• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (4) Thread

Teetris said:
I'm still at the first case at the
betrayalton
part, had to turn it off after that. So full of win indeed. Is it me or is the game a whole lot more mature than the previous entries? It feels pretty damn awesome, hope all the cases are like this.
The second case feels a bit childish, although I haven't finished it yet.

timnich

The translation is fantastic. Is it the same translator from the first Phoenix Wright game? It has a familiar charm in it that I didn't quite see in PW 2 and 3. The dialogue is as funny as ever though, and it seems that Apollo gets picked on by the court as much as Phoenix did.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
bishopcruz said:
BTW does anyone know if they changed wine to grape juice in the game? It just seems odd that they would cut out alcohol references but leave the good old fashioned murders,
panty thefts
and other stuff in the game.[/spoiler]

No, it wasn't changed in the translation. In the Japanese version it was referred to as a juice bottle.

the first case is really strong imo, great job introducing new characters and the new phoenix wright. this is probably the best introduction case ever in the series.

start playing a little bit into case 2, I like
Trucy a lot more than Maya. imo, the design is better, and I like her personality much more than Maya. only complaint I have so far is that apollo felt too much like Phoenix Wright in the old games. his way of thinking, comment etc is just too similar with Phoenix Wright. I actually have a little bit of problem reminding myself that this is Apollo, not Phoenix. although this is probably because I've just played pw3 again not too long ago so phoenix s still very fresh in my mind

Just started case 2

stealing panties? Really? :lol

Anyways, Case 1 was all kinds of awesome. The first case in T&T is still my favorite intro case, though. And I'm loving Apollo, I've grown to like him even faster than I did with Phoenix.

jvalioli

The "mysterious" figure at the end of the first Apollo Justice (Japanese) trailer is making a ton of sense now.

Also, best first case ever. Wow.

darkjacob

Banned
Just finished the first case, i'm really loving how it's starting off alot better then the first PW.:D

Cant wait too see how the next 4 cases are.

thefro

timnich said:
The translation is fantastic. Is it the same translator from the first Phoenix Wright game? It has a familiar charm in it that I didn't quite see in PW 2 and 3. The dialogue is as funny as ever though, and it seems that Apollo gets picked on by the court as much as Phoenix did.

Yes, they got Alexander O. Smith to translate this one. Sounds like it may have saved the game.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Callibretto said:
the first case is really strong imo, great job introducing new characters and the new phoenix wright. this is probably the best introduction case ever in the series.

start playing a little bit into case 2, I like
Trucy a lot more than Maya. imo, the design is better, and I like her personality much more than Maya. only complaint I have so far is that apollo felt too much like Phoenix Wright in the old games. his way of thinking, comment etc is just too similar with Phoenix Wright. I actually have a little bit of problem reminding myself that this is Apollo, not Phoenix. although this is probably because I've just played pw3 again not too long ago so phoenix s still very fresh in my mind

I totally agree, Trucy is way more likable.

She is so cute
and her personality is way more likable. She is like a more sarcastic version of Maya

jasonng

Gawd damn! The first case alone is worth the price of the game. I had so many WTF moments in the first two hours alone.

Aw, why did I decide to get this one online? I've got absolutely no work tonight, and could run over to Fry's and get a copy, but can't since it's already in the mail.

Some screens:
apollo-justice-nds_07.jpg

apollo-justice-nds_09.jpg

apollo-justice-nds_12.jpg

More here

Trailer

Hcoregamer00

jasonng said:
Gawd damn! The first case alone is worth the price of the game. I had so many WTF moments in the first two hours alone.

Yeah, the first case is really good.

Hopefully the 3rd and 4th case will be just as good. Like always, they were hinting at a grander story arc.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I totally agree, Trucy is way more likable.

She is so cute
and her personality is way more likable. She is like a more sarcastic version of Maya

what's even more awesome is that
she's genuinely naive and innocent, but lots of thing she says ended up having that sarcastic feel without her realizing it

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Capcom actually shipped out my order in record time! I'm STILL waiting for my DMC4 preorder! :lol

Still, at least I'll have that this week. PW3 took almost 2 months to ship and arrive!

They better have included my preorder bonus!

Hcoregamer00

Callibretto said:
what's even more awesome is that
she's genuinely naive and innocent, but lots of thing she says ended up having that sarcastic feel without her realizing it

Agreed.

I just like her quite a bit.
Trucy is definitely better than Maya

Also
Ema is a real bitch, it is a little annoying. I wanted her to get some of Gunshoe's likability since she was his replacement.

Nemesis_

So I'm halfway through the first trial of Case 2. And WOW was I surprised. :lol :lol :lol

Trucy is pretty much my favourite character in the whole series. She's just so awesome, and when she pulled this trick I LOLed really hard.

I'm liking Apollo too, and the role that
Phoenix
has undergone, though I am a bit concerned that his
corrupt
way of dealing with things has kinda ruined the character.

Ema
is a whore. I hate her >_> But she got better when she realised who she was dealing with.

Thoroughly enjoying this one more than any of the others at the moment. No jokes either. Loving Apollo's animations too. The new prosecutor is somewhat boring compared to say Franziska or Godot, but his personality is top notch.

apollo-thinking(a).gif
apollo-thinking(c).gif
apollo-sheepish(c).gif

ani-kyouya-airguitar.gif

Hcoregamer00

Nemesis556 said:
So I'm halfway through the first trial of Case 2. And WOW was I surprised. :lol :lol :lol

Trucy is pretty much my favourite character in the whole series. She's just so awesome, and when she pulled this trick I LOLed really hard.

I'm liking Apollo too, and the role that
Phoenix
has undergone, though I am a bit concerned that his
corrupt
way of dealing with things has kinda ruined the character.

Ema
is a whore. I hate her >_> But she got better when she realised who she was dealing with.

Thoroughly enjoying this one more than any of the others at the moment. No jokes either. Loving Apollo's animations too. The new prosecutor is somewhat boring compared to say Franziska or Godot, but his personality is top notch.

I totally agree on all counts.

Trucy
is the most charming character in the game.
Ema is a total bitch, I was kind of hoping that she would be nice and endearing like gumshoe
Phoenix
is cool in his new role, but it saddens me that
he never hooked up and married Iris

The new prosecutor is nowhere near as good as Godot and Edgy, but come on Godot
has some of the best goddamn lines ever put in a game and his storyline was so tragic
and Edgeworth
was so damn bad ass in Case 4 of the second game and Case 5 of the third game

Nemesis_

I'm REALLY hoping that there is at least one other prosecutor besides Klavier or whatever his name is >_>

Also, I've heard murmurs that Trucy is NOT
Nick's daughter
but rather his
adopted daughter

Just got the game and finished case 1..WOW!

The first case started off so boring and easy but got sooo good! Must. Find. Out. What. Happened. To. Phoenix!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Reno said:
No, it wasn't changed in the translation. In the Japanese version it was referred to as a juice bottle.

It's clearly wine though. Glass bottle, it's colored, and they even mention "vintage" at one point.

Also, that first case blew my fucking mind. It's my first Ace Attorney game and that's how I get started. :lol

Grimm Fandango said:
On a different note, has anyone else noticed newer DS games have a case really hard to open? I noticed it on Advance Wars: Days of Ruin also. It felt like I had to nearly break open the case to get inside.

This is very common amongst all DS games. It's not just the newer ones.

MechaX

After looking at most of the fan fallout concerning Ace Attorney 4 upon its Japanese release, I was expecting some massive failure on all respects.

However, I'm only halfway through the first case and it has already at least dethroned the introduction cases from the other games (
hell, I thought that PW3 walked away with that one after the entire Mia/Dailha incident
). So far, I'm liking Apollo pretty much the same way I did when I first played PW1. Kristoph is pretty badass (
even though some pretty rampant leaks when the japanese version was released killed most of the potential thunder with him
), and I actually like
Phoenix's
new role.

Sure, the lack of the old characters does kind of suck. But I think I'll probably start to like the new characters just as much over time.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
There was only a fan fallout with Japan GAF and 2ch. Which shows you once again that 2ch hates everything and that Japan GAF is always wrong

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
grandjedi6 said:
Which shows you once again that 2ch hates everything and that Japan GAF is always wrong

Well, they were right about No More Heroes.

I just passed the 1st trial in case 2, and I have to say this again, Trucy
is quickly becoming my favorite character in gyakuten saiban series, she's damn smart, she even make apollo look stupid at times
. oh and I can't believe how much Phoenix
has been upgraded from last game, I can understand being a legendary lawyer, but Phoenix has also become an expert in reading people that he never lost poker once for 7 years, granted, Trucy help him sometimes, but not always. I'd say by this time, Phoenix has probably surpass any other lawyer in past games including Mia

suzu

Haha @ hearing Klavier's theme song for the first time. Achtung, baby!

I'm liking Trucy a lot more than Maya (although I didn't think she was as bad as other people think). :]

Fuzzery

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I have never been so mad at myself for reading spoiler'd text in all my life :(
I read spoilers on GAF on habit, it's really bad, I have to forcibly stop myself.

randomwab

Nemesis556 said:
I've heard murmurs that Trucy is NOT
Nick's daughter
but rather his
adopted daughter

Wasn't this confirmed a while ago? Even if it wasn't, it should seem pretty clear that this is the case. I mean, if you played any previous games in the series, you would know that Phoenix didn't have a 7 year old daughted, plus, everyone acts so suprised when Trucy mentions she is his daughter. Perhaps
Trucy is Pearls?

Ramenman

Edit : I swear to god people, dont read the spoilers, you'll f'ing regret it.

What the WHAT???

How come an Ace Attorney's very first case is that awesome ? IS THAT EVEN LEGAL,??!!1!1

Man, in the first three games it was always the "funny but tutorial" case, but wtf there, surprise effect to the max. So many mysteries not even solved by the end... And the most WTF-ish of course :
BETRAYING YOUR FUCKING MENTOR SINCE THE FIRST FUCKING CASE IN THE FIRST FUCKING GAME HE'S IN, damn he didn't last long
. So unbelievable.
And Phoenix thus coming to the mentor's stand is an appreciable fanservice

Also I can't wait to learn
who's the mother of Phoenix's "daughter"

I also like a lot the "DS enhanced" look of the game. Beautiful sprites, backgrounds, and 3D crime scene reconstruction is a neat effect.

randomwab

Nemesis556 said:
That would be awesome. Isn't Trucy
psychic
or something?

She has the same power that Apollo has. Don't know how you would even describe that power but anyone who has completed the first case will know what I mean.

I'm sure there's a connection between Apollo and Trucy's similar power, Phoenix seems
to know something about Apollo, he keep implaying that Apollo have that power from the beginning, brother and sister perhaps?

A little bit in to the second case, my general thoughts:

- It really does seem like they learned their lessons from Trials & Tribulations and applied them to Apollo Justice (hit 'em hard and hit 'em fast), but at the same time,
I definitely see the complaints about Capcom cowing to fan pressure and using the old cast too much. Phoenix basically solved the first case on his own and told you to do the grunt work now and then.

-
I definitely like the new characters more than the old ones. Apollo feels different from Phoenix. His mannerisms and thought process make him a different character, especially when you put the two side by side. Trucy is a different, and likely better, character than Maya. She feels like that female friend you had in high school and both of you act 15 again when you're together. Ema...hot, but a little too standoffish for my taste. Hopefully the next game is a little more fresh, know what I mean?

- The game really shows the difference in sound between the DS and GBA. In terms of sound quality, it is leagues better. In terms of composition....eh. Some songs are leaps and bounds better, others I start thinking "What is this, what are you doing."

ShockingAlberto said:
A little bit in to the second case, my general thoughts:

-
I definitely like the new characters more than the old ones. Apollo feels different from Phoenix. His mannerisms and thought process make him a different character, especially when you put the two side by side. Trucy is a different, and likely better, character than Maya. She feels like that female friend you had in high school and both of you act 15 again when you're together. Ema...hot, but a little too standoffish for my taste. Hopefully the next game is a little more fresh, know what I mean?

actually I think Apollo
feels too much like Phoenix from previous games, and when you put them side by side, they felt different because current Phoenix almost felt like a totally new character.
I agree with
Trucy though, much better character than Maya.
don't really get the hate for Emma,
I think she looks good, and haven't seen enough to form solid opinion on her

Nemesis_

Hmm so I've finished the second case's first trial, and boy was it intense, especially
Trucy's anal probe :lol
That had me O_O.

As for who I think did it, I reckon it was the wife - though that's a complete guess by me made through the simple assumption that it's always the one you least expect.

As for Wesley?
What a perve
lol. The parts where he got REALLY angry and stressed had me cracking up.

ani-kawadzu-sweats2.gif

jvalioli

I just got really sick. I'm pretty upset cause I don't think I can play anymore Apollo Justice because of this headache.

Toughen up and playing Apollo Justice or sleep some more?!

Tarazet

I picked this up yesterday. For some reason I had a really hard time getting my hands on the preorder bonus - they had to call six other stores before they found one nearby that had extras (or at least one they were willing to part with).

Top Bottom