• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Museum in Kyoto, Japan is scheduled to open on October 2nd, 2024!

Draugoth

Gold Member

Nintendo has announced that the Nintendo Museum will open on October 2.

The museum, which is based in Kyoto, is built on the site of the original factory where Nintendo manufactured hanafuda and playing cards.

In a 10-minute video hosted by Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo showed the inside of the museum for the first time.

Isa

Man those old covers got me, especially Golf. My Dad, Uncles and I would take turns on the weekends in between fishing trips playing together. I'd love to visit the place sometime in the future when my girl and I finally manage to make it over.

I'd also love to see some other contemporaries of the time get some love too, like NEC/Hudson and Sega though I think the later probably has their own stuff. I always thought the OG Famicom stuff was awesome, the controller and Tape deck adaptor reminds me a lot of the Commodore 64 casette reader and man it still blows my mind that data could be streamed or loaded that way. The people that developed that tech are freaking wizards man.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
It looks awesome. I just really want to get to that gift store and get some swag.

A crappy lightgun game, a copy machine, a baby stroller, a handful of board games, a wiffle ball machine and a bunch of games you already own at home.

Please understand.

-Minsc-

Proper clickbait title for thread: Two Girls, One Wimote.

That museum looks cool. More up my alley than the amusement park.

I knew they did playing cards and the game and watch before the NES. Never knew about the 1970's era consoles and things like an exercise bike.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Unfortunately they could not acquire those two seminal artpieces :

WoZ00bb.jpeg

Man eating crow
Anonymous, French.
ca. 2023

QSP07RF.jpeg

The frailty of things (L'impermanence).
Anonymous, French.
ca. 2023

Still worth the visit, if only to see Mario's gimp suit and Luigi stinky britches.

But us middle aged gamer must be careful, we don't know what will be considered an ancient relic. I'll feel very old if i see Secret of Mana in the department of antiquities....
As the master said :
cCnqVoN.jpeg

Last edited:

Bond007

I'm going to Japan summer 2026 and will be visiting Kyoto. Excited to add this to my list of things to do!

Looks sparse, needs more stuff imo and text about the items (unless that is provided electronically).

No prototypes? No Super Mario FX?

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Looks great, I did wish there would be sections for their top franchises where they can show early sketches and thoughts. A bit more bite into the software side. Or even hardware designs. It seems like an entertainment museum not much of to get out of it.

wondermega

Looks great, I did wish there would be sections for their top franchises where they can show early sketches and thoughts. A bit more bite into the software side. Or even hardware designs. It seems like an entertainment museum not much of to get out of it.
Agreed. Gaf seems pretty lukewarm on this thing and it is not difficult to see why. I don't like the style and presentation of things like this, seems very ultramodern (in the worst way) and antiseptic - the archaic "old Nintendo building" (which most visitors seemed to be denied entry to anyway) had so much more character than this.

The museum may well have a lot of other interesting exhibits to show off, but what is seen here seems very basic. Now this is coming from me, a pretty bonafide retro nerd, so I understand that this is much more tourist (and child) centric than really trying to cater to middle-aged enthusiasts, "but still!" The Before Mario blog has a wealth of items and I imagine you can only see a few such things at a place like this (behind glass no less).

Legit insight into the early game (and toy) development would be just.. AWESOME. I would love to see ancient development hardware (actually running!?), old documentation, level and layout designs on graph paper, character art and concept sketches. There's a whole wealth of available material from the old Game & Watches that would just be so incredible to see, the early oversized wooden prototypes, things like that. Clippings from ancient magazines (I'd love to see how the early Nintendo Power mags were made - what about all the physical 3D models and funky original artwork created for the mag), and then as for hardware. What did the earlier Virtual Boy prototypes look like, what about when it was originally a color device? How about the AVS (early prototype for Western Market NES before it got significantly retooled). How about display props from Space World? Unreleased prototypes of games? The 2D 8bit stye game that was created internally to guide early development of Breath of the Wild? The early versions of 8bit Zelda? You think they would have much of ANY of this stuff?

Sorry to rant. I just think it is such a waste of a massive opportunity to delve into the fantastic history of one of the mega-brands of the entire world of videogames and what the potential is VS what we get is night and day. I wouldn't want to visit a place like this if it was up the street from me, I know it sounds harsh but that is my bias as an older gamer who was absolutely intoxicated with this stuff in my youth.

Robb

Gold Member
I should’ve have known they’d do some wacky stuff. Not my cup of tea for a museum visit, but it makes sense for Nintendo. It’s very ‘on brand’.

Would’ve liked it if they had prototype stuff from R&D of past consoles. That always piqued my interest.

That said I’d still visit in a heartbeat if I ever go back to Japan, of course. If only to get something from the shop.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'll defend a japanese nintendo museum, it's its place of origin but I would welcome a us playstation museum.

Top Bottom