• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Does anyone have any experience with these box protectors? I have a ton of carts that I want cases for but don't want to spend $78 with shipping for qty 100, if they're crap. I plan on using the Cover Project to either print my own, or take them to staples and have them do it.

Those are the ones most people use. I ordered them awhile back and couldn't imagine using any other ones. It fits basically every game so it's perfect for games other than N64. Pick those up and go to town printing things out from the cover project. If I remember correctly there was a forum on the cover project and there were some more cover's throughout the forum if you search well enough. These things make your collection look 100% better, I couldn't imagine using anything else.

Anth0ny

Hey, I was browsing indiegogo and kickstarter and I discovered this -

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gliden64-graphics-plugin/x/4364299

It's a project to create a more modern graphics plugin for N64 emulation by the looks of it.

20140806013554-mt2.jpg

Anyone got more information on this? I really want more perfect N64 emulation so I can hook up some N64 controllers, connect my PC to the CRT and get lost in modern nostalgia...

God damn that looks great. N64 emulation needs to take a leap forward.

Anyways, I was at the Canadian National Exhibition yesterday and, to my surprise, there was a games dealer there.

Dude was selling a loose N64 with a controller for $130. PSOne for $150.

I've seen ebay prices +$10 before, but this was more than double ebay prices on EVERYTHING at the booth. Unreal.

No fucking good deals in this country, I swear. I just picked up 1080 Snowboarding and Wave Race 64 for $3 a pop in NYC during vacation last week. That felt amazing! I don't think I've ever seen a "retro" game go for less than $10 in my area.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm cleaning out some of my old junk... Anyone want a Dex Drive (that old tool for copying saves between N64 memory cards and PCs)? I still have the unit, AC adapter, and serial cable. No idea if any of it works, as I no longer have a way of hooking it up. It's also kind of dirty. Willing to pass it along for just the cost of shipping.

Gruso

It's a project to create a more modern graphics plugin for N64 emulation by the looks of it.

20140806013554-mt2.jpg

Anyone got more information on this? I really want more perfect N64 emulation so I can hook up some N64 controllers, connect my PC to the CRT and get lost in modern nostalgia...
First thought when I saw your link was greeeat, another kid trying to cash in on fake emulator promises just for the attention (anyone remember nworksdev?). But on further inspection this is the original Glide64 author, reputable as you like and it looks like serious business. I'm going to back it, and I think others should too!

N64 Dex Drive? I only knew about the Dex Drive for Playstation. How many games use the Memory card though. Don't most of them save to the cart?

Sixfortyfive

N64 Dex Drive? I only knew about the Dex Drive for Playstation. How many games use the Memory card though. Don't most of them save to the cart?
Some publishers were cheap and required memory cards on their games. Others required it in weird and specific ways. I distinctly recall Bomberman 64 requiring them in order to utilize outfits in multiplayer, despite the game itself having save files. Perfect Dark was really robust in that pretty much anything in the game could be saved to either the cartridge or memory card and copied between them freely, which was a godsend for multiplayer when everyone in your circle of friends owned the game.

You could also use the Game Shark to back up the save data in the game cartridges to a memory card.

SKINNER!

Banned
Don't most of them save to the cart?

All of the N64's first party games saved on the cartridge. Some third-party games would allow you to save on carts but for little things like high-scores and/or user created characters you needed a memory card. Other third-party games required memory cards and without one you'd lose your game progress the second the console is switched off. Games like Beetle Adventure Racing, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, EA's sports titles and most of Acclaim's games required a memory card.

https://images.indiegogo.com/file_attachments/769706/files/20140806013554-mt2.jpg?1407314154

Anyone got more information on this? I really want more perfect N64 emulation so I can hook up some N64 controllers, connect my PC to the CRT and get lost in modern nostalgia...[/QUOTE]

That's really cool and I hope it succeeds, but what is needed the most is an N64 emulator that can actually play all of the games...

mjontrix

I wish somebody could develop some sort of mod to, you know, "up-res" a real n64

Brighter colors, less jaggies, no configuration needed...

That is something i could really put money on...

Closest thing is a cycle-accurate emulator that allows for graphic plugin like Glide to be used - then you'd be able to do that.

Or go the bsnes route and use shaders on top instead.

As for emulators - I know there's a few cycle-accurate emulators in development - like CEN64.

Galdius

I decided to update my N64 collection pics. This is my collection at the moment:

5o1i2Nel.jpg
r8QO083l.jpg
BFkojoEl.jpg
j6ffvgcl.jpg
TJ4wOjVl.jpg

I try to get as many CIB games as possible but sometimes I get some loose games.

TheMoon

Hey, maybe the manual is wrong. They have typos all the time. You can still check to make sure it works in every mode and level.

Now it feels like you're the Dad and I'm the kid who was just told his toy sword can't be used to save real world kingdoms lol

The two controllers trick actually let me play Goldeneye again. I wasn't able to adapt to the other control schemes. Playing Shadows of the Empire has also been very difficult.

If any game got a remake I'd love it to be Shadows of the Empire. I remember the sewer levels with the jet pack fondly as a kid, but I can't beat the first foot level today because of the controls.

Coreda

The two controllers trick actually let me play Goldeneye again. I wasn't able to adapt to the other control schemes. Playing Shadows of the Empire has also been very difficult.

The GE/Perfect Dark '1.2' control scheme (forgot what it was called in GE), and inverted aim was my preference. It uses the C buttons for movement and the analog stick for aim, making it similar to a keyboard/mouse WASD combo except on the opposite side. The variety of control options is staggering though for an early 3D console FPS. Based Rare.

Never tried the dual analog thing, looked up a video of it and it looks expectedly unwieldy. Is it comfortable to play with?

nkarafo

Yeah, both goldeneye and Perfect Dark, can be configured (via emulation control plugins) to have a modern dual analog scheme, thanks to their dual controllers option. You just assign each analog stick of the 2 different controllers to one of the sticks of a modern controller and its like you "fused" the 2 N64 controllers.

Damn, Goldeneye was so ahead of its time that today it allows you to do this particular thing. It works so well that it feels like they predicted it back then.

My N64 collection is pretty small, only 9 games, but that is because I didn't own one as a kid, I only played them at friends' houses.

I've got Star Wars Rogue Squadron, Pod Racer, Shadows of the Empire; Pokemon Stadium 1, 2, and Snap; Goldeneye, Mario 64, and Starfox 64.

Those are the only games I experienced with the console. What are some recommendations?

nkarafo

If you liked Mario 64, i'd recomend Banjo-Kazooie.

Also, the 2 Zelda games are must have, especially Majora's Mask which is also a lot different than most Zelda games, thus it has aged better than Ocarina IMO.

F-Zero X is my favorite game also.

@TheMoon:
Wii has Wii64 which is based on Mupen64.
It allows for IR aiming and nunchuck support (like a regular Wii fps) and it feels awesome for Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, Turok & TWINE.

It has not been updated though since 2012-3. It is reportedly still beeing worked on by the guys at gcforever, but who knows.

TheMoon

@TheMoon:
Wii has Wii64 which is based on Mupen64.
It allows for IR aiming and nunchuck support (like a regular Wii fps) and it feels awesome for Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, Turok & TWINE.

It has not been updated though since 2012-3. It is reportedly still beeing worked on by the guys at gcforever, but who knows.

I know that, I've used it a bit myself but it never seemed to run all that well so I'm not sure it could handle even more graphical features with the Wii being the Wii.

putermcgee

I still hope to find the sequel, but I found Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 yesterday for 100 yen, and just had to pick it up. It's the Japanese version of WCW vs. NWO World Tour, and it has the real names for the Japanese wrestlers too whereas the US version didn't.

Sixfortyfive

Damn, Goldeneye was so ahead of its time that today it allows you to do this particular thing. It works so well that it feels like they predicted it back then.
I think they might have.

In my opinion, the developers made the 1.1 control scheme the default only because it was the "simplest" way to play the game. It's clunky and maybe even a little restrictive by modern standards, but you technically don't need to use the C buttons at all in order to play with that control scheme, so it's the easiest one to learn for someone who's never really played an FPS or an N64 game at all before. I bet it's at least partially the reason why the game really drew in a lot of players.

The 1.2 scheme is way more in line with a modern FPS scheme: analog for aiming, C-buttons for movement.

I know I beat Goldeneye on Agent with 1.2, at least.

I had a friend who was trying to convince me I really needn't have done that, though, saying that the game was basically designed around 1.1, and once you got used to it, it would be second nature - much in the same way Metroid Prime is designed around its unorthodox control scheme, which itself feels like second-nature after a few hours of play. Personally I just kept playing on 1.2.

I know I beat Goldeneye on Agent with 1.2, at least.

I had a friend who was trying to convince me I really needn't have done that, though, saying that the game was basically designed around 1.1, and once you got used to it, it would be second nature - much in the same way Metroid Prime is designed around its unorthodox control scheme, which itself feels like second-nature after a few hours of play. Personally I just kept playing on 1.2.

After forcing yourself to learn the turok controls, it was painful to use anything other than 1.2.

Speaking of Turok, it really pisses me off you can't invert vertical look in that game - since it's inverted by default and I need pushing the stick up to actually look upward.

Speaking of Turok, it really pisses me off you can't invert vertical look in that game - since it's inverted by default and I need pushing the stick up to actually look upward.

Turok has it right. :)

Turok-style controls also have it right! My favorite console FPS controls ever, hands down. I have never liked dual analog.

Cormano

I remember loving Turok 2 back in the day, i tried to replay it weeks ago, but I couldnt due this. :(

It really doesn't. I am not flying a plane, pushing up should not look down.

You look up by tilting your head backwards! Not forwards. It's not just about airplanes. Sure, you move your eyes up to look up, but when it comes to your head, you tilt it back. I imagine this is a big part of why airplanes were designed that way in the first place. It's more natural.

Top Bottom