• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

sounds like too much hassle/expense. I think S-Video is good enough for N64, plus the blurrier image kind of helps with 3D, I think.

I was happy to just get scart cables and a component converter for SNES and Genesis but the stuff required for NES and N64 seems like too much.

lol

After checking the RGB thread, RGB mod is not overkill for NES.
It looks SO much better in RGB.

Rich!

sounds like too much hassle/expense. I think S-Video is good enough for N64, plus the blurrier image kind of helps with 3D, I think.

I was happy to just get scart cables and a component converter for SNES and Genesis but the stuff required for NES and N64 seems like too much.

Says the person who doesn't have an RGB modded N64. Shit is fucking glorious on my 29" CRT.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
here's my humble little collection :)

RXdxc2R.jpg

All PAL....yes. even that one...

don't ask.

br3wnor

What a great thread. The N64 was my first "New" system. I had an NES and Genesis, but those were both hand-me-downs. I still remember the christmas morning opening up the 64 along w/ Goldeneye and just flipping the fuck out. I have to have had at least 1000+ hours in Goldeneye, such an amazing shooter. 1080 was the shit and Starcraft 64 was so awesome playing 2 player (Even though the AI did the same exact thing every match).

Still remember the weekends at my friends house, 6 of us middle schoolers all crammed in his basement taking turns playing 4 player smash brothers. Soda and junk food all around us, getting 'drunk' off each other to the point that we were belligerent hyenas come 4am. Ah, the simple times of being young.

Seik

Banned

I still laugh when I see this video, but my reaction was similar, haha!

My mother made me believe so hard I wouldn't have one for Christmas because it's price was too high and that it was only video games and that it wasn't worth spending so much money.

We were talking about it recently, during Christmas eve, and she's still proud at how much she fooled me and that she was expecting me to go insane when I unwrap it. Damn right I went insane, she had her money's worth alright. :D

baphomet

I was 13 in 1996 and got one for christmas. I didnt jump up and down or yell, but inside i was as stoked as that kid. I already had a ps1, but nothing beat gettin to sit down and play my own copy of super mario 64. A local rental place had imported a japanese console and sm64 and pilotwings so i had already played through a decent portion of the japanese version. I was probably as excited as that kid when i randomly strolled into that place after riding my bike there and seeing they had an n64 for rent like 2 months before the us launch.

Coreda

I love this video because that was my reaction on Christmas morning 1996 too. Parents didn't buy me any games though... had to rent something from Blockbuster lol.

It was a while before I had any games, too. There was a Blockbuster I used to rent new games from. Having sleep-overs and playing new release rental games was the best :)

The Nintendo 64 will be regarded as one of the greatest consoles of all time if merely for this game.

SSBComplete.jpg

The original is still my favorite entry in the series, which makes no logical sense since it's got the worst graphics of the bunch - but does use the N64 pad really well. Maybe it's just that it was so much easier to have friends over and play it back then than it is now where you've got online, and better pads, but the experience just isn't the same no matter how much pizza and soda fills the area.

Ramune

I sadly didn't have a N64 Christmas moment. My Grandmother got me the system on my birthday which was on July...but I didn't have ANY game to play it on until Dec., when she mailed StarFox 64. Of course I knew what the box was and decided to open my present early because, OMG Finally Use The Thing! My parents were NONE too happy with me obviously, but slowly got over it. XD

The original is still my favorite entry in the series, which makes no logical sense since it's got the worst graphics of the bunch - but does use the N64 pad really well. Maybe it's just that it was so much easier to have friends over and play it back then than it is now where you've got online, and better pads, but the experience just isn't the same no matter how much pizza and soda fills the area.
I love all three Super Smash Bros. games but the Nintendo 64 original still holds a special place in my heart.

SuperSmashBrothersCollection.jpg

Just to be clear I have nothing against rgb modding I'm just saying for ne its not worth the hassle of having to build an amp or circuit to get the right video output.

s-video still looks pretty good, too.

The N64 really got me back into gaming.

And man, what a reminder about how Rare was such a star and then became mediocre after Microsoft bought them.

Grizzo

Ding! Ding! And We Have a Winner!

Here are some of my more valuable games in my N64 collection.

IMG_0241_zps9fdef914.jpg

Oh, you got Mario Party 3 ! It is so expensive in PAL region. Like 80 euros for the loose cartridge (which is roughly 110 dollars). At this price, I may never ever get it. I already forked out so much money just for Conker Bad Fur Day.

And let's not even talk about StarCraft 64 (which I don't own)...

boyshine

Oh, you got Mario Party 3 ! It is so expensive in PAL region. Like 80 euros for the loose cartridge (which is roughly 110 dollars). At this price, I may never ever get it. I already forked out so much money just for Conker Bad Fur Day.

And let's not even talk about StarCraft 64 (which I don't own)...

Um... try ebay.de

Man, I'm reminded that I should have bought Conker's Bad Fur Day when Toys "Я" Us had dozens of copies for around $2. Oh, well.

Anyway, since I haven't posted in here for a while, here's a recent picture of the current state of my collection:

I think Mischief Makers is the only thing I've bought since the last time I posted. I bought it off of televator a few months back for $6.
I was planning to buy it boxed, but I couldn't really find any boxed copies at the time (and if I did, they were around $50+), so I went ahead and got it loose, because I really wanted to play it.

Star Wars Episode I: Racer came with a system bundle. It was my family's second N64. I don't know why we had two, though. Heh.

Games I'm still planning to get at some point:

-Blast Corps
-Castlevania
-Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
-Conker's Bad Fur Day
-Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
-Killer Instinct Gold
-Mario Golf
-Mario Tennis
-NFL Blitz
-Ridge Racer 64
-The World Is Not Enough

I'd also like Majora's Mask at some point, even though I have the GameCube version already...though it's not a priority. I can't remember anything else I really wanted to get off the top of my head. This is stuff I wrote down on Notepad a while back. I have a list of games to get for all consoles. Hah.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Having 64 N64 games should be the goal of everyone with the system. Tons of good stuff to choose from.

boyshine

Having 64 N64 games should be the goal of everyone with the system. Tons of good stuff to choose from.

Okay. This will be my goal for 2014. I currently have 30. I really doubt there are 34 more worth owning, but.. if you say so! :p

Edit: Where's the Atari 7800 thread?

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
I really doubt there are 34 more worth owning, but.. if you say so! :p

I beg to differ.

Granted most of them are from Nintendo, Rare, Midway or just Wrassling games.
AKI ones only. Others are trash.

Fox Mulder

Just to be clear I have nothing against rgb modding I'm just saying for ne its not worth the hassle of having to build an amp or circuit to get the right video output.

s-video still looks pretty good, too.

you spend lots of money on this hobby, might as well get optimal visuals out of it if you can.

I read how awesome rgb was, but only really started caring after I found a 29 inch Sony pvm for $20. The damn cables cost far more than that though.

Now I have an itch to go searching for as many N64 games that I can. I've always wanted to find a later version of the Gameshark for the N64 since I had a very early version that only worked with earlier games. I really wanted to try some of the beta stuff from what people found using the GS for Zelda games, the later Rare games, etc.

Ding! Ding! And We Have a Winner!

Here are some of my more valuable games in my N64 collection.

IMG_0241_zps9fdef914.jpg

I remember seeing Sculptor's Cut at a local EB Games shop for like $20 many years ago and I wanted it so bad, but I didn't have money on me at the time. *sigh*

Grizzo

Um... try ebay.de

Are all PAL N64 cartridges avalaible in all european languages ? Because I once bought Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Land from a german eBayer and the game was in German only.

Mind you, I didn't really care since Yoshi's Island is not about the story, but that would be a problem in such a text-heavy game as Mario Party 3.

boyshine

Are all PAL N64 cartridges avalaible in all european languages ? Because I once bought Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Land from a german eBayer and the game was in German only.

Mind you, I didn't really care since Yoshi's Island is not about the story, but that would be a problem in such a text-heavy game as Mario Party 3.
There might be a few, but most are multilingual afaik. Just ask the seller if unsure. Biggest issue I have as a collector is the languages on the box. But I don't think I've come across a N64 game w/o english ingame language yet. I've bought a few from both Germany and France.

Social

I remember buying Mario Party and then returning it because the game had very low polygon models. Mario looked nothing like he did in Mario 64! It was such a letdown.

Same thing happened with Smash Brothers.

My young mind couldn't understand the reason for the terrible low poly models at the time.

Good times!

D-e-f-

Banned

Check rom sites. A certain one lists the languages for every version next to the title. Not posting a link 'cuz piracy rules obv.

Recall

This is my N64 [pal] collection.

The amount of carts I've ended up with writing on them is mind blowing. I have no idea why people do it and hide it in listings etc.

I remember buying Mario Party and then returning it because the game had very low polygon models. Mario looked nothing like he did in Mario 64! It was such a letdown.

Same thing happened with Smash Brothers.

My young mind couldn't understand the reason for the terrible low poly models at the time.

Good times!

lol, Mario in SM64 had a lot of polygons for the time. Even though you wouldn't expect it, the n64 model actually has more polys than the DS model in SM64DS. I guess they spent a lot of resources on trying to make his nose as round as possible.

I've always wanted to find a later version of the Gameshark for the N64 since I had a very early version that only worked with earlier games. I really wanted to try some of the beta stuff from what people found using the GS for Zelda games, the later Rare games, etc.
Here's a picture of my Gameshark collection which includes two 3.2 versions.

Gamesharks.jpg

As some of you have stated, I really miss cartridges.

boyshine

OK, so it turned out I actually have 34 N64 games, not just 30.

This is my current collection:

1 1080° Snowboarding
2 Banjo-Kazooie
3 Banjo-Tooie
4 Beetle Adventure Racing
5 Blast Corps
6 Conker's Bad Fur Day
7 Diddy Kong Racing
8 Donkey Kong 64
9 Doom 64
10 Excite Bike 64
11 F-Zero X
12 FIFA 99
13 FIFA World Cup 98
14 GoldenEye 007
15 Hybrid Heaven
16 International Superstar Soccer 2000
17 Jet Force Gemini
18 Killer Instinct Gold
19 Lylat Wars
20 Mario Kart 64
21 Mickey's Speedway USA
22 Mischief Makers
23 Mortal Kombat 4
24 NBA Jam 99
25 Paper Mario
26 Perfect Dark
27 Quake II
28 Ridge Racer 64
29 Star Wars Episode I: Racer
30 Super Mario 64
31 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
32 The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
33 World Driver Championship
34 Yoshi's Story

This is my to-get list:

35 007 The World is not Enough
36 Body Harvest
37 Clay Fighter 63 1/3
38 Command & Conquer
39 Mission: Impossible
40 Pilotwings 64
41 Rayman 2: The Great Escape
42 Resident Evil 2
43 Snowboard Kids
44 Snowboard Kids 2
45 Spacestation Silicon Valley
46 Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo
47 Star Wars Rogue Squadron
48 Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
49 Starcraft 64
50 Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
51 Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
52 Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion
53 Turok Rage Wars (only to complete the series)
54 Wave Race 64
55 WipEout 64
56 ?
57 ?
58 ?
59 ?
60 ?
61 ?
62 ?
63 ?
64 ?

As you can see, I'm still missing a few to get to the magic number of 64, so I turn to NeoGAF for advice. But before you start suggesting games I thought I'd list my criterias:

1. I'm looking for games that I either have fond memories of playing or wanted to play, but never got the chance. These games are already on the list.

2. I'm not interested in multiplayer games. That's why games like Mario Party or Super Smash Bros. are not on my list.

3. Only PAL games.

4. No games related to american football, baseball or wrestling.

5. Some games (like Rage Wars) can be there just to complete a series, but I do not want to buy entire series just to reach my number. The majority of the games belonging to each series must be worth playing.

That's all. Open for suggestions.

Did Ogre Battle get a PAL release? If so, get that. Personal favorite 64 game, and it should appeal to your single player sensibilities.

There are lots of good N64 games... but if you want some games that weren't released in the US, Rakuga Kids and Taz Express might be worth a look. The latter one is one of only four PAL-exclusive N64 games, but the other three are two F1 games (F1 WGP II and F1 Racing Championship) and Premiere Manager 64, and from your list it doesn't sound like that stuff interests you. (Rakuga Kids, Airboarder 64, and Centre Court Tennis are the only PAL/JP but not US releases. I don't know if the tennis game is good, but Airboarder 64 is supposed to be not so great.)

daydream

Banned

Only had a quick glance, but I would add Bomberman Hero and Bomberman 64, two excellent SP Bomberman games. Unfortunately, we never got The Second Attack.

I'm a fan of Rocket: Robot on Wheels. Tetrisphere and Goemon also deserve a mention. In terms of kart racers, there's the underrated (imo) Lego Racers. I own the N64 version, but as a kid, I only played a friend's copy on PS1. Not sure which version is superior.

I'm guessing you're not so much into Pokemon?

Top Bottom