• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

TheMoon

Finally decided I want to start an N64 collection. I've never owned the console, so I'm looking forward to playing the games I missed.

I'm not really interested in the Zelda games, but I think they might be worth picking up just because they're so iconic.

You could play far better versions of those on 3DS (at least for Ocarina, with Majora's remake announcement being a shoe-in for next year, its 10th anniversary). Just sayin'.

Tapejara

You could play far better versions of those on 3DS (at least for Ocarina, with Majora's remake announcement being a shoe-in for next year, its 10th anniversary). Just sayin'.

Yeah, but I'm not gonna be picking up a 3DS until the new model hits North America. Besides, it'd be nice to have the original versions in my (currently meager) collection.

Hedgey

I'm currently living in Japan. Found this odd Pokemon 64 case at a local used retro store. Any idea what this would be used for? The indent on the left kind of looks like a controller. Not sure about the rest.

c7ImF.jpg

c7Izj.jpg

I'm currently living in Japan. Found this odd Pokemon 64 case at a local used retro store. Any idea what this would be used for? The indent on the left kind of looks like a controller. Not sure about the rest.

Those two spaces on the right are pretty clearly for the Hey You Pikachu microphone and microphone receiver. I don't know about those two shapes above the controller, though... could the cartridge fit in the upper lefthand space, and the clear plastic holder thing on the upper middle space?

If you don't know the games' components: http://www.thestrong.org/online-collections/images/Z002/Z00216/Z0021641.jpg http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/W_e10ZVHcDPuZ5u_RcGcIQ Notice how the clear plastic piece goes on the back of the controller, as a microphone clip.

Hedgey

Those two spaces on the right are pretty clearly for the Hey You Pikachu microphone and microphone receiver. I don't know about those two shapes above the controller, though... could the cartridge fit in the upper lefthand space, and the clear plastic holder thing on the upper middle space?

Thanks for the insight. Seems like an odd thing to make a case for, hahaha. Leave it to Japan to do it I guess

The middle top left kind of looks like the controller adapter that let you plug in gameboy games. The bottom left kinda looks like the iQue 64 shape.

cacildo

Had to plug my n64 into my smaller tv, since ive moved last week

It looks a lot better than on my big tv. Both are plasma, but the smaller one isnt 1080p (it reaches only 720p)

Maybe that have something to do with the games looking better

Had to plug my n64 into my smaller tv, since ive moved last week

It looks a lot better than on my big tv. Both are plasma, but the smaller one isnt 1080p (it reaches only 720p)

Maybe that have something to do with the games looking better

I think 240p perfectly quad scales to 720p or something?

Soup Bar

I figured it was about time I took a couple pictures of my shitty looking collection. I only buy loose carts and some of them look pretty bad because they were either very cheap or given to me. Like Indiana Jones has a sticker right over the label, but it was 5 dollars. Also my Conker might have writing over it, but it was 35 back in 2002. I'll take it.

I love this stupid system. Everyone is moving on to CDs but Nintendo is like "Nope, we are going to do whatever the fuck we want." I still got more playtime out of this than my Playstation at the time.

-KRS-

I figured it was about time I took a couple pictures of my shitty looking collection. I only buy loose carts and some of them look pretty bad because they were either very cheap or given to me. Like Indiana Jones has a sticker right over the label, but it was 5 dollars. Also my Conker might have writing over it, but it was 35 back in 2002. I'll take it.

I love this stupid system. Everyone is moving on to CDs but Nintendo is like "Nope, we are going to do whatever the fuck we want." I still got more playtime out of this than my Playstation at the time.

That's not a shitty collection at all! Seems to include pretty much every must-have game there. And you could probably get that writing on Conker off if you wanted to with some sort of solvent. Just be careful with the label.

Soup Bar

That's not a shitty collection at all! Seems to include pretty much every must-have game there. And you could probably get that writing on Conker off if you wanted to with some sort of solvent. Just be careful with the label.

There's also a blockbuster sticker on the back. Their games were cheap but they liked to ruin them with labels.

Rich!

Just an update on GlideN64.

The project was fully funded, is still on track for wide release in January, and the dev is making really good progress.

He's just got mipmapping working perfectly, and amazingly, its the first time an N64 emulator/plugin has ever managed that.

The project was fully funded, is still on track for wide release in January, and the dev is making really good progress.

He's just got mipmapping working perfectly, and amazingly, its the first time an N64 emulator/plugin has ever managed that.

So excited for this, hopefully this finally means some descent N64 emulation. Will it be free once its released or backers only?

Rich!

So excited for this, hopefully this finally means some descent N64 emulation. Will it be free once its released or backers only?

backers get it early. it'll be free upon general release.

and yeah, it'll be decent! the issue with N64 emulation is the graphics more than anything. It's a complete clusterfuck. With this, each game will be at minimum equivalent to how it looks on the real thing. Put together with Retroarch, a decent CRT filter and native resolution, it'll be amazing.

anyhow, this is an example of the mipmapping:

This above is how Perfect Dark currently looks on N64 emulators. Look at the floor - the texture should taper out until the end to give a feel of perspective and distance...but it doesn't.

Now, this above is how it looks via glideN64. See how the effect is now working, just like on the real console?

Yes. It's taken almost two decades to get this shit working. N64 emulation is a joke right now - but this will fix everything.

and yeah, it'll be decent! the issue with N64 emulation is the graphics more than anything. It's a complete clusterfuck. With this, each game will be at minimum equivalent to how it looks on the real thing. Put together with Retroarch, a decent CRT filter and native resolution, it'll be amazing.

anyhow, this is an example of the mipmapping:

This above is how Perfect Dark currently looks on N64 emulators. Look at the floor - the texture should taper out until the end to give a feel of perspective and distance...but it doesn't.

Now, this above is how it looks via glideN64. See how the effect is now working, just like on the real console?

Yes. It's taken almost two decades to get this shit working. N64 emulation is a joke right now - but this will fix everything.

Where do you go for updates on this? and can I still back the project?

cacildo

It is possible to run Retroarch on Wii and then use this new emulator on it?

Because really... i want to use this new emulator... but on a tv.

ALSO: what about PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2 emulation? It feels the years pass and they share the same N64 situation: emulators just wont evolve.

Rich!

It is possible to run Retroarch on Wii and then use this new emulator on it?

Because really... i want to use this new emulator... but on a tv.

It's not an emulator. It's a graphical plugin.

N64 emulation, by and large, works via modular plugins. The sound is controlled by one plugin, the inputs by another and the graphics by another. This is a new graphical plugin that aims to be as close to the real console as possible.

Now, it will appear in retroarch if its integrated in the mupen64 core. However, it will not run on the Wii, as that version does not support N64 cores in retroarch. Anyhow. I use my PC hooked up to my HDTV for retroarch. do that!

Also, PS1 emulation in retroarch is fantastic. For example:

just took that screenshot. look at that amazing filter, damn. And keeping things on-topic, here is N64 via Retroarch in native resolution with a CRT filter:

once GlideN64 is out, it'll be the closest you can get to the RGB modded real thing

ramparter

Banned

I only wish this will allow me to play DK64 properly finally :)

the texture should taper out until the end to give a feel of perspective and distance
Pretty sure this isn't why mip-mapping is used; it's used so you're not wasting precious time sampling a large texture on a very-small polygon.

I want to say the other image looks better, since I'm not a fan of textures becoming that blurry that close by. I mean, that is a side-effect of mip-mapping, so it's not a bad sign that implementing mip-mapping's produced it; it just seems to start blurring sooner than I'd have expected. I could also just be spoiled with anisotropic filtering designed to combat that exact issue without introducing the Moire effect present in the "no-mipmapping" image.

ALSO: what about PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2 emulation? It feels the years pass and they share the same N64 situation: emulators just wont evolve.
SSF's plenty awesome, though. I mean, yeah, not perfect (for instance, Clockwork Knight 2 broke at some point and AFAIK hasn't recovered since), but otherwise, it's very close to authentic.

Rich!

Eh, I'm not versed in this at all. I'm taking my description straight from the developer's blog.

And regardless of whether it looks better or not to you, it's far closer to the actual hardware than before. If you dont like it, which is fine, you can turn LOD off.

cacildo

We need a console, like that "Retro5" or something, to allow everybody to play emulated games on a tv, using original cartriges/CDs

What i really want is an up-res, more bright N64, able to play the cartrige i already own, on my tv. The other systems should come as a bonus.

I would pay good money on it. And i bet everybody would want one. Imagine, playing N64, PS1, Saturn games on your tv, using original controllers, but up-res. No more jaggies, no more muddy colors. Everybody would want that

We need a console, like that "Retro5" or something, to allow everybody to play emulated games on a tv, using original cartriges/CDs

What i really want is an up-res, more bright N64, able to play the cartrige i already own, on my tv. The other systems should come as a bonus.

I would pay good money on it. And i bet everybody would want one. Imagine, playing N64, PS1, Saturn games on your tv, using original controllers, but up-res. No more jaggies, no more muddy colors. Everybody would want that

But how would they do that with the current state of emulators?

Mercutio

I don't think you understand what a lot of us want out of older games. For some of us, we want the experience as the original hardware presented it, warts and all. We push original hardware as far as we can, but take great pride in playing our software on the machines designed to play it, as the developers created it.

ALM5252

I want that too. :)

One of the reasons I use the Wii for N64 games. I also got one of those controller adapters.

cacildo

I don't think you understand what a lot of us want out of older games. For some of us, we want the experience as the original hardware presented it, warts and all. We push original hardware as far as we can, but take great pride in playing our software on the machines designed to play it, as the developers created it.

I want that too. :)

One of the reasons I use the Wii for N64 games. I also got one of those controller adapters.

Thats part of the charm of the N64.
But I would want that as well.

Its not that i think the original N64 graphics are unbearable, unplayable. Far from that.

But there´s 2 points that make those graphics harder for me today

- First is the fact that i am older, my eyes are not the same. (I also think my hands are not the same, since im playing Turok 2 for weeks and still have a terrible time aiming)

- Second there´s this problem with HD tv. Every tv we have now is HD. "But why dont you get a CRTttttt" because my apartment is small, i have 2 HD tvs, i cant just go and buy an old CRT tv and cram it at the side of my other tv.
And yes, as much as my older HD tv makes the N64 look a little better... it still terrible, dark as hell.

beanman25

Guys! I more collect SNES, but I thought I'd ask if anyone was trading or selling VPW2? I'm a huge fan of the wrestling titles but never was able to try this one.

Finally got my N64 from home, hooked it all up and works!

Was amazed after hearing so much about how it would look awful, SCART cable (non RGB) straight into my LCD it didn't look awful! More than good enough for a game of No Mercy!

-KRS-

Finally got my N64 from home, hooked it all up and works!

Was amazed after hearing so much about how it would look awful, SCART cable (non RGB) straight into my LCD it didn't look awful! More than good enough for a game of No Mercy!

It depends a lot on the TV. Most HDTVs, especially bugdet TVs, have terrible upscalers built in which makes retro games look like crap. But there are TVs with decent upscalers, especially high-end TVs released around 2007-2008 or so tend to have pretty good upscalers because HD content was still not terribly common by then. A lot of newer TVs can't even handle <480i signals properly at all, making the picture jumpy and unstable etc. So you should be glad your TV handles it well. :)

It depends a lot on the TV. Most HDTVs, especially bugdet TVs, have terrible upscalers built in which makes retro games look like crap. But there are TVs with decent upscalers, especially high-end TVs released around 2007-2008 or so tend to have pretty good upscalers because HD content was still not terribly common by then. A lot of newer TVs can't even handle <480i signals properly at all, making the picture jumpy and unstable etc. So you should be glad your TV handles it well. :)

Ooof, planning on upgrading my TV next year, might have to keep the old one around if that's the case.

-KRS-

Ooof, planning on upgrading my TV next year, might have to keep the old one around if that's the case.

I also see more and more often that a lot of newer HDTVs don't even have any SCART inputs! I really hope that some manufacturer starts making new CRTs again for the enthusiast market at some point.

Coreda

Also, PS1 emulation in retroarch is fantastic. For example:

just took that screenshot. look at that amazing filter, damn. And keeping things on-topic, here is N64 via Retroarch in native resolution with a CRT filter:

once GlideN64 is out, it'll be the closest you can get to the RGB modded real thing

Looks very nice. Are these filters exclusive to RetroArch?

BTails

Since "Gaf Plays 31 Nights of Horror" is done, I figured I would continue my impressions of Castlevania 64 here... First off, I don't understand why this game gets so much flack! Sure, it's not as polished as Super Mario 64, and granted I haven't gotten to the infamous explosives sequence, but all in all it's a pretty competent early 3d action game! Suprisingly enough, I haven't found the camera that frustrating,
except in the hedge maze chase, though I guess that's kne of the reasons why it was so scary,
and 3d whipping works much better than I would've expected.

The graphics aren't great, and have all the hallmarks of the 64: constantly dipping framerate, muddy textures, and a short draw distance. Yet despite the flaws, I've found myself constantly impressed by the cutscenes! In particular, the boss fight after the hedge maze
when the second vampire pops into frame
, or the reveal of the half naked, half spider enemies in the tunnels. I think I'm almost through the tunnels level now, I just rode a couple gondolas, fighting flying creatures and avoiding getting knocked off.

One aspect of the game that seems very superfluous is the day/night cycle: I get that certain things only happen at certain times, but so far I've never waited more than about 60 seconds to trigger anything. Also, I read somewhere that the longer you take going through the game, you may get a bad ending, especially if you use the sun and moon cards. I frel like I'm making pretty good time, but we'll see when I get to the end!

Yeah, it's a good game, and the graphical issues are mostly fixed up in the second version, Legacy of Darkness... that one actually looks nice! Sure, in high res mode the framerate is bad, but I at least found it playable anyway.

I got LoD in the mid/late '00s expecting it to be bad because of all the hate it's gotten for a long time, but... it was good!

BTails

There's nothing magical about this Nitro... Actually, this sequence wasn't nearly as bad as the internet has made me believe. I think all the slander this game has gotten over the years has been to my benefit: when your expectations are low, you end up having a great time!

I finished the Castle Center stage today, and it was a pretty cool level, despite the nitro bit. The last couple bosses were pretty tough, especially right in a row. Well, tough if you don't have 10 of each roast, and I haven't even bought anything from the store yet!

kunonabi

There's nothing magical about this Nitro... Actually, this sequence wasn't nearly as bad as the internet has made me believe. I think all the slander this game has gotten over the years has been to my benefit: when your expectations are low, you end up having a great time!

I finished the Castle Center stage today, and it was a pretty cool level, despite the nitro bit. The last couple bosses were pretty tough, especially right in a row. Well, tough if you don't have 10 of each roast, and I haven't even bought anything from the store yet!

I loved the magical nitro sequence. It's up there with Silent Hill 2's no weapon sequence for me. Castlevania 64 was always a great game and still the best representation of Castlevania gameplay in 3D.

Teknoman

Speaking of legacy of darkness, once you unlock Reinhardt, Does his story pretty much mirror CV64 / does it have a different soundtrack?

Also what's the point of high res mode if it kills the frame rate in all games that have it? I'd rather they just require it and make bigger areas / whatever other advantages it could bring.

BTails

Speaking of legacy of darkness, once you unlock Reinhardt, Does his story pretty much mirror CV64 / does it have a different soundtrack?

I read that it uses the same areas, but is slightly different. I have LoD as well, but once I finish CV64, I'll probably wait until "Gaf plays Horror 3" to play it, haha.

Is the "magical nitro" that part where you carry a bomb, which the AVGN distorted so outrageously in his Castlevania for N64-hate segment?

Yes, Carrie and Reinhart's modes are very similar to what they were in the first game. There are some small changes, so some super-hardcore fans of the first game prefer it, but it's mostly the same. I like LoD more, myself! Better graphics, more characters, more levels, etc.

Also what's the point of high res mode if it kills the frame rate in all games that have it? I'd rather they just require it and make bigger areas / whatever other advantages it could bring.

Making areas bigger would mean requiring the expansion pak instead of just supporting it, though. And few wanted to release games that actually required the expansion pak. It sold well... but not to everyone. You also see this when you look at how a lot of late '00 and '01 titles don't support it, even some (too many!) major first-party titles. Yeah, Banjo-Tooie and Conker should have required it, but to attract a larger audience, they don't support it at all... to their detriment. Too bad.

Anyway, I don't mind the high-res option. The framerate hit isn't always game-breaking, after all. I find it really bad in Turok 2 and especially in Excitebike 64, but in Legacy of Darkness or Turok 3, to name a few, hi-res works better... LoD is a somewhat slow gamer anyway, so making it a bit slower doesn't hurt it THAT much, for me at least. Excitebike 64 is actually the only game where I turn OFF Hi-Res mode, because the framerate hit distracts me, and you need a smooth framerate in a racing game like that one... and I don't like the letterboxing hi-res adds, either. It doesn't hurt that the game looks pretty amazing in low-res too! (Unlike the first Castlevania for N64...)

neoflcl

I'm stoked that it's happening! Very grateful that the developer is fixing so many longstanding issues that N64 graphics plugins have.

Does anyone know just how accurate the plugin is going for? As far as I can tell, no N64 emulators/plugins can properly replicate the console's esoteric "Vaseline-smear" edge anti-aliasing (though most do provide their own, generally much-nicer-looking AA methods).

If this were to eventually be implemented, I think it'd really help replicate the feel of the original hardware.

BTails

So I finished Castlevania last night: got the good ending with Reinhardt, no extra bosses before Dracula. I was surprised at how streamlined the back half of the game felt after the Castle Center area: the levels got smaller, more linear, and the bosses easier! Death, in particular, was a pushover, especially compared to his fights in other Castlevania games.

The Tower of Execution was probably my least favourite level over all, just because the framerate was atrocious. Normally I'm not a stickler for a rock solid framerate, but it seriously dropped to about 5 fps for half the level!

All in all, I really enjoyed the game! I unlocked Hard mode, which I wish was an option from the beginning, since I found the game to be pretty easy for the most part: I never spent a single dollar in the store to buy items! I also had so much roast left by the final form of Dracula that I didn't have to learn his patterns, I just whipped the shit out of him and ate chicken and beef until he died, haha.

I played a few minutes are Carrie, but I think I'm going to take a break from the game for a while. I'll probably eventually just play Carrie in LoD, when I get around to it. I am glad I played the original before LoD though, as it'll just make that playthrough all the more entertaining, as I hear it fixed a lot of the problems of CV64.

Top Bottom