• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NFL's nightmare week continues: Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
A switch?

teacher-west.jpg

zpage115.gif

628x471.jpg

Picking out a belt, one thing.. sure sure...
Visiting yer grandma, and fucking up there... picking the switch,.. sure sure...

A switch in 2014.. thats going to turn some heads. Even spanking is a 50/50 shot if someone sees you/calls.

I mean, direct to switch..heheh.. well...ppp...

Yea this.

I didn't know anyone under the age of 65 spanks with switches. Kinda baffling. I wonder if he went all the way and sent the kid out into the yard crying to pick out the stick he was going to get spanked with.

This just opened up a whole new can of worms...

/teamspank

No kidding. If it was 'spanking' in the traditional sense, this will set a nation-wide debate. I look forward to the Daily Show clips from FOX News:

"My dad beat me with a belt for mixing his drink wrong. Kids today have no respect."

I have to think there are wounds on the kid if there's an indictment. Ugh.

Yep. I mean if he spanked him with his pants down, there can't help but be bruises.

I definitely got spanked with a switch by my grandparents a couple of times. I can't remember if I had to take my pants down. They also did not have NFL-grade strength, so there's a difference.

Well this should be interesting.

Here's this:

Update: Sources say Peterson was first ‘no billed’ by the grand jury when the prosecutor first presented this case but the District Attorney’s office took it a second time and this time the panel in Montgomery County accepted the criminal charge.

Update: Brady Fitzgerald with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s office says they investigated Peterson for injury to a child and then turned the case over to the District Attorney to present to a grand jury. However, Fitzgerald says Peterson has not been arrested.

http://www.isiahfactor.com/2014/09/12/adrian-peterson-indicted-in-montgomery-county-texas/

if the no bill then giving it to a second grand jury and true bill is true, that is very very very interesting. barring new evidence, that would be highly unusual.

Not sure what the spanking law is in Texas but I assume it isn't very strict.

Also I can't imagine physically punishing a child when you had an earlier child beat to death.

Zozz

Banned
I got spanked as kid, smacked with a rod, spoon, and I turned out fucking fine, sometimes people only learn with a little forced, I know it calmed my asshole attitude. Would I do the same to my kid? Nah, I really don't want to.

Again tho, this is going to be a fucking trainwreck of a thread. We're talking about the severity of it, sounds serious enough. People are going to be asking for those pictures, and that is beyond fucked.

Damn, the hits keep on coming for the NFL. Not sure what a switch is, but I was spanked growing up and it made me into the man I am today.

braves01

Banned
Now that I know what a switch is, this doesn't seem nearly as bad for NFL as the Ray Rice thing. I know there'll be people on Fox News (maybe elsewhere) defending this as an appropriate disciplinary measure.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
spanking thread? LEGGO.

Homeboy went back in time to get that switch. I thought the only way to get the switch is to post a twerking video on facebook.

I hope the child is alright.

I assume he is (beyond some bruising?), as anything more serious probably would have leaked much earlier and this have been an on-going situation for weeks now.

Still- goddamnit, Adrian. :(

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Not sure what the spanking law is in Texas but I assume it isn't very strict.

Also I can't imagine physically punishing a child when you had an earlier child beat to death.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/PE/5/22/22.04

More info here I think? First time to this site so I dunno.

http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/of...ngs-adrian-peterson-indicted-for-child-injury

UPDATE: Per Jay Glazer, Peterson will cooperate with law enforcement and may not be available for the weekend.

UPDATE2: Isiah Carey reports an update on the Grand Jury proceedings. Evidently the Grand Jury “no billed” the Peterson case, meaning there was not enough evidence to indict. When the district attorney presented a second time, the panel accepted the criminal charge.

Further context: Adrian Peterson was inactive yesterday, but only as part of a veteran’s day of rest. He was seen at the beginning and end of practice. Today, he was in the building and was in Winter Park as of two hours ago.

UPDATE3: The Vikings are currently deciding on Peterson’s status for the weekend, per Jay Glazer.

UPDATE4: According to Ian Rapaport, the investigation has been going on for some time. Peterson testified to the Grand Jury weeks ago.

UPDATE5: And Ian also reports that the charges stem from Adrian disciplining his son with a switch.

I… uh… evidently need to clarify that a switch is a thin tree branch. This strongly implies that the story is (because the statute is distinct from intentional injury) a case of overzealousness in disciplining the child.

UPDATE6: From Isiah Carey at Fox 26 again:

Brady Fitzgerald with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s office says they investigated Peterson for injury to a child and then turned the case over to the District Attorney to present to a grand jury. However, Fitzgerald says Peterson has not been arrested.

Trey

If Peterson left marks or caused bleeding...8 games minimum.

NFL don't want this problem. If they suspend the best running back in a generation for stuff many many people strongly believe in, they'll take the hit. If the NFL doesn't suspend AP, people will say the NFL condones child abuse.

Good luck with this one, Goodell.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm completely ignorant on the law. But I had friends growing up that would get a belt to the ass if they ever got in serious trouble. At what point does it become child abuse? I'm not asking philosophically (I know not everyone agrees on corporal punishment). More so, at what point legally is it considered abuse/neglect?

Is spanking your child with an object illegal in some states?

I'm completely ignorant on the law. But I had friends growing up that would get a belt to the ass if they ever got in serious trouble. At what point does it become child abuse? I'm not asking philosophically (I know not everyone agrees on corporal punishment). More so, at what point legally is it considered abuse/neglect?

I don't know either, but I would assume in most cases the line is drawn around bruising (scope and scale).

I believe the point of contention is leaving marks, abrasions, or bruises on a child.

Mononoke

Banned
I don't know either, but I would assume in most cases the line is drawn around bruising (scope and scale).

Yeah, so it's probably based on the physical damage? I guess one has to determine that it was excessive beyond reason, and to the point that it put the child's health in danger. I just think this is such a weird thing, since so many people have their own views on how to discipline children. I'm just curious how many cases cross that line of what is and isn't abuse. And now adays, I'm pretty sure if a kid was angry that their parent belted them, they could complain to someone and there would be child protection services all over that house. So unlike the past, it would be a lot easier for a kid to get their parent in trouble. But then again, if there isn't bruising or physical damage, then there wouldn't be a case. SO that seems to be the focus here (the amount of physical damage that crosses over to abuse).

I'm gonna want to know how hard the spanking was, and what it was for before I agree with "abuse".

I don't think most parents want to lay hands on their kids - or have anyone lay hands on their kids - but there's got to be a place where a whack on the bottom/on the hands is a valid limited use tool for parenting that isn't abuse.

I know "well, my parents smacked me one a few times when I was really out of line as a kid" isn't proof that it's a good thing or whatever...but still, that happened and I know they never crossed the line in the rare times they did so.

demolitio

Did he make the kid go cut his own switch? I always had to and if you didn't cut a good one, you got it worse.

My grandpa never did it to us but he would threaten my older brother with his belt but my brother's response made everyone laugh instead. He said, "But papaw, you can't use your belt! Your pants would fall down!" What a perfect response to get out of the punishment.

I guess I'm glad I was good. A different era for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom