• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Is Project 64 still the best N64 Emulator?
Still use PJ64K to play Smash 64 online all the time. That being said, it's not the "best" emulator, just the most common one that stuck around and has least issues for most people.

Mupen, for example, is a better emulator but more resource intensive than PJ64.

There are several emulators/plugins that do that on N64/PS1 too.

For N64, i already mentioned Retroarch + the lowest resolution setting in the core options.
I don't think I've used that emulator. How does it compare to PJ64 as far as compatibility goes? PJ64's is bad and the emulator hasn't changed in at least a decade, but no one else has worked much on N64 emulation since as far as I know...

And as far as visuals, it can't actually do native resolution of course -- I mean, modern computers can't display the 320x240 that many N64 games run at! I presume you mean scaled? That would help, but doesn't SSF do more than just the resolution to make its graphics look like a real Saturn? I've never seen an N64 emulator or plugin that even attempts to make the visuals look like the real thing.

For PSX its very easy actually. pSX emulator renders the games in the same way SSF does (native res) and for epsxe you can use Pete's OpenGL plugin and in the resolution settings you choose "Native PSX Resolution" option.
Again, would just the resolution really solve the whole problem? I know that's a part of it, but I'm kind of skeptical... though it is true that it's been years since I played games emulated very often, buying a large collection of real old consoles made me lose a lot of interest in emulating them. :)

SKINNER!

Banned
Guys, correct me if I'm wrong (And apologies if it was discussed earlier) but was there ever a hack using Pokemon Stadium and the transfer pack that allowed you to play any gameboy game on the N64? Trying to settle an argument with a friend here.

Rich!

Guys, correct me if I'm wrong (And apologies if it was discussed earlier) but was there ever a hack using Pokemon Stadium and the transfer pack that allowed you to play any gameboy game on the N64? Trying to settle an argument with a friend here.

Yep, used it myself.

Just need to change the header of the GB ROM to the one Pokemon uses.

Find proof if you wish on the everdrive 64 forums.

Mercutio

How does Mega Man 64 stack up with Legends (PS1)?

Not as well. Reduced draw distance, and some very strange glitches. The audio in the 64 version is also crazy compressed, and a lot of special features / animation has been removed.

But hey, I hear the 64 version has rumble!

Not as well. Reduced draw distance, and some very strange glitches. The audio in the 64 version is also crazy compressed, and a lot of special features / animation has been removed.

But hey, I hear the 64 version has rumble!

Jeez, sounds like a shit port! I was hoping for some improvements 'cuz the texture warping is out of control on PS1.

Mercutio

Jeez, sounds like a shit port! I was hoping for some improvements 'cuz the texture warping is out of control on PS1.

It does have anti-aliasing slathered all over it. But, given the reduction in draw distance, I'd pick sharp but warping textures any day.

I did find these:
PSX_VS_N64___megaman_legends___by_Elias1986.png

cacildo

Does everybody agrees that N64 games looks better on Wii VC than on a real N64?

(i mean, have it been discussed to death?)

i couldnt compare a same game in both, but i fired up Sin and Punishment VC the other night and it looks great. Wave Race too, bright, vibrant colors

Caladrius

Does everybody agrees that N64 games looks better on Wii VC than on a real N64?

(i mean, have it been discussed to death?)

i couldnt compare a same game in both, but i fired up Sin and Punishment VC the other night and it looks great. Wave Race too, bright, vibrant colors

Paper Mario looks worse than its 64 release (with more polygonal drawing errors than the original). That said, it has a more consistent framerate at least.

On the positive side, the N64 version has much better-looking graphics, as that screenshot shows. Smooting out those horrible jaggies and getting rid of the popping polygons does wonders! Also it has rumble support.

On the bad side, it's a super-shoddy port. I have no idea how such a bad port managed to take three years to release, versus when the original PS1 version shipped, but it doesn't say great things about Capcom. Why were many areas made smaller? There's no good excuse for this! I highly doubt that those areas were too large for the N64 to handle, certainly. Also, they didn't bother with actual analog controls, sadly. Sure, you can use the analog stick, but it's still all-or-nothing digital controls. Considering that this is a 3d game, this is very disappointing. As for the draw distance, I guess it's slightly less, but I think the reduced area sizes is the bigger issue; draw distance is good enough on N64. That does help show even more how shoddy the porting job was, though. I know the N64 and PS1 are quite different, and the PS1 does have higher average polygon counts, but this isn't exactly the most complex-looking game, and there's no excuse for the draw distance reduction either.

Even so, thanks to the much better-looking graphics, the game is definitely more pleasant to play on the N64 if polygon seam errors bother you, as they do me.

For real? Because I'm still using P64 since so many years and I didn't know Mupen surpassed it.

PJ64 is now the ZSNES of N64 emulation: People keep using it because they still think that is the best emulator available because you read that in 2006. Mupen needs more CPU but it has pretty much better compatiblity and quality, also a lot of games that didn't work properly in PJ64 works good on Mupen like Mystical Ninja 64 and Yoshi's Story without messing too much on the plugins. I recommend use Mupen64Plus and keep PJ64 just in case.

More info here by the way: http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_64_emulators

Mercutio

I dunno if I'd say the graphics are better in MegaMan 64. I feel like a lot of the design in the textures rely on the pixelated detail... it's part of the charm. Seeing those same textures smeared like crazy ruins them.

I dunno if I'd say the graphics are better in MegaMan 64. I feel like a lot of the design in the textures rely on the pixelated detail... it's part of the charm. Seeing those same textures smeared like crazy ruins them.

Horrendous pixelization and warping isn't "charm", it's ugly! That pair of screenshots there is like a night and day difference, the N64 one absolutely destroys the PS1, particularly when you compare Mega Man's character models -- the PS1 Mega Man looks kind of painful to look at compared to the N64...

Seik

Banned
PJ64 is now the ZSNES of N64 emulation: People keep using it because they still think that is the best emulator available because you read that in 2006. Mupen needs more CPU but it has pretty much better compatiblity and quality, also a lot of games that didn't work properly in PJ64 works good on Mupen like Mystical Ninja 64 and Yoshi's Story without messing too much on the plugins. I recommend use Mupen64Plus and keep PJ64 just in case.

More info here by the way: http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/Nintendo_64_emulators

Thanks, I'll definitely give it a shot this week-end. :D

Looks like my RGB-modded N64 isn't outputting video anymore. Awkward. Did double-check it wasn't the cable, by plugging in a cable that'd been hooked into a nearby SNES, but nope, nothin'. (Said cable works fine plugged into the SNES itself, of course, checked that too.)

nkarafo

And as far as visuals, it can't actually do native resolution of course -- I mean, modern computers can't display the 320x240 that many N64 games run at! I presume you mean scaled? That would help, but doesn't SSF do more than just the resolution to make its graphics look like a real Saturn? I've never seen an N64 emulator or plugin that even attempts to make the visuals look like the real thing.
SSF doesn't change the monitor resolution either. So with retroarch, its the same thing. You just chose the lowest resolution in the core options, but your monitor resolution stays the same. The emulator, however, displays the graphics as if they were on a low resolution display. Add a simple scanlines effect from the shader options and you have something pretty close to a real N64, at least an RGB modded one :p

No, Mupen is definitely better.
I don't know how you end up with this conclusion. I have tested both emulators with many games and i can say for sure that PJ64 is better. Version 2.1 has some terrible default settings but if you fiddle with each game independently, you can have many more working games, with less glitches, than Mupen. Of course, its a given that you never use the default plugins. Always use Glide 64 final as a default, no matter the emulator. And keep a few sound plugins to be able to choose, as some games have sound crackles with some and not with others. PJ64 2.1 gives you the option to save different plugins for different games, so you don't have to change plugins all the time once you find the right ones for each game. And always restart the emulator before emulating a different game.

also a lot of games that didn't work properly in PJ64 works good on Mupen like Mystical Ninja 64 and Yoshi's Story without messing too much on the plugins.
Except that both Mystical Ninja 64 and Yoshi's Story work fine on PJ64 1.6 and 2.1. The water GFX errors in Yoshi are plugin related.

Mercutio

Looks like my RGB-modded N64 isn't outputting video anymore. Awkward. Did double-check it wasn't the cable, by plugging in a cable that'd been hooked into a nearby SNES, but nope, nothin'. (Said cable works fine plugged into the SNES itself, of course, checked that too.)

This JUST happened to me too! Video was fine a week ago. Last night? Nothing! From either Composite or RGB! No sound either. Something's really gone wrong in there!

Retro game store recently opened in town. I've been waiting for such a place to open.

My haul from my first trip

Beetle Adventure Racing
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Off Road Challenge
Wipeout 64
Goldeneye

Needless to say, i'm very happy

-KRS-

Some great games there, DownWithTheShip!

*owns an N64 for a decade*
*today is the first time owning a controller pak*

Damned Doom 64.

I thought the controller pak was optional in Doom 64. IIRC you get a password that you can also just write down and the controller pak basically just saves the password for you. Still though, yeah you really should have one. :p

And yes, Doom 64 is excellent. I recently played Doom 1 again on the PC and I have to say that I really missed the atmosphere that Doom 64 has. It just seems so much more fitting.

nkarafo

Some great games there, DownWithTheShip!

I thought the controller pak was optional in Doom 64. IIRC you get a password that you can also just write down and the controller pak basically just saves the password for you. Still though, yeah you really should have one. :p

And yes, Doom 64 is excellent. I recently played Doom 1 again on the PC and I have to say that I really missed the atmosphere that Doom 64 has. It just seems so much more fitting.
Yeah, awesome game, but i remember back then i was let down by the lack of reload animations for the shotguns. That was like the 50% of what made the original Doom/Doom2 so great to watch, at least when i saw them for the first time. I remember CVG magazine having the same feelings, giving the game a very bad review.

Peagles

Anyone gonna pick up an Everdrive 64 3.0? I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend the extra cash on upgrading mine.

I literally just got my V2 and was a bit bummed out to see the V3 come out so quickly, but it seems the only real upgrade is not having to reset for cart saves. Not sure if that's worth the extra $50 or so for me.

cacildo

Anyone gonna pick up an Everdrive 64 3.0? I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend the extra cash on upgrading mine.

What´s new?

EDIT: i made a comparsion between V2 and V3 features list and here is what´s new in V3:

-High compatibility. Near to 100% compatibility with n64 game library
-256Kbyte battery RAM (Save RAM)
-RTC (real time clock)
-Game pak saves does not require reset

And where can i buy it and ship to canada?

I literally just got my V2 and was a bit bummed out to see the V3 come out so quickly, but it seems the only real upgrade is not having to reset for cart saves. Not sure if that's worth the extra $50 or so for me.
Yeah, that's where I'm at too. But I like supporting his work. Ah, well maybe I'll wait until the GBA Everdrive comes out and see how I feel then.

And where can i buy it and ship to canada?
I imagine Retrogate ships to Canada, and best of all it goes into Krizz's pocket directly.

*Shook my head in disbelief*

Doom 64 got only average reviews. It became more popular later on, many years after its release... at the time though, it was criticized for just being more Doom, while people wanted games which pushed the genre forward, like Turok (which was, in early/mid '97, much more successful!), or, of course, Goldeneye a bit later in the year.

Mercutio

This JUST happened to me too! Video was fine a week ago. Last night? Nothing! From either Composite or RGB! No sound either. Something's really gone wrong in there!

Well, I cleaned the whole thing out and it's totally fine now. Must have been something in the cart slot blocking a contact.

*shrugs wildly*

Definitely wasn't my mod though! RGB is glorious on this thing.

cacildo

Doom 64 got only average reviews. It became more popular later on, many years after its release... at the time though, it was criticized for just being more Doom, while people wanted games which pushed the genre forward, like Turok (which was, in early/mid '97, much more successful!), or, of course, Goldeneye a bit later in the year.

eheh, its funny how "more doom" was a bad thing back then but now we are so starved for good games that more Doom would be GOLD

nkarafo

I also remember this game getting average reviews in general. Seems that in 1997 people were sick of Doom and "Doom clones" and wanted more of the "new generation" FPS games like Turok and Goldeneye. Its funny, however, that Doom 64 aged better than those games.

nkarafo

Just imagine, in 15 years we'll be craving for some throwback CoD and AssCreed. Dat retro goodness.
I highly doubt it. At least for CoD. What Doom has that hasn't really been bettered by the newer generation FPSes is the superb level design. The levels themselves were an even bigger enemy than the monsters. Trying to solve them was half of the game's point. Heck, only the fact that it's not a straight line is enough for gamers today to demand more Doom goodness.

And then you still have other aspects like the superb enemy design, atmosphere, sound design and even the soundtrack.

TheMoon

I highly doubt it. At least for CoD. What Doom has that hasn't really been bettered by the newer generation FPSes is the superb level design. The levels themselves were an even bigger enemy than the monsters. Trying to solve them was half of the game's point. Heck, only the fact that it's not a straight line is enough for gamers today to demand more Doom goodness.

And then you still have other aspects like the superb enemy design, atmosphere, sound design and even the soundtrack.

I wasn't really serious. Just a bit. :) ... I've had my first YouTube nostalgia moment the other day. That blew my mind that this was now a thing that is possible, to be nostalgic for something that happened exclusively on YT almost a decade ago. Kinda freaked me out. Hence why I joked about CoD/AC nostalgia from the now-kids-then-young-adults.

I also remember this game getting average reviews in general. Seems that in 1997 people were sick of Doom and "Doom clones" and wanted more of the "new generation" FPS games like Turok and Goldeneye. Its funny, however, that Doom 64 aged better than those games.
I definitely agree that Doom 64 is better than people then gave it credit for, but I at least think that Turok is also a great game for sure... and Goldeneye's good too, even if Perfect Dark is a better version of the same thing.

nkarafo

I definitely agree that Doom 64 is better than people then gave it credit for, but I at least think that Turok is also a great game for sure... and Goldeneye's good too, even if Perfect Dark is a better version of the same thing.
Well of course they are great games. But the thing is that Doom has a style and design that hasn't been bettered much, FPS games just did different things and went on different directions/goals. These games continue to improve today but there are very few games that tried to be like Doom, Painkiller being the closest thing IMO. That's why Doom (any version) is still very playable today.

For a 2D raycasted engine game its still one of the best looking so it also has aged very well visually. While the 3D textured polygons of Turok and Goldeneye have been surpassed by a very long margin and today they look like ancient relics.

What everyone else said was true, but at least the N64 version has analog control, PS1 version makes me sad that it is d-pad only. I just remember that being a little bit better, maybe I'm an edge case because I started playing on the N64, haha.

TheMoon

What everyone else said was true, but at least the N64 version has analog control, PS1 version makes me sad that it is d-pad only. I just remember that being a little bit better, maybe I'm an edge case because I started playing on the N64, haha.

but I thought it hadn't, according to posts in this thread. unless you count just supporting the analog stick in itself "analog control" even if the input is just registered as a binary yes/no.

but I thought it hadn't, according to posts in this thread. unless you count just supporting the analog stick in itself "analog control" even if the input is just registered as a binary yes/no.

You are correct, that's exactly how the analog stick works in Mega Man 64. You can use the stick, but control is definitely not proportional.

Tapejara

Finally decided I want to start an N64 collection. I've never owned the console, so I'm looking forward to playing the games I missed.

My copies of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire and HeXen just arrived, tomorrow I'm planning to go out and buy an N64 and hopefully another game. I've heard good things about Mario 64 :p! I'm not really interested in the Zelda games, but I think they might be worth picking up just because they're so iconic.

Top Bottom