• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next Rachet & Clank Hasn't Been Cancelled

Do you think the next Rachet & Clank will be...

• Cross-gen

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Next-gen only

Votes: 46 70.8%
  • RIP R&C

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

So apparently there is a clip going around about R&C being cancelled by Insomniac, from a person named Xem92. Apparently he's been on Insomniac streams many years in the past and plays a lot of R&C games as a speedrunner. This is my first time hearing of them, but I don't follow the R&C speedrunning scene so there is that.

Anyway, on their Astro Bot stream, they made an offhanded mention of hearing from someone (that they just met) who heard from someone else (no idea who) at Insomniac that the next R&C has been cancelled. If you recall, the next R&C was mentioned as a 2030 release on those leaked Insomniac slides from the ransomware hack. So if anything, it would be a PlayStation 6 title.

However, I'm still using 'would' as a future tense, as in to say, the game is very likely not cancelled. A little thinking would suggest that it currently is not a development priority for Insomniac, considering Wolverine and the X-Men game, plus Spiderman 3. I'd speculate that it is in early planning and conceptual phases at best. However, logically there is no reason for the game to have been cancelled. Rift Apart made a good amount of profit and neared 4 million units in just two years prior to its PC port. The series is seen as a mascot of sorts for PlayStation and is very recognizable. In light of Astro Bot's release and reception, SIE would also have had internal knowledge well prior that more games like it from internal teams would be valued, with R&C fitting comfortably in that space.

I am not discrediting what this individual has said; I am simply stating that what they are speaking on is probably from bad information filtered down one too many channels. It's also unlikely a speed-runner of R&C games would be privy to such knowledge WRT Insomniac's production pipeline, or even be in contact with someone high up enough to know such a thing. Even beyond this, there is a difference between development being in early phases or even "momentarily on hold" versus a cancellation, so supposing they have heard such a take, chances are very high their source(s) conflated the former for the latter or somewhere down the line, the former morphed into the latter.

While it still probably sucks for R&C fans they may have to wait about six years for another entry, I wouldn't let this rumor dampen your anticipation of that eventual release in any real capacity, as it's highly likely to be massively inaccurate. Welp, that's that!

peter42O

Neo Member
According to the Insomniac hack/leak, the next Ratchet is a next generation game. Their next three games are Venom, Wolverine and Spider Man 3 so sadly, it's going to be a while before we get a new Ratchet and Clank game. Was hoping for a Rivet spin off game similar to Miles Morales but that obviously didn't happen.

The only reason I can see them developing a new ratchet is as a proof of concept for new tech. To show case a next gen console or next gen portable.

As much as I love Ratchet, the games simply do not sell well. So unless it's used for it's promotional value or r&d value it's not gonna get green lit.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
According to the Insomniac hack/leak, the next Ratchet is a next generation game. Their next three games are Venom, Wolverine and Spider Man 3 so sadly, it's going to be a while before we get a new Ratchet and Clank game. Was hoping for a Rivet spin off game similar to Miles Morales but that obviously didn't happen.

I mean, that makes complete sense for what they got lined up.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
So you're claiming in 4 paragraphs, with no insight, that the game is not cancelled as a response to a guy who claimed, with no insight, that the game has been cancelled?

That's how we got here. People making shit up and sharing it so many times it eventually gets passed off as news.

nial

The series has been dogshit since the movie/remake game, they need to do better.

I'd love to play a good R&C.
But Rift Apart was fairly better than anything after the main trilogy except for maybe A Crack in Time.
Honestly, the series kinda started to lose its way the moment it became obvious that Deadlocked and Tools of Destruction were handled by Insomniac's B-team.

Last edited:
While it still probably sucks for R&C fans they may have to wait about six years for another entry, I wouldn't let this rumor dampen your anticipation of that eventual release in any real capacity, as it's highly likely to be massively inaccurate. Welp, that's that!
the truth? after the remake & rift apart? the heart & soul of the series has been gutted to the point of this long-time fan preferring the series simply be laid to rest. the folx currently running the show have no clue as to what it was that made the series special (not to mention funny)...

Holammer

Give it to astrobot dev to give the series a shot.
Asobi is a very small studio, only 65 employees. If they made a game with the complexity and fidelity of Ratchet and Clank: Ripped a fart they would need to hire several 100's more.
They could dial back the presentation and graphics of course. Have everyone talk with weeebboowoobby sounds effects and you save a fortune in voice acting.

Last edited:

Never know; they could be cooking up a spinoff (maybe even with an external dev studio) to put out like Team Asobi did with Astro Bot, and we just don't know it exists.

Small chance, but it's possible.

The only reason I can see them developing a new ratchet is as a proof of concept for new tech. To show case a next gen console or next gen portable.

As much as I love Ratchet, the games simply do not sell well. So unless it's used for it's promotional value or r&d value it's not gonna get green lit.

You should check some of the data from the leaked slides. Rift Apart did 3.7 million on PS5 by a (IIRC) June 2023 cutoff date, which isn't bad for a genre that's kind of niche (aside from Mario and occasionally Sonic games) and was next-gen exclusive to a system suffering shortages for all of 2021 and most of 2022. And the budget wasn't that much; probably a bit more than what Astro Bot costs (assuming that game is in the $60-$80 million range), but not that much higher.

~ 4 million (maybe a bit more by this point) is not bad for a game like Rift Apart. The next game doesn't even really need to be used as a proof of new tech; only Rift Apart did that recently, but doesn't mean it has to be the norm. If they have a cool enough concept in gameplay, they'll want to make an installment.

So you're claiming in 4 paragraphs, with no insight, that the game is not cancelled as a response to a guy who claimed, with no insight, that the game has been cancelled?

That's how we got here. People making shit up and sharing it so many times it eventually gets passed off as news.

Basically, but there are more reasons to believe it hasn't been cancelled than to believe it has.

Generations are becoming increasingly irrelevant

To an extent, and for some platforms more quickly than others. But I think Sony have at least one more (clear-ish) generation to put out thanks to where AI and specialized processing could be in a few years (and what that could do for game development).

If the PC-like direction turns out true, the next Xbox system(s) could also have enough to define a generation jump compared to the current systems (they need to get rid of the Series and X/S branding though. It's no good).

I don't understand the poll. Does "next-gen" mean the already four year-old PS5? Or PS6?

PS6. PS5 is now current-gen.

Last edited:

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
It was that little yellow depresso bot Kitt that destroyed all future R&C games.
All that bots fault.
Clank made it into Astrobot cameo, Kitt didn’t.
(unless that is a gatcha capsule, lots more of those to unlock)

Kdad

Asobi is a very small studio, only 65 employees. If they made a game with the complexity and fidelity of Ratchet and Clank: Ripped a fart they would need to hire several 100's more.
They could dial back the presentation and graphics of course. Have everyone talk with weeebboowoobby sounds effects and you save a fortune in voice acting.
RAitchet and ClAink. = all the voice acting done by training Ai on the old games...What that cost...$10?

Generations are becoming increasingly irrelevant
when all titles become cross-gen, at one end or the other? you are absolutely correct. skip the ps5? you can play a number of the games released for it so far on your ps4, as well, & you'll be able to play all the others on your ps6 in another 3-4 years, depending on whether this gen goes 7 years (the average) or 8...

Last edited:

peter42O

Neo Member
Never know; they could be cooking up a spinoff (maybe even with an external dev studio) to put out like Team Asobi did with Astro Bot, and we just don't know it exists.

Small chance, but it's possible.

It's definitely possible if an external development studio is making a new one or at least a mid-sized one but I really don't see how Insomniac would be able to. I know they have three studios but all three games being licensed Marvel IP's, they simply take priority over a new Ratchet game. If Venom and Wolverine release in 2025/2026 respectively, then I can see one of those teams working on a new Ratchet game (probably the Wolverine team) as once Venom ships in Fall 2025, im fully expecting that team to go work on Spider Man 3 so it can be ready for a Fall 2028 release when PlayStation 6 launches.

I only started playing Ratchet games with the 2016 remake and loved it. Love Rift Apart even more. Would love a new Ratchet sooner rather than later but I just don't see Sony/Insomniac getting away from the Marvel games any time soon. Really hoping that Sony makes Astro Bot it's "mascot" and has Team Asobi make it a franchise. I would love a new Astro Bot game every 3-4 years. That would be great.

I’m fine with there being one R&C game every gen.

That way every time a new Ratchet game comes out it will be the next ‘is this as good as pixar yet’ test.

ratchet-clank.gif

But Rift Apart was fairly better than anything after the main trilogy except for maybe A Crack in Time.
Honestly, the series kinda started to lose its way the moment it became obvious that Deadlocked and Tools of Destruction were handled by Insomniac's B-team.
This plan probably paid off if they utilized that dev experience and grew to become another A-team within Insomniac.

StueyDuck

It's definitely possible if an external development studio is making a new one or at least a mid-sized one but I really don't see how Insomniac would be able to. I know they have three studios but all three games being licensed Marvel IP's, they simply take priority over a new Ratchet game. If Venom and Wolverine release in 2025/2026 respectively, then I can see one of those teams working on a new Ratchet game (probably the Wolverine team) as once Venom ships in Fall 2025, im fully expecting that team to go work on Spider Man 3 so it can be ready for a Fall 2028 release when PlayStation 6 launches.

I only started playing Ratchet games with the 2016 remake and loved it. Love Rift Apart even more. Would love a new Ratchet sooner rather than later but I just don't see Sony/Insomniac getting away from the Marvel games any time soon. Really hoping that Sony makes Astro Bot it's "mascot" and has Team Asobi make it a franchise. I would love a new Astro Bot game every 3-4 years. That would be great.
I just...

It's insomniac, I'd rather RnC was put on ice. It's one of my favorite ps2 era adventure titles. Which is funny because at the time I probably would have told you jak, but in hindsight that has become ratchet over the years.

Rift apart was good... but you can see the modern audience elements creeping in slowly and after sm2 and knowing that Insomniac is fully infiltrated I just don't wanna see my boy get massacred in real time. Insomniac can stick to making marvel shite and trying to force gamers into being little activists. Maybe take the old crew, spinoff a new studio and give them ratchet, the franchise deserves better.

It deserves another crack in time level of masterclass

Duchess

Going to stick my neck out here, a lot, but ...

Does anyone else feel that this series is actually done? I don't see what more than can do with it. I've loved all the games, but I probably won't play another one.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Rift apart was whatever apart from the graphic, not really hyped for the next one.

Also post panderman is hard to be excited for anything coming out from insomniac.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Going to stick my neck out here, a lot, but ...

Does anyone else feel that this series is actually done? I don't see what more than can do with it. I've loved all the games, but I probably won't play another one.
For me, the element of things like a crack in time that are just being forgotten in modern audience RnC are things like the space traversal and galaxy map.

With games like no man's sky and other games like starfield and Outlaws trying to emulate it's feel, RnC could easily do some cool stuff with space traversal.

I still miss those silly little tiny planets. All that extra exploration and unlocks is what makes those games great. Rift apart was just too linear for most of the game barring two levels.

So for me I'd say imagine a starfield type galaxy map scaled way down to like 3 systems, 15-20 planets, put in some cool space combat and set pieces, lots of hidden golden bolts and secrets etc. Upgrading your ship as well as your weapons, That would kill

Last edited:
Rift Apart was fun but I did not care for Rivet and Kit. The story also sucked.

If they want to make a spin off game, fine - but I imagine no one will buy it.

Can we stick to Ratchet and Clank only?

Last edited:
I'd rather they remake the first couple games in the new game engine.

The last game wasn't bad but I honestly remember very little in it despite getting the platinum trophy. The girl wasn't bad but I didn't feel it added anything and the story was paper thin. I didn't dislike the game, I enjoyed it but it was just bland and generic with no memorable moments for me.

Top Bottom