• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

123rl

Vita = half-assed toy trying to be a legit entertainment machine
iPad = perfect entertainment machine that plays games

I sold my Vita to get my iPad 3 btw

Tobor

I'm debating selling my Vita, but I'd lose a ton of money. The prices on Craigslist are already really low.

I've finally learned my lesson on these dedicated gaming handhelds.

Cheebo

Banned
There are people in there seriously arguing Vita is better for Sony than something like iPad is for Apple since hardcore gamer users buy more software? And someone seems convinced iPad sells less than all the video game systems on the market.

It's like walking into a alternative dimension where the iPad isn't a product people actually want or buy.

123rl

I'm debating selling my Vita, but I'd lose a ton of money. The prices on Craigslist are already really low.

I've finally learned my lesson on these dedicated gaming handhelds.

I sold mine for about £15 profit :D I guess that's the benefit of having Game stores in the UK. They're stupid and they make bad decisions like giving more cash than I paid for a launch machine even though stock is absolutely fine in this country! The Vita is just a horrible machine to use. It crashed pretty seriously a few times and basically has to go into a kind of recovery mode to fix itself. That shit is unacceptable in this day and age

LCfiner

I’m still enjoying my vita. Gave me an excuse to play Rayman. And Lumines is still great.

But I made the mistake of trying out Uncharted and, yeah, watered down console ports with tacked on touchscreen functionality are not gonna make the vita a must-have device.

Wubby

I do kind of regret buying my Vita. I bought into the hype when it launched last Dec. At least it looks pretty sitting in it's dock on my desk. Needs to be dusted though. I'll hold onto it for the eventual Gran Turismo Vita game coming in 2016.

That said it's Monday here in Japan now. only 5 days till I have my new iPad.

Einbroch

Banned
How about we not shit on the Vita and instead talk about how awesome the iPad is?

I own a Vita and will own an iPad. I will game on both.

sfedai0

Banned
Own both too. I will not be gaming on my iPad, much like how I would not watch videos or surf the web on my Vita. Different functions for both.

123rl

How about we not shit on the Vita and instead talk about how awesome the iPad is?

Agreed. Sorry for taking it OT. Have any iPad apps been updated for Retina yet? I assume all of the bundled apps will be Retina out of the box?

LOL...I just threw that in there to jab you white ipad people. I think both look fine, but I prefer black. I do notice that mostly women have white iphones and ipads. This is just people that I know at work/friends.
Making me regret going with white. Quick, someone make me happy!

Agreed. Sorry for taking it OT. Have any iPad apps been updated for Retina yet? I assume all of the bundled apps will be Retina out of the box?

Not yet, and probably not going to happen, given devs were still hacking the simulator to simulate the screen even before the announcement.

JayDub

So after I allowed the initial hype wear down (personally), I have some thoughts:

As much as I want that new iPad, I dont think Im gonna jump on this one. I remember when Retina iPhone 4 came out, all my apps looked like crap. Took FOREVER for developers to update their games. Some STILL arent updated, and some of the most popular ones were just recently updated to retina (Plants vs Zombies). This is going to be a problem for games/apps developed by like, 2-3 people. And the fuzziness will look even worse on a 9.7-inch screen.

Since I already have an iPad 2, Im going to stick with it until the next iPad to skip the non-retina app awkward phase, wait for upgraded CPU, cameras and RAM on the next iteration. I can definitely see the amazing screen, but none of my apps are fuzzy, and although I can discern pixels, its not as ugly as looking at non-retina optimized apps on a retina screen.

Anyways, on an unrelated note:

-I wanted some insight on quad cores CPUs. I've heard that if Apple does transition to quad core CPUs, no apps would be able to take advantage of it. Obviously app developers would have to update/optimize their apps for quad core, but for apps not updated would it make them run slower?

-Anyone else thinks the back camera is completely useless? I have never used it, and holding one up to take pictures and videos is awkward. I'd love it if they'd just keep the front camera and improve it instead.

-I used to hate the thick bezel, but after using the ipad for a year, I dont think it would work without it. I have small hands, and my thumb fits the bezel PERFECTLY. And I use it to hold all the time. It makes reading boots easier, holding it up in portrait easier..etc. So for those screaming for a thinner bezel, I just dont see how it would work.

-Removal of home buttons: The home button has become an iconic iOS thing. Although gestures have made EVERYTHING better, I still use the home button from time to time. Its all a simpler concept to grasp. My 2 year old daughter instinctively presses it; gestures arent as obvious. Since a lot of elderly and young children use iPads, getting rid of the home button just makes everything more complicated, all for a thinner bezel, which wouldnt work anyways.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So after I allowed the initial hype wear down (personally), I have some thoughts:

As much as I want that new iPad, I dont think Im gonna jump on this one. I remember when Retina iPhone 4 came out, all my apps looked like crap. Took FOREVER for developers to update their games. Some STILL arent updated, and some of the most popular ones were just recently updated to retina (Plants vs Zombies). This is going to be a problem for games/apps developed by like, 2-3 people. And the fuzziness will look even worse on a 9.7-inch screen.

Since I already have an iPad 2, Im going to stick with it until the next iPad to skip the non-retina app awkward phase, wait for upgraded CPU, cameras and RAM on the next iteration. I can definitely see the amazing screen, but none of my apps are fuzzy, and although I can discern pixels, its not as ugly as looking at non-retina optimized apps on a retina screen.

Anyways, on an unrelated note:

-I wanted some insight on quad cores CPUs. I've heard that if Apple does transition to quad core CPUs, no apps would be able to take advantage of it. Obviously app developers would have to update/optimize their apps for quad core, but for apps not updated would it make them run slower?

-Anyone else thinks the back camera is completely useless? I have never used it, and holding one up to take pictures and videos is awkward. I'd love it if they'd just keep the front camera and improve it instead.

-I used to hate the thick bezel, but after using the ipad for a year, I dont think it would work without it. I have small hands, and my thumb fits the bezel PERFECTLY. And I use it to hold all the time. It makes reading boots easier, holding it up in portrait easier..etc. So for those screaming for a thinner bezel, I just dont see how it would work.

-Removal of home buttons: The home button has become an iconic iOS thing. Although gestures have made EVERYTHING better, I still use the home button from time to time. Its all a simpler concept to grasp. My 2 year old daughter instinctively presses it; gestures arent as obvious. Since a lot of elderly and young children use iPads, getting rid of the home button just makes everything more complicated, all for a thinner bezel, which wouldnt work anyways.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Retina display lets goooo!!!!!!

Edit:
Back on topic.
-For apps to use quad core cpus to their full potential you need something that can be paralellized 4 ways(4 threads of execution). I presume when they move to 4 cores they will lower the clock speed so things optimized for 2 cores will possibly take a performance hit.

-I had an iPad 1 . However, I think the back camera is useless

-I like the bezel

-Home button will not go anywhere any time soon.

It's not shitting on the Vita to point out how it's not the best value in the world. I love mine. Can't live without my Lumines, but at 350 dollars(wifi + 32gig) its a fucking terrible value when you then factor in 40 dollar games. Games that aren't really trying all that hard to be different than console games. I've never for a second considered getting rid of my Vita, but my 3DS is almost out the door. I'm finding that there's only so much room for so many screens in my life. Vita + HDTV + iPad + laptop appear to be enough for me.

Sigh, I hate you all. Thought I'd be happy with my 16gb wifi preorder but after reading that article and hearing all of you saying 32gb is the way to go. I now preordered the 32gb wifi as well.

So my 16gb wifi has shipped from nashville and will be here by the 16th but the 32gb wifi is expected to arrive the following Friday on the 23rd. Anyone know if I can return the 16gb to the apple store?

JayDub

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Retina display lets goooo!!!!!!

Validate me, dammit!

Sigh, I hate you all. Thought I'd be happy with my 16gb wifi preorder but after reading that article and hearing all of you saying 32gb is the way to go. I now preordered the 32gb wifi as well.

So my 16gb wifi has shipped from nashville and will be here by the 16th but the 32gb wifi is expected to arrive the following Friday on the 23rd. Anyone know if I can return the 16gb to the apple store?

Even with 32GB iPhone 4, it ran out of space. 1000-ish songs, no videos, all apps. Really, with increased asset size, and future proofing the device, I think 32-64GB is the way to go. More the better.

DJ88

Shit, I'm kind of regretting not going for the 32GB. Does anyone know if it'd be possible to take it to the Apple store on the 16th and be able to swap it for a 32GB? That would be the most painless and quickest option.

MThanded

Shit, I'm kind of regretting not going for the 32GB. Does anyone know if it'd be possible to take it to the Apple store on the 16th and be able to swap it for a 32GB? That would be the most painless and quickest option.

If you want to return an item, you can ship the item back to Apple, or bring it to any U.S. Apple Store for a full refund. For eligible Mac, iPad, iPod, and third-party products, you have up to 14 calendar days from the time you receive your item(s) to initiate a return.

Yes you can return it to the apple store. I would stick with the 32 GB. I dont think 16 is sufficient.

Alex

Spend 1200 dollars on Apple.com, no phone call from bank.

Spend 2.99 on Gamefly for a game download, PHONE CALL FROM BANK!

TKR92

I've taken lots of pictures with iPad 2 for instagram.
At least, it's not useless for me.

Of course, I don't have iPhone. :(

DJ88

Yes you can return it to the apple store. I would stick with the 32 GB. I dont think 16 is sufficient.

I know you can return it to the store, that's the easy part, but will they be able to swap it and give me a new 32 GB right there in the store?

Don't really see what they can put in the next one.

Change the design? Add more HDD space?

That's all I can think of. There's not much more that can be done/is needed in the speed department and the screen can't really look any better.

A much better FaceTime camera? The current one is garbage.

I'm not convinced a redesign of the exterior will happen - it's already pretty minimalist. But they definitely have targets for improvements. I'd say the big ones right now are:

128GB: They're in no rush now, but put up enough iPad retina content and they will feel the pressure in a year or two. There's no technical reason they can't do this now - the chips are ready. It's probably just a cost equation; it's too expensive to make 32GB the $499 model, and adding a 7/8th models (128GB Wifi and 128GB 4G) is probably too much of a strain on their line given all of the supply problems they will have for the next year.

Weight: This is a big one. The new battery (11000+mAh!) cost them most of the weight savings they had going from iPad 1-> iPad 2, and clearly they want something lighter. This won't happen unless they find some other battery tech innovations though, because obviously A6 is coming.

Depth: It's pretty close, but they had to grow very slightly this gen and I'm sure they want to scale it back a little bit. Not enough to jeopardize strength of the frame, but enough that maybe a flat/thin tablet back is feasible. Heavily battery dependent, again.

Lesser stuff like NFC and inductive charging may come, but the tech needs to be sorted out. I'm pretty sure Apple is in no hurry to pay big licensing fees on either. The charging market is quite fluid right now due to WiCC, in particular.

MercuryLS

Banned
Retina MacBooks!

The battery life on the Air's is already pretty sketchy, retina would demolish it. I wish Apple would go with a straight bottom design instead of tapered, they could fit a much larger battery that way.

I feel like all of these platforms are held back by battery tech, there needs to be a big breakthrough here. Apple has the best shot at that, the fact that they fit a battery with 70% more capacity in almost the same size shell as iPad 2 is pretty amazing. I really look forward to seeing the teardown.

Keeping my Vita as I love the games for it, just like I still have my 3DS. My iPad can coexist happily with both really.

Anyways, my iPad finally shipped out via FedEx. So happy. o(^▽^)o

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You don't need to multitask to take great advantage of multiple cores. Grand Central Dispatch and blocks are a fucking one-two punch for CPU-heavy and network-intensive applications.

I don't know... they could have easily deployed a quadcore this year if they wanted... the fact they went dualcore makes me think iOS benefits more from higher clocked dualcores than lower clocked quads.

But anyways I'm no expert.

My iPad still says delivery on the 16th, but is still being prepared for shipment. I'm not worried. Yet. What will make the wait easier is people/reviewers getting their hands on them early this week and posting videos/impressions. Do it.

Weight: This is a big one. The new battery (11000+mAh!) cost them most of the weight savings they had going from iPad 1-> iPad 2, and clearly they want something lighter. This won't happen unless they find some other battery tech innovations though, because obviously A6 is coming.
Ideally I'd like it to be about half the weight. Then it would start to become truly comfortable in one hand, like a Kindle.

And then there's haptic stuff. That's gotta make it in at some point.

Thinking further into the future, I guess it just needs to become more and more powerful so that professional creation software (not this iLife stuff, I mean stuff like Photoshop, Logic, Maya, etc) can start running on there in an optimised form... then this post-PC era can really get going.

Vyer

Jesus, that PS3 versus iPad thread in gaming is a disaster.

I see it got even shittier overnight. But it started off with a horrible, flawed question so it was to be expected.

Some gamers are so isolated the act of considering anything popular as a threat or insult to their hobby comes a little too naturally, but it's stupid. Meanwhile most people will use a tablet and still play a PS3 game when they want. Shocking!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Is there any way to have FedEx hold the package at the office instead of trying to deliver it? I won't be home and would rather not have to wait until the truck gets back in at like 8pm Friday. I emailed their support and they said since Apple does not require a signature that the package could be left at my door, but I live in an apartment, so that is not a good idea.

MercuryLS

Banned
You know, even with the lower PPI vs. the iPhone 4/4S, I really think that a retina-quality display at nearly 10" is going to be a game changer. It's easy to appreciate retina on a 3.5" screen, but one that is as big as an iPad is just going to blow minds. God the wait brutal.

Vita = half-assed toy trying to be a legit entertainment machine
iPad = perfect entertainment machine that plays games

I sold my Vita to get my iPad 3 btw

Vita is a half assed toy? You're not even trying to mask your brain dead trolling

Anyway, back to reality, just ordered and iPad 3, feelsgoodman.jpg

My iPad just shipped! So happy its shipping from Ontario,CA instead of Nashville or China.
CapturFiles.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I ordered a 16GB model and don't regret it at all. I never came close to the cap on my iPad 2, and that is with having a bunch of shitty apps on there I never used. I would rather deal with memory management than pay the ridiculous $100 premium for a measly 16GB of extra storage.

MThanded

I ordered a 16GB model and don't regret it at all. I never came close to the cap on my iPad 2, and that is with having a bunch of shitty apps on there I never used. I would rather deal with memory management than pay the ridiculous $100 premium for a measly 16GB of extra storage.

But the question is were you over 8 GB. If so thats a problem. Just assume app sizes will double(this is a worst case approach if we assume art assets double in size). You 16 GB troopers get a lot of respect from me. I don't think I could roll with a 16 GB iPhone or an iPad and I pretty big user of streaming and cloud services.

Top Bottom