• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Some ideas they had for BOP DLC

We did have ambitious plans for a series of Islands. One was going to be purely off-road based. Hence we created the 'Dust Storm' dune buggy in anticipation for that. Our original dreams for Paradise were to create a series of Islands, all connected to Paradise City and each would focus on a different style of racing game. One Island was going to be completely circuit based - and be all marked up like a modern Formula One circuit!

1. Planes. A lot of Burnout fans already know about this - as we showed flying around in a live podcast. It was really cool to be able to see Paradise City from the air. It did not happen because of the way the game world was built. The city was never meant to be seen from such viewpoints. Think of it like a film set, a very big film set - meant to be seen from certain camera angles and not others.

3. The Moon! Again, completely true. Someone on the team said that 'players want the moon on a stick when it comes to DLC' We thought that was funny and thought we'd do it. The actual surface of the real Moon was modelled and it was drive-able. Lunar Challenges would have been totally unexpected - as would have been zero gravity Takedowns and Challenges.

The idea was that we would have built a rocket pad on Big Surf. If you reached a certain Rank, or completed a number of specific challenges, you could drive there, press a button and the rocket would launch. Destination - Moon! (Now that would have beaten downloadable car liveries any day!)

4. Motorcycles Versus Cars - This one was always a moot point. Whilst we would love to do it (some of us are die-hard 'Road Rash' 3DO fans) - we thought it best to keep them separate. Mixing Burnout with Road Rash - or Burnout VERSUS Road Rash as we saw it would have led to pandemonium. A bit like dogs and cats living together. Although we remain 'ready to be believed' - it's clear that Cars could easily Takedown Bikes but Bikes can't really Takedown a Car - even with a length of chain...

5. Time Travel - Not many know about this, but it was discussed. On a certain day, a time portal would have opened on the Island. When you jumped through, you would have found yourself on Big Surf, at another point in history. Maybe the Wild West...you could have done some Challenges and then jumped back. (At this point, even some hardened members of The Burnout Team thought this was 'going a bit too far.')

FerranMG

Wow, that's quite awesome.

I wonder why did all these DLC packages get dropped out.
I mean, honestly, Burnout Paradise had some lengthy developer support, but all this DLC would have extended the game beyond incredible. What happend?

Blablurn

FerranMG said:

i guess because they started working on the next need for speed.

too bad, they had some pretty awesome ideas.

54-46!

Hopefully this new NFS of theirs will be somewhat simliar to Burnout Paradise, would love to see a spiritual sequel of sorts.

While that sounds cool, I hate that they had to bring up planes again. They said from the start that it wasn't ever going to happen but people kept asking for/about it.

Burnout on the moon sounds like a Giant Bomb meme. :lol

FerranMG said:

I mean, honestly, Burnout Paradise had some lengthy developer support, but all this DLC would have extended the game beyond incredible. What happend?
They hit on a weird point, which is true: Traditional online racing modes was dead on the game. No idea why that's the case.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
bought the game through PSN.

3 gigs, outch.

Download finishes, start the game.

Update detected. Really? this happens to be a fucking downloadable game. Why isn't the updated version already on psn ready for download?

Why do I need to wait another 30 minutes for the updates? WHATS WRONG WITH YOU FAAAACE ?

Chris R

Ok so I was going to buy a PS3 Eye a long time ago, but bestbuy didn't have any in stock and it kinda fell away from my mind. Went to a new gaming store today and they had XBLA Vision cams and PS2 Eyetoys for 15$ used, and bestbuy has the PS3 Eye for 40$ new. I'm thinking of getting one, but one thing was holding me back. I might eventually get the PS3 Wand/Gem whatever down the road, and would be kinda upset if the camera I buy now doesn't work with it. Will the PS2 Eyetoy work with the wand? If so I can save myself 25$ and just buy that used, get my burnout plat, and then store the camera until the wand launches. If it won't work with the wand I might just wait until it does come out seeing as it will probably be much cheaper bundled together with everything.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
spyshagg said:
Why do I need to wait another 30 minutes for the updates? WHATS WRONG WITH YOU FAAAACE ?

:lol is that a reference to that youtube Phantom Menace video review? :lol

Amazing stuff.

rhfb said:
Ok so I was going to buy a PS3 Eye a long time ago, but bestbuy didn't have any in stock and it kinda fell away from my mind. Went to a new gaming store today and they had XBLA Vision cams and PS2 Eyetoys for 15$ used, and bestbuy has the PS3 Eye for 40$ new. I'm thinking of getting one, but one thing was holding me back. I might eventually get the PS3 Wand/Gem whatever down the road, and would be kinda upset if the camera I buy now doesn't work with it. Will the PS2 Eyetoy work with the wand? If so I can save myself 25$ and just buy that used, get my burnout plat, and then store the camera until the wand launches. If it won't work with the wand I might just wait until it does come out seeing as it will probably be much cheaper bundled together with everything.

No, it wont.

crispyben

54-46! said:
Aww shhi.. I have to do the bike challenges in order to get the P12 Diamond? but bikes are boooooring :|
You know you want to show off in that sparkling sports car :D

54-46! said:
Wait.. there's a Hollywood style sign that says Paradise City up in the hills? I can't believe I havn't noticed this after 250 plus hours or so of playing this game :lol
Always been there, I believe you get a nice view of it in CrashTV 6 with the planes:

1_wIQSAY_U1217182354.jpg

glaurung

Also got my platinum last week, the missing trophy was the 8 Player Wildcat Stadium Meet.

Spent three nights trying to find a game that had eight players in the stadium.

Even with sessions were people were around the stadium, 95% of the time there were some f'cktards who kept pissing other people off, taking them down and not being helpful.

Have decided to get the timed challenges trophies with people I know, not random idiots.

crispyben

rc213 said:
Yay! Finally got my platinum, Was able to get a Silver Eyetoy on the cheap. :D
Congrats, welcome to the club, now you need 500/500 challenges :D

Philanthropist said:
You only needed a regular webcam, but congrats :D
I tried several that didn't work before I broke down and bought a PSeye, there must be some kind of minimum requirements.

HoTHiTTeR said:
I wish the island would go on sale :(
It kinda did, with the bundles on the PSN... However, it seems it's never coming out for PC. Anyway, I think it's worth the asking price if you feel you've exhausted Paradise City!

glaurung said:
Also got my platinum last week, the missing trophy was the 8 Player Wildcat Stadium Meet.

Spent three nights trying to find a game that had eight players in the stadium.

Even with sessions were people were around the stadium, 95% of the time there were some f'cktards who kept pissing other people off, taking them down and not being helpful.

Have decided to get the timed challenges trophies with people I know, not random idiots.
I feel your pain. After I finally got it, I always made sure to chose the "Batter Up!" challenge regularly when I was hosting some cooperative 8-player games. If you need help with the Timed Challenges, add me (PSN is Grandben), I like to go back to this game once in a while.

Chris R

rc213 said:
Yay! Finally got my platinum, Was able to get a Silver Eyetoy on the cheap. :D
You lucky bastard! I'm just going to end up waiting until the PSWand comes out and hope that there will be plenty of cameras that support it for cheap to be had :lol

I still stop in at Gamestop every time I go to the local mall only to see if they have a PS2 eyetoy :lol

crispyben said:
I tried several that didn't work before I broke down and bought a PSeye, there must be some kind of minimum requirements.

Yeah, older webcams may not work but many cheap recent ones probably will. Only one of the two I have worked.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Nabs said:
Been having a blast on the PC. Glad I picked this up during the steam sale :D
Same here. Never played the originals so don't know what I am missing, I guess. Getting the game after the restart patch probably helped a lot, not being able to restart would have made the game super frustrating.

rc213

Philanthropist said:
You only needed a regular webcam, but congrats :D

Thanks

crispyben said:
Congrats, welcome to the club, now you need 500/500 challenges :D

It kinda did, with the bundles on the PSN... However, it seems it's never coming out for PC. Anyway, I think it's worth the asking price if you feel you've exhausted Paradise City!

I feel your pain. After I finally got it, I always made sure to chose the "Batter Up!" challenge regularly when I was hosting some cooperative 8-player games. If you need help with the Timed Challenges, add me (PSN is Grandben), I like to go back to this game once in a while.

I have the 500/500 done. :D Hate the car though, Guess I'm so used to the Toy cars just mashing through traffic.

I also tried like 4 webcams borrowed from friends and none worked. =c

rhfb said:
You lucky bastard! I'm just going to end up waiting until the PSWand comes out and hope that there will be plenty of cameras that support it for cheap to be had :lol

I still stop in at Gamestop every time I go to the local mall only to see if they have a PS2 eyetoy :lol

I checked the local Gamestops as well but never had any luck.

Agent X

According to Criterion's Twitter feed, there's no more Burnout Paradise downloadable content coming.

It's sad to see it come to an end, but when all's said and done, it's clear they provided a heck of a lot of substantial added content, some of which was free. Even after the game had been out nearly a year and a half, they were still cranking out add-on packs. I'm grateful for the amount of extended support they gave the game.

Of course, I'll continue to play and enjoy it!

rc213

Agent X said:
According to Criterion's Twitter feed, there's no more Burnout Paradise downloadable content coming.

It's sad to see it come to an end, but when all's said and done, it's clear they provided a heck of a lot of substantial added content, some of which was free. Even after the game had been out nearly a year and a half, they were still cranking out add-on packs. I'm grateful for the amount of extended support they gave the game.

Of course, I'll continue to play and enjoy it!

Sad to hear, Maybe they will drop the prices of some of the DLC. I want to play Cops and Robber but not at the current price.

So is there a bug when you do motorcycle stuff? I go up to an event and start it. The Atomica fellow says something to the effect of "you've already done this event, but you can do it again for practice" but there's no check on the event that signifies it's complete. When I do finish it, there's a check. Weird. I'm almost done with the motorcycle events, and then I need to get my Burnout License (again, thanks trophy update) and then I need some participants in some Cops & Robbers events and I think one other DLC event and I'll have 100% completion. Then I can work on my 101%. :lol

rc213

allegate said:
So is there a bug when you do motorcycle stuff? I go up to an event and start it. The Atomica fellow says something to the effect of "you've already done this event, but you can do it again for practice" but there's no check on the event that signifies it's complete. When I do finish it, there's a check. Weird. I'm almost done with the motorcycle events, and then I need to get my Burnout License (again, thanks trophy update) and then I need some participants in some Cops & Robbers events and I think one other DLC event and I'll have 100% completion. Then I can work on my 101%. :lol

Could it be some of the races that have daytime and nightime runs?

BSI was the only dlc I brought but it's exactly what dlc should be, a brand new area, a good size with plenty to see/do and beating all the BSI jumps and stunts gives you a freebie toy car (3 or 4 of them in total) which is the icing on completing the DLC.

Worth 1000 allards.

It's almost 2 years now. It's expected. Honestly, I still regard this as my game of the generation. It sets the bar on what next gen games can and are suppose to do.

The only disappointment is that the PC still hasn't (and probably won't) get BSI.

Agent X

Yeah, it's odd that Big Surf Island never made it over to the PC. I wonder why that is?

Anyway, Criterion updated their Twitter feed again just a few hours ago:

New DLC Bundle Pricing coming soon. More details in Feb!

I wonder what the bundle(s) will consist of? I had been considering getting some more DLC (only got Big Surf Island and Cops & Robbers so far), but at this point I might as well wait it out a few more weeks and see what possible deals are on the way.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
spyshagg said:
Update detected. Really? this happens to be a fucking downloadable game. Why isn't the updated version already on psn ready for download?

Maybe because it's a ripped from the disc upload. AKA: 1.0 version for download.

XBLA/PSN games are similar, dude. Do you complain about those being on sale when "title updates"/patches are available for them after that point?

Agent X said:
Yeah, it's odd that Big Surf Island never made it over to the PC. I wonder why that is?

Didn't sell well, I think? Or the PC version has some problem with it. Criterion are console-based developers, afterall.

Agent X

TheSeks said:
Maybe because it's a ripped from the disc upload. AKA: 1.0 version for download.

IIRC, the downloadable Burnout Paradise on PSN was released when version 1.5 was current (I believe it's 1.9 now). I don't know if the downloadable game was "born" as 1.5 and therefore only needs a few patches, or if it's 1.0 and requires all of the patches to be applied.

I think it's odd that they usually don't include patches in downloadable games on PSN. You have to download the game, and then download a patch, which in some cases is equal in size to the game you just downloaded! You're effectively downloading the game again (an updated version of it) as a "patch".

TheSeks said:
Didn't sell well, I think? Or the PC version has some problem with it. Criterion are console-based developers, afterall.

Maybe, but couldn't they reuse the assets from the console versions? I would have hoped their development was done in such a way that any patches, enhancements, or DLC could easily be shared across the board to all supported platforms. After all, some of the other DLC made it over to PC, but Big Surf Island is the biggest paid add-on, and almost certainly the most popular of them. For that reason, I don't think sales (of either the game or previous DLC) was the sole deciding factor. My guess is that there's probably some technical issue that we don't know about--maybe it wasn't that easy to port the content over, or PC version needs higher resolution models to remain consistent with the rest of the game. Perhaps it's a combination of lower than expected PC sales and relative difficulty in porting the content. It would be interesting to find out the real reason.

Minamu

netguy503 said:
Where is the Burnout Paradise 3D content which was shown off in qore like half a year ago?
I'm fairly certain that the FAQ on their website said that it will never come out. Pretty much all they said. Pretty pointless to show us that stuff then, wouldn't you say?! :(

For those interested in the DLC on the US psn store the Complete DLC is $19.99 and it includes Big Surf Island, Cops and Robbers, TOy and Legendary Cars, Boost Specials + More

Anyone know why they removed the code entry to unlock the different retailer cars? I just found out to get them again I'd have to delete my game data and then decline the update just so I could enter the codes again.

actually, they removed them entirely from the PSN store version (even sans updates) so don't do anything rash. It takes awhile to download the whole thing over again just to find out it doesn't work.

rainking187 said:
Anyone know why they removed the code entry to unlock the different retailer cars? I just found out to get them again I'd have to delete my game data and then decline the update just so I could enter the codes again.

They're just reskinned versions of existing cars...so aside from being able to get the WTR sooner, I don't really see the point.

Top Bottom