• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

crispyben

Just a teaser...

91jrf7.jpg

Want some more?

The only DLC I'll buy (fearing a $15 / 15 € price, but worth it at that quantity). Too bad they'll announce some kind of bundle later on, but I'm sure it'll be more expensive than the game itself.

Hopefully they won't wait too long to release it considering that only that and the cops and robbers mode are all that's left.

Puck

Banned
Oo. New billboards.

Better find the 20 i have left.

I have 5 gates left and they're hard to find, i have the ps3 version, i heard there is a way i can email criterion my save and they will email me the locations?

Is this true?

Ramenman

OMG does this Island look BALLS.

Dowant.

"En Spirale" indeed ! please tell me I can drive in this !

I want to do a road roage going down a spirale building :p

Edit : Is the new car we see in nearly every island pic part of the Island pack ? i can't remember.

crispyben

Ramenman said:
"En Spirale" indeed ! please tell me I can drive in this ! I want to do a road roage going down a spirale building :p

Edit : Is the new car we see in nearly every island pic part of the Island pack ? i can't remember.
Are you French to get that? Their motto for Big Surf Island was "if you can see it, you can drive it", and they reiterate it in one of the Qore interviews, so who knows? The bottom part seems to have a ramp...

As for the Dust Storm, it will come with Big Surf Island, yes :D

Ramenman

crispyben said:
Are you French to get that? Their motto for Big Surf Island was "if you can see it, you can drive it", and they reiterate it in one of the Qore interviews, so who knows? The bottom part seems to have a ramp...

As for the Dust Storm, it will come with Big Surf Island, yes :D

Respectively : "Yes" and "Awesome".

Ramenman

crispyben said:
Somebody pointed out that there are cars and bikes together in a picture... Could it be a hint of a future development?

Oh that's right :O

Well they mentionned when the bikes were released that having bikes+cars in the same place was the next step.
Still don't know how crashing would work. Maybe being easily takedowned could be the downside of being insanely fast, like with speed cars but even more.

crispyben

crispyben said:
Somebody pointed out that there are cars and bikes together in a picture... Could it be a hint of a future development?
To be fair, this was in the Pictures area, it's not a gameplay capture, so who knows if it's purely conceptual...

In the new Qore episode, there seems to be a hint at a 3D version (glasses required) of Burnout Paradise. Or that's what I'm reading in other boards, even though if you check Qore on youtube you'll see for yourselves.

crispyben

Philanthropist said:
In the new Qore episode, there seems to be a hint at a 3D version (glasses required) of Burnout Paradise. Or that's what I'm reading in other boards, even though if you check Qore on youtube you'll see for yourselves.
There is indeed, although I posted a much more in-depth video piece about it a few weeks back, let's see if I can dig it out... Here it is.

Mar

crispyben said:

This is going to be incredible. I'd pay 40 dollars for this island. I shit you not. Because I know I'm going to get more play time out of this extra content than I have out of the last 5 full priced retail games I've bought.

crispyben

Mar_ said:
This is going to be incredible. I'd pay 40 dollars for this island. I shit you not.
Same here. By the way, those last two pictures are in a sequence, you actually jump over the trees and land in the middle of the crossroads... Oh, and it seems you can use the tiny tunnel next to the big one :D

wii_HD

Neo Member
Thanks for the images crispyben.

If the Island is paid for DLC how do this affect players who dont have the Island when playing online against people that do have it. Or are rooms going to be grouped.

I see there is an Airship shown does this tour the Island and be crashed into - or is it tethered?

Also looking at Criterion own Island webpage - big air image - a vehicle (prop plane?) can be seen.

Thought they had stratched the plane idea long ago.

crispyben

wii_HD said:
Thanks for the images crispyben.
You're welcome. A possibility is that we will all have access to the geometry of the island, but those who pay will have extra events, as in the upcoming MC:LA DLC. Then we should all download it in a future update (V1.80?). Of course, they could also release it for free as a big surprise :lol

I didn't notice the blimp before, looks purely cosmetic. As for the speck in the picture on Criterion's site, I believe it to be the Dust Storm in mid-air :D News on planes might come on April 1.

I like how people complain about paying $8 for two DLC cars, yet they're willing to pay near the price of a full game for what is essentially an added borough.

Don't get me wrong, I love Burnout Paradise and think Criterion are great, but I see it happen every time DLC is announced/discussed and it's pretty ridiculous.

HYPERBOLE

AnonymousNoob said:
I like how people complain about paying $8 for two DLC cars, yet they're willing to pay near the price of a full game for what is essentially an added borough.

Don't get me wrong, I love Burnout Paradise and think Criterion are great, but I see it happen every time DLC is announced/discussed and it's pretty ridiculous.

HYPERBOLE
The ones who are willing to pay are the ones who are supportive of the current DLC, aka, the people who've played the hell out of the game.

I'm sure if you check the other thread, and find anyone railing against the pricing, that they don't cross over here jumping for joy over these new island.

AlphaTwo00 said:
The ones who are willing to pay are the ones who are supportive of the current DLC, aka, the people who've played the hell out of the game.

I'm sure if you check the other thread, and find anyone railing against the pricing, that they don't cross over here jumping for joy over these new island.
I bought most of Burnout DLC but I'll never pay 40$ for this island. 15€ will be the max for me (I'm in EU).

crispyben

Chû Totoro said:
I bought most of Burnout DLC but I'll never pay 40$ for this island. 15€ will be the max for me (I'm in EU).
I don't know about Mar_, but that was hyperbole on my part, mainly because I know (hope?) that they won't go that far. But €20 seems the highest they could go, and I'll buy it in a heartbeat at that price. They say a fool is easily parted from his money, well this is the kind of foolish thing I enjoy.

bridegur

They wouldn't ask for more than $9.99 for the island, would they? Anything above that and I'd expect it to be at least as half as big as the normal map.

TimeLike

AlphaTwo00 said:

I rail against $4 cars, but I am jumping for joy over the new island. I just hope the price is right for me.

How much is too much for you for a single car? Would you pay 1000 points? 2000 points? 5000 points for a single car to show your support? If you wouldn't pay those prices, then we have the same viewpoint on DLC pricing. It's just that our tolerance threshold is different.

jett

D-Member
Man the prices for these new cars are just LOL. 5 bucks? wat.

I fear for this island, I fear how much it's gonna segment the online community. :/ I'm not paying more than $10.

I also hope Criterion doesn't force me to download this fucking island without paying for it. They're already forcing me to waste space on shit I'm never going to buy.

TimeLike said:
I rail against $4 cars, but I am jumping for joy over the new island. I just hope the price is right for me.

How much is too much for you for a single car? Would you pay 1000 points? 2000 points? 5000 points for a single car to show your support? If you wouldn't pay those prices, then we have the same viewpoint on DLC pricing. It's just that our tolerance threshold is different.
Once it hit a certain point, the of course no. I jumped on the boost special when it was 400 for the pack, and I'm laughing my way to the bank. At 640 for 2 cars, it's cringe-worthy, and I'd be very hesitant to do so. I would probably still have done it, but very very hesitant on it.

It's all going to boil down to how much more time will I spend with the game with the new island. How many more hours of enjoyment will I get out of it, vs how much I would pay for this content.

TimeLike

I guess to me it seems like you are saying that those who complain about the price and don't buy the DLC are not supportive of the game. I don't think that's true.

I have only bought a little bit of the DLC, but I am very supportive of this game. I've had my Elite license for over a year and I've helped sell this game to a handful of friends and family who have consoles.

What more can I do? Their prices are beyond the limits I've set in my own mind. Just because you are willing to pony up the pennies doesn't make you special or any of us less so.

So is the island connected by a bridge to the main land? that is awesome I was expecting to have to load the island up like you were doing into the wreck garage or something and it would play no role with the main land.

Probably the only dlc I will buy for this game D: maybe the 88 special when I come home drunk one night.

To add, if the island ends up at like 1200 points i'll probably buy it (if reviews are good) but any more then that and i'll have to keep thinking about it until my head hurts. *edit* hold on am I reading this right, the dlc will be near $40 or what?

crispyben

jett said:
I also hope Criterion doesn't force me to download this fucking island without paying for it. They're already forcing me to waste space on shit I'm never going to buy.
At least it allows you to play with people who bought them.

TimeLike said:
I guess to me it seems like you are saying that those who complain about the price and don't buy the DLC are not supportive of the game. I don't think that's true.
Sounds fair, but I never got that feeling.

Diablohead said:
Hold on am I reading this right, the dlc will be near $40 or what?
No no no, we were just talking.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
crispyben said:
Just a teaser...

91jrf7.jpg

Want some more?

that looks pretty sweet crispyben. From what you guys have heard, is this Island going to share similar track enviroments and designs to those found in the Island portion of Trackmania United?

The game froze twice last night while playing online, had to restart the PS3. Never happened to me before, is this a new feature of the last update?

I swear it´s the new toy cars, god I hate them.

crispyben

isamu said:
that looks pretty sweet crispyben. From what you guys have heard, is this Island going to share similar track enviroments and designs to those found in the Island portion of Trackmania United?
Can't answer that one as 1) I haven't played Trackmania 2) I've posted all I heard/saw here :D It seems they're going for a tropical theme though, with palmtrees and mentions of SPF40...

played for almost 3 hours last night and ran into an annoying glitch: getting a new car out of the garage and having the "miles driven" counter remain at zero. It happened once to a car that I did a race, a road rage, and a stunt run with. I happen to look down and it says "0.0". I take it back to the repair shop, stays at zero. I take it to the garage, it says the car is still "new". I take it back out, the counter starts working. This happened to three different cars last night. aargh.

crispyben

bune duggy said:
played for almost 3 hours last night and ran into an annoying glitch: getting a new car out of the garage and having the "miles driven" counter remain at zero. It happened once to a car that I did a race, a road rage, and a stunt run with. I happen to look down and it says "0.0". I take it back to the repair shop, stays at zero. I take it to the garage, it says the car is still "new". I take it back out, the counter starts working. This happened to three different cars last night. aargh.
This is a known bug that was supposedly fixed, but it looks like it wasn't...

jibblypop

Banned
So I finally played this game. (REALLY late to this party!)

Basically I played the demo when it first came out and absolutely hated it! It's so strange because now that I'm playing the full game I got into it straight away and I'm absolutely loving it!
It actually reminds me of the old burnout games a lot more than some people give it credit for.

I don't know what went wrong with the demo but in my opinion it didn't properly convey how fun and easy to get into this game really is.
Happy customer here! They should really be more careful with the demo next time.. I bet they lost a lot of sales from it!

Top Bottom