• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I must have missed it, where was this confirmed?

The only thing "confirmed" was pushback for anybody ordering in the last couple of days. My order hasn't shipped and I ordered in the first hour on Wednesday. I expect some stuff just won't ship til a business day (tomorrow).

theskat

Banned
Is there any way to have FedEx hold the package at the office instead of trying to deliver it? I won't be home and would rather not have to wait until the truck gets back in at like 8pm Friday. I emailed their support and they said since Apple does not require a signature that the package could be left at my door, but I live in an apartment, so that is not a good idea.

Damn. FedEx won't hold the delivery at the FedEx location. Guess I'll just have to miss it then grab it late that night.

They should be able to do it with not a problem at all (trust me, I work for FedEx). Call the CS # ( 1-800-463-3339), give them the tracking information and specifically ask for the agent to change the package from Delivery to Hold. A customer service queue will automatically generate at your local FedEx station, where the driver should be informed that the package is to be held at the station before it goes out on road on the delivery date. This is not guaranteed that it will happen, though, but 99% of the time we drivers are more than grateful to have a package held at the station (less deliveries is less work :D

Also, FYI, even though a package has a release signature on it, most drivers wont leave the package outside the door if it is perceived to be an expensive item and/or in danger of being stolen.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
They should be able to do it with not a problem at all (trust me, I work for FedEx). Call the CS # ( 1-800-463-3339), give them the tracking information and specifically ask for the agent to change the package from Delivery to Hold. A customer service queue will automatically generate at your local FedEx station, where the driver should be informed that the package is to be held at the station before it goes out on road on the delivery date. This is not guaranteed that it will happen, though, but 99% of the time we drivers are more than grateful to have a package held at the station (less deliveries is less work :D

Also, FYI, even though a package has a release signature on it, most drivers wont leave the package outside the door if it is perceived to be an expensive item and/or in danger of being stolen.

Cool, thanks!

Mine shipped yesterday (UK). I have a tracking number (TNT are delivering, sigh) but it doesn't work at the moment. Just need a case now...

HoTHiTTeR

Apple requires the package to be attempted to be delivered at least once. So long as you haven't pre-signed, and no one signs for it at your home or office - you can pick it up at the delivering location.

Half-assed? Because the OS for a handheld system isn't on par with iOS? Give me a break, I'm enjoy the vita interface for what it is right now and I expect Sony to greatly improve over Time future updates

I wish Apple would lose the stupid Home button and adopt Sony's swipe-between-open apps method. The bubbles and stuff on Vita can suck it though. I also wouldnt mind having different wallpapers per page of apps on iOS. I love most of my Apple products, but iOS is really not that great. It's dead-simple enough to have mass appeal though.

I must have missed it, where was this confirmed?

Nope, you didn't miss anything. Apple still says anyone that ordered one when it said "arriving on March 16th" will be getting it March 16th.

Enco

I wish Apple would lose the stupid Home button and adopt Sony's swipe-between-open apps method. The bubbles and stuff on Vita can suck it though. I also wouldnt mind having different wallpapers per page of apps on iOS. I love most of my Apple products, but iOS is really not that great. It's dead-simple enough to have mass appeal though.
You can swipe between apps on the iPad using gestures.

edit: oh and removing the home button for that would be an atrocious move

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Nope, you didn't miss anything. Apple still says anyone that ordered one when it said "arriving on March 16th" will be getting it March 16th.

You can already do that. Five finger swipe between open apps in iPad

edit: beaten

MThanded

I don't think you realize how hard that actually is.

LOL

Oh, this is too rich.

Yeah, people with opinions contrary to my own upset me too...no wait, they don't. I'm not a fan of everything about iOS. I'm sorry that fact upsets you so much.

I don't think you realize how hard that actually is.

I'm well aware of how hard that is. It's actually harder to be both simple and powerful. To get what I want requires a jailbreak. No biggie.

vehn

Wil iPad 2 cases work with ipad 3? If so, anyone have any good recommendations for cases (ones that completely cover it)

LOL, what is this? Where did anyone say that?

Was a reference to your herpderp response of "Oh this is too rich" instead of actually posting something meaningful in response. I'm a big boy, I can handle people stating their opinion even if it doesn't match mine. It's a shame you couldn't be bothered to post anything like that. I love my Apple products, but they're incredibly far from perfect, and that includes the lackluster iOS (non-jailbroken).

Was a reference to your herpderp response of "Oh this is too rich" instead of actually posting something meaningful in response. I'm a big boy, I can handle people stating their opinion even if it doesn't match mine. It's a shame you couldn't be bothered to post anything like that. I love my Apple products, but they're incredibly far from perfect, and that includes the lackluster iOS (non-jailbroken).
I was laughing at you wishing for an iOS feature that already exists, and then writing that iOS is dead simple. The contrast was funny.

You're very serious about your tablet operating systems.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You know, even with the lower PPI vs. the iPhone 4/4S, I really think that a retina-quality display at nearly 10" is going to be a game changer. It's easy to appreciate retina on a 3.5" screen, but one that is as big as an iPad is just going to blow minds. God the wait brutal.

Agree. Retina will only truly be appreciated on a big screen

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Baconsammy you gotta enable multitasking gestures and then four finger swipe between open apps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I ordered a 16GB model and don't regret it at all. I never came close to the cap on my iPad 2, and that is with having a bunch of shitty apps on there I never used. I would rather deal with memory management than pay the ridiculous $100 premium for a measly 16GB of extra storage.

Can you selectively download apps over WiFi from your computer? I.e manage wireless sync settings from the iPad?

Memory management would be simpler if I didn't have to use my computer or download over the internet

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It also barely works on an iPad one. Err, it does work but its slow and chuggy and alot of times forces apps to close out and go to the homescreen.

The way it stretches out the left side of the left most app when you pull it to the right is kinda neat though. However, it noticeably degrades the image, almost as if it just took a screenshot of the app and then stretches it. I wonder how that will look on the new display.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Half tempted to try and buy a 64GB with all these scare stories about size. I was fairly full on my iPad 1 32GB with a ton of games my kids played.

Baconsammy you gotta enable multitasking gestures and then four finger swipe between open apps.

Thanks, but I gave my iPad 1 away to my mom (she loves it). I got sick of web pages reloading and apps failing to maintain state. I'm really hoping for better on iPad 3. Thanks for the heads-up on the swiping. I love the gesture support on my MacBook Air.

MThanded

Text at reasonable distance doesn't look any different to me. The photos look great though. Can't wait.
huh? The biggest improvement is the text IMO. I read a lot of PDFs that can't be reflowed. You notice it the most when the text is smaller

huh? The biggest improvement is the text IMO. I read a lot of PDFs that can't be reflowed. You notice it the most when the text is smaller

I don't see much of any difference in the text until I use the microscope thingy they provide. From a couple feet away the text is indistinguishable. This will always be different if I read on my iPad from less than a foot away.

Didn't notice this on the day the site went live - maybe its old?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

The loupe showing the differences between iPad 2 and the new one. 3 different apps as well. Simple but really impressive

My issue is that they should have had a page where you can see both iPads at their original iPad screen size as an example. I don't see the difference without the loupe but I Know I will when I hold them side by side

I don't see much of any difference in the text until I use the microscope thingy they provide. From a couple feet away the text is indistinguishable. This will always be different if I read on my iPad from less than a foot away.
You can't simulate a retina display on your crappy computer monitor unless you use the loupe. That's the point.

I don't see the difference without the loupe
I guess this concept is pretty difficult.

Ughhh ship :(

ScreenShot2012-03-10at123640PM.png

One is a bday gift for my dad... I'm crazy, but not that crazy :p

wait till monday

Top Bottom