• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Glix

So I have this game reserved, and I am in total game overload...

But I still couldn't resist the demo. I was rushed, got around 40 minutes in. The hub world was killing me. I was rushing and trying to show the game to my girl. There was a TON of exposition, and then, when they let me loose, it was all confusing. The hub world seemed weird.

Then I went into the game world, or whatever...

Totally amazing. Honestly, I spent the whole time on the soccer ball game, I got so crazy, I didn't even check out the other stuff, just kept tweaking my vechicle to try and do it better.

QUESTION - Does anyone know if the events are made so that you can get the TT trophy when you first encounter the event, or is it meant for you to just get the jiggy, and then come back to the world when you have more parts, to try and build something even MORE efficient for the event?

So, yeah, I loved it, but the hub world freaked me out a bit.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
JSnake said:
Thanks. Will you mind if I update the OP with it? If so, I'll wait until the 5th.

up to you, i just don't favor people breaking embargoes and, thus, I won't promote their work.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Glix said:
QUESTION - Does anyone know if the events are made so that you can get the TT trophy when you first encounter the event, or is it meant for you to just get the jiggy, and then come back to the world when you have more parts, to try and build something even MORE efficient for the event?
I got the TT trophy on the first try with the race that Bottles gives you, but I couldn't edit that... hmm...
I've never really thought about that.

blanky

I really loved the demo, me and my sister just wasted time making vehicles from all the stuff we could find and that was so much fun. It also looks gorgeous and with a lot of humour. Though with the rush of games lately and the lack of money I'm afraid it'll have to wait. But I really like it, it plays really smooth and the building is awesome. Springs ftw!

soco

the review was interesting, but it didn't go much into detail about the diversity, or lack thereof, of the missions. it was a rather generic (without many details) kinda review. the biggest major detail the guy stuck on was the font size.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
JSnake said:
OK, I updated the OP with NZGamer's review. Hope you don't mind too much, Caspel.

like I said, I won't promote websites that break embargoes -- but that doesn't stop other people from doing so. I oblige to the embargoes that I am given, just wish other people did so also. I've had the game for a couple days now and I've been enjoying it, wish there wasn't an embargo or else my review would be up by now.

Fantastical said:
I got the TT trophy on the first try with the race that Bottles gives you, but I couldn't edit that... hmm...
I've never really thought about that.

I got the TT trophy on the other race by building a motorcycle with 3 engines, one medium that you buy from Humba. There so many to do in this fucking game, god, and it's only a demo.

VALIS

The review also mentions there are 1600 different vehicle parts in the game. Wow! I wish there were a way to upload screenshots to the internet from in the game like a lot of other games seem to have these days, because there are gonna be some wild vehicle creations.

gwiz210

VALIS said:
The review also mentions there are 1600 different vehicle parts in the game. Wow! I wish there were a way to upload screenshots to the internet from in the game like a lot of other games seem to have these days, because there are gonna be some wild vehicle creations.
Thats actually a feature that will be included in the full game. The screenshots will be up at http://banjo-kazooie.com/

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I just noticed the B-K.com forums has got an updated list of retailers that are doing the XBLA codes. I'm happy that Woolworths have been added, as I got it pre-ordered for £28 from there. :D

* UK/IRELAND: Amazon, Play.com, Game, Gamestation, Argos, HMV, Zavvi, Woolworths, CD Wow, Tesco Online.
* USA: Amazon, EB Games, GameStop, GameCrazy and Best Buy (online)
* FRANCE: Micromania and Game
* SPAIN: Game
* ITALY: GameStop
* BELGIUM: Game Mania
* NETHERLANDS: Bart Smit, Bol.com, Consoleshop, Free Record Shop, 12Game.com, Xboxhome, Foregames, Dimension Plus, Gameshop Twente
* SCANDINAVIA: Game, GameStop, Webbhallen, CDON, Discshop
* NEW ZEALAND: EB NZ and Gameplanet
* CANADA: EB Games and Toys R Us
* AUSTRALIA: EB, Game, JB HiFi, Dick Smith Electronics/Powerhouse and Harvey Norman.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
That review was decent. It didn't go into any specifics or anything like I was hoping though.

Dabanton

VALIS said:

Excellent, 1600 parts sounds plenty.The joy of the game for me is thinking of a contraption then making it come to fruition in the workshop.

Cannot wait for the game.:D

Sean

Banned
Costanza said:
speedy just posted the weekly ads for the 9th-15th on CAG.

Target and Circuit City (Best Buy isn't up yet) aren't even advertising the game. WTF Microsoft?

it's going to sell so poorly :(

Figures. Microsoft didn't do shit for Viva Pinata 2 (no commercials or any type of advertising) and I doubt they'll do anything for Banjo either.

ampere

4 player local multiplayer? Didn't know about that! :O
I've had this preordered for months, it might be my GOTY.

watkinzez

VALIS said:

1600 parts, but only 100ish unique parts. That review is press release regurgitation of the worst degree.

VALIS

watkinzez said:
1600 parts, but only 100ish unique parts. That review is press release regurgitation of the worst degree.

Yeah, I didn't figure it was 1600 completely unique parts. More like Small Motor, Medium Motor, Large Motor; Small Wheel, Medium Wheel, Large Wheel, etc.

I just picked up my Banjo XBLA code from gamestop. I wish we could redeem these now but we have to wait for the release of nuts and bolts :(

Surfheart

BobFromPikeCreek said:
So?

How about we judge the game based on what it is, rather than what it isn't.

My problem is with what it is.
I truly hope that the demo was not representative of meat of the gameplay in the full thing. I thought the challenges were unispired and most importantly, the vehicles were just horrible to control. Clanker's eye challenge was the most frustrating thing I've endured in all my time gaming and I had to quit the demo after a few tries at the Soccer challenge for fear of my sanity.

I'm fine with a new direction, if you look at the old thread revealing the new direction you would find posts from me praising the fact that they changed it up. The way vehicles feel to control in the situations presented in the demo just felt broken to me.

gkryhewy

Really liked the demo - about the only thing I'm disappointed with is the framerate. Any chance it'll be improved in the retail? It really is sort of crap.

neight

Banned
Sean said:
Figures. Microsoft didn't do shit for Viva Pinata 2 (no commercials or any type of advertising) and I doubt they'll do anything for Banjo either.
Because all the money MS spent on promoting Viva Pinata 1(complete with a tv show) paid off so well for them?

border

Played a little bit of the demo. All I can say is that I'm surprised that Rare has learned nothing from Viva Pinata. Once again, they've created a youth-themed game that is far too complex for any youth to approach. Like VP I think this will reward adults that chose to dive-in head first, but it will never find much of an audience.

If Microsoft wants to capture the "family" crowd, they really need to hook up with Traveler's Tales or something. That's a dev house that understands how to make family-friendly games compelling and addictive without introducing a lot of convoluted nonsense. Just going through the vehicle-building tutorial, I found myself thinking "How is any average player going to do this without a guide?"

Susurrus

I should be getting a code from Amazon eventually, but I won't have access to my 360 until late january. Will this expire before then? I hope not. :(

Or isn't NXE allowing you to buy games online and then download it later? Maybe I'll do that.

Also, any word on Banjo-Tooie? I never got around to playing that one more than from borrowing for a while. :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Susurrus said:
I should be getting a code from Amazon eventually, but I won't have access to my 360 until late january. Will this expire before then? I hope not. :(

Or isn't NXE allowing you to buy games online and then download it later? Maybe I'll do that.
Marketplace only. They don't offer retail Xbox 360 games for download yet.

edit: Oops, thought this was the L4D thread. I don't think the code will expire. MS says they do but they don't (and if they do it usually doesn't take more than a phone call to clear things up)

KevinCow

Banned
I'm really not a fan of the vehicular focus, but I do want to try this game out. The art style's really grown on me since its debut (especially Banjo's model, which I hated at first, but may now even prefer over the original), maybe the vehicular focus will as well. It'll definitely be the first game I get when I get around to buying a 360. Maybe I'll even even rent it and play it on my sister's 360 before then.

I hope, though, that if they make a Banjo 4, they bring back some elements of the original games. Maybe make the focus of the game half and half on traditional platforming and vehicles. Have some smaller classic style levels where you're not allowed to use vehicles because of some plot device. I think that would be the best of both worlds.

border said:
Played a little bit of the demo. All I can say is that I'm surprised that Rare has learned nothing from Viva Pinata. Once again, they've created a youth-themed game that is far too complex for any youth to approach. Like VP I think this will reward adults that chose to dive-in head first, but it will never find much of an audience.
The real issue is that it's seen as a "youth-themed" game by so many 360 owners in the first place. Rare wasn't aiming to make a kids' game, they were setting out to make a game that they wanted to make, and it just happens to use bright colors. I imagine it'd easily find a market on either of the other systems, seeing as how similarly styled games such as Ratchet and Mario sell perfectly fine on them.

Pyrokai

LiquidMetal14 said:
I wish this game well. I cancelled my paid preorder and switched it for Left 4 Dead. I did get a voucher for the original on XBL though.

I just got both. Why cancel Banjo?

border said:
If Microsoft wants to capture the "family" crowd, they really need to hook up with Traveler's Tales or something.
Yuck no.

I mean, I wouldn't mind a studio like TT making other family-oriented games on the 360, but I'm glad Rare is doing what they're doing. The Lego * games are certainly family-friendly, but they're also really primitive and lack any of the creativity that makes Nuts & Bolts so intriguing to me (and presumably many others).

(Also, I think you're vastly underestimating the amount of complexity that a lot of kids can handle. If the concept is enough to keep them interested, a kid could pick this up without much trouble.)

Susurrus said:
Also, any word on Banjo-Tooie? I never got around to playing that one more than from borrowing for a while. :(
It's been announced for XBLA, but it's not coming until sometime next year.

border said:

If Microsoft wants to capture the "family" crowd, they really need to hook up with Traveler's Tales or something. That's a dev house that understands how to make family-friendly games compelling and addictive without introducing a lot of convoluted nonsense. Just going through the vehicle-building tutorial, I found myself thinking "How is any average player going to do this without a guide?"
Don't know why bright, cartoony art automatically means "youth game" was their intent.

border

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Don't know why bright, cartoony art automatically means "youth game" was their intent.
You could have said the same about Viva Pinata - at the end of the day, the results will be the same.

rohlfinator said:
(Also, I think you're vastly underestimating the amount of complexity that a lot of kids can handle. If the concept is enough to keep them interested, a kid could pick this up without much trouble.)
It's a level of complexity even I don't really want to handle. "Build this vehicle, deal with the wonky controls, collect a bunch of crap in a ridiculously vast world." Meh.

saunderez

I've witnessed an 11 year old girl collect every pinata in Viva Pinata 1. Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is a breeze in comparison to the micromanagement involved in achieving that feat.

PSGames

border said:
It's a level of complexity even I don't really want to handle. "Build this vehicle, deal with the wonky controls, collect a bunch of crap in a ridiculously vast world." Meh.

You could have said this in your first post. The game is not for you, doesn't mean it's too complex for anyone else.

Top Bottom