and they use educational apps. It looks so useful. Any comments on how useful an iPad is from a student's perspective? And what's the best capacitive pen I can get?

I'm really considering getting an iPad as a student. Right now I have a little netbook to take notes with but I see people using iPads and capacitive pens to take notes in class and they use educational apps. It looks so useful. Any comments on how useful an iPad is from a student's perspective? And what's the best capacitive pen I can get?
http://www.evernote.com/peek/

Amazing app for students. Watch demo video.

I wish I had that when I used to go to college :(

KtSlime

Doubt it. Amazon's tablet will continue to sell incredible numbers as long as Prime-content is still exclusive to them and as long as their price is still undercutting Apple by so much. Contrary to what Jobs desperately wanted to believe, there is a hunger for tablets at the 7 inch size range.

But on topic, my 32 gig iPad is being readied for shipment. Thank god for online pre-ordering because there's no way in hell I'll ever wait in a line for another piece of hardware ever again.

You mean, what he wanted you to think. There is little doubt in my mind that they didn't take a sub 9.7 inch iPad into mind when creating the UI. The 1024x768 can be scaled down to a 7.85 inch screen and get elements - buttons, icons, text, etc that are the same size as they are on the 3.5 inch iPhone/iPod Touch.

My guess is that a 7.85 inch model is in the future, but probably still 2 or 3 years off - subject to change due to competition.

MercuryLS

Banned
Ok, I finally decided to get the Black 32gb + 4G for myself. I hope I made the right decision, I just hope Apps don't become huge in the future, that would make me regret not getting the 64gb version. 4G should be nice with a flex plan, it'll be nice to always be connected to the internet with 4G on the iPad :D

Where is that hunger showing itself?

cvxfreak

My order for a white 16GB Wi-Fi on the Japan Apple Store still hasn't begun shipping, but will be delivered on the 16th.

I suppose since Japan is much closer to China than the U.S. is, the shipments will prepare later this week.

Sean

Banned

I don't think the price difference is quite that drastic anymore now that the iPad 2 is sticking around for $100 cheaper (and if you count refurbished models, an additional $100 off that).

The Kindle Fire still is cheaper obviously, but the price gap has closed somewhat.

nyong

Banned
Anyone know if the shipping status even changes from "processing" if you opt for in-store pickup? Still shows Mar.16 as the delivery date...

That's exactly what's happening, and Apple has mentioned this several times. Oh, and independent stats back it up. Many people want an iPad, see something cheaper and think 'oh this must be pretty similar', buy it, and a few months later say 'fuck this shit' and end up geting an iPad.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Anyone know if the shipping status even changes from "processing" if you opt for in-store pickup? Still shows Mar.16 as the delivery date...

Nope. It will go from Processing to Ready for Pickup.

Edit: I sold my 16gb wifi Ipad 2 for $300 and felt good about it. I could probably have gotten $325 if I took more time, but with refurbs with warranties going for $350 from Apple, anything more than $325 is only going to happen if you find an idiot.

x-Lundz-x

Are smart covers worth the money?

To me no, but then again this is my first iPad and so I really don't have any first hand knowledge. However, a cover that does not cover the entire unit for 40+ dollars is asking too much money. I want my device in pristine condition when I eBay it in two years so I opted for a slim case from Targus for 50 dollars. Same magnetic functionality as the smart cover and will keep my unit free of any kind of scratches.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The difference in a pristine iPad for resale and one with a few, slight wear and tear scratches on the back will be $50 max. To me, that's not worth buying a $30-$50 case or plastic backing or whatever.

I grabbed a Smart Case because I like the functionality of it and the feel of a naked iPad otherwise. I don't care too much about scratches. It's not worth the resale difference. People are just deluding themselves if their main reason is resale value.

PaulLFC

Don't you think a keyboard, particularly a versatile bluetooth keyboard, is worth it just for typing on the iPad? I'm sure a lot more people will want to type on the iPad given it's the best display by a huge margin available on any mobile device right now—at least until Apple releases the retina display macbooks in the summer...

I agree with you about using the keyboard with multiple different things; I wouldn't recommend anybody get one of the dedicated iPad keyboard cases. Get an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and a WINGStand ($15) instead:

tyf6e.jpg

Slightly offtopic:
What do you think about the TouchFire?
That looks really good. Will it work with any other bluetooth keyboards, or just the official Apple one?

Dartastic

I can't wait for my iPad 3. SO EXCITED AUGHHH.

Do you guys have any app recommendations for like, music and stuff? I should start looking.

MercuryLS

Banned
The difference in a pristine iPad for resale and one with a few, slight wear and tear scratches on the back will be $50 max. To me, that's not worth buying a $30-$50 case or plastic backing or whatever.

I grabbed a Smart Case because I like the functionality of it and the feel of a naked iPad otherwise. I don't care too much about scratches. It's not worth the resale difference. People are just deluding themselves if their main reason is resale value.

Agree 100%, you spend all that money on a product with beautiful design and materials and you cover it up in some cheap plastic case. Never understood it.

Smart cover is all I need, I've got a protected sleeve for when I go on a trip with my iPad. But for day-to-day use, the cover is enough. A few minor scratches isn't a big deal, hell if you're really careful you may never get any scratches on your iPad (I didn't with my old one).

My order just changed to Preparing for Shipment. Yay!

I at last found a case that I think will suit my needs with this one. Anyone have experience with the iPad2 version?

MercuryLS

Banned
I have a question, will the Canadian 4G iPad work with Rogers, Bell and Telus? Or is there incompatibility like the states (At&T version and a Verizon version).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I have a question, will the Canadian 4G iPad work with Rogers, Bell and Telus? Or is there incompatibility like the states (At&T version and a Verizon version).

All 3 use the 2100 MHz band iirc (as well as 1700, which isn't compatible with the iPad)

And depending on the 700 MHz auction, we may have more companies to use LTE (hopefully mobilicity and wind)

All 3 would work under the Americanized "4G" bullshit terminology as well, just in case you still have a 3G sim card from the old iPad

dojokun

Banned
I find myself thinking that Apple should have continued with numerical naming for the iPad (and iPhone).

iPads and iPhones are products where people conceivably upgrade after only one year, given advancements in wireless technology. Macs and iPods are not usually upgraded after only one year.

Thus, it would have made sense that Macs and iPods keep the simple naming convention they already have, whereas iPads and iPhones would have a new number every year.

Oxn

Never owned an idevice before so have a few questions.

Is there a mirror mode? So i can output to my TV?

Do i have to use itunes for music and movies? ( i hate itunes, i love drag and drops).

Is 16 gigs really enough? I dont have much desire to put music on an ipad but i do for movies. One of the main reasons really, and surfing the net on my bed.

Enco

Never owned an idevice before so have a few questions.

Is there a mirror mode? So i can output to my TV?

Do i have to use itunes for music and movies? ( i hate itunes, i love drag and drops).

Is 16 gigs really enough? I dont have much desire to put music on an ipad but i do for movies. One of the main reasons really, and surfing the net on my bed.
Yes. With Apple TV.

I think there are alternatives like Spotify or some sort of streaming app. Not 100% sure.

Probably not enough, no. Remember the OS and pre installed apps will leave you with around 13 GB.

LCfiner

Yes. With Apple TV.

I think there are alternatives like Spotify or some sort of streaming app. Not 100% sure.

Probably not enough, no. Remember the OS and pre installed apps will leave you with around 13 GB.

expanding a little on the first two points for Oxn

if you get an an HDMI cable adapter from Apple, you don’t need to get the Apple TV.

for putting music from your computer onto the ipad, you would need to use iTunes once. but reliance on iTunes is much less than before. so it’s possible to enable iTunes match for 25 dollars and have all that music in iTunes available on the ipad with no USB sync.

Top Bottom