• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Alex

I'd like a Vita, but I don't early adopt and it's future is sketchy. Plus, honestly, the last thing I need is more games. I have stacks of shit on PS3, PC, PSP, DS and Wii I've yet to even bother with.

Gotta clean house on some of this shit. Will sell 'em on eBay, using the iPad 3! Now that it's camera won't look like Nintendo DS CG movies. iPad 2 camera suckksss.

there is no denying that on a conceptual and OS level it feels entirely half-assed and me-too'ish... completely ignoring the quality of the games.

Half-assed? Because the OS for a handheld system isn't on par with iOS? Give me a break, I'm enjoy the vita interface for what it is right now and I expect Sony to greatly improve over Time future updates

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Man I hope they release it at the Apple stores in the morning. I am going after work and was hoping the big rush would be gone by the time I got there around seven.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
But the question is were you over 8 GB. If so thats a problem. Just assume app sizes will double(this is a worst case approach). You 16 GB troopers get a lot of respect from me. I don't think I could roll with a 16 GB iPhone or an iPad and I pretty big user of streaming and cloud services.
I was definitely over 8GB but with a bunch of apps I didn't want on there. Some light pruning would have taken me down below 8. I don't keep any media locally on the iPad.

Half-assed? Because the OS for a handheld system isn't on par with iOS? Give me a break, I'm enjoy the vita interface for what it is right now and I expect Sony to greatly improve over Time future updates

Yes, that's exactly why.... and in a big way, too.

Look, I am not saying it's a terrible device, it plays games better than any other handheld put together and squared... I am just disappointed with the OS. We cool bro?

To be fair, I did ask them if there was a gas leak.

It made my blood-pressure skyrocket.

How about we not turn this thread into the disaster that the other one is?

agreed. everyone should instead take a screen-cap of their current shipment status. someone should accidentally forget to blur their name and address. we should all send that person flowers to be delivered on the 16th of march so it will block their door and the iPad delivery can't take place.

Yes, that's exactly why.... and in a big way, too.

Look, I am not saying it's a terrible device, it plays games better than any other handheld put together and squared... I am just disappointed with the OS. We cool bro?

It made my blood-pressure skyrocket.

We coo bro, I agree it needs to get better, I'm sure it will with each update

Foob

pretty fucking excited to get this! can't wait to ditch my iPad 1

i read something on edgadget that said most iPad 2 accessories should still work with the new iPad, but I'm not sure if I should just wait until specific new iPad cases come..

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
agreed. everyone should instead take a screen-cap of their current shipment status. someone should accidentally forget to blur their name and address. we should all send that person flowers to be delivered on the 16th of march so it will block their door and the iPad delivery can't take place.
I am not saying the constant shipment updates and worrying is better, I am saying arguing over the vita versus the iPad is worse.

Anyway, can we get more opinions on how legacy apps looked at first on the iPhone 4 prior to a retina update? Was it really that crappy?

I am not saying the constant shipment updates and worrying is better, I am saying arguing over the vita versus the iPad is worse.

no, man. I swear to god, if someone even as much as accidentally posts their address I am sending them flowers to go with their iPad. Like, I am not joking.

Anyway, can we get more opinions on how legacy apps looked at first on the iPhone 4 prior to a retina update? Was it really that crappy?

it was bad, man. you think having 4 pixels equal 1 pixels it would be alright but...

just go to secondapps.com/neogaf on your 4/4S and look at the buttons.

My iPad just shipped! So happy its shipping from Ontario,CA instead of Nashville or China.
CapturFiles.jpg

youre in cali, your items are in cali and it will still take a business week for them to get to you? that sucks. i wonder if we'll be seeing any deliveries before the 16th?

Vyer

So, any bets on what minor issue will pop up after ipads start delivering that will get blown up on tech blogs and fanboy war threads, only to be basically forgotten about six months later?

I figure it's gonna be retina related somehow.

So, any bets on what minor issue will pop up after ipads start delivering that will get blown up on tech blogs and fanboy war threads, only to be basically forgotten about six months later?

If you hug it too tightly, wifi signal will drop to 1 bar.

They will dub it cuddlegate.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Space issues and how legacy apps look on the new screen are gimmes.

Rengoku

Probably dead pixels or something, I don't know what their quality control is going to be like on a screen with that much pixel density. If they'll even let you exchange your ipad with 1 or 2 dead pixels.

Put a reserve on a 64GB model at a local independent Apple retailer. I'm really looking forward to putting my 1st generation model in it's permanent home - my studio. I can then use it for reference photography with abandon and not have to worry so much about getting oil paint on it. :)

Agreed. 100% chance it will be a substantial amount of units afflicted with dead pixels

Zeth

What's up with the shipments being "picked up" in the US as the first tracking item? Mine and many others just appeared in Middleton PA. Are these just FedEx hubs from which they're being distributed?

MercuryLS

Banned
How noticeable will dead pixels be at this resolution?

Nowhere near as pronounced as iPad 1/2. Personally, I'm more worried about light bleeding. my iPad 2 at launch had some really really bad light bleeding. Apple's return/replacement policy is tops thankfully, but with the iPad 3 demand I doubt you'll be able to replace it for 1-2 months after launch (unless they have a certain amount of stock reserved for replacements).

numble

What's up with the shipments being "picked up" in the US as the first tracking item? Mine and many others just appeared in Middleton PA. Are these just FedEx hubs from which they're being distributed?

There were a ton sent to the US beforehand, according to those Chinese airport leaks.

What's up with the shipments being "picked up" in the US as the first tracking item? Mine and many others just appeared in Middleton PA. Are these just FedEx hubs they're being distributed from?

Maybe they've been in the country for a few weeks and these are the regional delivery hubs, thus no initial scan in China?

edit: well played, numble.

Nowhere near as pronounced as iPad 1/2. Personally, I'm more worried about light bleeding. my iPad 2 at launch had some really really bad light bleeding. Apple's return/replacement policy is tops thankfully, but with the iPad 3 demand I doubt you'll be able to replace it for 1-2 months after launch (unless they have a certain amount of stock reserved for replacements).
My primary concern too, which is why I decided to hold on to my accidental 2nd preorder. Two chances to get it right!

Zeth

Last year during light-bleed-gate quite a few people had success getting replacements from store who were "sold out" if I remember correctly.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Ughhh ship :(

ScreenShot2012-03-10at123640PM.png

One is a bday gift for my dad... I'm crazy, but not that crazy :p

It seems to be that FedEx doesn't start the tracking outside the US? Mine is shipping via UPS, which is why I think it started tracking in China.

Just a guess though.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The light bleeding on my 2 was pretty bad but it didn't really bother me. I only really noticed it at the beginning of movies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Your welcome for the topic on Gaming :)

I didn't get a shipping notice yet. Are you guys logging into your apple store account to see it or did you guys get an e-mail?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So now that it is confirmed that anybody who has not gotten shipping confirmation has to wait until the following monday for shipment, how long do you think the lines will be at Apple Stores?

MercuryLS

Banned
Last year during light-bleed-gate quite a few people had success getting replacements from store who were "sold out" if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I think Apple keeps a certain amount of stock aside for replacements. When I went to replace my iPad they had them in these plain light beige boxes. The only problem is that if light bleeding is an issue that affects the majority of launch iPad's (like it did with iPad 2), then you're probably going to be replacing your iPad with another one that has the same type of problem. Lets just hope it's not an issue with iPad 3, because if it is it might take months before something like this is completely sorted.

Top Bottom