• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Agent X

divisionbyzorro said:
There's even more:

PS3 owners can get the full game + all premium DLC for $29.99. Or they can get just the premium DLC for $19.99.

Hilariously enough, this includes the "Time Savers Pack," so you will start the game with all cars unlocked!

Source:
http://portal.burnoutweb.ea.com/page/article?article=957

Seriously, don't miss out on this kickass deal!

One of my friends bought the Time Savers pack several months ago. I was surprised to find out that the Time Savers pack not only immediately unlocks all of the normal (not DLC or promotional) cars, but also includes the gold and platinum versions of those cars. While I didn't have a problem with allowing someone to buy the entire roster of vehicles with real money, I would've preferred if they at least withheld the gold and platinum versions unless the player actually fulfilled the requirements to earn them (as I did), as those particular skins should be emblematic of a player's skill. Oh well, no use crying over spilled milk, I suppose.

divisionbyzorro said:
They're just reskinned versions of existing cars...so aside from being able to get the WTR sooner, I don't really see the point.

Aside from the reskinned promotional cars (GameStop, Wal-Mart, etc.), there's another car called "Steel Wheels" GT, which is not tied to a specific retailer. This car was originally given as a preorder bonus, although a few months later they released codes to the public to unlock it. It is a tweaked version of the GT Concept, with higher strength and a change from Stunt boost to Aggression boost.

According to this link, the only way to unlock it is through the code entry screen. It cannot be unlocked through the Time Savers pack.

I re-downloaded Burnout Paradise recently, but I only got the game itself because I used to have the disc version. I already had the Big Surf Island dlc, so there was no reason to get the all encompassing bundle they're now offering on PSN.

I think it's a mistake for them to only offer it that way, because like me, how many other people out there already have a lot of the dlc? Why download it all again in a bundle? Unless I'm mistaken and they still offer them all separately.

DidntKnowJack said:
I re-downloaded Burnout Paradise recently, but I only got the game itself because I used to have the disc version. I already had the Big Surf Island dlc, so there was no reason to get the all encompassing bundle they're now offering on PSN.

I think it's a mistake for them to only offer it that way, because like me, how many other people out there already have a lot of the dlc? Why download it all again in a bundle? Unless I'm mistaken and they still offer them all separately.

AFAIK they're still offering the pieces. This is just a bundle to try to snag a few more purchases before the game is completely forgotten. And they should - the game kicks ass and anyone who doesn't have it should jump right on this.

divisionbyzorro said:
AFAIK they're still offering the pieces. This is just a bundle to try to snag a few more purchases before the game is completely forgotten. And they should - the game kicks ass and anyone who doesn't have it should jump right on this.
When the day comes in a few years time and the servers are turned off I hate to think how the game will become 50% of what it is without online actions/leaderboards and online play :(

ismaboof

The DLC bundle has gotten me back into this game (10 hrs over the past three days). Just got all jumps, smashes, and billboards in Paradise City. Is there a save analyzer for Big Surf Island (PS3)?

I've also only done two online freeburn challenges. Gotta get on that.

crispyben

sazabirules said:
How do you start a showtime road rule? I can't figure out how to do so.
Need to press Down on the D-Pad to cycle between the various 5 backgrounds for the road/street name at the top of the screen I think. One of them is neutral, the others are for Road Rules and Showtime, both offline and online.

crispyben

ismaboof said:
The DLC bundle has gotten me back into this game (10 hrs over the past three days). Just got all jumps, smashes, and billboards in Paradise City. Is there a save analyzer for Big Surf Island (PS3)?

I've also only done two online freeburn challenges. Gotta get on that.
Nice! Good luck with the challenges, hit me up if you need a partner :D 500/500 here, but I like to dive in from time to time.

P.S. no save analyzer, but it's pretty easy to complete.

Guv_Bubbs

Banned
Question: I want to get this DLC bundle but I don't want the timesaver unlock. So when you download it does it give you the option?
Cos I want to play BSI and unlock it myself

crispyben said:
You know you want to show off in that sparkling sports car :D

Always been there, I believe you get a nice view of it in CrashTV 6 with the planes:

1_wIQSAY_U1217182354.jpg

Can i fly these things ingame on the console version (360)?

Minamu

kikanny said:
So I bought the complete edition. How do I choose to play in the cops and robbers mode? Thanks.
There's supposed to be a search option in the online menu area. I don't think you'll find that many players though. Online challenges is where it's at.

ismaboof

Does anybody want to complete all the Surf Island Freeburn Challenges (PS3) in about an hours time? I can never find people doing them online.

b.e.r.g

This is so my summer game :) You know, the game you wasted last sumer playing, and that instantly gives you that summer feeling when you return to it.

I'm usually the guy who plays the deep and advanced RPGs and strategy games, the guy that complains about how dumbed down console games are and how simple FPSes have become. But somehow this game, however primitive it may be, has turned out to be one of my all time favorites! It's just something about that over-casual style. The sit-down-and-play-for-10-minutes feeling. For days that are actually busy with other thing. Summer days, if you want :)

However;

burnout_elite276v.png

Well deserved if I may say so myself :D but now I want more :( Are there any talk about a new Burnout game at all? I need my annual slomo-crashes-to-teenage-punk-music fix! Theres been a while since the last Burnout, right?

Mar

Grats dude. I keep meaning to go back to the game for shits and giggles. Usually every time the soundtrack starts playing on my ipod.

I don't believe there has been any news from Criterion about their next game, however many rumours point to a Need For Speed title. If anyone can make NFS relevant again, I feel confident Criterion can.

b.e.r.g

Thanks man. Just noticed I have some sort of bikes addon, should be fun for a little while. Also, just cruising around and take whatever event you want is kinda relaxing when you don't have to worry about failing. Btw, no one told me there was a restart function! Haha, same day as I hit 100%, after about 60 hours of playtime, thats when I notice! Why hide it like that Criterion?! :p

I haven't played NFS in a looong time. What made Burnout Paradise such a blast was the open world imo. If Criterion will make a new NFS, I hope it's similar to paradise :D

Since this game is as good as done as far as content is concern, might as well wrap it up (and give myself a pat on the back :D ):

Top 10 Poster:
crispyben 442
AlphaTwo00 308
allegate 300
Aladuf 235
h3ro 153
Mar 148
Returners 141
fistfulofmetal 108
Wizpig 80
Gary Whitta 73

Now, let's see when Criterion is coming out to announce what's next...

crispyben

AlphaTwo00 said:
Since this game is as good as done as far as content is concern, might as well wrap it up (and give myself a pat on the back :D ):

Top 10 Poster:
crispyben 442
AlphaTwo00 308
allegate 300
Aladuf 235
h3ro 153
Mar 148
Returners 141
fistfulofmetal 108
Wizpig 80
Gary Whitta 73

Now, let's see when Criterion is coming out to announce what's next...
:D

That's not even close AlphaTwo00! And there are many more posts in additional threads for patches and DLC... Can you believe I only got a PS3 with BP in September 2008? Seeing this thread bumped on the front page made my heart jump out... To think I played so many hours online without a mic :lol

As for what Criterion are up to, they showed their NFS game at an internal EA presentation in January of this year, and teased an E3 announcement just two days ago!

EDIT: OMG, my first post was on page 69 (50 ppp), which means I almost made 10% of the posts in this thread eversince :p

Patrick Bateman said:
So, I bought the Ultimate Box and I still have to buy Big Surf Island and the new cars? WTF?
I expected the ultimate box to have some of the paid DLC in it too but it doesn't, basicly the Ultimate box was an up to date patched version which included bikes and weather/night racing and some other fixes the game had, but once the next patch came out to play online it turned UB into a regular copy? why? you ask. Well it's because to play online you need to download the mammoth update nearing 1gb, this contains EVERYTHING like bikes, weather, BSI even though you have to pay to access it.

In other words UB was a waste of money if you have internet access, only worth buying for someone who keeps their 360 offline. Wish I knew that before I bought my copy for £27 instead of a used original for £9

crispyben

Diablohead said:
I expected the ultimate box to have some of the paid DLC in it too but it doesn't, basicly the Ultimate box was an up to date patched version which included bikes and weather/night racing and some other fixes the game had, but once the next patch came out to play online it turned UB into a regular copy? why? you ask. Well it's because to play online you need to download the mammoth update nearing 1gb, this contains EVERYTHING like bikes, weather, BSI even though you have to pay to access it.

In other words UB was a waste of money if you have internet access, only worth buying for someone who keeps their 360 offline. Wish I knew that before I bought my copy for £27 instead of a used original for £9
To be fair, BP:UB includes all patches and DLC up to (and including) the Party Pack. Which means that bikes, weather, day/night cycle are included in that version of the game. What isn't, and requires a hefty download, is what came afterwards: Legendary Cars, Toy Cars, Boost Specials, Cops and Robbers, Big Surf Island.

I agree that the "Ultimate Box" is a rather misleading title considering all the DLC (or GCC as they called it) they released next. Here's the list of all the packs.

Oh yeah it had the party mode, that was cool but still everything else was added via the big patch so UB wasn't really worth it if you had online access.

crispyben

Diablohead said:
Oh yeah it had the party mode, that was cool but still everything else was added via the big patch so UB wasn't really worth it if you had online access.
To quote myself above, "I agree that the "Ultimate Box" is a rather misleading title considering all the DLC (or GCC as they called it) they released next". However, this release compiled all the FREE updates they had made so far, and added the first paid DLC to it, saving you some 5 or 10 dollars if you were to jump in at that moment by buying a new vanilla copy + Party Pack. Of course, it makes less sense now...

crispyben

I've been re-reading this thread, and this post was made almost 6 months before the official announcement:
Doc Evils said:
It's amazing the amount of improvements they are putting in. EA should give them the Need for Speed franchise.

I logged on to the Criterion Games Network to check upon the activity in Paradise City, here are the latest numbers, showing the game's still not dead!

13,885 drivers were stopped in their tracks after driving into traffic yesterday.
4,694 drivers got T-Boned in Paradise City yesterday.
Gas Station Visits (last 24hrs): 20,093
115 drivers upgraded to License A yesterday, how many will make it to their Burnout License?
A total of 1,592 drivers raced online in the 24 hours.
12,574 Personal Best Road Rules were set in Paradise City yesterday.
2,107 drivers used the Paint Shops to give their car a fresh look yesterday.
3,139 Mugshots were traded in the last 24 hours.
15 drivers got the coveted Burnout Elite License yesterday.
5,413 drivers took down another player yesterday; igniting an Online Rivalry.
Online Freeburn players in the last 24 hrs: 19,019
3,007 Online games were hosted yesterday.
There were 477,709 crashes in Paradise City yesterday.
Achievements unlocked yesterday: 2,507
413 drivers checked out their standing in the Leaderboards yesterday.
12,574 Personal Best Road Rules were set in Paradise City yesterday.

EYEL1NER

Is there even a such thing as an Ultimate Box for 360? I've never seen one and didn't pull anything up on Amazon just now. I thought it was only for PS3 and PC. It would be nice to have because I want all the features of the patch but don't have the available 1.9 gigs to download it.

crispyben

EYEL1NER said:
Is there even a such thing as an Ultimate Box for 360? I've never seen one and didn't pull anything up on Amazon just now. I thought it was only for PS3 and PC. It would be nice to have because I want all the features of the patch but don't have the available 1.9 gigs to download it.
It wasn't released in the US, and I don't know if the PAL version is region-free, as I don't own a 360. I guess it's part of GOD, but that's no good for you... Seems like you're out of luck here.

EYEL1NER said:
My understanding is the Platinum Box for the game includes up to 1.4.

jett

D-Member
So I started playing this again, trying to finish it off to finally get my elite license. While trying to beat some online road rules on my bikes I've realized that Criterion has fucked me over. I can't fucking beat any of the old records set by my friends which were set pre-nerf patch. :|

Agent X

jett said:
So I started playing this again, trying to finish it off to finally get my elite license. While trying to beat some online road rules on my bikes I've realized that Criterion has fucked me over. I can't fucking beat any of the old records set by my friends which were set pre-nerf patch. :|

Could you elaborate on this? I don't believe you need to beat any online Road Rules in order to gain any of the licenses, just the offline ones.

ScHlAuChi

If they do a sequel to this i really hope they support D-Pad control and Accelerate/Break with Buttons - what was so hard in including customizeable controls?

jett

D-Member
Agent X said:
Could you elaborate on this? I don't believe you need to beat any online Road Rules in order to gain any of the licenses, just the offline ones.

Oh no it has nothing to do with licenses that, I was just doing it for fun. Still ticks me off. :p

I do have a botched trophy though, the "set 10 time road rules" one. I have a bunch of them and no trophy. :|

And I would also like customizable controls. With the Dualshock 3's analog buttons being pure trash and Burnout not really needing them anyway, I don't understand why we didn't get the choice to use R1/L1.

Top Bottom