• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
AlphaTwo00 said:
This. I wonder why we havn't seen people bitch about any other open world game that doesn't have split screen.
They certainly do. But they get shouted down by the people who say that it's technically impossible. Well, if Sandlot can make an awesome split screen game like Earth Defense Force 2017 on less than a quarter of the A+ titles' budget I'm sure other sandbox games could have worked something out for split screen multiplayer. Even if can only take place in instanced areas (like Crackdown's awesome Time Attack mode).
Alex Ward : OK. It seems there are several members of the "community" who seem to enjoy messing things up for others rather than just enjoying the game.

Enough is enough. We're done with coming to our forum and seeing a small minority of "members" coming to post offensive and abusive posts.

And many of you seem to be participants of this behaviour.

(Yes we do read all of your other forums, and see how you enjoy causing trouble.)

So here's the deal - either this stuff stops TODAY or WE WILL STOP ALL INTERACTION going forward.

This means everything - no podcast, no forum, no blog, nothing.

It really is up to you guys. But we don't need this.
Alex is coming off like a whiny kid. I don't frequent the Criterion boards but it's probably no worse then GAF. Why should everyone suffer because they can't properly moderate their own forums?

SapientWolf said:
They certainly do. But they get shouted down by the people who say that it's technically impossible. Well, if Sandlot can make an awesome split screen game like Earth Defense Force 2017 on less than a quarter of the A+ titles' budget I'm sure other sandbox games could have worked something out for split screen multiplayer. Even if can only take place in instanced areas (like Crackdown's awesome Time Attack mode).
Was Crackdown's Time Attack split-screen?

The EDF comparison is completely apples-to-oranges. And developer talent is also pretty irrelevant -- it's just straight-up technically infeasible to include split-screen in open world games, even for developers as talented as Criterion. It's not completely impossible, but given current technology, it would require so many sacrifices and workarounds that the rest of the game would noticeably suffer as a result.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
rohlfinator said:
Was Crackdown's Time Attack split-screen?

The EDF comparison is completely apples-to-oranges. And developer talent is also pretty irrelevant -- it's just straight-up technically infeasible to include split-screen in open world games, even for developers as talented as Criterion. It's not completely impossible, but given current technology, it would require so many sacrifices and workarounds that the rest of the game would noticeably suffer as a result.
Time attack wasn't split screen, but since it was limited to such a small section of the world I don't see any technical reason why it couldn't be.

I'm not advocating making the entire game split screen, but even instanced races in a smaller arena would be better than nothing. I made the EDF comparison because the levels were pretty massive. 2 player racing wouldn't be a problem in levels of a similar scale. Yeah, I know the gameplay is focused on being in a sandbox but hot seat multiplayer is a serious cop out.

Alex ward needs to stfu and keep working on dlc for the game.

I really am going to give that guy some choice words if I ever run into him in public.

crispyben said:
True, but I had made all my discoveries before that, so... Just finished all the bike challenges, and I'm now 444/490! Only 6-, 7- and 8-player challenges left though, so it takes a while each time I go online to get a good game going... My PSN if you want to play with me (I take requests): Grandben
Yeah, I still need to finish a few challenges with the bikes. I'm only on Live.
CajoleJuice said:
EVERY OTHER BURNOUT HAD IT. Ugh. I'm gonna bitch and complain, but I fucking bought it, so I'm still the loser here. Fuck.
Yup, but every other Burnout doesn't have an open world, it only has track and Crash locations. Splitscreen in open world would slow shit down and wouldn't be fun playing if it were.

SapientWolf said:
Time attack wasn't split screen, but since it was limited to such a small section of the world I don't see any technical reason why it couldn't be.

I'm not advocating making the entire game split screen, but even instanced races in a smaller arena would be better than nothing. I made the EDF comparison because the levels were pretty massive. 2 player racing wouldn't be a problem in levels of a similar scale. Yeah, I know the gameplay is focused on being in a sandbox but hot seat multiplayer is a serious cop out.
EDF, while massive, isn't keeping a lot of things on track at any given point. The worst EDF has is hundreds of enemies, and their collision calculation/physics aren't heavy at all. If two cars in BP were at approximately close areas, traffic generation and calculation(assuming you are running into stuff) can be more taxing, and maybe it's something that what they have built right now won't and cannot support.

Also, EDF's maps, while large, are still very self contained. Textures, models, animations are still limited. At worst, you may get around 6-7 variants on enemies. Hill texture/models are often repeated, and their destruction models are simple. Also, remember that the framerate drops to absolutely unplayable at points. It's easy to see why BP right now could run into problems. If I was driving in the mountains on one split screen, and P2 was in the City, could you imagine the problem either system would have trying to load and cache two sets of traffic data, models, textures, and world data?

Agent X

I just noticed (while looking at a friend's trophies) that they added the Party Pack trophies to the trophy list on PlayStation 3.

AlphaTwo00 said:
This. I wonder why we havn't seen people bitch about any other open world game that doesn't have split screen.
I'm bitching about a RACING GAME that doesn't have splitscreen. A racing game where all its predecessors had splitscreen. I'm not talking about GTA4, or Fallout 3, or Assassin's Creed.

Agent X

I suppose it would be a good idea for me to post the trophy list.

Every player succeeds in a Party Round (Bronze)
Awarded when every player successfully completes a Party Round.

Complete your 1st Party Round (Bronze)
Awarded when you complete the 1st Round of your 1st Party.

Every player take a photo for a Party (Bronze)
Awarded when every player in a Party takes a photo of themselves. Requires a USB camera to be connected.

Every player succeeds in every Party Game (Silver)
Awarded upon completing a Party in which every player successfully completes every Game of every Round.

Complete a Small Party (Silver)
Awarded when 2-4 players have completed a Party.

Complete a Big Party (Silver)
Awarded when 5-7 players have completed a Party.

Complete a Massive Party (Silver)
Awarded when 8 players have completed an 8 Round Party.

Aladuf

Banned
Thanks for posting the trophy list. I can't believe I never got around to getting a USB camera or PS Eye for Burnout even though I always wanted to. I might pick up a cheap one sometime and finally get these camera trophies.

Mar

Agent X said:
I suppose it would be a good idea for me to post the trophy list.

Every player succeeds in a Party Round (Bronze)
Awarded when every player successfully completes a Party Round.

Complete your 1st Party Round (Bronze)
Awarded when you complete the 1st Round of your 1st Party.

Every player take a photo for a Party (Bronze)
Awarded when every player in a Party takes a photo of themselves. Requires a USB camera to be connected.

Every player succeeds in every Party Game (Silver)
Awarded upon completing a Party in which every player successfully completes every Game of every Round.

Complete a Small Party (Silver)
Awarded when 2-4 players have completed a Party.

Complete a Big Party (Silver)
Awarded when 5-7 players have completed a Party.

Complete a Massive Party (Silver)
Awarded when 8 players have completed an 8 Round Party.

These are going to be pretty lame to get by yourself. Being a 'pass the controller' play style, you will just sit there and do all the turns.

At least, that's what I'm doing

Edit: Just checked xbox.com. Two new achievements are up:

Perfect Party Game
Complete a Party game where every player scores in every round

Massive Party Game
Complete a Party game of 8 rounds with 8 players

There's a new icon for the game too.

12dsb2JhbC9ECgQNGwEfVl9VL2ljb24vMC84MDAwAAAAAAAAAPibdpY=.jpg

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
miyamotofreak said:
That is sad considering how awesome Criterion is with the community.

True, but play with randoms on Live and you see what kind of people are out there and what lengths they will go to for attention. Look at the 1up video deal last night and that chat. Filled with stupidity. I firmly believe that only about 5-10% of the people on the net are dumbass attention whores who get their jollies by being a-holes. But that small percentage can screw things up pretty easily for the others.

If I was Criterion, I would shut down the boards and just have the podcast. They are developers for god sakes, not board mods.

Now with that said, Alex has always come off as a bit of a diva.

CajoleJuice said:
I'm bitching about a RACING GAME that doesn't have splitscreen. A racing game where all its predecessors had splitscreen. I'm not talking about GTA4, or Fallout 3, or Assassin's Creed.
I'm wondering where you are in the MC:LA and NFS:Underground threads then. Face it, right now, there are no split screen open world racing game. The tech being used right now just cannot do it without major sacrifices in open-worldness or other issues.

crispyben

Mar_ said:
These are going to be pretty lame to get by yourself. Being a 'pass the controller' play style, you will just sit there and do all the turns.

At least, that's what I'm doing
That's what I'll do too, since my brother's in Italy :(

Thanks for the list Agent X, looks like these are gimmies!

^Seriously.

Anyway... Just wanted to say that I'm having a blast playing this game [hooray for me], and I'm at 49%. Can I expect it to get better? Harder? I know it gets faster for damn sure...

BTW, I love doing marked man with the BRT Inferno Van. :lol

Mar

RJNavarrete said:
^Seriously.

Anyway... Just wanted to say that I'm having a blast playing this game [hooray for me], and I'm at 49%. Can I expect it to get better? Harder? I know it gets faster for damn sure...

BTW, I love doing marked man with the BRT Inferno Van. :lol

It gets harder the more events you clear. Eventually the last few events you need to do can be really hard, even cheap to some extent (traffic that steers toward you, attackers that spawn all around you no matter which way you go). But yes, the game also gets much better.

Most people seem to feel a lull in motivation around the 75% to 90% mark. It does get a bit tiring around there. But then the game picks up again and you can find yourself playing it for another few hundred hours. And no, I'm not exaggerating.

crispyben

Mar_ said:
It gets harder the more events you clear. Eventually the last few events you need to do can be really hard, even cheap to some extent (traffic that steers toward you, attackers that spawn all around you no matter which way you go). But yes, the game also gets much better.

Most people seem to feel a lull in motivation around the 75% to 90% mark. It does get a bit tiring around there. But then the game picks up again and you can find yourself playing it for another few hundred hours. And no, I'm not exaggerating.
This man speaks the truth. Keep at it and get the Criterion Elite. Online possibilities are endless. By the way, 490/490, woohoo! :D

Mar

crispyben said:
By the way, 490/490, woohoo! :D

Congrats!

I haven't played online for quite some time (been stuck in Mirror's Edge and Left 4 Dead land). How's the online community these days? Still thriving? When I was playing you'd get a full screen of games to join 24/7. I'm interested to know if that's still the case.

crispyben

Mar_ said:
I haven't played online for quite some time (been stuck in Mirror's Edge and Left 4 Dead land). How's the online community these days? Still thriving? When I was playing you'd get a full screen of games to join 24/7. I'm interested to know if that's still the case.
While trying to get all the challenges done, I mostly hosted my own games, so I had very different experiences depending on who joined that day... But I made several "friends" along the way, helpful people who popped back up and helped me finish. Most important, we had fun doing it together!

That said, when I looked for a game to join, there were around 60 or 70 each time, I guess (1/4 bikes, 3/4 cars), with maybe 30% of them being people alone in their rooms. So yeah, on the PS3, this game is not dead yet, and the February DLC will keep it alive even longer I think.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
James-Ape said:
I Love Burnout Paradise. But I think in addition to the Bikes they should have added Segways.
You spoiled the next content pack!

oops I've said too much... >_>

Willeth

Mar_ said:
I'm surprised the achievements are up already. We can't get them for another 2 months...
They did this with Marble Blast as well. There's been three new achievements there for a while, two of which are impossible to get and one which was only just attainable with the free DLC recently.

Is all of the party pack controller-passing? No split-screen at all?

Mar

crispyben said:
So the latest CrashTV reveals that Big Surf Island will have 15 Super Jumps in addition to the 100 smashes and 45 billboards revealed in CrashTV 14 :)

Nice. I haven't watched it yet. Do they say how they are splitting the game with the paid content and the non paid? Like, is the island a separate game by itself and you can't drive from one to the other?

crispyben

Mar_ said:
Nice. I haven't watched it yet. Do they say how they are splitting the game with the paid content and the non paid? Like, is the island a separate game by itself and you can't drive from one to the other?
No, they'll tackle that another time, maybe when they visit Big Surf Island, since they've started a series of guided tours of the boroughs of Paradise City. This week, it's Palm Bay Heights...

Aladuf

Banned
crispyben said:
So the latest CrashTV reveals that Big Surf Island will have 15 Super Jumps in addition to the 100 smashes and 45 billboards revealed in CrashTV 14 :)
Very cool, can't wait for the island next year. I spent about 3 hours literally just driving around the city the other day and just explored everything that I've already explored for the past year in the game. :lol

Also, it was great to see Burnout pick up Racing game of the year from the VGA's last night. :D

Keikoku

Banned
So GAF, I'm thinking about picking this up. But I have some questions : I heard about the minimap & restart problems : has it been fixed by some patch, free DLC or something ?

Thanks guys.

Aladuf

Banned
Keikoku said:
So GAF, I'm thinking about picking this up. But I have some questions : I heard about the minimap & restart problems : has it been fixed by some patch, free DLC or something ?

Thanks guys.
I'm not too sure what the minimap problems might be, but as for the restart option, it's going to be patched in with the Island next February but that'll be paid DLC. IMO, lack of a restart option isn't a big deal because races and all the other types of events are fairly easy but you'll have plenty of people saying otherwise.

What Aladuf said. The restart option should mostly be a non-issue. The game is not intended for you to obsessively do one event over and over until you win it, and I can't imagine how such a thing could possibly make it more fun. Unless you plan on getting 100% complete--and until you get close to that--you will always have lots of stuff to do mere seconds away. (The one exception is Burning Routes, which are for specific vehicles; those could benefit from a restart.)

Liabe Brave said:
What Aladuf said. The restart option should mostly be a non-issue. The game is not intended for you to obsessively do one event over and over until you win it, and I can't imagine how such a thing could possibly make it more fun. Unless you plan on getting 100% complete--and until you get close to that--you will always have lots of stuff to do mere seconds away. (The one exception is Burning Routes, which are for specific vehicles; those could benefit from a restart.)

Personally I never understood the restarting argument anyway. When I fail an event I just move on to the nearest one or drive around for a bit, it's not like I have any attachment to the event. Granted it is a break from the series, but the game was never advertised as anything different from that, and it doesn't make sense to me to go into it expecting anything like a traditional racing game.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I haven't kept on on this game or even played the demo. I have, however, heard great things about the DLC and decided to ask my wife to snag it for Christmas.
How much of the DLC is free and what are the "must buys" that are not?

I loved burnout 3 but skipped revenge.

Staccat0 said:
I haven't kept on on this game or even played the demo. I have, however, heard great things about the DLC and decided to ask my wife to snag it for Christmas.
How much of the DLC is free and what are the "must buys" that are not?

I loved burnout 3 but skipped revenge.

IIRC, all of the DLC currently released is free. The upcoming packs including the additional vehicles, island, and planes are projected to cost spacebucks, though.

Pachael

Peronthious said:
Personally I never understood the restarting argument anyway. When I fail an event I just move on to the nearest one or drive around for a bit, it's not like I have any attachment to the event. Granted it is a break from the series, but the game was never advertised as anything different from that, and it doesn't make sense to me to go into it expecting anything like a traditional racing game.

It's the break from the series, as well as the fact that the competition in overworld racing such as NFS Underground and Midnight Club LA that do have restarts to races etc. that make Burnout Paradise's lack of restart annoying.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Peronthious said:
IIRC, all of the DLC currently released is free. The upcoming packs including the additional vehicles, island, and planes are projected to cost spacebucks, though.
sweet! Thanks.

ph15h

Neo Member
LM4sure said:
The game definitely needs a restart option. It also needs an online lobby. The current online play is broken.

Or just multiple profiles and saves.

Yeah an online lobby would be nice, though... for the broken-up modes that are coming later.

crispyben

LM4sure said:
The game definitely needs a restart option. It also needs an online lobby. The current online play is broken.
Uh, what? Please explain how this seamless transition from offline to online is broken? Please elaborate on how it's a pain in the ass to join a friend's game by pushing maybe three buttons? Please tell me how you haven't seen the lobby where you can chose to join any open game while knowing how many people there are and what they are doing? Thanks.

ph15h said:
Or just multiple profiles and saves.
You can have as many profiles (and saves) as you want on your PS3 (I don't know about the Xbox 360)...

ph15h

Neo Member
crispyben said:
You can have as many profiles (and saves) as you want on your PS3 (I don't know about the Xbox 360)...

I was just referring his yearning for a restart option for the game. Different in game profiles will let you start over while preserving your old save without having to get rid of the original or creating a new system account and remembering to switch accounts.

Yeah, the ps3 lets you have multiple saves when there is a manual save option... auto-saves just keep overwriting.

crispyben

ph15h said:
I was just referring his yearning for a restart option for the game. Different in game profiles will let you start over while preserving your old save without having to get rid of the original or creating a new system account and remembering to switch accounts.

Yeah, the ps3 lets you have multiple saves when there is a manual save option... auto-saves just keep overwriting.
OK, that wasn't obvious at first.

Mar

LM4sure said:
It also needs an online lobby. The current online play is broken.

Uh... Have you ever played it online or did you just pull that out of your ass?

crispyben said:
Uh, what? Please explain how this seamless transition from offline to online is broken? Please elaborate on how it's a pain in the ass to join a friend's game by pushing maybe three buttons? Please tell me how you haven't seen the lobby where you can chose to join any open game while knowing how many people there are and what they are doing? Thanks.

Exactly. I have around 300 hours online alone logged. Never has there been a point where I thought anything was wrong, let alone broken.

Top Bottom