• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I just played online for the first time and was really confused:lol
I fucking suck at this game and I get lost cinstantly.
Is there a way to just jump into an online match of road rage?

Mar

AlphaTwo00 said:
I've completed the game pre-patch, so I have no idea. I assumed that it's the same as any other race.

Fog is different. You can't switch it off and you can't get rid of it by cycling the day / night cycle. I finished the game pre-patch too, but the fog is damn annoying when you're doing time trials on roads. It pretty much makes it impossible to do your best. I hope they fix it in a patch. So you can turn it off.

crispyben

Staccat0 said:
I just played online for the first time and was really confused:lol
I fucking suck at this game and I get lost cinstantly.
Is there a way to just jump into an online match of road rage?
It happened to most of us. The only way not to get lost is to learn your way around the city offline, which is made easier by the lack of a retry option...

To play road rage, just search for a game that is playing it in the list of available games.

Threi

notag
i tend to just fool around in this game, but it is currently the game i play the most on 360 (despite initially hating it)

what difference a change in soundtrack makes huh? :lol

Threi said:
i tend to just fool around in this game, but it is currently the game i play the most on 360 (despite initially hating it)

what difference a change in soundtrack makes huh? :lol
What soundtrack change? Just classical? Or did you put a "All Avril" playlist?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
StickyFingers said:
Oh God, not another one who cries about retry.

Fuck it, if you don't want to play the game it's meant to be played, you should stop now. Go back to your NFS Most Wanted and pick the events without ever learning the streets.

That's how you play Burnout Paradise, drive around, hit Smashes for shortcuts, get Billboards and unlock Events around the map to learn the map, which is usefull when goin online playing Challenges or do Races. Because the next time, you're goin to bitch about not winning any game, because you got lost.

And yes, you are a schmuck after reading those posts.

:lol :lol did I hurt your feelings?

"The way it was meant to be played" will never make up for shortcomings and irritations. You should never have to turn off this behemoth console and turn it back on so you can retry a race. No excuses, no matter how much you love this game.

PantherLotus said:
You should never have to turn off this behemoth console and turn it back on so you can retry a race. No excuses, no matter how much you love this game.
Err. You turn off the system to retry? I just drive right back to the race. :lol

Threi

notag
AlphaTwo00 said:
as one poster would put it so eloquently i took advantage of the custom soundtrack feature of the 360 and pumped some wild "jungle booty" music while crashing into shit.

Aladuf

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
I don't know what it was, but before the PS3 version got the update with Custom Soundtracks I would cut down the soundtrack in the game to about 5-6 tracks that I really liked and whenever Avril came on I fucking tore it up on the road.

I remember when we'd have full rooms of GAF games back when it came out and we'd all set our soundtrack to Avril at the same time and just go nuts at the air field. Epic times.

Threi

notag
AlphaTwo00 said:
Err. You turn off the system to retry? I just drive right back to the race. :lol
i take another race/marked man/stunt challenge back to the starting point of the original race.

Threi said:
i take another race/marked man/stunt challenge back to the starting point of the original race.
Hi5. The proper way to do it. That, or just drive around to the starting point looking for secret gates.

ElyrionX

PantherLotus said:
did I hurt your feelings?

"The way it was meant to be played" will never make up for shortcomings and irritations. You should never have to turn off this behemoth console and turn it back on so you can retry a race. No excuses, no matter how much you love this game.

Yeah, the Burnout Paradise defenders are actually extremely annoying. "The way it was meant to be played" is a very poor and flimsy defence of a flawed design decision. So many people have come out and said that a retry option would actually make the game better and more tolerable in the long run and yet the Criterion fanboys refuse to see the truth of it.

Threi said:

Yeah and how the hell would you know whether that race will take you back to the starting point of the original race without first initiating it?

crispyben

ElyrionX said:
How the hell would you know whether that race will take you back to the starting point of the original race without first initiating it?
The colored dots at each intersection on the map (press select) tells you where a race or burning route takes you (yes, I'm part of the BPDF)...

PantherLotus said:
And I agree with a retry option for those who cannot handle it, but I actually learned more about the map and found shortcuts driving back.

However, the game has been out for almost a year. There's no point in bringing this up time and time again in the official thread.

TheKurgan

Stupid question but I am too lasy to read all 4,000+ posts in this thread and figure it out on my own.

I want to buy Burnout Paradise for my PS3 but don't know if I should wait for the "Ultimate Box", buy the current retail version, or just download it from the PSN? Is there any advantage to the PSN version (full HD install) over the disk version? Does the new edition coming out in February include anything I can't get as a free download at a later date?

Thanks.

TheKurgan said:
Stupid question but I am too lasy to read all 4,000+ posts in this thread and figure it out on my own.

I want to buy Burnout Paradise for my PS3 but don't know if I should wait for the "Ultimate Box", buy the current retail version, or just download it from the PSN? Is there any advantage to the PSN version (full HD install) over the disk version? Does the new edition coming out in February include anything I can't get as a free download at a later date?

Thanks.
Retail and PSN are identical right now. Price and feature is identical. However, PSN benefits from being sharable, and Disk benefits from being a disk.

The new edition will include all the new content, most of which will be Paid DLC for the current retail and PSN version.

Unknown cost for the DLC and the Ultimate Box.

TheKurgan

AlphaTwo00 said:
Retail and PSN are identical right now. Price and feature is identical. However, PSN benefits from being sharable, and Disk benefits from being a disk.

The new edition will include all the new content, most of which will be Paid DLC for the current retail and PSN version.

Unknown cost for the DLC and the Ultimate Box.

Cool thanks - New Edition it is.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
WasabiKing said:
And I agree with a retry option for those who cannot handle it, but I actually learned more about the map and found shortcuts driving back.

However, the game has been out for almost a year. There's no point in bringing this up time and time again in the official thread.

I just received the game and posted in a still-active thread with my thoughts, and mentioned the retry thing exactly once. I didn't realize this was a sore subject...but if I can't join the party and share my new-found joy in this game with a like-minded audience...what's the point?

I agree with the idea that it will help me learn the map, but I'm not sure that being able to retry wouldn't do the same.

Mar

PantherLotus said:
"The way it was meant to be played" will never make up for shortcomings and irritations. You should never have to turn off this behemoth console and turn it back on so you can retry a race

What in god's name are you talking about?

AlphaTwo00 said:

What "new edition"? The Ultimate box will only include the Party pack, arguably the least interesting paid DLC coming.

crispyben

Philanthropist said:
What "new edition"? The Ultimate box will only include the Party pack, arguably the least interesting paid DLC coming.
This. Since we don't know the price point yet for the Ultimate Box on consoles($39.99 for PC), or the price of the DLC which is included in it (just the Party Pack), it's hard to say if you're better off waiting, TheKurgan.

Philanthropist said:
Unless my interpretation is wrong, the Ultimate Box is rolling in all the DLC they have just announced.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Unless my interpretation is wrong, the Ultimate Box is rolling in all the DLC they have just announced.

I'm afraid you are wrong.

http://www.criteriongames.com/packs/coming_soon.php

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box

In February 2009 we release Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. This packaged product is an enhanced version of Burnout Paradise including all the free updates so far, plus the Burnout Paradise Party Pack.

The new vehicles and the new island will still be paid DLC. I'd just get the PSN version if I were someone on the fence.

paparazzo

Doesn't look like the Ultimate Box has the new islands or cars

But, if you haven't got Burnout Paradise or you're not an online-connected player, we wanted to give you the chance to join in the fun!

So, this is why we're releasing Burnout™ Paradise: The Ultimate Box - a new packaged game for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and for the first time ever - on the PC!

That's right, PC players will finally be able to experience a Burnout game, and we've been working hard to make sure it's something very special indeed.

The Ultimate Box will be available in Feb 2009 and will contain:

* The original Burnout Paradise
* Codename: Cagney
* Burnout Bikes
* Burnout Paradise Party
* Plus a mountain of new refinements
http://www.criteriongames.com/packs/ultimate_box.php
Edit:beaten

crispyben

AlphaTwo00 said:
Well then. The Ultimate Box is retarded. What's the damn point?
I guess it's a way to give a year-old game some visibility on shelves, since the newly-included retry option will entice people who had been hesitating to purchase the game... Also, you should consider the people whose consoles are not connected to the internet and who couldn't get the free GCC that the Ultimate Box includes. Of course, it is definitely not aimed at those who already have the game.

icechai

AlphaTwo00 said:

i'm surprised more people don't do the sensible retry option and just save around garage's near your race, then just load the game if you fail and you're too far away from the race, much faster than driving back across the entire map...

tino

Banned
I just got the Elite license, can't remember the last time I spent 73 hours on a game (except Tetris.) I got the gold car and shit. And then realized there is no trophie for Elite license. You get trophies for D, C, B, A, Burnout licenses but not the hardest one. Sony that's mess up.

AlphaTwo00 said:

Fuck off, its easy to do it than driving back, especially for burning routes that go deep into the mountains. You just press X and start a couple times while browse the web for a couple minutes. Don't tell me how to play a game.

crispyben

tino said:
I just got the Elite license, can't remember the last time I spent 73 hours on a game (except Tetris.) I got the gold car and shit. And then realized there is no trophie for Elite license. You get trophies for D, C, B, A, Burnout licenses but not the hardest one. Sony that's mess up.
This is because the trophies aren't retroactive. As for the gold finish, I find the platinum one much more tasteful :p

icechai

tino said:
Fuck off, its easy to do it than driving back, especially for burning routes that go deep into the mountains. You just press X and start a couple times while browse the web for a couple minutes. Don't tell me how to play a game.

again, helpful tip = save at junkyard near burning route, then just load if you dont want to drive back...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
crispyben said:
since the newly-included retry option will entice people who had been hesitating to purchase the game...

Wait....so they're including a retry option in this upcoming enhanced box package? Can you please provide a link or where did you hear this?

Flunkie

Banned
I just now noticed that with v1.5, you can't input the codes for the special promo cars (Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) anywhere.

crispyben

Flunkie said:
I just now noticed that with v1.5, you can't input the codes for the special promo cars (Walmart, Best Buy, etc.) anywhere.
Since the sponsor cars were incentives to buy from this or that brick-and-mortar store, there's little sense to having them in the digitally distributed version of the game...

tino said:
Sony? I'm pretty sure they didn't set the trophy list for Burnout.

ElyrionX

For those of you who like Burnout Paradise, you should give Midnight Club: Los Angles a shot. It's a better racer, IMO, and thoroughly surprised me after I picked it up for cheap from Play-Asia.

crispyben

ElyrionX said:
For those of you who like Burnout Paradise, you should give Midnight Club: Los Angles a shot. It's a better racer, IMO, and thoroughly surprised me after I picked it up for cheap from Play-Asia.
Would you say so if what I liked most in Burnout Paradise was discovering the open world and the online challenges?

jett

D-Member
You know...I looked down upon paying for DLC..but after investing 20hour+ on Burnout I'm ashamed to admit I'm gonna pay for that shit day one. :p

crispyben

bune duggy said:
Have they mentioned anything about Ultimate playing with regular copies of the game?
They haven't announced anything related to compatibility, though the main issue lies with the island and not the various versions of the game, which have been compatible so far.

Why are they trying to charge PC gamers for content? Nobody is going to buy it when they're being set free in Paradise City for the first time. People weren't bored of the console game for months and they expect us to pay for content out the gate. No dice, EA.

Returners

AlphaTwo00 said:
Hi5. The proper way to do it. That, or just drive around to the starting point looking for secret gates.

I just turn on the Street Rules and race the clock back, and if i really feel like it, showtime it.

Top Bottom