• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Gee

PS3 challenge players plz add me:

nick: iamgee

I'm getting sick and tired of open games where there always seem to be a few players who f*ck up the challenges. (T-bone takedowns on players who are waiting for the rest)

I don't mind helping players getting challenges I already own..

XTERC

I can't believe I'm still playing a racing game I purchased back in January, I will gladly purchase all paid DLC Criterion throw at us. I'd love to know how this works out for Criterion as a Business model, especially with all the doom and gloom surrounding closure of studios recently.

Err. Guys, did the Party Pack go live? My 360 is dead, so I can't check. But while I was on XBox's site. I noticed that:

a) The game logo is a different one now
b) It's now out of 1050, with two achievements tied to the Party Pack.

Someone find out now!

bune duggy said:
As it's referred to on the Criterion website: Our first pack of 2009 is called Burnout™ Paradise Party.

So no, I don't think so.
That I know, but achievement changes and content changes on Live don't go through until the content exists, right?

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm sure this is old hat to all the regulars in here, but I finally got my Burnout license tonight. Great times!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Ok that's pretty cool but can't they make the effects more like BTTF - With lightning and flashes and what not.

Ashour

XTERC said:
I can't believe I'm still playing a racing game I purchased back in January, I will gladly purchase all paid DLC Criterion throw at us. I'd love to know how this works out for Criterion as a Business model, especially with all the doom and gloom surrounding closure of studios recently.

I think in-game advertisement helped them there and it was done in a very fashionable way. I can't wait for the new Island looks great.

web01

I hate it online when you are scrolling through the challenge list deciding what to do and then some smartass rams your car putting you into the crash sequence and closing the menu. I always kick them if the do it more than once :lol

I mean come on its obvious I am parked for a reason!

web01 said:
I hate it online when you are scrolling through the challenge list deciding what to do and then some smartass rams your car putting you into the crash sequence and closing the menu. I always kick them if the do it more than once :lol

I mean come on its obvious I am parked for a reason!
Well, if you are parked in any main sections of the road, that's your problem. Once.

When you respawn (often close by), and they hit you again, that's an automatic kick.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hey I just scored this game for my brand new 360...and I can't figure out how to:

1. Pick the next race/event/thing. Do I really have to drive around and find them? LAME
2. Restart a race. Do I really have to drive back to the beginning? LAME

Other than that, fun but slightly flawed game. If NFS is ever brought back, I hope it has similar physics as this with just a smidgeon of car mods.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
PantherLotus said:
Hey I just scored this game for my brand new 360...and I can't figure out how to:

1. Pick the next race/event/thing. Do I really have to drive around and find them? LAME
2. Restart a race. Do I really have to drive back to the beginning? LAME

Other than that, fun but slightly flawed game. If NFS is ever brought back, I hope it has similar physics as this with just a smidgeon of car mods.
1. There is an event at EVERY stop light in the city. Not hard to find one at all.
2. Yes, you have to drive back to the light where it began.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
NameGenerated said:
1. There is an event at EVERY stop light in the city. Not hard to find one at all.
2. Yes, you have to drive back to the light where it began.

Right...but why not have a list that I can check off? If they're gonna pack in so much why leave it up to chance that I'll find everything?

What about the ability to see what the event is before trying it? I have to go to a special map? Unnecessarily complicated if you ask me.

Give me a list, let me race, and let me restart it my damn race if I fuck it up. This is especially frustrating on the longer races where a wrong turn strands you in the middle of the country (with no stop lights).

Small complaints, but irritating enough that it will prevent me from playing it to its fullest.

ElyrionX

PantherLotus said:
Give me a list, let me race, and let me restart it my damn race if I fuck it up. This is especially frustrating on the longer races where a wrong turn strands you in the middle of the country (with no stop lights).

Small complaints, but irritating enough that it will prevent me from playing it to its fullest.

Well, if anyone had anything at all to complain about the game, this was it. And yes, the lack of a retry option actually made me play the game far less than I would have if there was actually such an option right from the start.

I wonder whether there is any substance to the rumour (posted in this thread couple of weeks ago) that Criterion was implementing a retry option in the game but was planning to charge for it.

PantherLotus said:
Right...but why not have a list that I can check off? If they're gonna pack in so much why leave it up to chance that I'll find everything?

What about the ability to see what the event is before trying it? I have to go to a special map? Unnecessarily complicated if you ask me.

Welcome to the club. It will annoy you more and more as you progress in the game. Wait until you try one mode (burning route, i guess. don't remember exactly) where you will need specific car and you have to drive back to garage to select it. I always skipped it because of that.

Forced design decisions ruined this game for some.

EA said there will be a patch to allow retry. Don't know when and if it will cost or not? I think that patch will be included in some kind of DLC or special edition of the game.

Kccitystar

ElyrionX said:
Well, if anyone had anything at all to complain about the game, this was it. And yes, the lack of a retry option actually made me play the game far less than I would have if there was actually such an option right from the start.

I wonder whether there is any substance to the rumour (posted in this thread couple of weeks ago) that Criterion was implementing a retry option in the game but was planning to charge for it.

Charging for a retry option? I thought they had removed it from the start because they didn't want the people who play the game to deal with loading

Jaroof

I just bought this game today for PS3, along with Katamari Damacy, and Metroid Prime 3 :D

So far I'm loving it. Driving takes some getting used to, especially when you're in a race. It seems like turns come up really suddenly, and most of the time I barely have time to react. But I'll get used to it. Loving this game. When is the Jansen supposed to be released? And is it going to be free like the bike upgrade, or will we have to pay?

ElyrionX

MirageDwarf said:
Welcome to the club. It will annoy you more and more as you progress in the game. Wait until you try one mode (burning route, i guess. don't remember exactly) where you will need specific car and you have to drive back to garage to select it. I always skipped it because of that.

Yep, the Burning Routes made the lack of a retry feature extremely frustrating.

Aladuf

Banned
ElyrionX said:
I don't think that's a rumor, I'm pretty sure it was confirmed to be part of the Island/Party Pack DLC.

Retry is coming to the re-release of the game.

With all the new DLC that was announced, some of it has to be free, because it affects how the actual game will play online.

That new hot rod introduced new physics balance, and all the car physics are tweaked as of result. The physics/control tweak has to be free, because all online users on any version, no matter if they pay for any of the DLC, will need to have the same base when in an online game.

Retry, as a result, could be free, could be paid content. No idea where it's going to land. But the fact that they swept that so under the rug could be both good and bad. Good, as in, it's so trivial that they will add it in just any update. Bad, as in, EA has taken over their decision, and all the downloads are paid content and they are just going to milk the hell out of it.

Aladuf said:
I don't think that's a rumor, I'm pretty sure it was confirmed to be part of the Island/Party Pack DLC.
Island is a different pack than the Party pack.

As a quick summary, here's all that has been announced, in the order of annoucnment:

1) Party Pack
2) 4 Special Cars (individual purchases or bundled) - Jansen 88 Special is part of this.
3) Toy Cars - 9 "Funny Cars" based on existing popular cars (no idea how this will be sold as DLC)
4) 2 new boost system cars - (Hot Rod + ???)
4a) Re - tuned physics for all cars (Unclear if this will be free download)
4b) Retry (Unclear if this will be free download)
5) Big Surf Island, with all new stunts, billboards, and challanges

One more announcement is coming on the 16th

Flunkie said:
Do you guys think support will continue (for consoles) even after The Ultimate Box/Burnout Party?
Hard to say. What's left to add? Adding cars are nice, and some fans will appreciate it. The island is also the typical addition to any racing games. But what could possibly left to do.

Depending on sales, I can see a few more cars, and maybe changing it up again by re-introducing track based racing in the city.

Ydahs

Just bought the game and loving it so far. Is the voice over the same from SSX 3?

As a new PS3 owner (only had a Wii) I'm still being blown away by the graphics of the games, and Burnout is no exception (surprisingly, only the MGS4 demo didn't blow me away). The game looks awesome and it has a real sense of speed. Crashing never felt so good!

Ydahs said:
Just bought the game and loving it so far. Is the voice over the same from SSX 3?
Yes, it's the same guy. In fact, if you sit idle for a while, he does drop a "hint" about a certain Snowboarding slope he would like to visit.

immy

Banned
Ydahs said:
Does this game have any DLC available? Can't find any in the PSN store, but I've heard mentions of DLC before.

No Criterion have stated again and again they won't produce dlc for burnout, the sequel burnout paradise 2 comes out this feb though

Aladuf

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
Island is a different pack than the Party pack.
Oh yeah, I know. My bad, the way I typed it seemed off, I meant it more like "the Island or Party Pack DLC", I wasn't sure which one.

Either way, the restart option will finally be there for all those who wanted it,
not me :p

PantherLotus said:

Oh God, not another one who cries about retry.

Fuck it, if you don't want to play the game it's meant to be played, you should stop now. Go back to your NFS Most Wanted and pick the events without ever learning the streets.

That's how you play Burnout Paradise, drive around, hit Smashes for shortcuts, get Billboards and unlock Events around the map to learn the map, which is usefull when goin online playing Challenges or do Races. Because the next time, you're goin to bitch about not winning any game, because you got lost.

And yes, you are a schmuck after reading those posts.

Returners

What? Retry is coming to Paradise City? Seriously, there had been so much discussion before its not even funny. Great that they're adding it in to *ehem* calm those people.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Yes, it's the same guy. In fact, if you sit idle for a while, he does drop a "hint" about a certain Snowboarding slope he would like to visit.
I don't think he does it anymore, now when you idle you get classical music.

Finally got around to picking this up used for $20 bucks. Cool game but just as I sort of imagined an open world world burnout is equally interesting and annoying at the same time. I'll have to put more time in before I can give any real quality impressions.

tino

Banned
Kccitystar said:
Charging for a retry option? I thought they had removed it from the start because they didn't want the people who play the game to deal with loading

Do you know what I do on some of the bruning route races? I quit the game and restart as soon as I screw up the race. Thank god I am 2 burning routes away from the Elite license.

But that's not the most annoyng thing though, the fog is.

tino said:
Do you know what I do on some of the bruning route races? I quit the game and restart as soon as I screw up the race. Thank god I am 2 burning routes away from the Elite license.

But that's not the most annoyng thing though, the fog is.
Fog? Oh right, new update added weather.

Set you race time to daytime then.

Top Bottom