• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Blimblim said:
Just wanted to share this with you guys
bknb.jpg

This is stupid amazing :D

dejay

Banned
I wanna fire up the demo again but I don't want to get burnt out on that same area of Showdown Town so I'll wait.

JB1981

GhaleonEB said:
My daughter digs the demo, so I'm going to get it for her for Christmas.

But I have to say, this game - going by the demo - has some of the worst tutorials ever. We've spent two hours playing it today, and it's fun, but we still have no idea what we're supposed to be doing in the levels, or how to take a vehicle out of the garage and into the game. And when we have a vehicle that doesn't work, we can't figure out why. The menu system is a real mess. Hopefully the manual clears all this stuff up.
Yep.

JSnake

HK-47 said:
*facepalm*

Hey man I've played Crysis on maximum and it truly is a beauty. But outside of Crysis, I think N&B is the prettiest game I've seen. That's what I meant anyway. It's not like I said it looked better than Crysis. :p

Prine

Banned
Yeah, Rare are in a league of its own when it comes to graphics and music. Not many can match them. Artistically Rare's games post PDZ have been very un-Rare...

Surfheart

So people are loving this game for how it looks?

I see lots of comments like, oh the missions/challenge suck, but DAY ONE!!!

I wish I could love the game like alot of you guys are I really do. It so beautiful and colourful, but I found the game parts so horribly broken. It's like I'm playing a different game. Biggest dissapointment this year for me. Another Spore where the focus on the allowing the player to create stuff was put ahead of decent gameplay mechanics.

Prine

Banned
We're given so little to play with and yet its still so much fun. The gameplay is there, its down to the challenges and how intelligent they are.

Im not going to cry over the demo challenges though, as its most likely targeted for beginers with minimal options for customisation.

This has the potential to be one of Rare's best games

preordered, with BK code, but not expecting anything mindblowing. This won't be Galaxy 2, for sure

I hope it plays at least decently

graphics are great, never questioned Rare's ability to squeeze the crap outta consoles

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Blimblim said:
Just wanted to share this with you guys
Ack! The compression artifacts... They're stabbing my eyes. :/
Oh yeah, I ordered the game tonight.

Surfheart said:
So people are loving this game for how it looks?

I see lots of comments like, oh the missions/challenge suck, but DAY ONE!!!
In a way I didn't like the demo, but the thing is... I know I'll like the full game much more. Why?

Because every single thing I do in the demo, every hard set of jumps, every thing I design etc I'll have to do again in the full game. But it wont matter there... because I'm progressing. :D

It's the same reason I wouldn't touch the LBP beta.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Adent said:
I have my Banjo Kazooie code but it doesn't work. :(
WTF? Where did you preorder? I didn't get a code yet. I ordered from one of the participating retailers and they claimed the bonuses weren't all spoken for yet, but did I just get fucked?

Kuroyume

Banned
A page I came across:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/b/bknutsandbolts/20080820-preorder.htm

If you can't get enough of Banjo when Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts makes its exclusive Xbox 360® debut on November 11, you can rediscover what made this franchise one of the most popular games of all time when the classic Banjo-Kazooie takes flight exclusively on Xbox LIVE® Arcade on November 26.

Banjo-Kazooie for Xbox LIVE Arcade will be available for 1200 Microsoft Points, but there's still time to take advantage of the Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts pre-order offer. Pre-order Banjo's latest adventure at participating retailers and you'll get Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts as well as a complimentary code to download Banjo-Kazooie from Xbox LIVE Arcade nearly two weeks before its global release.

Participate in this pre-order program for the added benefit of getting your hands on the goodies that wait to be unlocked in "Stop N' Swop" before anyone else.

They make it sound like we'll be getting the original game earlier and not just the code. Anyway, there's the release date.

does anyone get the "toy commander" feel when playing the demo (a good feeling btw)?

I do, I think its cause the world is so big and your controlling vehicles that control kinda crappy.....ala toy commander

I know that sounds bad, but its actually great, because toy commander was the shit

watkinzez

I can understand people's complaints about Rare's art for some of their games, but this one? No clue. Great character and world design all round.

VALIS

Fixed2BeBroken said:
does anyone get the "toy commander" feel when playing the demo (a good feeling btw)?

I do, I think its cause the world is so big and your controlling vehicles that control kinda crappy.....ala toy commander

I know that sounds bad, but its actually great, because toy commander was the shit

Yes! I was gonna reference Toy Commander in the demo thread, but I didn't think many people played that game. Clunky toy vehicles in a huge world.

I'm super psyched for this game, but my complaint since the beginning has been that perhaps Banjo wasn't the proper franchise to try this idea out on. I can see this being more of a Conker thing, or perhaps another Rare character that hasn't gotten their own game yet. Tiptup's Nutz and Boltz sounds better to me, and I would probably be less skeptical, on the whole. Meanwhile we could be playing Banjo-Threeie.

This game just doesn't seem to fall into the "adventure" genre, like the previous games did, and that's kind of a shame. But hey, I can't complain too much. It's still obviously a phenomenal game.

As far as presentation and graphics and music and style go, they hit the nail on the head. This is Banjo-Kazooie. It FEELS like Banjo-Kazooie. And perhaps in the end, that's more important than being able to do the flip-flap jump.

Tieno

cjelly said:
Why do you think they have to help out the likes of Bungie and Turn 10? :D
afaik Rare gave a pinata sound file to Bungie for Halo 3 (sound when popping a grunt with grunt party skull on (can't remember the exact name))

BrodiemanTTR said:
Played the demo. This is not Banjo-Kazooie. I don't know what this is, but it's not Banjo-Kazooie. Or fun.

I was really looking forward to Banjo Kazooie: N&B. Playing the demo is really depressing for me. I went in with an open mind and all, but I think the core gameplay is really a step back.

They said that the conventional gameplay felt "stale" when they tried to develop the game initially, but I don't understand that complaint. Mario Galaxy never felt stale or dated to me. There's a lot of potential here.

I don't find the vehicle/mini-game gameplay to be very fun at all. In fact, I find the gameplay of this game to be VERY stale. It's very frustrating trial/error gameplay with poor controls and I can definitely see the missions getting repetitive throughout the entire game.What makes it worse is that while I find the gameplay to be extremely lackluster, the presentation and Banjo charm is all there. It's like such a cocktease. I waited so long for the next Banjo, and what I ended up getting was a major step backwards (instead of the intended step forwards) for the series.

I'm going to skip BK and probably pick up Viva Pinata 2 in its place.

saunderez

autobzooty said:
I'm super psyched for this game, but my complaint since the beginning has been that perhaps Banjo wasn't the proper franchise to try this idea out on. I can see this being more of a Conker thing, or perhaps another Rare character that hasn't gotten their own game yet. Tiptup's Nutz and Boltz sounds better to me, and I would probably be less skeptical, on the whole. Meanwhile we could be playing Banjo-Threeie.
What makes you think they would have been developing another Banjo game simultaneously if they chose to use a different IP for this one? They said they tried making a traditional Banjo game and it felt stale. They would've moved onto something else.

Private Hoffman said:
Mario Galaxy never felt stale or dated to me.
It felt stale to me. I'm one of the few people that was horribly disappointed with Galaxy and although I'm still not feeling Nuts and Bolts entirely I'm willing to give the full game the benefit of the doubt. I think the game will really open up and shine once you've unlocked multiple areas and a lot more vehicle parts.

saunderez said:
What makes you think they would have been developing another Banjo game simultaneously if they chose to use a different IP for this one? They said they tried making a traditional Banjo game and it felt stale. They would've moved onto something else.

It felt stale to me. I'm one of the few people that was horribly disappointed with Galaxy and although I'm still not feeling Nuts and Bolts entirely I'm willing to give the full game the benefit of the doubt. I think the game will really open up and shine once you've unlocked multiple areas and a lot more vehicle parts.

Why do you think it feels stale? What are you playing instead of the would-be traditional Banjo?

A lot of companies innovate for the sake of innovation and Nintendo is more guilty of this than anyone. We never get Super Mario 64 2 or Mario Sunshine 2. They always have to reinvent the entire series before the release another one, when all I really want is some new levels on the same engine.

Rare always filled that gap by creating quality "Mario clones" back in the day with Banjo, Tooie, DK64, stuff like that. I wish they would just do that but maximize the potential of the current generation. I don't think that would be stale.

[Nintex]

Me and my friends love it. We're building all kinds of crazy vehicles, boats, UFO's etc.. The platform parts are still there, just try to climb on top of LOG's arcade machine. There's plenty of platforming in this game but isn't the real gameplay objective anymore. The challenges in the demo are simple but I've seen vids with better challenges. I agree that it isn't a regular Banjo Kazooie game anymore, but I don't think that's a bad thing because the vehicle gameplay works way better than I expected and it allows for bigger worlds. The only complaint I have are the voices, Captain Blubber doesn't burp no more!

Ramenman

Did someone manage to get a pic of Grunty drawing Banjo's head being chopped off his body with nice red blood splooshing out of its neck?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Blimblim said:
I think I've spent something like 3 hours just exploring the city. I only have 12 jiggies or so :p
This is what attracts me to the game more than anything. Just playing around with the vehicles in the different locales and exploring the hub world. :)

Costanza

Banned
speedy just posted the weekly ads for the 9th-15th on CAG.

Target and Circuit City (Best Buy isn't up yet) aren't even advertising the game. WTF Microsoft?

it's going to sell so poorly :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I get the feeling that the vehicles would have made a better fit in a straight up action game. They could have ressurected the Jet Force license and the 360 would then have its answer to Ratchet.

I also think, in the long term, Banjo N&B will sink or swim on its multiplayer options alone.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
saw a review of banjo on the net... 9/10. Don't really want to promote the site tho since they broke the embargo date and I don't support that. But I believe its a foreign fansite of some sorts. Nice score, haven't read the text yet.

JSnake

Caspel said:
saw a review of banjo on the net... 9/10. Don't really want to promote the site tho since they broke the embargo date and I don't support that. But I believe its a foreign fansite of some sorts. Nice score, haven't read the text yet.

I'd really like to see it. >_>

Top Bottom