• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Enco

Apple could have gone to 128GB and raised the base model to 32GB. They simply knew they didn't have to in order to sell them. It sucks, but that's what they do. Can't make the current iPad too compelling or suckers (like me) will not buy one next year.
Don't really see what they can put in the next one.

Change the design? Add more HDD space?

That's all I can think of. There's not much more that can be done/is needed in the speed department and the screen can't really look any better.

Tobor

I wonder how the in store pickup is going to work. They've charged my card, will I still have to wait in a line? Can I bypass the dirty peasants and go right in?

16 GB does seem a little low now but if you only play a few big games at a time its alright, after buying a 32GB touch after owning an 8GB one I can't really go back to a lower storage space now.

SuperPac

Apple could have gone to 128GB and raised the base model to 32GB. They simply knew they didn't have to in order to sell them. It sucks, but that's what they do. Can't make the current iPad too compelling or suckers (like me) will not buy one next year.

I don't think they're worried about selling you one every year. From what the sales suggest, far more first-time customers come through the door with the release of a new model than people upgrading. IMO, none of their decisions are to hold back features so they have something for next time - it's more about hitting the features they think the majority of the market wants at the prices they've already established the market will accept widely. Is any competing tablet manufacturer offering a 128 GB tablet to cover the market you think apple is leaving on the table?

So how possible will it be to swap out an iPad at the Apple store during the grace period? I'm thinking that within a week or so I will know whether or not 32GB will be enough for me, but I can't imagine there will be anything less than massive shortages for a while.

That's all I can think of. There's not much more that can be done/is needed in the speed department and the screen can't really look any better.

Inductive charging would make me buy a 2013 iPad day one. Still can't believe there are no reasonably priced options for current models.

tokkun

I don't think they're worried about selling you one every year. From what the sales suggest, far more first-time customers come through the door with the release of a new model than people upgrading. IMO, none of their decisions are to hold back features so they have something for next time - it's more about hitting the features they think the majority of the market wants at the prices they've already established the market will accept widely. Is any competing tablet manufacturer offering a 128 GB tablet to cover the market you think apple is leaving on the table?

I think his point was more about Apple offering 32GB at the $500 pricepoint. Given that the high res display will likely cause the size of apps to explode, that probably would have been a prudent idea. They increased the size of the battery to account for the new display, but did not adjust the internal storage.

ido

16gb will be fine for me despite the increase of app size. I use my iPhone for damn near everything and I have 10gb free on a 16gb phone.

I generally believe that those of us who are going to be more focused on web browsing and streaming will have no issue with 16gb. I have never had an app-heavy apple device, as I typically just purchase only a few really solid apps that suit my needs. I hate picking up an iPhone that has multiple pages of apps installed on it.

Tobor

I think his point was more about Apple offering 32GB at the $500 pricepoint. Given that the high res display will likely cause the size of apps to explode, that probably would have been a prudent idea. They increased the size of the battery to account for the new display, but did not adjust the internal storage.

How many apps does the average 16GB iPad owner buy? I have no idea, but I'm sure Apple does.

16GB is way too small for me, I'll max out whatever they offer. My Dad could get by with 16GB, even with the new file sizes.

Spacebar

I'm glad I picked up 32gb black (best color) wifi model. I knew the new display would cause the app sizes to be bigger. I'm also kinda of surprised Apple not making 32gb the base model.

123rl

Inductive charging would make me buy a 2013 iPad day one. Still can't believe there are no reasonably priced options for current models.

I don't understand the appeal of inductive charging. You can't use your iPad as normal while it's laying down on a surface...you can still use it if it's plugged into the wall or your computer.

Tobor

I don't understand the appeal of inductive charging. You can't use your iPad as normal while it's laying down on a surface...you can still use it if it's plugged into the wall or your computer.

I don't get it either. Charging over the air would be awesome, laying the iPad on a dock instead of plugging it in doesn't really help me appreciably.

Wubby

Got my shipping notice tonight! Shipped via Kuroneko Yamato to be delivered on 16th.

Yeah I was hoping they would move up to 32/64/128 at the same price points as the current 16/32/64. But with the new screen/processor/ram they probably felt they've added enough for this update and bigger storage sizes will have to wait and be a selling point for next years update. With apps taking up even more room my new 64gb version will feel smaller than my current 64gb 2. A 16GB pad would suffice for the current low res device, but with the ballooning size of apps I wonder how tight they will feel a year from now. Probably would feel like my old 8GB iPhone 3G. That was a miserable experience the last year of its use.

I always get the 64 gb iPad because I like to look at seeing 25 gb of space free.

My iPad has been picked up in Nashville, TN. It has that stain of 'future delivery requested'

I wonder how hard it would be to talk FedEx into lifting that? I wouldn't berate the customer service rep. It would be more like sweet talk.

I'm glad I picked up 32gb black (best color) wifi model. I knew the new display would cause the app sizes to be bigger. I'm also kinda of surprised Apple not making 32gb the base model.

I'm ready for white as I want people to see that yes, it is an iPad and when you see the screen, you'll know it is the new one.

White is for bold and ostentatious. Black is for conservative, refined, and mixing with the other tablets.

MercuryLS

Banned
As the article points out, the real solution to this is to debundle assets made for each of the four resolutions from each other. Download in iTunes? Get everything. Sync from iTunes to device? Automatically strip incompatible assets when syncing. Sync from device to iTunes? iTunes automatically downloads the other assets. Download on device? Only get device-specific assets. Ta-da!

When you download a universal app, the device should just automatically strip out the code that isn't needed. So download -> Device removes code that isn't needed. That would work.

giga

Sooooo

What about that iPad Air? Does anyone think it will happen this year?

I have a old school iPad and am thinking of grading, but I really like the small form factor tablets, as reading is my primary activity.

Could we get a smaller version of the new IPad with the retina display and all the A5x goodness/LTE
I think that if they do put out a 7-8" model, it will either have to have a new resolution/form factor or use the iPhone's aspect ratio to run iPhone apps. The problem is that when they released the original iPad, they decided upon certain size of UI elements in regards to the physical display.

For example, Apple recommends that the minimum size of a UI element be 44x44 points, so that our fat fingers won't have trouble tapping it. (Non-retina: one point equals one pixel. Retina display: one point equals two pixels.)

mqx05.png

So imagine if they keep the same screen dimension in points for a 7" iPad at 1024x768 points. They run into this problem where apps designed for this display with 44 point elements become even more smaller and harder to tap. Jobs talked about this before in a conference call, but I don't think many people actually understood what he was really talking about. (maybe because he was so blunt about it, sandpaper and all)

http://www.macworld.com/article/154980/2010/10/jobs_transcript.html said:
One naturally thinks that a seven-inch screen would offer 70 percent of the benefits of a 10-inch screen. Unfortunately, this is far from the truth. The screen measurements are diagonal, so that a seven-inch screen is only 45 percent as large as iPad’s 10-inch screen. You heard me right: just 45 percent as large.

If you take an iPad and hold it upright in portrait view, and draw an imaginary horizontal line halfway down the screen, the screens on these seven-inch tablets are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the iPad’s display. This size isn’t sufficient to create great tablet apps, in our opinion.

While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper, so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one-quarter of their present size.

Apple has done extensive user testing on user interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touchscreen before users cannot reliably tap, flick or pinch them. This is one of the key reasons we think the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.

So I think that if they do decide to enter this 7" market, it will be a device that will look like a big iPod touch.

Original iPad: 132 ppi
960x640 at 7": 165 ppi
1920x1280 at 7": 329 ppi

Mr. Tone

Jesus, that PS3 versus iPad thread in gaming is a disaster.

I don't even know where to begin. I can't understand how so many people are antagonistic towards a piece of hardware, and are outright dismissive of any suggestion that someone could actually have a use for it.

Cheebo

Banned

That isn't a big concern to Apple. While the internet may make it seem like everyone upgrades when the new one comes out it isn't the case. I can't remember where I saw it but for example 4S launch day sales had the vast majority being brand new users.

Blackhead

Redarse
I don't even know where to begin. I can't understand how so many people are antagonistic towards a piece of hardware, and are outright dismissive of any suggestion that someone could actually have a use for it.

This could read either way for iPad detractors or PS3 detractors :p

entremet

it's filled with Jr's they need to make a good impression on the SDF for them to be initiated in to the 599 club.

I mean, I think I read a post on how someone believes an iPad's primarily purpose to pacify toddlers. lol. Hopefully it was trolling. And then another saying he sold it as a portable device. Portable media device? Really?

I can understand hating on Apple, tables, and iPads, but there was just so many clueless arguments.

numble

I think inductive charging requires a thicker case. You will also probably need to shell out some dollars at Apple's accessory prices to get one.

I think it's a slight gimmick. There are any number of docks that will charge the iPad if you just spend 1 second more to connect the dock connector.

Cheebo

Banned

The game industry is rapidly changing. And the so-called hardcore gamers feel threatened.

"Hardcore gamers" are more resistent to change than in technology anyone out there, even old people.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
for anyone like me who hasnt gotten any of the previous iPads at all yet, now is a great time to jump in and purchase this new iPad...if you own the iPad 1 or 2 tho, well, if you can sell it off and buy this one then it may be worth it. Not much of a difference between this new iPad and iPad 2 to justify an upgrade for most people though.

I want to get this new iPad, but I have the iPhone 4S and feel that it can pretty much do at least 70% of what the iPad can do, since its in the same iOS ecosystem. With the iPad you are just getting a bigger screen and the ability to run a few apps that are exclusive to it. Heck, the iPhone 4S has an 8MP camera and you would think that Apple would of given the new iPad the same, but its only 5MP. the new iPad doesnt even have Siri, which I honestly dont use much on my iPhone, but still...not to mention paying another bill monthly for data plans if you are buying the iPad with LTE.

go and buy this ipad. if you don't like it, just sell it for probably the same as it cost you a month later. But you'll love it. The increased screen size is so much more than just a larger screen, it enables more complex apps and makes browsing much more enjoyable - I find browsing on a smartphone a bit tiring, but fine when out and about.

Cheebo

Banned
How long till you guys think iPad revisions will slow down in advancement enough to where you won't want to sell your old one and upgrade each year? But stick it out and maybe use one for a few years like a laptop.

MercuryLS

Banned
How long till you guys think iPad revisions will slow down in advancement enough to where you won't want to sell your old one and upgrade each year? But stick it out and maybe use one for a few years like a laptop.

I'm sticking with the iPad 3 for a few years. Retina display was the biggie, I doubt they will upgrade the screen any time soon, so i'm good for a few years. Also, considering that I web browse on a tablet a lot, 1gig of ram should go a long way to making using an iPad 3 easier over the next few years.

I'm already there with the Macbook Pro.

I 'think' I won't upgrade over the 'new iPad' next year, but it's always tempting when the cost of the upgrade is selling your current iPad on ebay a month before the announcement and spending just 150 bucks or so to get the newest version.

3N16MA

Banned

Most likely a redesign and quad core A6 will be the big features.

Talon

Gapless screen would be very cool. There are like one or two phones that have that, and they look phenomenal. Gorilla Glass 2 will make the device even thinner next time around.

They have those "liquid metal" patents from 3-4 years ago that we haven't seen in a consumer product.

There's always room for innovation.

For me personally, get rid of the stupid home button and make the bezel smaller. But I'm sure Apple will milk Siri and make people think they're getting something special when they announce Siri on a future iPad.

As for this new iPad, I'm just really hoping that the Entertainment Weekly (my poop magazine) and Kindle(godly) apps get the retina treatment.

Jacobi

Banned
I'm sticking with the iPad 3 for a few years. Retina display was the biggie, I doubt they will upgrade the screen any time soon, so i'm good for a few years. Also, considering that I web browse on a tablet a lot, 1gig of ram should go a long way to making using an iPad 3 easier over the next few years.
Yep, me too. I don't know what they're are cooking up for the iPad 4, but with an iPad 3 I wouldn't desire a new version simply because it has a new design, or Siri, or a faster CPU or a 1 MP better camera...

LCfiner

Jesus, that PS3 versus iPad thread in gaming is a disaster.

I just checked out that thread now.

I try not to think this way but, man, there’s a lot of people in there with bad opinions, lol. Just slinging nonsense without having any idea what they’re talking about.

numble

There will be NFC and iWallet in the next iPhone and iPad and the next productivity software they introduce will be some finance/budget manager.

Spacebar

I'm ready for white as I want people to see that yes, it is an iPad and when you see the screen, you'll know it is the new one.

White is for bold and ostentatious. Black is for conservative, refined, and mixing with the other tablets.

LOL...I just threw that in there to jab you white ipad people. I think both look fine, but I prefer black. I do notice that mostly women have white iphones and ipads. This is just people that I know at work/friends.

Tobor

I just checked out that thread now.

I try not to think this way but, man, there’s a lot of people in there with bad opinions, lol. Just slinging nonsense without having any idea what they’re talking about.

I notice you resisted the urge to post in there. I folded. Lol.

123rl

I sold my OG iPad the day before the announcement and I actually miss it! It became such a fundamental part of my daily life since the first day I used it. when people say, what do you use an iPad for? What's the point etc, just let them use your one for a day or so and then take it away from them.

LCfiner

I notice you resisted the urge to post in there. I folded. Lol.

I thought about it but reconsidered. the points that I could make had already been made by a few other posters but it’s not a thread where those points are being considered by the ones making it a shitstorm.

Cheebo

Banned
I am trying but I am on the verge of giving up. The majority of that side of the board seem honestly confused why anyone would rather own a iPad than a Vita.

Talon

Y'all are really wasting your time caring about this.

They've made up their mind. In the grand scheme of things, somebody finding more value in one hunk of electronics over another is meaningless.

Top Bottom