• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NFL's nightmare week continues: Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

kneePat

Because children have been treated like disposable pieces of shit for centuries. Listen to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History on the treatment of children throughout modern civilization. It wasn't until relatively recently that parents were barred from slaving their children out working in coal mines and hard, extremely dangerous jobs to support their family.

Children were forced to be the chimney sweep. Some man would stuff naked children up the chimney and drag their naked bodies against the hard walls of the chimney cleaning out the soot and debris that stuck to the walls of the chimney.

People still hit children, because children are seen as sub-human. You will see the same logic from battered wives that you see from adults trying to justify the abuse they received. "I deserved to be spanked, because I was a real shit head." Both relationships often are born out of dependency. Both often exist in a relationship where a stronger person beats up on a weaker individual.

You will not often see public, majority of people speak out for the spanking/beating of small animals like dogs in the name of discipline. That practice has for the most part been set aside as an example of humanities barbarism. Yet, you will still see people support hitting children for reasons like "that's what my parents or grandparents did and I deserved it." There are entire generations of people suffering from the same feelings that battered spouses suffer through, yet we normalize this as part of our culture.

It's not about being politically correct. You wouldn't hit a dog, you wouldn't hit a co-worker, you wouldn't hit your mother, you wouldn't hit your wife, yet hitting children is fine despite research saying that it doesn't work. This is without considering whether it would be humane if it worked at all. I think children deserve to be treated with the same respect that all humans deserve no matter what their age, gender, race, or health situation.

Yep. This is the society we should strive for, and everyday that we ignore/enable/disengage from the importance of this, is a day lost.

I would say " fuck not hitting your dog, fuck not hitting your co-workers, fuck not hitting your mother, fuck not hitting your 'wife'... BUT DON'T FUCKING HIT YOUR CHILDREN". Why? That change can profoundly solve many of the problems I so carelessly 'fucked'. Not because I don't think those other issues aren't wrong or important, but I believe that the problem starts somewhere, and guess the fuck what... It starts with impressionable young people.

Pezking

Because children have been treated like disposable pieces of shit for centuries. Listen to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History on the treatment of children throughout modern civilization. It wasn't until relatively recently that parents were barred from slaving their children out working in coal mines and hard, extremely dangerous jobs to support their family.

Children were forced to be the chimney sweep. Some man would stuff naked children up the chimney and drag their naked bodies against the hard walls of the chimney cleaning out the soot and debris that stuck to the walls of the chimney.

People still hit children, because children are seen as sub-human. You will see the same logic from battered wives that you see from adults trying to justify the abuse they received. "I deserved to be spanked, because I was a real shit head." Both relationships often are born out of dependency. Both often exist in a relationship where a stronger person beats up on a weaker individual.

You will not often see public, majority of people speak out for the spanking/beating of small animals like dogs in the name of discipline. That practice has for the most part been set aside as an example of humanities barbarism. Yet, you will still see people support hitting children for reasons like "that's what my parents or grandparents did and I deserved it." There are entire generations of people suffering from the same feelings that battered spouses suffer through, yet we normalize this as part of our culture.

It's not about being politically correct. You wouldn't hit a dog, you wouldn't hit a co-worker, you wouldn't hit your mother, you wouldn't hit your wife, yet hitting children is fine despite research saying that it doesn't work. This is without considering whether it would be humane if it worked at all. I think children deserve to be treated with the same respect that all humans deserve no matter what their age, gender, race, or health situation.

Thank you.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Lazyslob

Banned
so i've always been against football because it's an awful, awful sport. BUT isnt the nfl like.... kinda relaxed when it comes to steroids and shit. i wonder how many of athelets in the nfl who abuse that stuff end up hurting someone

kneePat

so i've always been against football because it's an awful, awful sport. BUT isnt the nfl like.... kinda relaxed when it comes to steroids and shit. i wonder how many of athelets in the nfl who abuse that stuff end up hurting someone

It is possible (although unlikely) & likely that you do not realize this.... but I'm verifiably confident, almost objectively so, that this probably is, THE literal, AND categorical definition of a ... 'Shit Post' !!!

Rembrandt

Banned
Yep. This is the society we should strive for, and everyday that we ignore/enable/disengage from the importance of this, is a day lost.

I would say " fuck not hitting your dog, fuck not hitting your co-workers, fuck not hitting your mother, fuck not hitting your 'wife'... BUT DON'T FUCKING HIT YOUR CHILDREN". Why? That change can profoundly solve many of the problems I so carelessly 'fucked'. Not because I don't think those other issues aren't wrong or important, but I believe that the problem starts somewhere, and guess the fuck what... It starts with impressionable young people.

so we're really trying to make spanking disappear, why? I find it so odd how many people truly equate spanking of any kind to child abuse. I would be damned if I give my bad ass kid a timeout if he was wilding out being destructive and all of that. I would simply spank him and explain why I spanked him. There's a difference between spanking and beating.

so we're really trying to make spanking disappear, why? I find it so odd how many people truly equate spanking of any kind to child abuse. I would be damned if I give my bad ass kid a timeout if he was wilding out being destructive and all of that. I would simply spank him and explain why I spanked him. There's a difference between spanking and beating.
What would you call what AP did? Keep in mind the kid has marks all over his body, and even took a shot to the balls.

What would you call what AP did? Keep in mind the kid has marks all over his body, and even took a shot to the balls.

I use to get worst marks than that by Mother. Super Nintendo cords while you in the shower would put anyone straight. She only went to extreme measures when the situation was extreme, and that happen rarely. Now what my Father did was not discipline, but straight abuse. "Why you wearing that shirt!"*Punched in the face* "Why didn't you finished your meal?" *Get force feed, then beaten* And it was on and on. If what AP did was constant beatings with no reason, then I have a problem, but if it was a simple old school ass wooping..I don't see the beef.

otapnam

I use to get worst marks than that by Mother. Super Nintendo cords while you in the shower would put anyone straight. She only went to extreme measures when the situation was extreme, and that happen rarely. Now what my Father did was not discipline, but straight abuse. "Why you wearing that shirt!"*Punched in the face* "Why didn't you finished your meal?" *Get force feed, then beaten* And it was on and on. If what AP did was constant beatings with no reason, then I have a problem, but if it was a simple old school ass wooping..I don't see the beef.

You got beat. You wernt just spanked or corrected

Wthermans

Banned
I am so sorry for the abuse your mother put you through.

Wow, this is a raw thread. All I know is that, from the evidence that's out there, what AP did was wrong. I don't know if he deserves jail time or to have his career ended, but I really hope, for his sake and that of his family, he reflects on this and reconsiders how he's going to approach being a dad.

I agree with this post. I was also a kid who was disciplined(not beaten, huge difference) and what AP did was wrong. If he felt the need to discipline his kid, especially as an athlete, he should've done it behind closed doors, not with a tree branch that'll do more damage than traditional punishment methods.

You will not often see public, majority of people speak out for the spanking/beating of small animals like dogs in the name of discipline. That practice has for the most part been set aside as an example of humanity's barbarism. Yet, you will still see people support hitting children for reasons like "that's what my parents or grandparents did and I deserved it." There are entire generations of people suffering from the same feelings that battered spouses suffer through, yet we normalize this as part of our culture.

This is a wonderful post and I thought you should be thanked for writing it.

TThank you.

tanooki27

further confirmation to stay the hell away from east texas. if I got hit repeatedly with a switch as a kid I'd be a mean sonuvabitch.

As a Vikings fan, I'm pretty shocked. The Vikings organization has had plenty of scandals over the years, but I never thought Peterson would be involved in one. I'm not a father, but I don't think I could ever find the ability to harm a child physically. I can understand that this was how Peterson was brought up in his childhood, but we're living in a different time now. It's good that he is cooperating with the authorities, and I hope he continues to do so and gets fair punishment for his actions.

Also I'm curious, does anyone know what is the typical punishment for abuse of this nature?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
He gave his son a whopping for misbehaving.

FIRE HIM & THROW HIM IN JAIL FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE!

From teh sounds of it, he son wasn't a very consistent part of his life. So he should've known there was no context for that type of punishment. IF your own son is coming to visit and you have a visitation type relationship.....thats a really poor choice. Theres no consistency of a present Father. AP should've known disciplinary authority is something he didn't have if his isn't living with the child and married to the mother. On top of all that ....how old is this kid, and since he is "visiting" his father just how upset can you be with him? Is he getting a daily example from AP? no so he needs to check himself first, he's the parent.

Mugshot:

ibA4oIlFmDSLL.jpg

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I was beat as a kid whenever I did stupid shit.. I didn't like it at all but I remember never wanting to do said shit again.

This however is not right. AP is physical freak and a four year old is a four year old. After losing his other son the way he did, you would think he would be a bit more compassionate to his other children

Opiate

NFL players, on average, get arrested less than most men their age. It's just not a news story when a guy loses his job at the bus depot for beating his wife in public.

And how do they compare to other rich, influential people/ entertainers? Like baseball players, for instance? Or hockey players? Honest question.

I use to get worst marks than that by Mother. Super Nintendo cords while you in the shower would put anyone straight. She only went to extreme measures when the situation was extreme, and that happen rarely. Now what my Father did was not discipline, but straight abuse. "Why you wearing that shirt!"*Punched in the face* "Why didn't you finished your meal?" *Get force feed, then beaten* And it was on and on. If what AP did was constant beatings with no reason, then I have a problem, but if it was a simple old school ass wooping..I don't see the beef.[/QUOTE]

Given your childhood, why am I not surprised. No parent should "asswhoop" their kid.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Man, I think I was actually hit by my parents one time in my life. They'd use the psychological shit-- my mom making me think she'd wash my mouth out with soap only to never put soap on the washcloth, stuff like that.

I mean, I was a pretty smart kid so it didn't take much for my parents to rationalize stuff with me. "Why would you hurt your sister when she's smaller than you?" etc. But I see this kinda stuff happen and I always think (probably in error) "Why couldn't you just peacefully, you know, teach your kid?"

I get that some kids are just outright heathens, but I think WAY more get made into shitty kids by terrible parents than are just born as crazy asshole kids.

And then to read that the whole thing happened because AP's 4 year old pushed his other kid during a video game bout? I mean, Jesus. You play FOOTBALL and rather than educate your kid about violence you just expose them to more of it? How is a 4 year old supposed to process that stuff?

I'm rambling but, man, there just has to be a better way.

You caught me. I am not a parent. Do we know what the kid did to receive this potential abuse?

It'll sway my opinion drastically if it is something totally trivial. No matter what it was it didn't deserve this at all. I just think it was a matter of AP being ignorant to physical discipline and going way too overboard.

what the fuck could a 4 year old do to make this cool with you?

Oh come on. Ray Rice punched a girl in the face over nothing. We saw it. The cases are similar but I think AP is a little more forgivable ASSUMING somehow we prove he just doesn't understand how physical hitting a little kid with a stick can be. Both cases are forms of anger management issues.

You have to understand my side of it. Hitting a woman...never...nope. Hitting a kid....well give me the details. But again I am not a parent and do not know anything about raising a 4 year old. But I would never resort to this type of shit over anything. AP is definitely in the wrong here.

I think the worst case of the shit going on in the NFL right now is the Greg Hardy shit. That dude should not be playing. What he did is WAY worse than Rice but since we don't have a video to outrage the people the dude just keeps playing. So ridiculous.

who thinks like this? The kid is even more defenseless. Hell, Janay Rice was hitting Ray, he should have just switched her in their room and he could have avoided all this. 20 lashes sound appropriate?

I'm sure there are a lot of people who will testify that them being disciplined when they were kids lead them to be good.

and that is useless anecdotal evidence

who thinks like this? The kid is even more defenseless. Hell, Janay Rice was hitting Ray, he should have just switched her in their room and he could have avoided all this. 20 lashes sound appropriate?

He's already bowed out of the thread - most of the things you're asking him have been addressed the further along that you read.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Spanking or using a paddle etc.. on the buttock area has never been considered abuse.

Yeah, I'd kind of argue that beating with a switch so that there are visible wounds four weeks later and you cause injury to the testicles of a fucking four year old child has been, is, and always will be considered abuse by right-minded individuals.

Report: Vikings Will Handle Adrian Peterson's Status On Monday

Deadspin said:
The Vikings already deactivated Adrian Peterson for today's game due to his indictment on child injury charges, but the team will figure out his status going forward on Monday, according to a report.

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports points out the Vikings have a few options with the current collective bargaining agreement: Peterson can stay on the roster, be on the team but get deactivated for games, or be suspended with pay until the case progresses.

Aside from the team, the NFL can discipline Peterson, too, but La Canfora says that probably won't happen right now since the Vikings aren't dragging their feet on the matter.

Peterson turned himself in Saturday morning and posted bail. He's currently in Minnesota, but not around the team.

My preference would be gone from the league.

BigDug13

This seems way worse than Ray Rice to me. The kid can't walk away from this bad relationship. But this also wasn't captured on tape, so I'm sure his punishment will be WAY less severe.

CrankyJay

Banned
This seems way worse than Ray Rice to me. The kid can't walk away from this bad relationship. But this also wasn't captured on tape, so I'm sure his punishment will be WAY less severe.

Yeah. I feel Peterson is going to get a hefty suspension, especially since the nfl is already in the limelight for the whole Ray Rice fiasco. Peterson could get the ban hammer.

marrec

Banned

We won't be forced to witness our own hypocrisy getting dragged out of a hotel elevator this time.

otapnam

It needs to be handled right the first time.

I still feel bad for the rice's. Shouldve been punished properly in april instead of having it come out months after when they probably thought it was behind them

kingslunk

And how do they compare to other rich, influential people/ entertainers? Like baseball players, for instance? Or hockey players? Honest question.

Semyon Varlamov (goalie for the Avalanche) beat up his girlfriend and played the next game. Never got suspended or charged by police.

NFL players, on average, get arrested less than most men their age. It's just not a news story when a guy loses his job at the bus depot for beating his wife in public.

We've already seen the NFL's willingness to cover up even the more disgusting acts committed by their players. Who knows what other things we don't know about.

so because you were abused as a child, that makes it the right thing to do? Do you have kids?

so because you were abused as a child, that makes it the right thing to do? Do you have kids?

Violence begets violence in a lot of ways. It's not as if he's wrong about his opinion, but it's an opinion formed from a previous childhood of abuse.

He was taught to accept it as proper punishment so his view of it is mild in comparison to those who were raised without physical discipline and who view the current situation as disgusting.

For me, I was spanked as a child but never to an extreme such as this. I would never ever condone this type of abuse in any situation. A 4 year old can be managed properly without resorting to being lashed with a switch. Enough to cause severe lacerations weeks after the abuse.

If it draws blood, in my opinion it's abuse, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom