• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

speedpop said:
What's the problem Hans?

I suppose the post was worded wrongly, it's more of a question between which is better - BP or MC:LA. The PSN/retail debate I can figure out for myself.
Am I going crazy or am I the only one that noticed the double post...6 minutes apart.

Aladuf

Banned
CajoleJuice said:
Am I going crazy or am I the only one that noticed the double post...6 minutes apart.
*goes back to see*

:lol Completely missed that the first time. Either he's really at some crossroads or that is some delayed ass double posting.

birdman

Aladuf said:
irl or in-game? I don't know what to expect from you birdy.. you like to get crazy when driving (irl and in-game :lol)

Either. You never know when you might need to get a multiplier.

Mar

Metalic Sand said:
They rightfully deserve to release pay DLC, But dont go out and promise all these "Free" things and never deliver them as free content.

I already covered this but it sounds like you're just having a whinge for the sake of having a whinge. And where were you when they said the bikes were going to be a paid download but then they changed it to free? Did you have a meltdown then too because they went back on their 'promise'?

Again, Criterion have always said they are getting involved in the community and telling people what the fuck is going down, no hiding, no bullshit. It's either get news as it happens and as it changes, or, like any other developer, never hear anything for years because each news announcement needs to be signed in triplicate by 10 lawyers and a marketing campaign paid, signed and ready to roll out.

I mean seriously. There are many things in the world to complain about, and many things in the gaming industry to complain about. Criterion giving us at least 300 hours worth of gameplay from a single retail purchase and free downloads, and now a couple of packs you have to hand over some money for, just isn't something you can complain about. Really. This isn't even personal opinion, it's fact.

speedpop said:
What's the problem Hans?

I suppose the post was worded wrongly, it's more of a question between which is better - BP or MC:LA. The PSN/retail debate I can figure out for myself.
you double-posted after someone replied to your initial post. It was a little confusing, yes.

Mar_ said:
I already covered this but it sounds like you're just having a whinge for the sake of having a whinge. And where were you when they said the bikes were going to be a paid download but then they changed it to free? Did you have a meltdown then too because they went back on their 'promise'?

Things going free is different, because well... it's free! Your expectations were changed for the better and thus you really shouldn't hammer on them about it being free because, hey it was gonna cost you at first.

Again, Criterion have always said they are getting involved in the community and telling people what the fuck is going down, no hiding, no bullshit. It's either get news as it happens and as it changes, or, like any other developer, never hear anything for years because each news announcement needs to be signed in triplicate by 10 lawyers and a marketing campaign paid, signed and ready to roll out.

:lol

Hyperbole much? No one is saying it should be done that way... When you have no idea whether or not something is going to be free or cost money then you shouldn't say anything, just say you're looking into it. Say things haven't been decided yet, just don't say yeah it'll be free and then turn around and say it isn't anymore. You're giving them good expectations and then dashing them.

I mean seriously. There are many things in the world to complain about, and many things in the gaming industry to complain about. Criterion giving us at least 300 hours worth of gameplay from a single retail purchase and free downloads, and now a couple of packs you have to hand over some money for, just isn't something you can complain about. Really. This isn't even personal opinion, it's fact.

You have a point here, it's nothing really huge to complain about, people make mistakes. Discussing it isn't bad though, this is what we do.

Johnas

I could look this up somewhere else but I figured I'd probably get better info from a handful of helpful posters in this thread (Mar_, crispyben, etc.).

The only thing keeping me from getting 100% in this game are two Paradise Awards: the x10 and x20 Burnout chains. I'm a little confused as to how I do this. Do I have to not let go of the X (boost) button at all to make it work? The highest I've ever gotten it is x4. Do I basically have to travel all the way around the entire world at breakneck speed (without wrecking) to get the x20? I know I can brake to drift around turns, but I can't seem to tell if the game will let me slow down or let go of the boost button at all.

Actually, even when I'm doing this, it seems to reset back to zero even if I hold the boost button down sometimes.

Aladuf

Banned
birdman said:
Go to the Airport and boost around it, there's plenty of room to drift there without breaking the chain.
You sure?.. I mean have you done it since buying the game back yesterday? Because I've tried at the ballpark before (granted it's not the airport) and I thought it was said that one patch took out the ability to do retain the boost if you do it that way.

Johnas

birdman said:
Go to the Airport and boost around it, there's plenty of room to drift there without breaking the chain.

Oh snap. Why didn't I think of that. :lol

Aladuf said:
You sure, I mean have you done it since buying the game back yesterday? Because I've tried at the ballpark before and I thought it was said that one patch took out the ability to do retain the boost if you do it that way.

I'm playing this disc-based PS3 version, for what it's worth.

Mar

Johnas said:
I could look this up somewhere else but I figured I'd probably get better info from a handful of helpful posters in this thread (Mar_, crispyben, etc.).

The only thing keeping me from getting 100% in this game are two Paradise Awards: the x10 and x20 Burnout chains. I'm a little confused as to how I do this. Do I have to not let go of the X (boost) button at all to make it work? The highest I've ever gotten it is x4. Do I basically have to travel all the way around the entire world at breakneck speed (without wrecking) to get the x20? I know I can brake to drift around turns, but I can't seem to tell if the game will let me slow down or let go of the boost button at all.

Actually, even when I'm doing this, it seems to reset back to zero even if I hold the boost button down sometimes.

Grab a speed car and drive in the oncoming lane. The boost will continually chain for as long as you can go.

This achievement is a lot harder than it used to be. You used to be able to go somewhere like the baseball stadium and do drift loops forever, getting 99x boost chains. They fixed that in a patch though.

I believe you can still do the glitch where you boost into a pointy angle wall thing though. So that's probably your easiest option. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ya6zaOODRKU

Any angled wall like that will do. Just find one.

birdman

Aladuf said:
You sure?.. I mean have you done it since buying the game back yesterday? Because I've tried at the ballpark before (granted it's not the airport) and I thought it was said that one patch took out the ability to do retain the boost if you do it that way.

No, I'm just going by the assumption that the drifting will keeping it going. Not a constant drift but one each time you go around.

Johnas

Mar_ said:
Grab a speed car and drive in the oncoming lane. The boost will continually chain for as long as you can go.

This achievement is a lot harder than it used to be. You used to be able to go somewhere like the baseball stadium and do drift loops forever, getting 99x boost chains. They fixed that in a patch though.

I believe you can still do the glitch where you boost into a pointy angle wall thing though. So that's probably your easiest option. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ya6zaOODRKU

Any angled wall like that will do. Just find one.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I've never taken my PS3 online, so I may cheese my way after some attempts the way they intended.

crispyben

Johnas said:

This is actually easier than the 40x multiplier in stunt run, so don't sweat it. I got my 10x boost chain going north to south on the western-most road of the map (North/South Mountain Drive?), using a stunt car, but that was lucky, so I'm not sure about replicating it. For the 20x, I cheated: I set up an online race without traffic, and boosted around the I-88 in the wrong lane for almost two whole laps... Tah-dah! OK, that's a cop-out, but I didn't know better. Now I do :D

crispyben

So, today's CrashTV confirms the restart option in Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box... I guess it will be patched in the previous versions through a mandatory update which will also address various Island-related issues, and other changes brought on by the new packs. Can't wait for next February!

Aladuf

Banned
crispyben said:
So, today's CrashTV confirms the restart option in Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box... I guess it will be patched in the previous versions through a mandatory update which will also address various Island-related issues, and other changes brought on by the new packs. Can't wait for next February!
Good now noone can bitch about that anymore. :D

What am I saying? This is GAF, they'll find something new to bitch about regarding it. :p

I'll bitch that they're including it. It subverts the entire concept of the game and it's pandering to idiots who whine based on their preconceptions instead of evaluating something on its own merits.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
BobJustBob said:
I'll bitch that they're including it. It subverts the entire concept of the game and it's pandering to idiots who whine based on their preconceptions instead of evaluating something on its own merits.

I see nothing wrong with including it. It is an option, not something you have to use. If they can get more sales from including an option, then more power to them.

BobJustBob said:
If you're really bored Bob, go re-read my post history on how much I hated Alex Ward for not including a retry option. I am buying the game because they have finally got it through their thick skulls that it was beyond moronic to NOT include that since every Burnout up till this one had one.

This isn't every other Burnout. It's a new game that plays completely differently and doesn't need a retry option, and once it gets one people will play the game wrong and have less fun as a result. People need to be rescued from themselves.

BobJustBob said:
This isn't every other Burnout. It's a new game that plays completely differently and doesn't need a retry option, and once it gets one people will play the game wrong and have less fun as a result. People need to be rescued from themselves.

you're right for the biggest part of the game. the last couple of races/events need it though imo. at that point it can be really tedious to drive all the way back.

dskillzhtown

BobJustBob said:

Why are you so upset that it is getting the option? Is it going to take away any fun away from YOU playing it? If someone else is going to buy the game and get fun out of it because the option is included then what is the problem?

Mar

I don't think a retry is needed either. It will change the way the game is played and that's unfortunate. However, I don't really mind that they are putting it in. It just means more sales and more people playing the best game ever made.

Also, it will finally end all Burnout Paradise threads being shitted up by assholes crying about retry. Thank fuck.

Flunkie

Banned
Mar_ said:
I don't think a retry is needed either. It will change the way the game is played and that's unfortunate. However, I don't really mind that they are putting it in. It just means more sales and more people playing the best game ever made.

Also, it will finally end all Burnout Paradise threads being shitted up by assholes crying about retry. Thank fuck.
Who's he?

ultron87

BobJustBob said:

I generally agree with you, but if I'm just trying to get some Burning Routes done there is nothing more annoying than the lack of a retry button.

ultron87 said:
I generally agree with you, but if I'm just trying to get some Burning Routes done there is nothing more annoying than the lack of a retry button.

That is true. It kind of falls apart near the end of the game, but shhh.

Mar_ said:

Maybe if it had goddamn fucking local multiplayer.

Erebus

So I'm a bit confused about the "retry" option. Will they also patch it in the current version of the game or what?
Please say yes

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
CajoleJuice said:
Maybe if it had goddamn fucking local multiplayer.

Yesyesyesyesyesyes

Why does HD gaming have to mean the death of split-screen? Halo and GoW know what they're doing, and I thought they were the forerunners of high-budget mayhem.

dskillzhtown

BobJustBob said:
But they won't. They'll be robbing themselves of fun.

For a game that is so open and full of options, you seem to have a narrow view of what people can do with it to have fun.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
There are different difficulty settings in games for a reason: so that the gameplay can tailor to a particular gamers skills/tastes. You don't have to use the "Normal" setting just because it's the default one, just like you don't need to use the "retry" option just because it's there.

crispyben

DarkUSS said:
So I'm a bit confused about the "retry" option. Will they also patch it in the current version of the game or what?
Please say yes
Did you read my post? It seems the logical thing to do, but they haven't announced anything yet.

crispyben

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Is there a definitive answer on the price of the Ultimate Box (for consoles) versus the current $30 game plus all DLC?
No, not a hint, but it seems reasonable to think that it'll be around 40$, seeing as it includes all the free content plus the Party Pack (price TBA)...

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
SapientWolf said:
Which is why I had to buy a copy of Burnout Revenge even though I bought Burnout Paradise.

You know, I was thinking about that too... than I remebered that I didn't like BR nearly as much as Takedown, which is part of the Xbox Originals you can buy on the Marketplace if I'm not mistaken.
Uhmm, decisions decisions

A retry option is goin to be implemented in the game, huh? Well, that bitchin will stop. But a new wave of bitching will storm the forums in the form of how nobody knows there way around the map while playing Challenges or races.

I liked the no retry option, it makes you learn the map. The retry will mke the lazy even more lazier. Just don't scream when you can't win a race simply because you refuse to learn a map.

crispyben

StickyFingers said:
A retry option is goin to be implemented in the game, huh? Well, that bitchin will stop. But a new wave of bitching will storm the forums in the form of how nobody knows there way around the map while playing Challenges or races.

I liked the no retry option, it makes you learn the map. The retry will mke the lazy even more lazier. Just don't scream when you can't win a race simply because you refuse to learn a map.
I don't think we'll ever be able to reconcile the two sides of this debate, but I'm on yours, even though the last few events before the Criterion Elite license made me want this kind of option once I'd learned the map :D

crispyben said:
I don't think we'll ever be able to reconcile the two sides of this debate, but I'm on yours, even though the last few events before the Criterion Elite license made me want this kind of option once I'd learned the map :D
Maybe so for the last events, since most of the them end up in the Mountains and you always have to drive back, I'll give you that. However, it's always nice to find Smashes or Billboards on the way back. You'll always find something new to discover to make the drive back go faster.

Even now I learn new shortcuts and I'm pretty good findin my way around. :D

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
ahoyhoy said:
Yesyesyesyesyesyes

Why does HD gaming have to mean the death of split-screen? Halo and GoW know what they're doing, and I thought they were the forerunners of high-budget mayhem.

They're not running at 60fps in a huge open world.

Split-screen gaming is always a technical liability. A game is either designed for its limitations or suffers in some way due to it, hopefully only in terms of visual detail (which can however be extreme in some cases).

No matter what generation you're in, you won't see some games with split-screen.

crispyben

StickyFingers said:
Maybe so for the last events, since most of the them end up in the Mountains and you always have to drive back, I'll give you that. However, it's always nice to find Smashes or Billboards on the way back. You'll always find something new to discover to make the drive back go faster.

Even now I learn new shortcuts and I'm pretty good findin my way around. :D
True, but I had made all my discoveries before that, so... Just finished all the bike challenges, and I'm now 444/490! Only 6-, 7- and 8-player challenges left though, so it takes a while each time I go online to get a good game going... My PSN if you want to play with me (I take requests): Grandben

BobJustBob said:
Why are you still caring about this again? I've already stated my above feelings on the matter and most everyone elses' opinion on the retry option is it's not killing any animals or hurting anyone's feelings.

I just find it funny that you have bitter tears over such a great thing for the game that will bring new people to the new Burnout.

crispyben

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Is there a definitive answer on the price of the Ultimate Box (for consoles) versus the current $30 game plus all DLC?
Amazon has it up for PC on preorder for $39.99 and February 3rd, which would put the Party Pack DLC on January 29th maybe?

In related news, two new achievements (for the Party Pack?) showed up briefly on the Xbox side of things: Perfect Party Game and Massive Party Game.

In other news, Criterion Games pulled their forums... Don't know if it's permanent yet.

Alex Ward : OK. It seems there are several members of the "community" who seem to enjoy messing things up for others rather than just enjoying the game.

Enough is enough. We're done with coming to our forum and seeing a small minority of "members" coming to post offensive and abusive posts.

And many of you seem to be participants of this behaviour.

(Yes we do read all of your other forums, and see how you enjoy causing trouble.)

So here's the deal - either this stuff stops TODAY or WE WILL STOP ALL INTERACTION going forward.

This means everything - no podcast, no forum, no blog, nothing.

It really is up to you guys. But we don't need this.

Kaijima said:

Split-screen gaming is always a technical liability. A game is either designed for its limitations or suffers in some way due to it, hopefully only in terms of visual detail (which can however be extreme in some cases).

No matter what generation you're in, you won't see some games with split-screen.
EVERY OTHER BURNOUT HAD IT. Ugh. I'm gonna bitch and complain, but I fucking bought it, so I'm still the loser here. Fuck.

I hope there is more to this than "members" complaining about the paid DLC... If so this is really stupid to get worked up over what "members" say...

Kaijima said:

This. I wonder why we havn't seen people bitch about any other open world game that doesn't have split screen.

crispyben

UltimaPooh said:

I hope there is more to this than "members" complaining about the paid DLC... If so this is really stupid to get worked up over what "members" say...
Disgruntled banned members came back and posted NSFW pictures, which put CG in an unmanageable position... Sad.

Top Bottom