• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (4) Thread

supercake

Gah! I've seen too much already in this thread! I'm staying far away till I have the game! Glad that most of you are likeing it so far.

methodman

Banned
One question for you previous owners: This game is so much fun to me (my favorite genre is adventure games), are the previous Phoenix Wright games comparable, and is there one you would recommend to me? I'm up to the 2nd case and damn this game is great.

methodman said:
One question for you previous owners: This game is so much fun to me (my favorite genre is adventure games), are the previous Phoenix Wright games comparable, and is there one you would recommend to me? I'm up to the 2nd case and damn this game is great.
The previous Phoenix Wright games are just as good or better (Except GS2 which is worse). Definetely get all three, I would even recommend for you to stop playing Apollo Justice and beat Phoenix Wright 1-3 before continuing so you can enjoy Apollo Justice more (Specifically the last case which I've read some details on).

daemonic

Banned
supercake said:
Gah! I've seen too much already in this thread! I'm staying far away till I have the game! Glad that most of you are likeing it so far.

Same, I don't know why I keep checking on this thread :lol

Anyway, picking this up tomorrow! I've got a day to finish Episode 5 from trials and tribulations.

Redd

Ahh the weekend can't get here fast enough. Why do I keep clicking on this thread and highlighting the spoilers.

Callibretto said:
actually I think Apollo
feels too much like Phoenix from previous games, and when you put them side by side, they felt different because current Phoenix almost felt like a totally new character.
I agree with
Trucy though, much better character than Maya.
don't really get the hate for Emma,
I think she looks good, and haven't seen enough to form solid opinion on her
Well, I disagree a bit. Phoenix always felt like he was aware of how things should be and was thrust in to a world of the absurd. Idiot friends, spirit channeling from a teenage idiot, an asshole rival, magicians, gay french chefs, Phoenix was living in an Escher painting and he was the only one who noticed it. Apollo tacitly accepts the weirdness because he's so new. He figures "Well, this doesn't seem normal, but I'm new, so I guess it is to them." A lot of his thought processes are like this. Things Phoenix would scoff at, Apollo just accepts.

Ramenman

Since I'm playing the game I don't care that much, but I do think some people in this thread could use some more heavy spoilering.

I mean, posting "last forms" gifs of witnesses can be considered spoilers, actually only knowing some character will take the witness stand at some point can be a hell of a spoiler in some case (just think First Case).

Ramenman

darkpaladinmfc said:
The previous Phoenix Wright games are just as good or better (Except GS2 which is worse). Definetely get all three, I would even recommend for you to stop playing Apollo Justice and beat Phoenix Wright 1-3 before continuing so you can enjoy Apollo Justice more (Specifically the last case which I've read some details on).

Yes.

I'm only on the beginning on the 2nd case, and already there's so much references to the first 3 games. Nothing really "important" but, it feels good to be "in the know", it's like little bits of stealth fanservice.

For example the Ema Skye who finally became detective, the panties stuffed in the car, Phoenix's theme popping up when he comes to help you, and goddamn they managed to put the Ladder-Stepladder thing AGAIN :D It wasn't even funny the first time, but somehow I absolutely love their obstination to put it in every game. Also, not surprised that Phoenix don't get hurt when bumped by a car, since he can fall through a burning bridge and keep on living.

The traduction on this one is still great too. The justice puns, and mainly the new stealth meme everyone will love :

2upb6fo.gif

Tutomos

Callibretto said:
I'm sure there's a connection between Apollo and Trucy's similar power, Phoenix seems
to know something about Apollo, he keep implaying that Apollo have that power from the beginning, brother and sister perhaps?

I have to say that's a very good observation. I think the first case gives you enough hints that you can kinda guess where part of the overall twist for this game is going. I don't want to spoil too much but
if you think about the pendant you will figure out something before the final reveal in the last chapter, not all of it of course.

Ramenman said:
Yes.

I'm only on the beginning on the 2nd case, and already there's so much references to the first 3 games. Nothing really "important" but, it feels good to be "in the know", it's like little bits of stealth fanservice.

For example the Ema Skye who finally became detective, the panties stuffed in the car, Phoenix's theme popping up when he comes to help you, and goddamn they managed to put the Ladder-Stepladder thing AGAIN :D It wasn't even funny the first time, but somehow I absolutely love their obstination to put it in every game. Also, not surprised that Phoenix don't get hurt when bumped by a car, since he can fall through a burning bridge and keep on living.

The traduction on this one is still great too. The justice puns, and mainly the new stealth meme everyone will love :

2upb6fo.gif

A friend of mine show me, part of the first case and the beginning of the second.

I'm so getting this.

And the meme joke it's totally overdone, with 2 or 3 puns was more than enough.

and lol at Trucy.

They don't even hide it's actually Pearl Fey,so obvious

Relaxed Muscle said:
and lol at Trucy.

They don't even hide it's actually Pearl Fey,so obvious
I really don't understand this theory.

Why would it be Pearl? Her name is different. There is a picture of her as a kid and it is different. She has an unnatural power of perception and it is entirely different from anything in the Kurain Village. Also, she wouldn't drop her Fey name. I am pretty positive that Pearl is the "kid" Phoenix refers to who sends him Pink Princess DVDs.

ShockingAlberto said:
I really don't understand this theory.

Why would it be Pearl? Her name is different. There is a picture of her as a kid and it is different. She has an unnatural power of perception and it is entirely different from anything in the Kurain Village. Also, she wouldn't drop her Fey name. I am pretty positive that Pearl is the "kid" Phoenix refers to who sends him Pink Princess DVDs.

You sure that kid, isn't that kid of the first game, (the samurai case)?, and she wouldn't be a kid exactly...,and in JFA Pearl gets impressed with Maximillion Galactica, and that would explain why she become a Magician.Both will have the same age, and Tracy seems to be unnaware of a lot of things, just like Pearl, alike personalities, and both have very alike animations and gestures, Tracy do little jumps when she is talking or just standing, Pearl jumps when she is happy....,when I saw Tracy, It was so obvious to me, maybe I'm wrong, could it be, but right now,I think is pretty clear. Of course all that comes from my little experience with the game, when I have my copy I'll have more info to have a better idea of all this.

Morts

Did anyone get this at Best Buy? Both their website and the guy I talked to on the phone said it doesn't come out until next week, but I'm thinking of driving out there anyway to check...

I thought the animation is similar
to Maya, not Pearl, and I just ignore because I think it's some kind of fanservice to show Maya's animation. kinda with some of Apollo's animation that reminds me of Phoenix a couple times

anyway, I'd be pretty upset if Trucy
ended up being Pearl, for one, the personality is way different, Pearl is very shy and Trucy is a very outspoken character. and if this is Pearl making a comeback, there's no reason to need a new perceive system, they will use psyche lock again if it's Pearl. whoever Trucy is, I think it has something to do with Phoenix' case 7 years ago that make him lost his lawyer badge

ShockingAlberto said:
Well, I disagree a bit. Phoenix always felt like he was aware of how things should be and was thrust in to a world of the absurd. Idiot friends, spirit channeling from a teenage idiot, an asshole rival, magicians, gay french chefs, Phoenix was living in an Escher painting and he was the only one who noticed it. Apollo tacitly accepts the weirdness because he's so new. He figures "Well, this doesn't seem normal, but I'm new, so I guess it is to them." A lot of his thought processes are like this. Things Phoenix would scoff at, Apollo just accepts.

if you put it that way, yeah I can see
the differences, it still felt a little vague to me though, maybe now that I can see what you mean, I'd be able to differentiate between Phoenix and Apollo easier

Just wanted to say that Case 3 is awesome so far, and I'm just before the first court section. I'm especially loving how much mystery there is in this game, most of the time in the cases you are wondering what the hell is going on until the very end :D .

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Got the stupid Amazon mail too about the push in ship date, so I cancelled my order from my cellphone yesterday at GDC and just walked over to the nearby EB Games after lunch to get a copy.

Almost done with the first case, the game is awesome, despite
the overuse of ORLY jokes

Amon37

Microphone can be used to yell “Objection!” and “Hold it!” as you cross examine witnesses

:lol :lol

Well at least I won't be like WTF if I'm somewhere and here someone suddenly yell.

randomwab

Just completed Case 2, and I have to say, this is possibly the best in the series, up there with the first Phoenix Wright. Something about the game feels much more logical compared to the other games, and i'm loving the characters so far. On to Case 3 now :D

do people here actually yell when playing the games? I played the game at home and I never yell or speak the word loudly, saying the word quietly or softly don't match in the tense courtroom situation and speaking the word loudly makes me feel stupid

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Started playing last night but only got to the first cross examination and had to stop.

Having played all of the GBA Ace Attorney titles by the DS ports, I'm already blown away by the sound quality and the new backrounds/sprites in this game. Pure love.

I'm SUPER GLAD we get the 3D evidence like in the extra chapter of AA1. I played the demo sometime ago and if I recall correctly there was no 3D in the court record. That made me a little worried at the time.

Ramenman said:
Since I'm playing the game I don't care that much, but I do think some people in this thread could use some more heavy spoilering.

I mean, posting "last forms" gifs of witnesses can be considered spoilers, actually only knowing some character will take the witness stand at some point can be a hell of a spoiler in some case (just think First Case).
This.

Please people, try to only post links to pics and gifs that reveal too much, don't put them directly on the thread.

And abuse the spoiler tag, adventure games needs it the most.

Never mind, I got it.

Thanks Callibretto!

I forgot to check the door

Edit 2: Oh gosh. Just beat the case. This game is ama-za-zing! If it keeps up the pace, I think it could be my favorite AA game.

Crumpet Trumpet said:
Can someone help me? I'm stuck in Case 2!

I just finished the part where you find the sandals and match the prints up with the slippers. What next?

I just talk to Emma about it and she give me a letter so I can go into Meraksis clinic, that's as far as I played last night, so dunno if it helps you or not

Nemesis_

I just found out that Case 5, the final case, is actually the
flashback case
where you find out what happened to Phoenix.

On top of that, Trucy isn't
Pearl nor is she Phoenix's daughter - she's featured in the new case

Starting the final trial in Case 2 now. Loving it! =D

firex

going to avoid most of the posts in here now that it's mostly about AJ's game, but I've been replaying case 5 of PW:AA to kind of refresh myself with the characters that return in AJ:AA (although I guess that's just Ema) and the case is still pretty awesome.

but the one thing I don't like about it is how smart PW is compared to the other cases in PW2 and PW3. Like if you play through the trilogy just going by the original cases, you can see PW's arguing skills improve as each game goes on and it's pretty cool. Case 5 of PW:AA though is written like PW is as experienced/smart as a defense attorney as he is at the end of PW3. And the case itself is so big and epic that it kind of makes most of the other cases in PW2 seem really stupid by comparison, and makes PW himself seem like he had a horrible relapse in his lawyer skills between the two games.

I guess the easier way to explain it is I feel like case 5 of PW:AA is so good and PW is so smart in it (which is welcome) that it makes PW2 look even worse, and it kind of makes the character seem really inconsistent.

Ark-AMN

Banned
firex said:
going to avoid most of the posts in here now that it's mostly about AJ's game, but I've been replaying case 5 of PW:AA to kind of refresh myself with the characters that return in AJ:AA (although I guess that's just Ema) and the case is still pretty awesome.

but the one thing I don't like about it is how smart PW is compared to the other cases in PW2 and PW3. Like if you play through the trilogy just going by the original cases, you can see PW's arguing skills improve as each game goes on and it's pretty cool. Case 5 of PW:AA though is written like PW is as experienced/smart as a defense attorney as he is at the end of PW3. And the case itself is so big and epic that it kind of makes most of the other cases in PW2 seem really stupid by comparison, and makes PW himself seem like he had a horrible relapse in his lawyer skills between the two games.

I guess the easier way to explain it is I feel like case 5 of PW:AA is so good and PW is so smart in it (which is welcome) that it makes PW2 look even worse, and it kind of makes the character seem really inconsistent.
Well, Case 5 of the PW1 DS was written after PW2 and 3 so I'd imagine the writers probably forgot to dumb him down a little.

well you can't fault the cases for being big and epic, it's their latest case made by the developer. so it's no surprise the developer is much more experienced in making it. at least for me, I don't notice the difference much, certainly not to the point that makes pw 2 bad. I still like pw2 a lot

darkjacob

Banned
Up to the second investgation of case 2, so awesome i loved it when you pointed out the
college student's orther crime? :lol

And all the new characters are awesome, especially trucy.:D

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Seeing all this Trucy love makes me so happy.

Especially since the people at the court records forum hated her, I also heard that she wasn't that well received in Japan.

I guess the Trucy defense force will be the good ol' US of A.

darkjacob

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

Especially since the people at the court records forum hated her, I also heard that she wasn't that well received in Japan.

Maybe her character is different in the japanese version?

Hcoregamer00 said:

is there any reason for that? something in later cases that may make me change my opinion, or it's just maya fanboy hating on Trucy?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Callibretto said:
is there any reason for that? something in later cases that may make me change my opinion, or it's just maya fanboy hating on Trucy?

When people refer to Japan hating something, they usually are refering to 2ch. and 2ch hates everything

The people at court records hate everything that isn't Edgeworth and Phoenix. But seriously don't ever go to court records, ever. Edgeworth/Phoenix hentai is something that will scar you for life.

Hcoregamer00 said:

Wow, I don't see how anyone can hate Trucy
I mean, MR.HAT! :lol

Durante

I'm really enjoying the game so far (just like the earlier parts) but what happened to the post-case images in the chapter selection screen? I thought those were a very nice touch and they seem to be simply ... gone.

Ramenman

Amon37 said:
:lol :lol

Well at least I won't be like WTF if I'm somewhere and here someone suddenly yell.

It's been like that since the first PW. There's also "TAKE THAT", and newly "GOTCHA".

I sometimes do it when I find the solution after being cornered for a little long, it feels quite satisfying if no one is looking at you :D

Ramenman

And I also like Trucy a lot. She's cuter and feels less "dumb" than Maya. Maya was very funny at times, but sometimes it was just too much.

Also
Wesley in case 2 is so awesome, gestures, monologues, etc.

Huh. I got to a part that keeps freezing in Case 2, second day of investigation.

When dusting for finger prints on the safe, it keeps freezing. DS won't even go in to sleep mode. Am I doing something wrong?

Just finished Case 3, this game has some of the best filler cases in the series thus far. This was also the best entertainment related case (Well, ok, except 2-4) in the series.

Dialog has been good so far, though the names don't seem as punny as previous games. Can't complain too much as it still gives that great PW feel of figuring out a key piece of evidence and shoving it down a witness' throat.

BTW what does everyone think of Klavier? spoilers through case 3
He's kind of interesting in that he is nowhere near the dick that Edgy, Franciska, or Godot were. Even though he has reason to want to crush AJ he actually seems to care a whole lot more about finding the truth than nailing a particular suspect. A very different vibe, less confrontational, and more cooperative, kinda like Edgy in 1-5.

Great overall though!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ChaoticBlue said:
game should be cheaper for something you're most likely ever gonna play once.

Really?

It has been my experience that I have played ever single game at least twice.

Phoenix Wright - 6 times
Ace Attorney 2 - 2 times
Ace Attorney 3 - 3 times

darkjacob said:
Maybe her character is different in the japanese version?

Her dialog makes her charming, they probably heard some complaints and added the charm factor on her USA translation.

kiryogi

Banned
Yeah, I'm somehow absolutely positive Alex was a big factor in how well written the dialogue has turned out. I actually haven't found myself really enjoying it to this extent since AA1. And yes, count me into with the Trucy fans. Cute is timeless! Cute is eternal!

Teasel

just finished case 2
can i be a fan of
mr.hat?
oh also
wesley rules,i love the animation where he starts crying :'(
the new system is also really cool

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Callibretto said:
I don't really get the hate for Emma
Neither do I. I mean, it's obvious that
she's bitter after spending all that time away to get ready and do the job of her dreams when she gets back and help out Phoenix, and then when she gets back Phoenix is no longer practicing and the police department places her in a completely different position.

Trucy is cute, but screw the haters, Emma > you! :p

Top Bottom