• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Grizzo

My PAL collection is expanding nicely. I just bought a small batch of three games. Most of them are bad (Nagano Winter Olympics and Mission Impossible, though I really wanted to play that one again since I have fond memories of it from when I was 9 years old). And then, there's Blast Corps. My "Rareware N64 set" is almost finished, I'm just missing Mickey's Speedway USA.

Blast Corps looks like a lot of fun ! Just got through 4 stages. Controls are nice and the graphics have a little "bad isometric 3D" feel to it, kinda like a Genesis game. I don't really know how to explain it, but anyway, it's looking good to me.

Rich!

Question about the N64 - baphomet would probably be the best to answer considering I got mine from him lol

I found my old sexy transparent blue N64. Would it be easy to swap the innards of my RGB modded black console over to it? If it wasn't a modded console I would have done it already, but I don't want to fuck anything up.

A transparent blue RGB modded N64 is like the holy grail for me

Also, I'm currently backing up all my GB games and saves onto an SD card via my N64 and a transfer pak with this app: http://lacklustre.net/n64/agbd/ it's actually pretty neat.

Peagles

Question about the N64 - baphomet would probably be the best to answer considering I got mine from him lol

I found my old sexy transparent blue N64. Would it be easy to swap the innards of my RGB modded black console over to it? If it wasn't a modded console I would have done it already, but I don't want to fuck anything up.

A transparent blue RGB modded N64 is like the holy grail for me

Also, I'm currently backing up all my GB games and saves onto an SD card via my N64 and a transfer pak with this app: http://lacklustre.net/n64/agbd/ it's actually pretty neat.

I just saw a cheap console only clear purple N64 and was thinking the same thing. My bapho64 is open right now (I'm trying to get rid of the tabs) and it appears it should be simple to transfer over.

Rich!

I just saw a cheap console only clear purple N64 and was thinking the same thing. My bapho64 is open right now (I'm trying to get rid of the tabs) and it appears it should be simple to transfer over.

Awwwww yeeeaah. I'll have a look at mine tomorrow when I find my gamebit driver.

Only issue may be the tabs - the transparent console is PAL. Does that have the same tabs as the USA console? Last thing I want is to have to deal with the fiddly bastard that is the cartridge flap.

Edit: seems like the tabs are the same. Hooray!

Edit edit: I now have a transparent blue RGB modded N64. Oh yes, it is glorious.

Peagles

Awwwww yeeeaah. I'll have a look at mine tomorrow when I find my gamebit driver.

Only issue may be the tabs - the transparent console is PAL. Does that have the same tabs as the USA console? Last thing I want is to have to deal with the fiddly bastard that is the cartridge flap.

Edit: seems like the tabs are the same. Hooray!

Edit edit: I now have a transparent blue RGB modded N64. Oh yes, it is glorious.

Damnit Rich you're going to make me hit buy now on that purple one soon!

Rich!

Well, it depends on the price. Having had a look at ebay, the transparent consoles are pretty damn expensive. One like mine is around the £40-60 mark.

I wonder how much mine is worth now that it's got new innards? Never selling it of course though!

Peagles

Well, it depends on the price. Having had a look at ebay, the transparent consoles are pretty damn expensive. One like mine is around the £40-60 mark.

I wonder how much mine is worth now that it's got new innards? Never selling it of course though!

This one's $35 NZD, so not too bad. No jumper pak though just the board inside with the purple shell. I think I'll ask for some better pictures though, no point getting one with scratches.

I just started my nem collection for n64, bought a boxed version of perfect dark for 7,50£. Next is jet force gemini,im still trying to find some more Rare games boxed....

Seik

Banned
I want to mod my N64 to have a component output soon enough, a guy I know does it for 80$, I'll pull the trigger soon, composite looks like shit on a HDTV. D:

Grizzo

I want to mod my N64 to have a component output soon enough, a guy I know does it for 80$, I'll pull the trigger soon, composite looks like shit on a HDTV. D:

I saw a N64 already modded on eBay for like 30 euros the other day (that's roughly 55$ I think). Try your luck there, you might find what you're looking for !

televator

Got my RGB N64 from baphomet 666 today!

My impressions:
Colors have a very clean and stark separation from one another. This is immediately apparent in the N64's logo screen. This helps clean up the classically "muddy" aesthetic of N64 games. However there's a bit of a consequence. Did you know that N64 had aliasing and crawling pixels like PS1? I guess composite blurriness worked in masking that... no wonder PS1 games look even more like a broken mosaic when played on my PS3. lol

I opened the N64 to take a quick look on the inside. Bapho has done very discrete work. When you just see it from the top you wouldn't know it was moded. Shining a light near the vent on the underside near the AV contacts I could barely make out some fine wires soldered to the board. The thing that leaves me a bit curious is that I've seen other mods where people use a very conspicuous amp. Without dismantling the 64 further I can't tell if bapho has done some similar thing, but even if he didn't I can't say the N64 needs it. The picture didn't look dark or muted on the two sets I tested on.

Anyway, I'm very happy with this mod. It's just what I needed to have top PQ out of my games. I just have to do something about that NES...

the N64's logo screen
Which one? There isn't a standard one, I don't think, akin to the Genesis's TMSS screen or PS1/Saturn/every-console-since-then's boot screen.

Did you know that N64 had aliasing and crawling pixels like PS1?
If "crawling pixels" is what I think it is, yeah. It's really noticeable during Yoshi's Island for some reason, where there's some flickering around the edges of sprites as they near the edges of other sprites or level geometry, usually pixel-tall, where things look like they're drawing a pixel or two too far to the side. It's a very bizarre effect, one I don't think I've seen at all outside of the N64.

Aliasing, though? Not really, there's generally a solid amount of anti-aliasing everywhere in the games I've tried. It's a low amount, admittedly, but it's very noticeable at the low resolution the N64 runs at.

televator

Which one? There isn't a standard one, I don't think, akin to the Genesis's TMSS screen or PS1/Saturn/every-console-since-then's boot screen.

If "crawling pixels" is what I think it is, yeah. It's really noticeable during Yoshi's Island for some reason, where there's some flickering around the edges of sprites as they near the edges of other sprites or level geometry, usually pixel-tall, where things look like they're drawing a pixel or two too far to the side. It's a very bizarre effect, one I don't think I've seen at all outside of the N64.

Aliasing, though? Not really, there's generally a solid amount of anti-aliasing everywhere in the games I've tried. It's a low amount, admittedly, but it's very noticeable at the low resolution the N64 runs at.

2 games I tried had the static 2D logo. Color really pops in RGB.

The aliasing is definitely there. The thing is though that the AA improves on closer objects. The further away things get from the screen, the more aliased the get. So it's not as bad as the PS1 and neither is the pixel crawl, but they are there.

IrishNinja

^that's really awesome to hear bapho isn't lik that guy who uses a ton of paste on stuff, haha...for real the shots have all looked quality, and N64 on an HDTV is one of the biggest examples of how shit things can look compared to your CRT memories, i loaded it up on upscaled composite once & said nuts to that, totally felt worlds better with a good RGB mod & it's not even a fraction of what say NES can cost for that.

there's so many colorful games i wanna replay with this setup but i keep going back to Mario 64 as my default, haha

Rich!

A game which does look pretty good via RGB is Banjo Tooie:

jhGEi5VXeLLA2.png

not a great photo there, but areas like jolly roger's bay are great looking

baphomet

As far as the question above about swapping the insides into the clear cases, it should be an exact fit for any of the consoles aside from the pikachu models. For Peagles, my local shop had a grape console they offered to me for $50. Not sure what the going rate is but it seems good for a model that ive never seen in person before.

To televator, theres an ths7314 amp in there. Its fairly small though, maybe an inch by an inch including the adapter board. I use hot glue on some of the smaller contacts and the board is held with some double sided tape and a piece of electrical tape over the top to prevent any shorts on the rf shielding.

Edit: Hot glue or epoxy are handy in wire management and small solder points. I shudder thinking about that game-tech video of him opening the rgb nes drakon did (and sold for a very high price). Everything was hot glued down. Even the hot glue was hot glued in place.

IrishNinja

Edit: Hot glue or epoxy are handy in wire management and small solder points. I shudder thinking about that game-tech video of him opening the rgb nes drakon did (and sold for a very high price). Everything was hot glued down. Even the hot glue was hot glued in place.

ahahaha that's the one i was thinking of! oh man, i wish someone woul've shopped in a drunk spider shitting webs everywhere, that's what it looked like. and that was with a Playchoice 10 PPU wasn't it? jesus

baphomet

ahahaha that's the one i was thinking of! oh man, i wish someone woul've shopped in a drunk spider shitting webs everywhere, that's what it looked like. and that was with a Playchoice 10 PPU wasn't it? jesus

Unfortunately it was. He managed to turn like $600 into a pile of hot glue and expensive parts. I would absolutely have done a chargeback if something like that showed up after paying that much for it. The worst part is people dont realize thats what his work is like. Everyone knows his name from looking into rgb mods, but people still pay him stupid amounts for his work. Its madness.

Shun

259689_227770633911369_244374_o.jpg

Oh man I remember this bad boy.

I had
Super Smash Bros.
Mario Kart 64
Hey You Pikachu
Pokemon Stadium 1/2
Mario Party 1/3
Mario Tennis
Kirby: Crystal Shards (Greatest Kirby Game, Fusing Powers)
Everything else I just borrowed.

I loved my N64. Always had parties with it even to this day.

Look at the rarity list some of these games will be harder than others, and prices are all over the place. My most expensive game so far is Transformers Transmetals, it rarely appears on ebay with the box, instructions and cart. I won the auction for $350. Sculptor's Cut I dropped $200 on but the box and manual are in the thousand range.

It's a mixture of in the wild finds, ebay, craigslist, and collector sites. I've been at it since last year and doing what I can, the final rare games will be tough.

televator

As far as the question above about swapping the insides into the clear cases, it should be an exact fit for any of the consoles aside from the pikachu models. For Peagles, my local shop had a grape console they offered to me for $50. Not sure what the going rate is but it seems good for a model that ive never seen in person before.

To televator, theres an ths7314 amp in there. Its fairly small though, maybe an inch by an inch including the adapter board. I use hot glue on some of the smaller contacts and the board is held with some double sided tape and a piece of electrical tape over the top to prevent any shorts on the rf shielding.

Damn, that's some good clean work! How long have you been doing mods?

baphomet

Anyone ever seen the DK64 yellow controller or the Nintendo Power Gold outside of the internet?

Only reason i have is because a friend out here has collected all the variations. He just within the last few weeks got the gold model. Think he said he paid $80 for it. I actually got my jungle green console with the banana controller for $20 for gamestop around 2004 when they were just trying to get rid of that stuff.

zaneiken

Neo Member
I transplanted my RGB-modded N64 board into a transparent grey shell years ago with no issue.

clke.jpg

I also made my own shielded RGB SCART cable (wired for C-Sync), since I was never happy with the audio hum from all of the cables I bought on eBay.

d0lk.jpg

Cody_D165

Banned
My friend bought me a copy of F-Zero X as a late Christmas present.

Why did no one ever tell me F-Zero X was this good? I've played most F-Zero games but steered clear from this one for some reason. It's fantastic.

-KRS-

Yeah F-Zero X was one of those games that surprised me when I got my N64 flashcart. So much that I also ended up buying it. It rocks. I never played it back in the day even though I rented a lot of games back then. It's a solid game even today and it's pretty much a must have for any N64 collector in my opinion.

-KRS-

Didn't know about that mod. I think I'll have to try it out on my 64drive. Thanks for the tip. I have some other F-Zero mods although I can't remember the name of them, but they're all made with the 64DD expansion kit. Seems this one is too but with the addition of new textures as well as new tracks.

It's a shame there aren't more mods/romhacks for the N64 that works on actual hardware. Most of them are only made to work in specific emulators. :(

IrishNinja

^lookin good, hero! much cleaner cut than mine too, haha. i swear that superman cover makes me wanna try it out too, but i gotta find it for sub $5, heh. F-zero stays on my list, how is excite bike 64?

^lookin good, hero! much cleaner cut than mine too, haha. i swear that superman cover makes me wanna try it out too, but i gotta find it for sub $5, heh. F-zero stays on my list, how is excite bike 64?

Excite Bike 64 is a hidden gem on the system, great graphics, smooth gameplay. All around good arcade style racer worthy of any collection. I picked it up in a lot, not thinking much about it and had a lot of fun with it.

Yes Boss!

Excite Bike 64 is a hidden gem on the system, great graphics, smooth gameplay. All around good arcade style racer worthy of any collection. I picked it up in a lot, not thinking much about it and had a lot of fun with it.

Indeed, Excite Bike 64 is one of my most played games. Waited forever for a sequel. Perfect example of Nintendo rubbing some magic off on a crappy developer. Shame they left Nintendo.

Here's my collection of N64 fighting games.

DSCN0818.jpg

Sadly, Killer Instinct Gold is highly underrated as it's probably the best fighting game on the N64.

One of my favorite N64 titles is Wave Race 64. The game still blows me away to this day. In this picture I have the Japanese exclusive Shindou re-release that included support for the Rumble Pak peripheral.

IntheN64.jpg

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I don't suppose anyone wants to buy starcraft 64 PAL?

near perfect condition in box with manual. let me know :)

Grizzo

Here's my collection of N64 fighting games.

DSCN0818.jpg

Sadly, Killer Instinct Gold is highly underrated as it's probably the best fighting game on the N64.

Impressive ! Though Rakuga Kids seems to be missing.

I think it was a JAP & EUROPE only game (which is rare enough to be mentioned). Quirky fighting game by Konami. I love the art style but it's hard to control. Plus there are long and frequent loading times which to me is unacceptable on the N64.

And I couldn't agree more on the Wave Race appreciation part. Still fun to this day !

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Impressive ! Though Rakuga Kids seems to be missing.

I think it was a JAP & EUROPE only game (which is rare enough to be mentioned). Quirky fighting game by Konami. I love the art style but it's hard to control. Plus there are long and frequent loading times which to me is unacceptable on the N64.

And I couldn't agree more on the Wave Race appreciation part. Still fun to this day !

as it should be missing.

my old house mate had it.. played it a few times the other month... it's sooooo bad lol.

Mona

Banned
came in here to say that i still think SM64 controls great, i have no idea how they came up with stuff on their first time up to bat that other developers were still having problems with well in the 2000s.

the long jump for example imo is perfection, thats not even a transfer from the 2D mario games or anything, they just apparently came up with that out of thin air.

but yea, i don't think i'll ever understand how they could have made something so great from something that was effectively their first time at bat with 3D platforming, and as i said, it still controls great today, no clue how they came up with it back then

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just wanted to comment that you may want to ensure that your TV supports 240p through component. I know that's not a guarantee, and it's one of the reasons why Wii VC games were patched to support different resolution modes at some point.

Rich!

Why doesn't a SNES scart cable work on n64? Is the rgb mod that difficult?

Because the N64 does not output RGB. The mainboard has to be modded for the signal to be sent to the AV output.

And I use a SNES RGB SCART cable for my rgb modded n64 and it works fine. I do have the benefit of living in the UK where RGB cables and RGB CRTs are dirt cheap though.

baphomet

Hey rich, can you use a pal snes scart cable on the ntsc n64 you got from me, or are you using an ntsc scart cable? Just curious

Peagles

Hey rich, can you use a pal snes scart cable on the ntsc n64 you got from me, or are you using an ntsc scart cable? Just curious

I'm not rich (in any sense) but I have to use NTSC. I'm going to take the capicators out of another scarrt cable to make it work with my PAL SNES otherwise it just blacks out after a few secons.

Oh actually (EDIT) after I take out the capictors I'll try it on my bapho64!

Because the N64 does not output RGB. The mainboard has to be modded for the signal to be sent to the AV output.

And I use a SNES RGB SCART cable for my rgb modded n64 and it works fine. I do have the benefit of living in the UK where RGB cables and RGB CRTs are dirt cheap though.

sounds like too much hassle/expense. I think S-Video is good enough for N64, plus the blurrier image kind of helps with 3D, I think.

I was happy to just get scart cables and a component converter for SNES and Genesis but the stuff required for NES and N64 seems like too much.

Top Bottom