• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Night Of - new crime limited series - HBO Sundays - 90 on Metacritic

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Good episode. I wonder if there's a chance now that Chandra and Stone will work together for Naz. He still seems pretty fucked though. Hate to say it, but he should have taken the deal. We still don't know for sure if he actually did anything, and he doesn't either!

In the preview it shows both of them entering the house. So it is gonna happen.
Spoiler from the preview.

Good episode. I wonder if there's a chance now that Chandra and Stone will work together for Naz. He still seems pretty fucked though. Hate to say it, but he should have taken the deal. We still don't know for sure if he actually did anything, and he doesn't either!
I think drugs will play a role and it will come down to being in a state of semi-consciousness. But I think Naz isn't the type of guy who would repeatedly slice that girl. They mentioned that she was stabbed 21 times, same age as her. It's clear that it's leading away from Naz.

duckroll

I think drugs will play a role and it will come down to being in a state of semi-consciousness. But I think Naz isn't the type of guy who would repeatedly slice that girl. They mentioned that she was stabbed 21 times, same age as her. It's clear that it's leading away from Naz.

Yeah I think the narrative is starting to make it clear there might be someone else involved, but at the same time, I can't shake off the feeling that it wasn't really murder. Like, there's something weird about the girl.

KodaRuss

Yeah I think the narrative is starting to make it clear there might be someone else involved, but at the same time, I can't shake off the feeling that it wasn't really murder. Like, there's something weird about the girl.

The fact that she said she didnt want to be alone tonight when Naz picked her up makes it seem like she knew something was up or going to happen.

Pretty exciting show so far, good follow up to True Detective Season 1 (Just trying to convince myself that Season 2 never happened)

Dalek

Wow! I would love more seasons. I wanna see these characters for years to come.
The scene where he
asked for help
was like
Walter White shaving his head.

That's a great analogy and you're right. It was like him coming to a realization about his position.

I liked when he told the Lawyer "so quit." And she was like..."Well I DO quit!" Too late lady, he took the wind out of your sails first.

Wild arrow in the dark. Maybe the rehab facility is sort of a cult hangout? Which is why that lady reacted unusually to Stone recording them. She was definitely weird and would make sense if the cult needs her sacrificed etc.

Helmholtz

I have a feeling she somehow got him to stab her while he was on whatever drugs those were, like an assisted suicide. She probably wanted to die but wasn't able to do it herself. We don't really know what the drug was yet. It was weird that he stabbed her in the hand then they immediately went to have sex without thinking about that injury. I think the drugs put him in a different state of mind where he'd do what she said and stab her without realizing he was killing her.
I think there are a lot of red herrings, like those two guys who saw them go into the apartment. I assume that witness didn't mention his buddy for unrelated reasons. And I doubt the stepfather did it, he just seems to have issues and probably cared about the girl even though she wasn't right in the head. He didn't act very surprised about her being dead, I would imagine she was suicidal and people who knew her felt like her death was inevitable.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Wild arrow in the dark. Maybe the rehab facility is sort of a cult hangout? Which is why that lady reacted unusually to Stone recording them. She was definitely weird and would make sense if the cult needs her sacrificed etc.

That sounds crazy though. It is a rehab probably very private and don't want any photos taken. It is supposed to be a safe space for them. The man even says they have many famous people their as well. She reacted unusually because a man wearing saran wrap on his feet is taking photos.

turtle553

I have a feeling she somehow got him to stab her while he was on whatever drugs those were, like an assisted suicide. She probably wanted to die but wasn't able to do it herself. We don't really know what the drug was yet. It was weird that he stabbed her in the hand then they immediately went to have sex without thinking about that injury. I think the drugs put him in a different state of mind where he'd do what she said and stab her without realizing he was killing her.
I think there are a lot of red herrings, like those two guys who saw them go into the apartment. I assume that witness didn't mention his buddy for unrelated reasons. And I doubt the stepfather did it, he just seems to have issues and probably cared about the girl even though she wasn't right in the head. He didn't act very surprised about her being dead, I would imagine she was suicidal and people who knew her felt like her death was inevitable.

But he should have been totally covered in blood if he did it. Not just a little on his hands from touching her.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
But he should have been totally covered in blood if he did it. Not just a little on his hands from touching her.

They could easily say he took a shower after he killed her and blacked out. Got dressed and passed out in the kitchen. The biggest thing they need to find is the real murder weapon.

duckroll

So I still don't get why his new buddie just lashed out on him and threw oil at him? Why all of the sudden?🤔

He's not his buddy. He has no buddies. It's a prison, not grade school. The point is that this guy thinks he did it, because odds are, everyone in there is guilty. When he kept up his innocent guy display, it pissed him off more and more and he figures that he's an asshole and coward who refuses to even acknowledge his guilt.

The most important scene of the whole series was in last night's episode and ill bet some of you didnt even notice.

When John Stone was knocking boots he actually had the decency to put SOCKS on. Yes...SOCKS I said.

Nothus

So I still don't get why his new buddie just lashed out on him and threw oil at him? Why all of the sudden?🤔

He was never his buddy, as soon as he found out why Nas was in there he was out to get him. It was far too similar a crime to the guy who killed his niece. He can't get to that guy so he took it out on Nas instead.

Does that baby oil thing really work though? What the fuck?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The prison scenes in this show are more terrifying than any other TV show/movie I've seen.

[edit]

The moment Naz walks out, sees that guy smile and decides to ask for help was great. If Naz is found innocent, he's going to come out there a pretty cold and jaded person.

This is approaching some top level HBO for me, it is fantastic

Yeah, same, this is up there with True Detective season 1. Every episode is long, slow as fuck but each time it ends I wish I could fast forward to next week.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
He was never his buddy, as soon as he found out why Nas was in there he was out to get him. It was far too similar a crime to the guy who killed his niece. He can't get to that guy so he took it out on Nas instead.

Does that baby oil thing really work though? What the fuck?
Seems like it is a thing, but it doesn't sound very effective with just water.

Prisoners assaulted with boiling water, baby oil

According to Prosecutor James Young, Fonville allegedly threw boiling water and baby oil on two other prisoners.

“The jail allows inmates to have a microwave in the big cells to heat Ryman noodles,” explained Young. “They were scalded pretty well, but there were no lasting injuries.”

Fonville was allegedly aiming at the face of one inmate in particular, but several others were also hit by the hot water, said Jail Administrator Nick Romzek.

This was only the second incident involving prisoner misuse of the microwave since the device was installed in the cell more than a dozen years ago, said Romzek.

“We took the microwave out ” after the latest incident, Romzek said. “We never thought it would be a problem.”

He said prisoners can buy baby oil through the jail commissary. It’s mainly used for dry skin.

SdaVVvu.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=w...Q6AEILjAH#v=onepage&q=Baby oil napalm&f=false

He's not his buddy. He has no buddies. It's a prison, not grade school. The point is that this guy thinks he did it, because odds are, everyone in there is guilty. When he kept up his innocent guy display, it pissed him off more and more and he figures that he's an asshole and coward who refuses to even acknowledge his guilt.

This is also echoed in a very small way when Naz is talking to his lawyer and she is saying the same "don't look but look" thing and one of the inmates in the cell tells him that's BS and he needs to look them straight in the eye.

No one has any reason to help him unless they can get something out of it. Even Freddy (Fred E.?), at the very least, wants some intellectual stimulation from him.

The one detail I loved about that baby oil scene? The first shot of that scene is the hot water dispenser, with just a little steam coming from the nozzle. It was ominous enough to make me notice it but not enough to make me predict what was going to happen. So good.

Korey

I like the series so far but don't really understand it.

I thought it would be more about the mystery of what really happened. Like a whodunit type of thing with twists and turns.

I mean... the title is called "The Night Of".

Instead, it's more about lawyers, cliche prison life shit, and Stone's skin problems than anything else.

In the last episode they finally dug a little deeper into there being something more going on with the victim than people know about, but it was still barely anything.

Dalek

I thought it would be more about the mystery of what really happened. Like a whodunit type of thing with twists and turns.

Instead, it's more about lawyers, cliche prison life shit, and Stone's skin problems than anything else.

In the last episode they finally dug a little deeper into there being something more going on with the victim than people know about, but it was still barely anything.

This is actually why I love the show so much-this is showing me details about cases that are usually glossed over on most television shows. I'm sure that the mystery will eventually get discussed but all the minutia about the lawyers, the impounded car, the prison experience, the cost of the trial, the color of the jumpsuits, etc-most shows would skip over this.

Prompto

Banned
This is actually why I love the show so much-this is showing me details about cases that are usually glossed over on most television shows. I'm sure that the mystery will eventually get discussed but all the minutia about the lawyers, the impounded car, the prison experience, the cost of the trial, the color of the jumpsuits, etc-most shows would skip over this.
Yup. It sets it apart from most shows.

Only thing I'm disliking is all the focus on Stone's feet.

maxcriden

End of ep 3 was too disturbing for me personally with the cat. I guess I'm out till find out the cat ends up ok. I'm sure this will read as strange to some but we all have our sensitive spots. So, i read what happens regarding the cat in ep 4 and will come back if I find out the cat ends up ok.

jmood88

The most important scene of the whole series was in last night's episode and ill bet some of you didnt even notice.

When John Stone was knocking boots he actually had the decency to put SOCKS on. Yes...SOCKS I said.
It was pretty hard to miss considering they cut to a shot of his feet with socks on.

KahooTs

Same boat, haven't watched this episode yet, was hoping they will have gotten back to the murder mystery, disappointing to hear it's more of episode two rather than what they were selling in episode one that looked so promising.

People need their taxi back? That's unfortunate, but a woman died and sorting that out is far more important, and interesting, move on.

There's also a lot of interesting, if not weird, stuff going on with Stone and age, sexuality, and attraction. I'd have to think it's in there for a reason, though not necessarily directly related to the murder.

Korey

There's also a lot of interesting, if not weird, stuff going on with Stone and age, sexuality, and attraction. I'd have to think it's in there for a reason, though not necessarily directly related to the murder.
My problem is exactly that... Nothing in the last few episodes is directly related to the murder.

In the last episode, Naz recounted the night of the murder and I was like "oh yea, that happened. This show is about that."

The show is an intimate look at how tilted the US justice system is, it's not a whodunnit. If you only care about solving the murder you're going to be disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if we never get a clear picture of who actually killed her. One of the points the show is trying to make is that the truth isn't always relevant.

I noticed a pretty glaring and funny continuity error in last night's episode. When Stone is at the bar talking to the guy next to him about the "gift from the gods" deal Naz got, keep an eye on his beer. It goes from full to half full to near empty to near full again after each cut. I got a laugh out of that.

He's going to be cleared of murdering audrey but do something in prison that keeps him locked up anyway. Morale of the story being the corrosive nature of the justice system or something

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What's with all the spoiler tags? Unless you're talking about a preview or have knowledge about something that will happen in the show and hasn't yet, you don't need to spoiler tag anything.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
What's with all the spoiler tags? Unless you're talking about a preview or have knowledge about something that will happen in the show and hasn't yet, you don't need to spoiler tag anything.

This always messes with me. Previews and spoilers should be tagged. Guesses don't have to be and should use context.

I mean, I already know prison is scary, and yet the prison scenes in this show are still so fucking intense.

This is probably my second favorite show this year (BCS being first place.)

I still think the first episode was so good and the rest of the episodes haven't lived up to it, but I'm really digging how different this show is. I want more of a focus on Nas though

My problem is exactly that... Nothing in the last few episodes is directly related to the murder.

In the last episode, Naz recounted the night of the murder and I was like "oh yea, that happened. This show is about that."
The show is about everything since that too. You're approaching this show as CSI: Miami...This is more about the characters than the crime itself. True Detective didn't reveal the prime suspect till the second last episode. Maybe the title could have been bit better, but to witness the slow, creaky cogs of justice turning has been pretty amazing to watch. It's almost like a docu-drama.

I still think the first episode was so good and the rest of the episodes haven't lived up to it, but I'm really digging how different this show is. I want more of a focus on Nas though

I kinda disagree. I think seeing Omar chew up the scenery has been a total delight. I'd love to see more sides of him and his little world, and how he commands so much authority and respect. John Turturro and the rest of the cast is splendid as well. For me the show became more interesting as it went on, the last one being the best so far. So many small touches.

Vire

Really... really could do without the feet bullshit. I cannot believe how long they are dragging this out.

jmood88

I
mean he already admitted to doing drugs and drinking.

He could have easily done it and forgot.
That's a pretty weak reason to feel certain that he did it. The drugs and alcohol make it possible but there's nothing besides his not remembering to say that it's 100% that he's guilty.

Top Bottom