• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

vocab

I just got the game a week ago, and I like it a lot. Only thing I don't like is the wonky physics that cause frame dips on a rare occasion. Other than that, it's a solid game.

I can't believe the only thing preventing me from a platinum is the damn mugshot trophy. I have two cameras, and 1 web cam, and none of them work. That is god damn ridiculous, and I am not gonna buy a eyetoy or a PSEye. Also, why is the party pack $10? That should be free. I praise criterion for updating the game and supporting it, but charging $10 for local single player is just as bad as Capcom's garbage RE5 $5 online mode.

Also, is the 10 timed challenges trophy bugged or what? I got over 10, and didn't get it. I read that the bikes screw this up. If I do 10 in a row will I get it or, or am i screwed and forced to start a new game, and back up my old one and do it?

Not sure if I'll buy BSI, it's kind of neat, but I got plenty of online challenges and the rest of the Bike license to keep me occupied the next time I play it.

crispyben

vocab said:
I just got the game a week ago, and I like it a lot. Only thing I don't like is the wonky physics that cause frame dips on a rare occasion. Other than that, it's a solid game.
The only slowdown I get on PS3 outside of Big Surf Island is when I speed back into the city coming from the West on the highway :D

vocab said:
I can't believe the only thing preventing me from a platinum is the damn mugshot trophy. I have two cameras, and 1 web cam, and none of them work. That is god damn ridiculous, and I am not gonna buy a eyetoy or a PSEye.
People have bought PSeyes used for this.

vocab said:
Also, why is the party pack $10? That should be free. I praise criterion for updating the game and supporting it, but charging $10 for local single player is just as bad as Capcom's garbage RE5 $5 online mode.
The Party pack is hot-seat multiplayer, and yeah, it's not really worth it unless you live with BP addicts.

vocab said:
Also, is the 10 timed challenges trophy bugged or what? I got over 10, and didn't get it. I read that the bikes screw this up. If I do 10 in a row will I get it or, or am i screwed and forced to start a new game, and back up my old one and do it?
Yep, back up and start again.

vocab said:
Not sure if I'll buy BSI, it's kind of neat, but I got plenty of online challenges and the rest of the Bike license to keep me occupied the next time I play it.
Buy it, you won't regret it. Enjoy!

vocab

crispyben said:
The only slowdown I get on PS3 outside of Big Surf Island is when I speed back into the city coming from the West on the highway :D

Don't get me wrong, the game runs smooths, but when you collide with other people or bang up next to them, the physics just goes nuts, and sometimes I get a drop, and I can't avoid it, and I crashed on time because of it. It was like a stutter, and couldn't even move. Like when you take down someone in a road rage, and your car gets placed somewhere else to put you back on the road, it's very noticeable as well. Also, There are some starting spots for races that have very low frame rate, but as soon as you start it's back to normal. The game is very optimized for an open world game with traffic, but there are some spots that could use a touch up.

Anyway, thanks for the answers.

rc213

Yup, I had to backup my save and start a new game. I just went straight to do the 10 Timed Online challenges. After you get it just delete the new save and copy over your backup save.

The Island is tons of fun but I felt it was worth it for all the unlockable cars. Specially the Toy cars. :D

Chrono

Banned
I dabbled a bit in this game and now I'm thinking I'm just going to shelf it and move on to another one. Someone here tell me how long did it take the memorize the entire damn city, and how much of that was out of driving just for that purpose? I don't get how this game can be for anybody except hardcore gamers, eh.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Chrono said:
I dabbled a bit in this game and now I'm thinking I'm just going to shelf it and move on to another one. Someone here tell me how long did it take the memorize the entire damn city, and how much of that was out of driving just for that purpose? I don't get how this game can be for anybody except hardcore gamers, eh.

If you don't like Sandbox games, you will not like GTA/Burnout/Crackdown/...

Learning the city comes with time while doing missions. You'll get "oh, I remember this!" photographic memories of the streets. Burnout even lets you use a GPS (which is alright, but it doesn't rotate so you can keep a baring on the streets) which makes it easier.

Go do some freeburn challenges online if you want to learn the city, though. They mark places on the map (that aren't used in races, races/stuff online use the same start/end points, just different trigger locations) that'll let you learn the city while doing the stuff they want you to do.

vocab

Chrono said:

I barely know the city. If someone told me to meet on such and such St, I would be like "let me look at my map". I know where the main corners attractions are, and I know where some of the big stunt places are. It's not a big deal to learn the city in an out. The only things you really need to know is where certain things are for freeburn challenges. For example, Jumps, places you can barrel roll, billboards, power parking spots. It's really easy.

Minamu

Ask me where a certain road is & I'm like "huh?!". And I've played for 100+ hours. It's not very important. It's the destination that matters, it's the journey there ;)

bdouble

Chrono said:
The map? Idk. I've only unlocked a dozen or so cars but you don't need to memorize it. Its just familiarizing yourself with it. There are patterns and all the shortcuts are pretty easy to define.

You start to see patterns in the level design more than anything.

graywolf323

Lyphen said:
Press right on the D-Pad to enter to Easy Ride option for restart.

when I do that all I see is the stupid Paradise City Online options :-/ never seen the option to restart in there even immediately after I've lost an event

crispyben

graywolf323 said:
when I do that all I see is the stupid Paradise City Online options :-/ never seen the option to restart in there even immediately after I've lost an event
Scroll down a bit, it should be there once you've failed.

Barso

Banned
Yeah, me too!!!!
Really annoyed criterion have not released the island on PC but I think they have abandoned the game altogether.
Although playing it at 1920x1200 maxed makes it more worthwhile than playing it on my 360 so it doesn't bother me much.
I just wish criterion would say whether the island was coming or not.

54-46!

How are the different car skins unlocked? I think I've got seven for the GT Concept or something.. do you get 'em by completing challenges with each car?

Agent X

54-46! said:
How are the different car skins unlocked? I think I've got seven for the GT Concept or something.. do you get 'em by completing challenges with each car?

There are different "paint jobs" which are all available immediately when you unlock the car. You can repaint the cars by driving through the paint shops, or select them yourself when you choose your car in the junk yard. A few interesting skins (such as for the Inferno Van and Tempesta) were added with one of the updates last year.

There are also alternate versions of the cars, often with different features (for example, a different boost system). In the junk yard, these are treated as separate cars, rather than paint jobs or skins. Using the example of the GT Concept that you named, you could also obtain:

54-46!

Agent X said:
There are different "paint jobs" which are all available immediately when you unlock the car. You can repaint the cars by driving through the paint shops, or select them yourself when you choose your car in the junk yard. A few interesting skins (such as for the Inferno Van and Tempesta) were added with one of the updates last year.

There are also alternate versions of the cars, often with different features (for example, a different boost system). In the junk yard, these are treated as separate cars, rather than paint jobs or skins. Using the example of the GT Concept that you named, you could also obtain:

Yeah.. I'm talking about the paint jobs, seems weird that the only car I've got more than three (four with the gold skins) for is the GT Concept? (havn't checked em all though) is this the only car with that many?.. the license plate on paint job 5-7 says Challenge so I assumed it had something to do with that.

olimpia84

Cool, I didn't know you could unlock one of the toy cars with the Island DLC. I think I'll do that since I refuse to buy the Toys Car DLC (too damn expensive imo)

Returners

olimpia84 said:
Cool, I didn't know you could unlock one of the toy cars with the Island DLC. I think I'll do that since I refuse to buy the Toys Car DLC (too damn expensive imo)

its the best one too!

Agent X

olimpia84 said:

You can unlock four Toy Legendary Cars with Big Surf Island, and you can even use them to earn a couple of the Toy Car trophies! :D

Yottamol said:
Still bummed that the Island has not been released for PC...
PC version is the console versions' neglected sibling, I suppose. Still happy that I bought it, though, as I wasn't planning to buy any DLC anyway. What I do wish the PC version had, however, was a chatbox, as I don't have a mic. Should probably just shell out the cash for one, I guess.

Anyway, I think the best part of Burnout Paradise for me are the Freeburn Challenges. It's a great way to find things that I wouldn't have otherwise (e.g.: the quarry. Feel stupid for not noticing that on my own). Also, they really show off what makes BP so fun: the stunts, the crashes, and getting from one point to another as fast as possible. My favorite challenge involves barrel rolls at the airfield- getting a Carson Inferno van to successfully barrel roll through part of a plane fuselage was a thing of beauty

Been playing this game quite a bit but I have a few burning questions.

-Is there still no way to restart events without driving all the way back to the start point?
-Is there any way to change cars on the fly without visiting a Junk Yard (once I've repaired them I mean)?

rc213

permutated said:
Been playing this game quite a bit but I have a few burning questions.

-Is there still no way to restart events without driving all the way back to the start point?
-Is there any way to change cars on the fly without visiting a Junk Yard (once I've repaired them I mean)?
Right on the D-pad and look for the Restart event option. No you can't switch cars without visiting the junkyard.

rc213 said:
Right on the D-pad and look for the Restart event option. No you can't switch cars without visiting the junkyard.

Awesome and...well ok. Lol. Game is so fucking good it's a minor quibble.

Thanks for the help :)

rc213

permutated said:
Awesome and...well ok. Lol. Game is so fucking good it's a minor quibble.

Thanks for the help :)
Yeah, I played like 300hrs between SP and MP. Still love going online and helping out with the events.

Jet Grind Radio! said:
If I buy the PSN version of BP, can I use all my stuff, like saves/DLC, from my disc? If so, I'm tempted to just get that and trade in my disc.
Nope. You'll get to start fresh AND lose the sponsored cars. Tread lightly.

I just bought this game for the 360 and I'm going for 101%. Stupid Live camera. Anyway, is the community still pretty alive over there?

DMczaf

I bought it during that $14.99 sale and have now earned my Criterion Elite license. I was working on the rest of the trophies to get Platinum until I realized I need a damn PSEye to get it!?

WTF Criterion!

Agent X

DMczaf said:
I bought it during that $14.99 sale and have now earned my Criterion Elite license. I was working on the rest of the trophies to get Platinum until I realized I need a damn PSEye to get it!?

WTF Criterion!

The camera doesn't necessarily have to be a PlayStation Eye. If you've got a PS2 EyeToy lying around, then you could use that. If you don't have an EyeToy, borrow one from a friend, or snag a used one for a good price (I've seen used ones for about $3 recently).

I've heard some other Webcams might work with PS3 as well.

Chris R

DMczaf said:

WTF Criterion!
You are in the same boat a lot of us are. It is the only trophy I need to get my plat, having earned every single other one from the main game, bike update, and Big Surf Island :lol

Doesn't help that no store in my area seems to sell the damn camera :(

rc213

DMczaf said:

WTF Criterion!

Those are the only 2 trophies keeping me from getting Platinum in this game as well. =c

Agent X said:
The camera doesn't necessarily have to be a PlayStation Eye. If you've got a PS2 EyeToy lying around, then you could use that. If you don't have an EyeToy, borrow one from a friend, or snag a used one for a good price (I've seen used ones for about $3 recently).

I've heard some other Webcams might work with PS3 as well.

Yea, I've been using the 360 cam, works fine.

olimpia84

I got the PS3 eye for 20 bucks new at KMart a few months ago and then bought this game so platinum wasn't an issue for me.
GT5 is supposed to have some cool head-tracking features that will use the PS Eye so I thought it was a good buy for future use.

Guv_Bubbs

Banned
Ok has anybody here been to Criterion Games?

I'm in that UK atm and on the podcast ages ago they were talking about people coming bye and having a look around.

Well i'm going to try :D

I've emailed them and FBed them and Tweeted them. I hope this goes well :lol

crispyben

Philanthropist said:
Remember the PSN version is available for $14.99 in the US store for a limited time.
Argh, how did I miss this? I put hundreds of hours in this game, and I feel like having it on my HDD without spending 35€ again... Oh well, I can always move my butt and put the BD in :D Seeing rc213's post made me want to jump online, but the wife's hogging the TV!

I need to finish some more challenges on the PSN version before I make the switch to the 360 version that I just bought. I'm either a glutton or really like the game, I'm not sure yet.

Bebpo

Banned
Since this is bumped anyways. Anyone know if Criterion is finally done with BP at this point. As in no more updates and instead a new game in a year or two?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Bebpo said:
Since this is bumped anyways. Anyone know if Criterion is finally done with BP at this point. As in no more updates and instead a new game in a year or two?
I really hope they break down the sales of DLC in a Gamasutra piece or something. I'm really curious on how the whole new model they had going on worked for them or not.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bebpo said:

Looks like they are done. Surf Island was the last DLC if I'm not mistaken.
Can't wait for their next game, whatever it is. Paradise was indeed awesome and in many ways refreshing online experience.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
What will this game run like with a 4850 and Q8200? I got it from that EA store sale a few months ago but haven't got around to playing it yet (along with ME2 and Dead Space)

remz

NinjaFridge said:
What will this game run like with a 4850 and Q8200? I got it from that EA store sale a few months ago but haven't got around to playing it yet (along with ME2 and Dead Space)
Pretty well, yup

DMczaf

Bebpo said:

I figure its done. I'm guessing they have the main team working on Need for Speed right now, with some side projects going on.

I wish they would put the DLC on sale though, or bundle everything together for a low price.

crispyben

DMczaf said:
I figure its done. I'm guessing they have the main team working on Need for Speed right now, with some side projects going on.

I wish they would put the DLC on sale though, or bundle everything together for a low price.
There's a Big Surf Island bundle for 34.99€ on the Euro PSN, which I figure is the "Ultimate Box" + BSI...

Top Bottom