• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Thread

Cdammen said:
Picked up the game yesterday and wow! This game is beatiful and really fun to play. I'm working my way through LOGbox 720 and the jokes/digs at Microsoft, video game clichées and RARE are hilarious at times. The music is my favorite audiovisual part of the game, it's really catchy and masterfully composed. Robin Beanland, Grant Kirkhope and Dave Clynick I bow to you!

The physics are top-notch and once you learn its gameyness you can exploit it. RARE seem to have thought about everything taking "cheats" into consideration. They want you to be creative and think outside of the "huh a X mission, I'll build a X" logic :)

This game needs more hype, it's really underrated, it does so many innovative things.

Agreed awesome game, people dismissed it far to easy

FerranMG

It's been already 3 months since I beat this game (and I stopped playing it) and I still find myself from time to time thinking what awesome vehicles I could build, or a better way to beat a few challenges that got stuck in my mind.

This game was awesome, and much more great than I ever thought it would be.

Cdammen

FFChris said:
Unfortunately it got caught with a lot of negativity because it wasn't a 'true banjo game'.
Yeah, I find this weird because the game contains all the Banjo-Kazooie trademarks. You collect a lot of things, explore huge areas, get new moves and there is even some platforming on foot. But hey, this has been discussed too exhaustion and I don't want to start a debate... again.

I also wanted to comment on the graphics. The water effects are stunning. I love how the water spray looks when Banjo swims and the overall look of the water is great, maybe the best unrealistic interpretation of fluid since Super Mario Sunshine. The game also seems to have an insane amount of AA. I couldn't see jagged edges anywhere, it was silky smooth.

I did the long jump at the Colosseum and built three different crafts. Ended up using a machine that was 90% engines. Used a seat launcher and a detacher. I think I got 749 points (I have to check the replay tomorrow). I'm brainstorming vehicles even when I'm not playing the game, that's how good the editor/game is.

Hawk SE

I've had this in my collection for over a year. I need to dust this off soon and finish it.

I probably would have finished it long ago, but my game save got corrupted.

Flipside

Started playing it a bit again after a few months. It's fun as a 'play an hour every now and then' type of game but I too am one of those people who had preferred a platformer (not enough quality platformers this gen :( ).

What bothers me is that developers keep on throwing in achievements which are linked to ranked matches. The last couple of time I played it there was nobody playing this game online making it impossible to ever get the achievements. Would be nice to patch it so you could get them just playing with friends split-screen.

MMaRsu

I bought this game yesterday, jumping into it now for about two hours, then it's sleepy time. But holy shit the writing in this game is hilarious!

So much of the fourth wall breaking stuff going on.. love it!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks for the bump, it reminds me that I need to get this game again. It's worth it just for the workshop, I made some of the most ridiculous vehicles ever, my favorite being the "Failmobile" which was basically a tower with four wheels and Banjo on top that would tip over with the slightest bump. So good.

Flipside said:
Started playing it a bit again after a few months. It's fun as a 'play an hour every now and then' type of game but I too am one of those people who had preferred a platformer (not enough quality platformers this gen :( ).

What bothers me is that developers keep on throwing in achievements which are linked to ranked matches. The last couple of time I played it there was nobody playing this game online making it impossible to ever get the achievements. Would be nice to patch it so you could get them just playing with friends split-screen.
beautiful graphics, ingenious gameplay, and it punishes achievement whores nicely. this game truly does it all.

warbegins said:
beautiful graphics, ingenious gameplay, and it punishes achievement whores nicely. this game truly does it all.
:lol

I'm still looking for the magic machine for the Grunty finale. Can anyone send me (Speculawyer) plans for a good one? I hate the designing of vehicles aspect.

Montresor

I started playing this game in early March. I was extremely skeptical of the game. But I am 100% a true believer in this iteration of Banjo. Building planes, tanks, racers, carriers, choppers, speed boats, etc... whatever you can think of, is so wonderfully, amazingly fun.

The graphics and the art style in this game are beautiful. I love looking at this game. There is so much great eye candy, especially in Nutty Acres. And I like ho w much there is to discover in Showdown Town. The plinths, crates, mini-games, Jolly Dodger, tampered switches, musical notes, minjos and jinjos, etc...

I plan on getting the DLC along with the original Kazooie and Tooie... and get a lot of mileage out of this amazing Banjo series. <3 <3 <3

nico

Banned
i'd just like to say i loved this game, blast corps mixed with banjo kazooie mixed with lego mixed with awesomeness
btw rare bring back blast corps

Kenak said:
Yep, it's an awesome game. I just hope the sequel is more Showdown Town and less Log Box 720.

Even if we might not get a sequel, I would just like Rare to open up, and talk about the proces of making the game, what was cut, why it was cut and just do a big ass post-mortem on the game.

Montresor

I'm up to around 83 jiggies and 60 trophies. The game is getting considerably harder! Now when you get to a mission you can't just quickly put together a blueprint to get the job done. You have to think, and get very creative. Not that the game did not foster creativity before. I've been coming up with neat vehicles since the beginning. :D :D :D It's getting much harder for those cool vehicles to be successful though.

Did anyone find it really difficult to get those world-specific achievements (i.e. Massive Damage ===> LogBox 720, and Floater In The Pipe ===> Test-o-Track).

I can't figure out the Jiggoseum, Terranium, and Test-O-Track achievements. I know I can look them up but I wanna get them on my own. :D They're puzzling me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
All I have to say is this: Once you're over the fact this isn't Banjo-Threeie, the game is so much more awesome.

It's a pity N&B bombed. :(

Wizpig

Kenak said:
Yep, it's an awesome game. I just hope the sequel is more Showdown Town and less Log Box 720.
b05c6d2371ba6d091b4507062667c9e6.jpg

71616c06d8f4f26ac3a4158e91df805e.jpg

I understand you.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I would totally replay this if I had my 360. :(

Wizpig

Rez said:
I would totally replay this if I had my 360. :(
I also think lots of new people would be posting here (and other threads of course...) but with Search disabled how can you find it... T_T

warbegins said:

God yes. I managed to get the full 1000, but damned if it didn't make me work for it.

I wish more people played N&B online. I'd still be playing it to this day if that were the case, as there's no other game like it, and I had hours of fun just messing about in the Test-O-Track with other people, showing off what we made. It's like you're given a load of lego, and you all see what you can make with it.

Peff

I put it from time to time just to stroll around in the awesome worlds or to
try to
play online, which was a lot of fun. Such a shame it wasn't more succesful :(

Wizpig

I'm not the only one that wants a new DLC, right?
Too bad they can't do it, not without creating new actual levels first.

I'd be happy with (and pay for) just rising the limit on the amount of parts you can use in a single vehicle, letting you use more of certain types of parts (I see no reason why you can't have infinite standard body parts, in particular; it sucks when you can't build a vehicle you want because you run out of parts you need for the body), and adding the ability to have a multiplayer lobby in any of the game's locations, rather than just Test-O-Track. Imagine multiple people flying and driving around Showdown Town, Banjoland, and Nutty Acres, just goofing around, showing off their creations, and making up their own little games.

Nuts & Bolts has such a fantastic engine, that all I want is more freedom.

Wizpig

Ben2749 said:
I'd be happy with (and pay for) just rising the limit on the amount of parts you can use in a single vehicle, letting you use more of certain types of parts (I see no reason why you can't have infinite standard body parts, in particular; it sucks when you can't build a vehicle you want because you run out of parts you need for the body), and adding the ability to have a multiplayer lobby in any of the game's locations, rather than just Test-O-Track. Imagine multiple people flying and driving around Showdown Town, Banjoland, and Nutty Acres, just goofing around, showing off their creations, and making up their own little games.

Nuts & Bolts has such a fantastic engine, that all I want is more freedom.
T_T

I weep just thinking about being able to fly (in a *cough* legit way) around Showdown Town.

New avatar by the way, I hope nobody else is using it... let me know if that's the case.

I'm tempted to make a thread on the online matchup forum, but only if I know there will be enough people interested to warrant it. Say so here if you are, and I'll make one, so we can arrange some games. I'd love to be able to play a few games of N&B again.

I wish they would have patched in the ability to change the transparency on the map. It is the only game that leaves hideous retention on my plasma because of that bright white ring around the map. It means this game has rarely been played sadly. Not worth risking screwing up my TV over.

I feel so bad for Rare that this game didn't do better, I got the game (again) two days ago and have played non-stop, I absolutely love it. I'm playing Banjoland, its fucking amazing! Definitely one of my fav games, I think I like it just as much as the old Banjo games, perhaps even more.

Rare put so much care and attention into making this...I would buy 10 copies if I thought it would help them but I think it's too late for them now :(

PumpkinPie said:
I feel so bad for Rare that this game didn't do better, I got the game (again) two days ago and have played non-stop, I absolutely love it. I'm playing Banjoland, its fucking amazing! Definitely one of my fav games, I think I like it just as much as the old Banjo games, perhaps even more.

This game was fantastic, and demonstrated Rare still had some of that old magic left in then. Just too bad the Xbox audience didn't appreciate this =(

Easily my favorite single-player game of 2008.

Havok

PumpkinPie said:

Rare put so much care and attention into making this...I would buy 10 copies if I thought it would help them but I think it's too late for them now :(
Honestly, it isn't just this game that's sold poorly through no fault of its own. Both Viva Pinatas and Kameo were also really very good games that simply didn't cater to the platform's audience, and thus simply died off. Rare takes a lot of flak for some reason (I know their efforts last gen weren't anything to write home about), but I'm a big fan of all their current gen games post-PDZ, although I didn't play much of Kameo.

It would also be nice if next time MS decided not to screw over gamers that weren't American. Nice of them to sell this at a budget price in the U.S. but full price everywhere else. That must have caused some ill feeling with gamers?

As much as I like Rare, I hope that the pricing situation went some way to explaining poor sales. Gamers shouldn't have to put up with crap like that.

C4Lukins

redbarchetta said:
This game was fantastic, and demonstrated Rare still had some of that old magic left in then. Just too bad the Xbox audience didn't appreciate this =(

Easily my favorite single-player game of 2008.

I loved Nuts and Bolts and I wish it had done a lot better.

It is funny though that Rare was sort of the go to first party developer to get casual gamers on the 360, and both Viva Pinata and BK Nuts and Bolts are two of the most complicated and difficult games to wrap your head around on the system. I mean both PDZ and Kameo which would appeal more to the 360 audience and would fit the whole "hardcore" concept were both much more simplistic and approachable then their "Nintendoesque" games.

watkinzez

state_vector_collapse said:
It would also be nice if next time MS decided not to screw over gamers that weren't American. Nice of them to sell this at a budget price in the U.S. but full price everywhere else. That must have caused some ill feeling with gamers?

As much as I like Rare, I hope that the pricing situation went some way to explaining poor sales. Gamers shouldn't have to put up with crap like that.

That kinda sucks. It was budget priced in Australia. :/

I've been giving this game another shot and it's actually really good but there are also really shitty parts of it. Some of the missions the TT trophies are almost impossible to get because they force you to use a certain vehicle that is absolutely attrocious at handling and almost makes it seem like luck rather than playing the game to get the trophies. Really makes me hate the game at times.

Edit: And the speedometer thing I can't seem to do at all. It seems like none of my vehicles are fast enough.

Top Bottom