• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

watkinzez

Using the editor mid-challenge is a must when saddled with one of the predetermined vehicles. It's possible to remove the reversed steering in Bear in a Ball, for instance.

It always makes me smile when this thread is bumped. :)

watkinzez said:
Using the editor mid-challenge is a must when saddled with one of the predetermined vehicles. It's possible to remove the reversed steering in Bear in a Ball, for instance.

Wait you can edit the shitty "log" vehicles mid challenge?

[Nintex]

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Wait you can edit the shitty "log" vehicles mid challenge?
Yep, get out of the vehicle and press B. You can't add new stuff(unless you find it along the way) but you can rearrange the parts.

[Nintex] said:
Yep, get out of the vehicle and press B. You can't add new stuff(unless you find it along the way) but you can rearrange the parts.

Sweet, is there something you should usually do to make it handle better. I'm in
Banjo land where you have to pick up everyone to clock out from work and use the log snake train. But because of how the cars are attached they just swing and make it impossible to steer. :/ The whole third act is kicking my ass. I can't get any of them.

Persona7

Banned
I forgot how fucking fun this game is. Seriously, I can spend hours just screwing around and doing absolutely nothing.

I feel sorry for the people who opted to just pass this game and never give it a try because "ITS NOT A PLATFORMER".

Sydle

Seeing this thread get bumped reminds me I never got around to L.O.G.'s Lost Challenges...

I hope I'm not complete rubbish when I turn the game on after nearly a year's hiatus.

Also need to get the online achievements. Add me if you want to play, GT is Sydle.

Persona7

Banned
How well did this game sell anyways? I thought I read an article somewhere that said it moved 650k units including being bundled.

Sydle

Persona7 said:
How well did this game sell anyways? I thought I read an article somewhere that said it moved 650k units including being bundled.

That sounds about right. In other words, not that well, but it's kind of Rare's fault for not doing anything with Banjo for nearly a decade and Microsoft not putting marketing dollars behind it. I remember when MS was talking about making Banjo a mascot for the 360...can't do that with one game that's, arguably, not highly accessible to casual players.

Persona7 said:
I forgot how fucking fun this game is. Seriously, I can spend hours just screwing around and doing absolutely nothing.

I feel sorry for the people who opted to just pass this game and never give it a try because "ITS NOT A PLATFORMER".

Eh, it took me replaying the first two on xbla to pick it up and give it a full play through. I only had 14 or 15 jiggies before and wound up restarting because I forgot everything. The collecting is like the first two which is what I think got me hooked the second time around and once the building park of it clicks it becomes a lot more fun than before.

Are the lost challenges DLC or something you unlock?

Persona7

Banned
Paco said:
That sounds about right. In other words, not that well, but it's kind of Rare's fault for not doing anything with Banjo for nearly a decade and Microsoft not putting marketing dollars behind it. I remember when MS was talking about making Banjo a mascot for the 360...can't do that with one game that's, arguably, not highly accessible to casual players.
I am confident that the game would have sold A LOT more if they at least put a decent amount of marketing into the game. I remember they had that 6 second TV ad that I saw ONCE and that was about it. It seems like they just threw the game out there on it's own and expected it to sell.

They should have heavily advertised it for the holidays.

Persona7 said:
I am confident that the game would have sold more if they at least put a decent amount of marketing into the game. I remember they had that 6 second TV ad that I saw ONCE and that was about it.

They should have heavily advertised it for the holidays.

It's really kind of amazing how under marketed so many games are. You would think at least one company would catch on and actually push their games.

With this thread getting a bump, I figured I'd post my discovery here instead of the mind-blowing video game thread: In the beginning of the game
when you're racing against Grunty's head as Fat Banjo, collecting as many Golden LOG thingies within the time limit, when LOG stops you, Grunty always has more thingies than you, right? Well, when the race starts, turn around instead! There's a whole bunch of them in the crater right behind you, and you'll get more thingies than her. I was amazed when I figured this out!
watkinzez said:
Likewise!
Paco said:
it's kind of Rare's fault for not doing anything with Banjo for nearly a decade and Microsoft not putting marketing dollars behind it. I remember when MS was talking about making Banjo a mascot for the 360...can't do that with one game that's, arguably, not highly accessible to casual players.
I don't totally agree with you. Rare's status on games (at least, recently) is to never do a sequel unless you have something new to bring. I understand their thought pattern, but I loved the old Banjo games for what they were, not because they were revolutionary. There was also a study recently that showed that 11% of gamers decided to buy a product because of advertising, whereas 33% decided to buy a game based on word of mouth, and unfortunately, the word spread around for this game was "ITS NOT A PLATFORMER!!1!" :(

And Microsoft and Rare did try to get people hyped about Banjo: The Lunchables packaging, releasing HD ports of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on XBLA with Stop N' Swop (and Stop N' Swop 2), and they even put Banjo and Kazooie in the Xbox 360 version of Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing. I don't think it's the last we've seen of Banjo; let's look at one of the images from Rare's Christmas Theme last year. We all see the tennis and table tennis rackets foreshadowing Kincet Sports, (and the TJ Combo boxing gloves to screw with us) but let's look closer:
53026f.png

ZOMG BANJO 2011 CONFIRMED!!

Persona7 said:
Awesome, I really hope RARE has a bunch of secret titles under wraps.
We know that they're working on XBLA games and that they have a few "surprises" left for us for their 25th anniversary. I seem to recall an interview with Mark Betteridge, where he said that Rare would make 1 big game with several smaller titles released per year. I think it was on GamesIndustry.biz, but I can't find the article, since I don't have an account.

Persona7 said:

Hopefully it sold terribly so Rare will stop making shitty games and release a real Banjo Kazooie game.

Sydle

The Awkward Wizard said:
With this thread getting a bump, I figured I'd post my discovery here instead of the mind-blowing video game thread: In the beginning of the game
when you're racing against Grunty's head as Fat Banjo, collecting as many Golden LOG thingies within the time limit, when LOG stops you, Grunty always has more thingies than you, right? Well, when the race starts, turn around instead! There's a whole bunch of them in the crater right behind you, and you'll get more thingies than her. I was amazed when I figured this out!

Likewise!

I don't totally agree with you. Rare's status on games (at least, recently) is to never do a sequel unless you have something new to bring. I understand their thought pattern, but I loved the old Banjo games for what they were, not because they were revolutionary. There was also a study recently that showed that 11% of gamers decided to buy a product because of advertising, whereas 33% decided to buy a game based on word of mouth, and unfortunately, the word spread around for this game was "ITS NOT A PLATFORMER!!1!" :(

And Microsoft and Rare did try to get people hyped about Banjo: The Lunchables packaging, releasing HD ports of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on XBLA with Stop N' Swop (and Stop N' Swop 2), and they even put Banjo and Kazooie in the Xbox 360 version of Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing.
I don't think it's the last we've seen of Banjo; let's look at one of the images from Rare's Christmas Theme last year. We all see the tennis and table tennis rackets foreshadowing Kincet Sports, (and the TJ Combo boxing gloves to screw with us) but let's look closer:
ZOMG BANJO 2011 CONFIRMED!!

Generating word of mouth is the holy grail of marketing tactics because it's so powerful, but that typically only works when there is a fair amount of promotional advertising to create awareness. And you have to get it out there over and over again to make it stick. Resurrecting old games available only through Live, an ad placement on a snack item, and a cameo in a racing game (came out over a year after N&B released) that also wasn't advertised very much is just not enough.

I think Rare's thought process of bringing out only new experiences is a big hinderance where they place too much pressure on themselves to crank out new ideas. It's really no wonder their games take so long to come out. I want to see them become like Insomniac or Naughty Dog, where they establish an IP that takes a lot of what's available and trending in popularity and make an incredibly polished product that stands above everything else. Think back to when Donkey Kong Country came out after Mario World, Banjo came out after Mario 64, or Diddy Kong Racing after Mario Kart 64...Rare used to be so good at taking what was available and making it their own. Their games were familiar, but had their own strengths that made each stand out as a unique must-have product.

Oh, and I sure hope there is another Banjo on the way. I'm there day one, but I really hope they listened and it has more platforming elements this time.

EDIT: I hope that bulldozer means there is a new Blast Corps on the way, because it could make a great XBLA game. The race car is promising...and I'm not sure what the rocket signifies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Hated what this game was when it was announced. Preordered, still having faith in RARE (and wanted free Banjo XBLA). Played it, and loved it. I didn't love all of it, and I still wish that it was a pure platformer, but I loved it for what it was. One of my favorite games for the 360. I think RARE definitely still has their magic, and this game shows it. It's incredibly fun when you get into it, and Showdown Town is a blast.

I should play this again. I think I will wait until Winter. Banjo games were always Winter games for me. :D

Tailzo

Funny to see this thread on the first page. I just bought the game for really, really cheap. The cheapest price I've ever paid for a new game.

It's fun so far, but I'm kinda confused as to where to go sometimes.

Tailzo said:
Funny to see this thread on the first page. I just bought the game for really, really cheap. The cheapest price I've ever paid for a new game.

It's fun so far, but I'm kinda confused as to where to go sometimes.

In what way? It's always marked on the map for where jiggies are in a level and where new stages that open up are on the mini map when in showdown town.

I'm up to 36 jiggies so I guess I'll sleep for the night.

Persona7

Banned
Anyone who is interested, the 5 dollar DLC is worth it

LOG's lost challenges

-12 new challenges
-seven new multiplayer modes,
-assorted unlockables (including new levels for Klungo's arcade game)

It takes places on a remixed version of the Test-o-Track, I felt it was a good amount of content for 5 bucks and I can recommend it.

Wizpig

The Lost Challenges showed everyone how DLCs should be done, especially because of the pricing, but of course the game bombed and Rare did no new DLC.

V_Ben

Banned
I had forgotten that I don't own this game. Shopto has it for £8, so i've gone and bought it. Can't wait to play the whole thing again :D

V_Ben

Banned
Actually, I hope Rare still makes that PC version they were talking about. Even if its digital only, I can dream, can't I?

[Nintex]

The Awkward Wizard said:
We know that they're working on XBLA games and that they have a few "surprises" left for us for their 25th anniversary. I seem to recall an interview with Mark Betteridge, where he said that Rare would make 1 big game with several smaller titles released per year. I think it was on GamesIndustry.biz, but I can't find the article, since I don't have an account.
Back then they said that we would see different products coming from Rare next to their usual output. That interview is from 2008 or 2009 I think, so I'm not sure if its still relevant after the changes in 2009. I recall a GAF member who said that he had a friend that used to work for Rare and that they were going to announce multiple games at E3. Not to mention the rumor that the Nuts & Bolts 2 team was set to work on Kinect Fitness and a Banjo game without music from Grant... I dunno

Tailzo

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
In what way? It's always marked on the map for where jiggies are in a level and where new stages that open up are on the mini map when in showdown town.

I'm up to 36 jiggies so I guess I'll sleep for the night.
I can't remember exactly, but I got a mission to find sometimes I have no idea what looks like. So I looked around aimlessly, hoping that the object would shine or something. After doing that for a while, I restarted the mission with the same problem.

Is there enough notes in the game to buy all the blueprints/parts? Seems I had too many notes in the beginning now it's like I don't have enough to buy anything. Also, I seem to get stuck at 125/130 out of 200 notes in the levels. Are the last 75 always impossible to find? I thought I scoured the first level and still only 125...

Just hit 41 jiggies though. :D

Sydle

Working on getting the last few jiggies and achievements...I'm at 122. I really don't like the Terrarium of Terror.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there enough notes in the game to buy all the blueprints/parts? Seems I had too many notes in the beginning now it's like I don't have enough to buy anything. Also, I seem to get stuck at 125/130 out of 200 notes in the levels. Are the last 75 always impossible to find? I thought I scoured the first level and still only 125...

Just hit 41 jiggies though. :D

Yes, so long as you don't spend them on bribing the cops (editted).

IIRC, you win more notes by completing the TT challenges.

[Nintex] said:
Back then they said that we would see different products coming from Rare next to their usual output. That interview is from 2008 or 2009 I think, so I'm not sure if its still relevant after the changes in 2009.
Are you referring to this article? It's not that, it was a different Mark Betteridge article, written fairly recently, saying specifically they were going to release a big game once a year and in addition, several smaller titles. It's driving me mad that I can't find it! :lol
[Nintex] said:
I recall a GAF member who said that he had a friend that used to work for Rare and that they were going to announce multiple games at E3. Not to mention the rumor that the Nuts & Bolts 2 team was set to work on Kinect Fitness and a Banjo game without music from Grant... I dunno
You're referring to the poster whose friend worked for Rare and then left for Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment? If I recall correctly, he just said that Rare had a bunch of stuff, he didn't say that they would reveal it all at E3. Microsoft said they were going to announce some stuff at Gamescom, so fingers crossed! The Kinect Fitness rumor was from Shiggy, who's very reliable and from VG247. Also, if I remember correctly, Ice Mario from the Rare Witch Project said that the Banjo team started work on a BK:N&B sequel, but it was quickly shelved for Kinect (ARGH! Another source I can't find!)

Jzero15 said:
Man i want a new Banjo game on Wii, too broke to afford a 360

Um....

Paco said:
Working on getting the last few jiggies and achievements...I'm at 122. I really don't like the Terrarium of Terror.

Yes, so long as you don't spend them with Bottles.

IIRC, you win more notes by completing the TT challenges.

Haven't spent any at bottles but have used some at the gym since his slow as hell walk speed was pissing me off.

Tomasooie

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Um....

Haven't spent any at bottles but have used some at the gym since his slow as hell walk speed was pissing me off.

There's actually enough to purchase all the parts, gym upgrades and Bottles tips. Don't bribe the cops -- that's the only real way to waste notes.

Sydle

Tomasooie said:
There's actually enough to purchase all the parts, gym upgrades and Bottles tips. Don't bribe the cops -- that's the only real way to waste notes.

Thanks for the correction. I completely forgot you could bribe the cops.

man, I gotta try this game out. Initially I was disappointed to hear that it wasn't going to be a platformer, however, the idea of being able to build your own vehicles intrigued me (after all, I used to spend countless hours playing with Legos as a kid). But when I tried the demo, it just didn't click.

I'm thinking it's probably one of those games that takes a while to get into though...something that can't be done within the confines of a demo. So I'm gonna order it pretty soon, after I get through a few games on my backlog.

C4Lukins

Everything about this game makes me sad. It is an 80 on Gamerankings. Not that Gamerankings is the end all of quality, but the fact that even "hardcore" reviewers in general just found it to be good and not great.

What is funny about Nuts and Bolts is that the platforming elements are indeed the worst aspect of the game. As far as art style only the Galaxy games, Mirror's Edge, and some lower budget indie games can compete with it. It really deserved tons of success and it is sad to see how overlooked it was.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
every time this thread is bumped I want to gush about this game.

I'll restrain myself this time, though.

Tomasooie

I'll gush.
C4Lukins said:
Everything about this game makes me sad. It is an 80 on Gamerankings. Not that Gamerankings is the end all of quality, but the fact that even "hardcore" reviewers in general just found it to be good and not great.

What is funny about Nuts and Bolts is that the platforming elements are indeed the worst aspect of the game. As far as art style only the Galaxy games, Mirror's Edge, and some lower budget indie games can compete with it. It really deserved tons of success and it is sad to see how overlooked it was.
I dunno; it was a very flawed game. A lot of the challenges, which should have been the backbone of the game, were uninspired and Rare copped out by including too many racing challenges. Banjo's been in more racing games than platformers now.

The worlds were barren and devoid of any interesting landmarks (save for Showdown Town and Banjoland), a stark contrast to the imaginative worlds in the older games.

The enemies were horribly designed; in fact, most of the few characters in this game are as well (Humba and Boggy). The older games managed to have a huge and charming cast; this one couldn't even deal with a few.

I could go on and on... It's clear to me that this game deserves around an 80, even though I loved the hell out of it. I also don't think it's even worthy of the Banjo-Kazooie name, because the Banjo feel just isn't up to snuff. They needed original music, creative worlds, lots of funny characters and situations, but they gave us the complete opposite.

A lot of aspects come off as lazy. They didn't do voiceovers because they felt part of the charm of the original games was in the mumbling. So they half-ass the mumbling and play it for a second, while the text scrolls at ten times the speed it did in the original games. Reusing the same five characters in every level, reusing most of the old melodies...it reeks of laziness (well, the latter might just be too much fan service).

I love the original Banjo games because of the creativity on display. They could have nailed that in this game, and should have, because above all -- this game encourages creativity, and yet they failed, overall.

Perhaps Rare could alleviate these concerns with a sequel, but if they bring Banjo back once again, I'd rather they bring him back to do what he and Kazooie were designed to do in the first place: go on platforming adventures.

bridegur

Finally got a chance to play this. It's easily the most visually appealing 360 game I've played; it's just a shame that the gameplay is so blah. I would've loved to see Rare make something similar to the first BK using this engine, but it looks like it's too late for that.

Fuck the haters, this is one of the most fun games I've ever played. I get so much enjoyment out of tricking the game into giving me workshop items that I'm not supposed to have yet :D

_Alkaline_ said:
Anyone else find it weird how the game has virtually no pop-in textures, but Showdown Town is full of it?

It's not pop-in textures, but rather a LOD problem. The draw distance in the hub world is huge, and the game engine can't cope with that level of geometry unless it dynamically uses different levels of detail, not to mention the problems storing the high detail models on the limited available memory. That's almost a non-issue for the other worlds, though, because they're far smaller.

PumpkinPie said:
Fuck the haters, this is one of the most fun games I've ever played. I get so much enjoyment out of tricking the game into giving me workshop items that I'm not supposed to have yet :D
Making your cart fly with a box right? yeah I did that too lol

NEO0MJ

Diablohead said:
Making your cart fly with a box right? yeah I did that too lol

I did that the hard way by balancing boxes and other parts together then quickly jump on them till I reached the top before they collapsed.

Top Bottom