• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Shadowlink123 said:
Guys, are those jiggy challenges only for the Demo? I want to know because I want to find jiggys myself like the first 2 games and I don't want to talk to anyone to do a challenge for the jiggy.

nice stealth troll there :p

Michan

Looks like all three of GAF's LDs are buying this game!

I can't believe the UK is getting this last.
Technically it'll be out in the rest of Europe an hour - a couple of hours earlier due to time differences.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
I'm really excited about his game. Banjo rocks.

DogWelder

This is the first game I've ever pre-ordered. Not going to play the demo 'cause I want to be wow'ed by the visuals when I get it.

DogWelder

JSnake said:
I lack image making skills. Sorry!

It's fine as it is. Most of those threads are probably a huge waste of time because I doubt anyone even reads that shit.

Edit: By the way, did anyone receive their pre-order DLC card yet? I heard some retailers started giving 'em out.

1cesc said:
It's fine as it is. Most of those threads are probably a huge waste of time because I doubt anyone even reads that shit.

Edit: By the way, did anyone receive their pre-order DLC card yet? I heard some retailers started giving 'em out.
The DLC card for Banjo XBLA? Anyone want to confirm this?

gwiz210

1cesc said:

2rempmx.png

Linkhero1

Shadowlink123 said:
I am not trolling, I love the new Banjo game, I also have it preordered. I was just wondering if it is like that.
You missed a great opportunity to post his tag :eek:

I'm not too interested in the game but I'll play some of it anyways.

@ the guy who got the BK code early DAMN YOU!!

Kuroyume

Banned
Couple of pics I took...

banjo00.png

My version of a helicopter... There's a propeller on the back. It's not perfect but it works. Once I get more parts in the final version I'm sure I can make something better.

banjo01.png

That's the best shot that came out. It's hard to get a decent image when...

1. You're holding a camera
2. Holding the controller while trying to control the camera in the game with an analog stick
3. Banjo and Kazooie keep doing an idle animation every few seconds

This game is so beautiful. Someone should take some screenshots with a card or something of the pretty stuff in the demo.

I finally completed the demo today and was pleased to learn at the end that there will be screenshots and films in the game. Anyone know if we'll be able to upload them to a site or is it only a thing we can trade through our friend's list? Also, I preordered the game on Amazon and the page said BK XBLA codes are available while supplies last. I ordered on Sunday. How do I figure if I'll get a code or not?

Btw, this is seriously one of the best demos ever. It's up there with Crackdown and Bioshock. Bioshock's demo wasn't even as packed with content as this one.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
29bf5nr.jpg

About Banjo and the technical mastery of the game, doesn't seem so far-fetched now does it? Once I knew that they were building an engine to take advantage of the console. I knew what we were going to get. I'm very, very happy with the direction of the gameplay as well. :D :D :D

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So ive been messing around with springs alot. putting 2 springs on a motorcycle vehicle is great. I cant wait to make a vehicle that has like 5+ springs :lol

Edit: i thought i was in the demo thread. opps

NSider

Can't wait for this game, pre-ordered it months ago (Amazon.com for $36.99 FTW). Unfortunately, my 360 died on me a few days ago and I didn't get a chance to play the demo. :(

Nice thread, but the OP should at least mention the AMAZING price tag this game has.

NaviLink

Can anyone confirm the game is region locked ? I'd like to buy the US version, but will it play on my pal 360 ?

Xyphie

NaviLink said:
Can anyone confirm the game is region locked ? I'd like to buy the US version, but will it play on my pal 360 ?

First party 360 games are usually region free. Viva Pinata 2 was and that was Rare's latest game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm going to love the customization options and the general world, but the challenges included in the beta are some of the most uninspired I've played in some time.

Oddly enough, I think that even if the missions are somewhat monotonous, the rest of the package will be enough to lift it into "must play" territory.

JSnake

Rez>You said:
I know I'm going to love the customization options and the general world, but the challenges included in the beta are some of the most uninspired I've played in some time.

Oddly enough, I think that even if the missions are somewhat monotonous, the rest of the package will be enough to lift it into "must play" territory.

Something tells me that as you unlock more parts and the editor starts opening up with more part choices (and thus more vehicle possibilities), the challenges will inherently become more fun.

BluWacky

I can appreciate how awesome this game is, but I just can't play it :(

I have absolutely no mechanical awareness at all, and so this whole game is a complete nightmare for me. I just don't understand how to build vehicles effectively for different tasks, and I seem to be completely incapable of using the blueprint ones properly, so anything beyond simple racing is just too frustrating for me!

I don't like "driving" missions in general - they were my least favourite part of Jak 3, for instance - but I like the idea of the construction aspect and the challenges being a bit more inspired (even if they boil down to the same sorts of things) than in most games of this ilk. I'm just so awful at it and so disinterested that it's not for me.

The engine is fantastic, the game looks and sounds gorgeous, and it's clearly an excellent game. But it's just too, well, hard for me.

Rare will get my money for Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie (I still have my N64 and both games gathering dust somewhere...) and I don't want to sound like a bitter platformer fan, but despite the fact that they've clearly put something rather good together here I'd still rather it was like the old games because at least then I wouldn't suck so hard at the demo that I'm not going to buy it!

GhaleonEB

My daughter digs the demo, so I'm going to get it for her for Christmas.

But I have to say, this game - going by the demo - has some of the worst tutorials ever. We've spent two hours playing it today, and it's fun, but we still have no idea what we're supposed to be doing in the levels, or how to take a vehicle out of the garage and into the game. And when we have a vehicle that doesn't work, we can't figure out why. The menu system is a real mess. Hopefully the manual clears all this stuff up.

Kuroyume

Banned
BluWacky said:
I can appreciate how awesome this game is, but I just can't play it :(

I have absolutely no mechanical awareness at all, and so this whole game is a complete nightmare for me. I just don't understand how to build vehicles effectively for different tasks, and I seem to be completely incapable of using the blueprint ones properly, so anything beyond simple racing is just too frustrating for me!

I don't like "driving" missions in general - they were my least favourite part of Jak 3, for instance - but I like the idea of the construction aspect and the challenges being a bit more inspired (even if they boil down to the same sorts of things) than in most games of this ilk. I'm just so awful at it and so disinterested that it's not for me.

The engine is fantastic, the game looks and sounds gorgeous, and it's clearly an excellent game. But it's just too, well, hard for me.

Rare will get my money for Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie (I still have my N64 and both games gathering dust somewhere...) and I don't want to sound like a bitter platformer fan, but despite the fact that they've clearly put something rather good together here I'd still rather it was like the old games because at least then I wouldn't suck so hard at the demo that I'm not going to buy it!

It's not that tough. I'm like you in the sense that I prefer just to play a game than having to tinker around with some creation tool. I have barely touched forged and I didn't have the patience to sit in LBP's creation room during the beta for more than 10 minutes. It was too overwhelming. The creation tool in this game is ridiculously simple and yet tremendously gratifying. It's just like building something with legos.

painey

Michan said:
Looks like all three of GAF's LDs are buying this game!

I can't believe the UK is getting this last.
Technically it'll be out in the rest of Europe an hour - a couple of hours earlier due to time differences.

at least we are rewarded by having to pay full price for a budget title.

Blader

As much as I want to play this game, I am 10000x more excited for Banjo-Kazooie on XBLA. Easily one of my top 5 favorite games of all time.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Alright, got into the second world. It's
inside the next-next gen Logbox 720, you even get graphical glitches if you hit stuff!
One thing I did not expect, and not really enjoy, is that there are enemies in the worlds trying to prevent you from actually going to places and stuff. I thought they'd be restricted to only challenges and others, and it really annoys me. So far they are not too tough, but I expect they'll be much more of a bother in the future.

Blimblim said:
Alright, got into the second world. It's
inside the next-next gen Logbox 720, you even get graphical glitches if you hit stuff!
One thing I did not expect, and not really enjoy, is that there are enemies in the worlds trying to prevent you from actually going to places and stuff. I thought they'd be restricted to only challenges and others, and it really annoys me. So far they are not too tough, but I expect they'll be much more of a bother in the future.
So this pretty much confirms that you can get some jiggys without challenges?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Shadowlink123 said:
So this pretty much confirms that you can get some jiggys without challenges?
I don't see how this confirms this. But you can get jiggys "for free". Not sure if it's in the demo or not so spoiler
you get a free jiggy at the top of the "castle"

Wizpig

VALIS said:
I was quite impressed with the demo. Banjo Land is one of the more visually unique and appealing worlds I've seen in gaming, up there with the best level designs from Psychonauts, Ico and God of War. The game plays like one part Banjo-Kazooie, one part Diddy Kong Racing and one part Lego Mindstorm toys. I'm really looking forward to it.

Even though the demo thread was far more positive than I thought it would be, it has been very amusing to read anyway, as this is a game where you're going to get as much enjoyment out of it as you put into it, and a lot of people's criticisms would have been met if they bothered to experiment with the game. Such as...

"Where's the platforming?!"
There's a good deal of traditional platforming in the demo, it's just not right in front of you. Jumping on platforms, balancing on ledges, climbing, hitting or jumping on enemies -- it's all there. Climb up on top of the L.O.G.'s house, or the other houses in Showdown Town. Fly up to the top of Banjo Land and navigate the narrow cat walks up there.

"Banjo has no moves, he can only run and swing Kazooie. It's so obvious they want you to spend all your times in vehicles!"
Don't forget this is a demo. There's a gym in the final game where Banjo trains for more moves.

"The vehicles control like shit!"
Obviously they're supposed to be a bit clunky and floaty, they're toy-like vehicles you build with a magic wrench from parts in a box, you're obviously not playing Forza Motorsport here. Also, you have to make the vehicles control better by tweaking them or building new ones from better parts.

"The objectives are too hard! I can't do (x)!"
Did you try to build a vehicle specifically designed to accomplish your goal? Or sometimes you can just complete objectives on foot instead. It's a sandbox game. There are multiple approaches to everything.

The two criticisms from the demo I think are reasonable is the nature of the challenges -- the ones in the demo are too brief and simple, and the small text seems to be a big issue for those with smaller TVs and/or SDTVs.
Not like Boggy will train Kazooie her old N64 moves anyway... :(
Also climbing LOG's house was awesome but the camera was so shitty you just understand the game is not made for that.
Keep in mind that i played the other Banjo games when i was a kid, so i do have the nostalgia effect and there are many things i just can't like as an *cough*hardcore*cough* fan.
But the game seems awesome anyway, except for the actual missions, so yeah... i'm sure i will like it :)

But anyway, i preordered it from GAME UK, i wonder if someone already got their BK 64 code from them?

JSnake

Blimblim said:
I don't see how this confirms this. But you can get jiggys "for free". Not sure if it's in the demo or not so spoiler
you get a free jiggy at the top of the "castle"

YES! So glad to hear that! :D

dejay

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
My daughter digs the demo, so I'm going to get it for her for Christmas.

But I have to say, this game - going by the demo - has some of the worst tutorials ever. We've spent two hours playing it today, and it's fun, but we still have no idea what we're supposed to be doing in the levels, or how to take a vehicle out of the garage and into the game. And when we have a vehicle that doesn't work, we can't figure out why. The menu system is a real mess. Hopefully the manual clears all this stuff up.

You can't actually take vehicles out of the garage to drive around - at least as far as I know. In the demo at least the vehicles you make are for challanges only. You do get to upgrade your trolley in the full game and I've seen footage of flying vehicles in Showdown Town, so obviously there's more to it.

Also I thought the menus were quite intuitive but then I am a genius :p

Top Bottom