• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Oxn

Yes. With Apple TV.

I think there are alternatives like Spotify or some sort of streaming app. Not 100% sure.

Probably not enough, no. Remember the OS and pre installed apps will leave you with around 13 GB.

ughhh then i really have to reconsider then.

32gig ipad with case, hdmi adapter and tax is really adding up.............

Cheebo

Banned
I find myself thinking that Apple should have continued with numerical naming for the iPad (and iPhone).

iPads and iPhones are products where people conceivably upgrade after only one year, given advancements in wireless technology. Macs and iPods are not usually upgraded after only one year.

Thus, it would have made sense that Macs and iPods keep the simple naming convention they already have, whereas iPads and iPhones would have a new number every year.

It was that way. But they clearly don't see it that way now, the product has matured enough. They are basically showcasing iPad updates like Mac ones. The same product with yearly revisions rather than an entire brand new sequel product of sorts.

And it makes sense I don't expect radical changes to iPad any time soon (lolololol haptic nonsense aside). Form factor is perfected, screen is locked in a for a while. Likely just spec tweaks next year. No reason to continue changing names.

tokkun

I find myself thinking that Apple should have continued with numerical naming for the iPad (and iPhone).

iPads and iPhones are products where people conceivably upgrade after only one year, given advancements in wireless technology. Macs and iPods are not usually upgraded after only one year.

Thus, it would have made sense that Macs and iPods keep the simple naming convention they already have, whereas iPads and iPhones would have a new number every year.

I'm sure the reason they changed the numbering scheme was to lower consumer expectations for future revisions. People don't expect the 2012 Honda Civic to be significantly different from the 2011.

I preferred the old numbering though. It was simple and straightforward. When you used a search engine to look for "ipad 2" on ebay or Craigslist, you were being clear about which model you were talking about.

nyong

Banned
Thinking of picking up an Ipad 2 on the "cheap" now. Will I be missing much in the new Ipad?

Yes. I'm fairly certain they're calling it the "new" iPad because it's a total reboot. Retina is the future for that device...the $100 difference will pay for itself in not having to re-purchase many apps.

You'd regret it.

Nope. It will go from Processing to Ready for Pickup.

Edit: I sold my 16gb wifi Ipad 2 for $300 and felt good about it. I could probably have gotten $325 if I took more time, but with refurbs with warranties going for $350 from Apple, anything more than $325 is only going to happen if you find an idiot.

Amazon would have given you 320 as a trade-in for it, and you could get another 30-40 if you sold it as Used on Amazon.

Thinking of picking up an Ipad 2 on the "cheap" now. Will I be missing much in the new Ipad?

An incredible screen, a better camera on the back (yawn), maybe (it hasn't been confirmed) a bump in ram. And you won't cry a little on the inside every time a new update arrives for one of your apps to take advantage of the retina screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
consider resale value too. If you think you'll be selling it in a year or two for an ipad 4/5, then the ipad 3 will hold its resale value better

Blackhead

Redarse
ughhh then i really have to reconsider then.

32gig ipad with case, hdmi adapter and tax is really adding up.............

.... and you haven't even started buying apps or paying for services and content yet. The iPad is an expensive habit.

If you're new to the iOS ecosystem, I suggest that you budget at least $50 for apps too. Apple's iWork ($30) and iLife ($15) could use that up on the first day... There are free alternatives here and there, and not all the best apps cost money (e.g. Flipboard, Twitter, Facebook), but get ready to empty your wallet.

Don't you think a keyboard, particularly a versatile bluetooth keyboard, is worth it just for typing on the iPad? I'm sure a lot more people will want to type on the iPad given it's the best display by a huge margin available on any mobile device right now—at least until Apple releases the retina display macbooks in the summer...

I agree with you about using the keyboard with multiple different things; I wouldn't recommend anybody get one of the dedicated iPad keyboard cases. Get an Apple Bluetooth keyboard and a WINGStand ($15) instead:

tyf6e.jpg

Slightly offtopic:
What do you think about the TouchFire?

Bought. I was looking for a simple stand. This will do well.

Dartastic

Finally seeing footage of Infinity Blade Dungeons. I'm buying that SO hard.

...although I really wish Blizzard would put Diablo 3 on the iPad. It's totally feasible.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so this video - link - points out my main concerns with the smart cover. Great if you're using it on a table, but can't hold itself in place behind the ipad when in use. Also it looks like it has sharp edges which can mark furniture.

anyone agree/disagree with this?

Slightly offtopic:
What do you think about the TouchFire?

just pre-ordered one of these as well. Looks quite brilliant, and the reviews are as strong as you can ask for.

so this video ink points out my main concerns with the smart cover. Great if you're using it on a table, but can't hold itself in place behind the ipad when in use. Also it looks like it has sharp edges which can mark furniture.

dunno, but I'll have mine in a few days. as with any peripheral, you can simply return it to your local Apple Store if it's not meeting your expectations. I for damn sure will return it and get a different cover if it's not getting the job done for me.

so this video ink points out my main concerns with the smart cover. Great if you're using it on a table, but can't hold itself in place behind the ipad when in use. Also it looks like it has sharp edges which can mark furniture.

I just take it off, that's why magnets work so well.

consider resale value too. If you think you'll be selling it in a year or two for an ipad 4/5, then the ipad 3 will hold its resale value better

This thought process still blows my mind. My first gen iPad (64 3G) still holds up just as well. It still doesn't even seem time to upgrade from that little device, I can't imagine selling the third gen revision in just a year or two.

FreeMufasa

This thought process still blows my mind. My first gen iPad (64 3G) still holds up just as well. It still doesn't even seem time to upgrade from that little device, I can't imagine selling the third gen revision in just a year or two.

Very early but this had me thinking.

What sort of things can we expect from iPad 4 next year? I remember last year when iPad 2 released, a lot of people could see what they'd add with the 3.

so this video - link - points out my main concerns with the smart cover. Great if you're using it on a table, but can't hold itself in place behind the ipad when in use. Also it looks like it has sharp edges which can mark furniture.

That is surely a joke video? Or is the guy simply insane?

LCfiner

for a lot of people, a first gen ipad like what you have will still be OK.

But a lot of other people, it’s not. Might come down to something like a FaceTime camera or (in my case) support for more ambitious media apps like iMovie, iPhoto, etc.

edit:

Very early but this had me thinking.

What sort of things can we expect from iPad 4 next year? I remember last year when iPad 2 released, a lot of people could see what they'd add with the 3.

the easy one is a faster CPU.

beyond that, it gets tougher. maybe they can reduce weight. but if they do it, what do they change? make the back material something lighter? make the front glass thinner? make the battery smaller?

making it thinner seems like something they’ll try to do again. might be easier than making it lighter.

the screen may have better colour and black levels incoming years but the resolution bump some of us wanted isn’t going to get bumped again so that’s set for a long time.

beyond that you need to think about more esoteric stuff like that haptic feedback for simulating surface texture. that seems like an interesting demo feature. not sure if it’s a great long term thing.

Alex

Mine shipped now too, no issues. My wifes, however, has hit a wall of billing incompetence from Apple I've never seen before from any company, it's been non-stop issues, 3-4 hangups thus far, and even the bank is baffled at them and the shit they're doing.

Outsanity

Anybody from the UK thinking of jumping ship from iPad 1 to the New iPad? I've got a 32gb 3G which I'm looking to get rid of, the new iPad is calling out to me. I'm thinking the Carphone Warehouse trade-in for about £150 for ease is a good shout, not sure I can get a much better price on ebay, unless anybody knows of any better places to sell?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Anybody from the UK thinking of jumping ship from iPad 1 to the New iPad? I've got a 32gb 3G which I'm looking to get rid of, the new iPad is calling out to me. I'm thinking the Carphone Warehouse trade-in for about £150 for ease is a good shout, not sure I can get a much better price on ebay, unless anybody knows of any better places to sell?
Not sure how the market there compares to aus, maybe values are lower, but my 16gb Wifi is on eBay with a few hours to go and it's up to $218 (about 146 pounds). So you could always try your luck there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I was, but I sold mine about 6 weeks ago. Knew it'd be painful to wait, but wanted to get a good price. 32GB wifi sold for £250. With the price drop of the ipad 2, I still think you'd want more like £200 for a 32GB 3G. You could try chucking it up on AV Forums for a few days, see what nibbles you get?

Has anybody come across a decent hands-on video with this thing so far? All the videos I've seen have been grainy and under 3 minutes. CNET, The Verge and Engadget all had short-as-hell clips. I'm hoping to find a bit of a meatier walkthrough (just to look at the speed and how the screen looks).

Zeth

That video is insane. I think it's a brilliant design in general and haven't had any problems with it besides the odd "dust line", where certain parts of the screen become cleaner than others. I guess if you're super nit-picky, the things in that video could bother you, but I imagine they're non-issues for most.

Blackhead

Redarse
Has anybody come across a decent hands-on video with this thing so far? All the videos I've seen have been grainy and under 3 minutes. CNET, The Verge and Engadget all had short-as-hell clips. I'm hoping to find a bit of a meatier walkthrough (just to look at the speed and how the screen looks).

Proper reviews will probably come out on Wednesday or Thursday.

Zeth

The thought of not upgrading kind of blows my mind. It's so simple, and the cost is so low in the scheme of things, that it's very difficult to resist especially if you're an adamant fan of the technology. I've upgraded from each iPad now and each one has been 100% worth every penny. I can't imagine myself sticking with the original at this point. Didn't iOS 5 introduce serious performance issues?

is the screen size/camera/button placement the "exact" same for the new? i want to go get some screen protectors before they become scarce in my area.

Not a great hands-on video, but shows you what you can expect from the dictation. iPhone Retina vs iPad Retina

iPad 2 vs new iPad

And one more

is the screen size/camera/button placement the "exact" same for the new? i want to go get some screen protectors before they become scarce in my area.

Casecrown isn't altering their case at all, so yeah everything is in the same spot.

Phreaker

I said this of my 3GS until I got a 4s. Retina was the absolute must have for me, now to make a final decision!

Yeah when I had my iPhone 4 and then got the OG iPad I was kind of like, damn this would look awesome with my iPhone 4 display, now it's here. I upgraded, can't wait for Friday!

cvxfreak

Decided to cancel my 16GB White Wi-Fi in favor of a 32GB White 4G+Wi-Fi. In Japan, SoftBank offers 3G/4G iPads with subsidies in exchange for a 2 year contract. Might as well get double the capacity with internet anywhere (in the Tokyo area, that is).

Still sounds probable that I'll be getting mine on launch day; if not, soon after.

Cheebo

Banned
for a lot of people, a first gen ipad like what you have will still be OK.

But a lot of other people, it’s not. Might come down to something like a FaceTime camera or (in my case) support for more ambitious media apps like iMovie, iPhoto, etc.

edit:

the easy one is a faster CPU.

beyond that, it gets tougher. maybe they can reduce weight. but if they do it, what do they change? make the back material something lighter? make the front glass thinner? make the battery smaller?

making it thinner seems like something they’ll try to do again. might be easier than making it lighter.

the screen may have better colour and black levels incoming years but the resolution bump some of us wanted isn’t going to get bumped again so that’s set for a long time.

beyond that you need to think about more esoteric stuff like that haptic feedback for simulating surface texture. that seems like an interesting demo feature. not sure if it’s a great long term thing.
This is a big reason why I think iPad dropped the number. In all honesty while there is a lot they technical can do (haptic, drastically new form factor, etc) but there really isn't much that you can reasonably expect going forward.

I expect iPad 4 to have:
- Quad-Core A6 CPU
- Likely another boost to the camera (8 MP this time?)
- Slightly thinner casing maybe, likely back to iPad 2 level or maybe a bit less than that. But nothing hugely noticeable.
- Possibly more RAM but not something I'll really expect

And...that is about it. If they were keeping the naming conventions it would be more of an S sort of revision. I mean there is no need to mess with anything huge like the form factor or screen. They got that perfected for the next few years.

Cheebo

Banned
well... there's also the front facing camera

um... yeah. who knows what the heck they can do now :s
The iPad line itself is pretty much solid and has the features it needs. Yearly spec upgrades will of course be nice and expected. But radical changes? There is nothing out there that Apple "must" do and is something to reasonably expect.

Apple seems to realize this too, the changing of the name with the revision being hidden away in parenthesis ala iPod's and Mac's signals this product line is going to mirror those now. Yearly spec refreshes but the overall product remains the same.

iPad 2 was a huge leap over iPad 1, the third revision was a huge leap over iPad 2. iPad is due for a more muted S style upgrade next year.

Cheebo

Banned
iPad has a major advantage much like the iPod has. You don't need one.

It sounds odd but it's true. In todays society you NEED a cell phone, and for most you need a smart phone. The fact its a necessity gives a ton of room for other more low end options since as a consumer you have to buy something. You have no choice but to have something.

The fact tablets, like mp3 players are a luxury item leads those who are going to buy one to be more likely to aim for the best or what they perceive is their best choice.

Yes. I'm fairly certain they're calling it the "new" iPad because it's a total reboot. Retina is the future for that device...the $100 difference will pay for itself in not having to re-purchase many apps.

You'd regret it.
I've read its not quite as responsive and zippy as the Ipad 2 due to the resolution bump

This is a big reason why I think iPad dropped the number. In all honesty while there is a lot they technical can do (haptic, drastically new form factor, etc) but there really isn't much that you can reasonably expect going forward.

I expect iPad 4 to have:
- Quad-Core A6 CPU
- Likely another boost to the camera (8 MP this time?)
- Slightly thinner casing maybe, likely back to iPad 2 level or maybe a bit less than that. But nothing hugely noticeable.
- Possibly more RAM but not something I'll really expect

And...that is about it. If they were keeping the naming conventions it would be more of an S sort of revision. I mean there is no need to mess with anything huge like the form factor or screen. They got that perfected for the next few years.

The iPad line itself is pretty much solid and has the features it needs. Yearly spec upgrades will of course be nice and expected. But radical changes? There is nothing out there that Apple "must" do and is something to reasonably expect.

Apple seems to realize this too, the changing of the name with the revision being hidden away in parenthesis ala iPod's and Mac's signals this product line is going to mirror those now. Yearly spec refreshes but the overall product remains the same.

iPad 2 was a huge leap over iPad 1, the third revision was a huge leap over iPad 2. iPad is due for a more muted S style upgrade next year.

Agree on all points. Next year, Apple will bring the CPU bump and camera upgrades to the iSight and Facetime cameras (HD) as well as reducing the weight and thinness. Honestly, I'd imagine Apple will really focus on reducing the battery size and working really hard on the engineering side of things to optimize power consumption. This was one of the biggest leaps we'll see in terms of the retina display. Now that the screen resolution is set for the long haul, it's all about speed, power consumption reduction, and engineering the garbage out of the battery tech. Also, I honestly don't see Apple going with different screen sizes.

As for the name, I'm really glad Apple dumped the identifiers. People get caught up too much in that (see the 4S as an example and the rumors of iPad HD or iPad 3) and I supposed they want to bring the focus back to the product brand itself. That's why I could see how Apple gets rid of the numeric identifier on iPhone as well.

Blackhead

Redarse
Interesting article...a bit fanboyish, but can't really take issue with the main points. This may very well be the iPod all over again.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...y_parallels_its_unbeatable_ipod_success_.html

What nonsense. Giving a price cut to last year's model is not the iPod strategy. Apple has multiple iPod lines that cover different niches. Until Apple releases a 7" iPad and a convertible tablet such comparisons to the iPod trajectory will be without merit.

Cheebo

Banned
That's why I could see how Apple gets rid of the numeric identifier on iPhone as well.

It's interesting, Macrumors after the press event said two weeks prior to the event they were told by a trusted source that the next iPhone would drop the number and just be called iPhone.

Top Bottom