• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NFL's nightmare week continues: Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
gonna be kind of tough to get a conviction for spanking in texas, unless Peterson lost his damn mind when he was hitting the kid

Was reading the TMZ link and looks like it was not even his kid
on the other hand...

LQX

Whats the difference between a switch and belt? Switch hurts more?

And how the hell do you discipline a child not yours? Yeah, need more details on this. The kid being 11 might have been caught doing something pervy.

I need more details. Must had been bad, to leave marks maybe.

Like others are saying, it's a different era. My mom spanked me hard with a bamboo broom. Probably wouldn't fly nowadays. I hold no ill will though, we laugh about it now at gatherings.

If it wasn't his kid though, hot damn. That ain't right.

FStubbs

Now that I know what a switch is, this doesn't seem nearly as bad for NFL as the Ray Rice thing. I know there'll be people on Fox News (maybe elsewhere) defending this as an appropriate disciplinary measure.

He's black. Fox is a coin flip here.

UberTag

So what's the shark move in fantasy?
I'm thinking pick up Matt Asiata if you need an RB to start right away and Jerick McKinnon for the better long-term stash.

(Is it wrong that this was my immediate reaction to this news?)

And how the hell do you discipline a child not yours? Yeah, need more details on this. The kid being 11 might have been caught doing something pervy.

A switch is a very thin branch, very little air resistance, I rather be hit with a branch or belt then a switch

sn00zer

A switch was really common back in the day, my parents grew up on it, so its not surprising someone would use this to discipline their kids. But as with spanking, a swat can quickly turn to abuse without restraint.

So what's the shark move in fantasy?
I'm thinking pick up Matt Asiata if you need an RB to start right away and Jerick McKinnon for the better long-term stash.

(Is it wrong that this was my immediate reaction to this news?)

I grabbed Asiata and then emailed all my coworkers in the league about the indictment.

Zeke

Our babysitter growing up had permission to spank my cousins and i. Not really far fetched.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
And the lesson learned here is don't hit children! Treat them like human beings and don't resort to violence as a form of punishment/communication!

entremet

Spanking at 11?!

I'm anti spanking so maybe I'm biased. But at that age, wouldn't the kid be able to talk and discuss. I always though spanking was for toddlers and such.

You have NO idea of the culture AP grew in so please stop your ignorance before you make my brain bleed

I got a few good switch licks in my day. I feel it was effective but I wouldn't do it to my kid as I believe there are more effective deterrents. I can easily see how it gets passed down though. Spanking can be systemic in communities where ignorance to more effective alternatives is present.

If he spanked his kid with a switch a couple times I'm not going to condone it, but If there wasn't some sort of overreaction or excessive discipline I'm not so sure about an indictment.

My perspective may be different and/or out of touch as I was disciplined this way a few times, and within the community I lived it physical discipline (spankings) was extremely common.

My parents kept me out of trouble and focused on doing the right things, so I'm not going to question their methods In hindsight.

AP is 29. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this marks the end of his career. He maybe had 2 years left. If he gets the book thrown at him by a vengeful Goodell then this year is done and then who knows, could be over. This is all assuming he's guilty and this turns out to be some heinous act.

Trey

No way AP doesn't catch a substantial suspension. 8 games at least.

The year isn't out of the question.

I got a few good switch licks in my day. I feel it was effective but I wouldn't do it to my kid as I believe there are more effective deterrents. I can easily see how it gets passed down though. Spanking can be systemic in communities where ignorance to more effective alternatives is present.

If he spanked his kid with a switch a couple times I'm not going to condone it, but If there wasn't some sort of overreaction or excessive discipline I'm not so sure about an indictment.

My perspective may be different and/or out of touch as I was disciplined this way a few times, and within the community I lived it physical discipline (spankings) was extremely common.

My parents kept me out of trouble and focused on doing the right things, so I'm not going to question their methods In hindsight.

Finally a knowledgable post in this thread

Fox318

1pmpwVT.jpg

Why should I care about a child? Does he play wide receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom